KCUMB vs THE WOLRD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

birdboybird

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
SDN loves KCUMB. The kcumb school forum has like 18 pages, dwarfing the rest. All I read is "KCUMB is the best!!! :cigar::pirate::kiss::cat::bookworm::bookworm::clap::clap:"""

So heres the questions. If i get accepted there should I just cancel all my interviews and attend?? Why the heck is everyone so PRO kcumb. Can any other schools light a candle to its awesomeness?

Not a troll, just wondering if I should blow off school/work to go to interviews if KCUMB will end up being my pick anyway.

V/R

(($$ is no matter to me, thanks Uncle Sam))

:zip::zip::zip::beat::banana::annoyed::troll::welcome::biglove::boom:

Members don't see this ad.

I didn't even apply to KCUMB. Any long-established DO school is going to take you places, and all the barriers that come with being a DO are going to be there at any school.

Admittedly I no longer follow this forum all that closely (I have that whole med school curriculum thing going on), but SDN has a few favorites. KCUMB, Nova, TCOM, MSU, and Western being some of the most popular. For good reason, as they're all great.

SDN loves KCUMB. The kcumb school forum has like 18 pages, dwarfing the rest. All I read is "KCUMB is the best!!!

So heres the questions. If i get accepted there should I just cancel all my interviews and attend?? Why the heck is everyone so PRO kcumb. Can any other schools light a candle to its awesomeness?

Not a troll, just wondering if I should blow off school/work to go to interviews if KCUMB will end up being my pick anyway.

V/R

(($$ is no matter to me, thanks Uncle Sam))

I think people enjoy that 1) it's a rigorous school that prides itself on working hard 2) they really are the definition of a community and seem to pick students who have the best fit to their mission and 3) it's well established (like Western, CCOM, MSU)

For me it was all those reasons along with knowing that I could be genuine here as well as not have to worry about weirdos/gunner-like mentalities that would cause disruption to the morale of the class.

If you have interviews at other schools that you feel you would enjoy then go to them still. You have nothing to lose!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I also think that we just happen to have a strong core of people that are all pumped up about it. Like a lot of us here on SDN have been jazzed up about starting school together and its like a ton of the top posters all are getting into KCUMB, that definitely exacerbates the love for the school.

I know I whole heartedly am pumped up. There are plenty of other awesome schools. But I got in here and so did a few friends on here. So all you are going to get from me is thumbs up heh.

Reactions: 1 users
DMU and TCOM.

Both have very strong programs and have board scores way above the national average. I am also hoping to go into a competitive residency and DMU offers amazing surgery training.

When I interviewed at both KCUMB and DMU, the faculty was amazing and the students were really cool. It really got me excited about both. Haven't gotten an interview at TCOM yet, but hopefully!

Reactions: 2 users
DMU and TCOM.

Both have very strong programs and have board scores way above the national average. I am also hoping to go into a competitive residency and DMU offers amazing surgery training.

When I interviewed at both KCUMB and DMU, the faculty was amazing and the students were really cool. It really got me excited about both. Haven't gotten an interview at TCOM yet, but hopefully!
yeaa TCOM is sick. If you are lucky enough to be in that 10% of out of staters to get in, then that's awesome

I cancelled all my interviews after I was accepted at DMU. After you find a place that's a good fit I say go for it

Obviously reputation, board scores, and all of the other things people talk about on here are important factors in choosing a school, but the best advice I can give is (really corny) listen to your heart. I read stuff on SDN about each of the schools I interviewed at beforehand (embarrassingly, even read through some threads from last year nearly entirely), but ultimately when I got there I realized that my perception of the school was not necessarily in line with what others had said. I intrinsically felt more at home at DMU than KCUMB, even though I expected to love KCUMB from what I had read! Didn't get warm fuzzy vibes from WesternU at all, even though others had posted great things about it and the people I interviewed with seemed to love it. I know Western is a great school, but probably not the best place *for me*. Make sure you go on a few interviews if you have the chance so you can feel things out for yourself.

Obviously reputation, board scores, and all of the other things people talk about on here are important factors in choosing a school, but the best advice I can give is (really corny) listen to your heart. I read stuff on SDN about each of the schools I interviewed at beforehand (embarrassingly, even read through some threads from last year nearly entirely), but ultimately when I got there I realized that my perception of the school was not necessarily in line with what others had said. I intrinsically felt more at home at DMU than KCUMB, even though I expected to love KCUMB from what I had read! Didn't get warm fuzzy vibes from WesternU at all, even though others had posted great things about it and the people I interviewed with seemed to love it. I know Western is a great school, but probably not the best place *for me*. Make sure you go on a few interviews if you have the chance so you can feel things out for yourself.

Can I ask if DMU will be your choice?

Members don't see this ad :)
Can I ask if DMU will be your choice?

Still waiting to hear from CCOM (home for me :)), but it will likely be my choice if I'm rejected there. Even if I do get into CCOM, DMU is gonna put up a fierce battle! I'm also seriously considering MSUCOM. Dat out of state tuition tho... :inpain:

Touros dont get much love on this forum...why

Still waiting to hear from CCOM (home for me :)), but it will likely be my choice if I'm rejected there. Even if I do get into CCOM, DMU is gonna put up a fierce battle! I'm also seriously considering MSUCOM. Dat out of state tuition tho... :inpain:

I saw your acceptance at MSU! Congrats! That OOS is just crazy though, good luck with CCOM! I'm sure you'll get in!

Also, is RowanSOM pretty well established as well? Never hear much about that place as well.

I saw your acceptance at MSU! Congrats! That OOS is just crazy though, good luck with CCOM! I'm sure you'll get in!

Also, is RowanSOM pretty well established as well? Never hear much about that place as well.

Good luck to you too :) Are you pretty set on KCUMB *back on thread topic lol*?

I think basically all of the public schools are pretty well established (OSUCOM, Rowan, TCOM, MSUCOM, OUHCOM) - but I also haven't heard much about Rowan.

I also did not feel good at Western. I can't really put my finger on it, but I felt much more at home at KCUMB and DMU.

Also, make sure you interview somewhere if you are the least bit interested. Going to interview could really change your perspective. For example, before my interviews, DMU was my second choice right behind TCOM and KCUMB was a hard third. After the interview I loved KCUMB and if I get into DMU as well, it's gonna make for a really tough decision.

Reactions: 1 users
KCUmb is where gods go to medical school obviously.

In all seriousness it just seems older schools get a lot of love on the forum. KCUMB PCOM and DMU for example. MSU gets love for being at a big university. NSU/western based on local.

Some schools gets lots of hate. Some justified (lucom) some not at all (NYIT/lecom/touros). Those schools are actually good.

KCUmb is where gods go to medical school obviously.

In all seriousness it just seems older schools get a lot of love on the forum. KCUMB PCOM and DMU for example. MSU gets love for being at a big university. NSU/western based on local.

Some schools gets lots of hate. Some justified (lucom) some not at all (NYIT/lecom/touros). Those schools are actually good.
KCUMB= gods only.

Reactions: 6 users

Rowan actually has their own affiliated hospital. Problem is, they are heavily in-state(90%). They have some of the best rotation opportunities in terms of DO schools IMO
KCUMB= gods only.

Whats a god to a non believer?

Rowan actually has their own affiliated hospital. Problem is, they are heavily in-state(90%). They have some of the best rotation opportunities in terms of DO schools IMO

Whats a god to a non believer?

" no church in the wild" kanye west

Don't cancel your other interviews. While I thought KCUMB was a solid school, it isn't my first choice. I thought the surrounding area was pretty ghetto, and I would definitely need to fly back to check out the surrounding suburbs before committing to 4 years there. Most schools will offer a good enough curriuculum to do well and succeed, but you also have to make sure the area and life outside of school matches your needs/wants.

Reactions: 4 users

Last edited:
Don't cancel your other interviews. While I thought KCUMB was a solid school, it isn't my first choice. I thought the surrounding area was pretty ghetto, and I would definitely need to fly back to check out the surrounding suburbs before committing to 4 years there. Most schools will offer a good enough curriuculum to do well and succeed, but you also have to make sure the area and life outside of school matches your needs/wants.

Totally agree with this. Make sure you feel safe in the area for sure. You dont wanna commit to a place where you are gonna feel out of place or uncomfortable.

Thoughts concerning the area surrounding the school are significantly blown out of proportion.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Thoughts concerning the area surrounding the school are significantly blown out of proportion.
Agreed... if you have ever lived even close to a major city thats not like San fran or something... its totally just an average suburb outside of a city. If you have ever lived anywhere near Chicago or Phili or something, then the area where KCUMB is at is definitely not bad at all... But its definitely just based on your perspective.

Agreed... if you have ever lived even close to a major city thats not like San fran or something... its totally just an average suburb outside of a city. If you have ever lived anywhere near Chicago or Phili or something, then the area where KCUMB is at is definitely not bad at all... But its definitely just based on your perspective.

Take a walk through the tenderloin in San Francisco...

Honestly the area around kcumb wasn't bad. It's blown way out of proportion unless you're coming from some small Midwestern town.

In reality it's only 2 years. Nearly 90% of students get their top 2 choice for where to spend their clinical year(s). With sites in Florida and Denver, safe to say you can get out if you want.

Take a walk through the tenderloin in San Francisco...

Honestly the area around kcumb wasn't bad. It's blown way out of proportion unless you're coming from some small Midwestern town.
There are parts of phili and Chicago that I would not go to with a half dozen armed marines with me. But I will admit that I have only been to California a few times. LA scares the poop out of me as well haha...

But your second point hits the nail on the head. Its absolutely not as pretty as DMU or MUCOM or some of the other midwest areas. The areas truthfully are just prettier there. Would I want to eventually settle down and live in a neighborhood where KCUMB is? Heck no... Do I think I can bear with it for 4 years, heck likely 2 years if I do my rotations out of state? Absolutely. Its not like Touro Harlem or something... its just not as nice as some other schools. I would say it is about average for most medical schools. Y'all ever been to Hopkins or University of Maryland's teaching hospitals?.... there is literally a ring around those campuses that you do not cross lest you step into gang territory... seriously. I am from that area... its scary man. I did not feel scared at KCUMB. But will I be walking around at 3am like a sketch ball? Nope.

I loved KCUMB and almost went there (loved KCOM a little more), and my best friend is living KCUMB. I think you'd very much enjoy it.

There are parts of phili and Chicago that I would not go to with a half dozen armed marines with me. But I will admit that I have only been to California a few times. LA scares the poop out of me as well haha...

But your second point hits the nail on the head. Its absolutely not as pretty as DMU or MUCOM or some of the other midwest areas. The areas truthfully are just prettier there. Would I want to eventually settle down and live in a neighborhood where KCUMB is? Heck no... Do I think I can bear with it for 4 years, heck likely 2 years if I do my rotations out of state? Absolutely. Its not like Touro Harlem or something... its just not as nice as some other schools. I would say it is about average for most medical schools. Y'all ever been to Hopkins or University of Maryland's teaching hospitals?.... there is literally a ring around those campuses that you do not cross lest you step into gang territory... seriously. I am from that area... its scary man. I did not feel scared at KCUMB. But will I be walking around at 3am like a sketch ball? Nope.
Walk around at 3am scratching your neck lol

I have many Dave Chapelle memes that I think would apply here, but I dont want to come off as offensive or insensitive haha...

I would not mind at all if I end up going to KCUMB, it really impressed me. The area is definitely not as bad as some people make it seem. But I wouldn't be too shocked if I see a baby standing on the corner late at night ;)

Don't get me wrong, I would happily attend KCUMB if I am even accepted, as it seems like a solid school that will give me an excellent education. The campus was nice enough, but nothing special. I agree that in comparision to many of the other 1 building DO schools, or run down schools in more rural areas, it is awesome.

I am just not (yet) sold on the area and KC as a city in general - but that could also be since I didnt get a chance to see much of the other areas. I don't think its a bad area per-sae, nor do i care at all about the "security" or any nonsense like that. More so that it just seemed like a ghost town in many areas that I walked through, when I went from the school to power & light. I come from a big city on the west coast, and I am used to vibrancy. To me the life outside of school is more important than the school itself, as a somewhat of a non-trad, i know that wherever I go, ill get an adequate education and will be up to me to do well on the boards regardless. But the community outside of the school, for me personally, is just as important if not more - as I dont plan on being a hardcore student first and sacrifice everything else I enjoy doing. At the end of the day, I will definitely adjust and make the best of things - and from what I have read there are some really nice neighbourhoods in KC. I just have to physically see them first haha.

Hence why It is a good idea to visit at least a few schools so you have things to compare to!

I'm surprised nobody says that KCUMB hands out a lot of acceptances also, and it may be another reason the number of pages to its thread is higher. Regardless, I interviewed there and felt it was an exceptional school. It was a tough decision to turn it down. But you will receive the same quality education at a number of the other schools. When you interview at places, the one that wows you the most should be the one you pick.

Reactions: 3 users
Good luck to you too :) Are you pretty set on KCUMB *back on thread topic lol*?

I think basically all of the public schools are pretty well established (OSUCOM, Rowan, TCOM, MSUCOM, OUHCOM) - but I also haven't heard much about Rowan.

Rowan was formerly umdnj before the merger. It was in the same medical school network as njms and robert wood johnson md schools.

After the merger, the school became affiliated with rowan university. It has maintained the same hospital networks, located on the same campus as it was before, etc. and is basically the same school as it was before minus the name change. It's a great school!

to reiterate, fit is everything. NYIT-COM gets a ton of hate on here, but it's definitely my top DO choice by a landslide. figure out what matters most to you in a school before canceling all your other interviews. another school might wow you

to reiterate, fit is everything. NYIT-COM gets a ton of hate on here, but it's definitely my top DO choice by a landslide. figure out what matters most to you in a school before canceling all your other interviews. another school might wow you

NYIT hate is 100% undeserved though. The school is great.

Does MCAT score average mean that a school is good? Higher MCAT> Better school?? Examples plox

How do you guys not rave about LECOM-B, they have the "highest COMLEX score in the country." How can you possibly beat that?

:bookworm:

Does MCAT score average mean that a school is good? Higher MCAT> Better school?? Examples plox

How do you guys not rave about LECOM-B, they have the "highest COMLEX score in the country." How can you possibly beat that?

:bookworm:
no, not necessarily

For instance, MUCOM has higher MCAT averages than KCUMB.

Then the touro's have higher averages than most DO schools (except maybe CCOM).

Touro and MUCOM are definitely not bad schools, but I wouldn't say they are stronger than other schools because of their averages... I would say that they are actually right around the middle, quality wise.

Some schools just look for different qualities in their applicants. Realistically so long as you are able to get above a base score (maybe a 24 or 25 in my mind) then you should not have too hard of a time on boards in med school - ultimately that is the purpose of the MCAT . Historically speaking, look back 10-15 years at MD schools and most of their averages are where newer DO schools are at now. So its literally just the schools changing what they want, based upon socioeconomic factors. That change does not necessarily mean the school is better or makes better physicians.

Not that it really matters but KC's mcat is actually higher.
really? I was under the impression that KCUMB varied between 26 and like 27.5 and MUCOM was 28.3 last cycle I think.

But idk 100%, you definitely could be right. Either way, the overall point stands, I don't think the MCAT necessarily means a program is better.

gentleman, you failed to address LECOM's board rates surpassing KCUMBs.

gentleman, you failed to address LECOM's board rates surpassing KCUMBs.

Surpassing isn't the right word to use. They didn't win by a landslide. Also KCUMB surpasses LECOM on COMLEX II (CE and PE) and definitely III.

Also, in terms of matching:

KCUMB has matched at Mayo, Cleveland, and Columbia for the past few years. LECOM did not match any grads at these sites BUT they did match three in neurosurgery (AOA) this past year and had two match at Johns Hopkins (one for anesth.). I think consistency wins KCUMB over as they seem to match with top tier school residency programs every year.

Having the affiliation to U of Michigan as well as affiliations with UMKC and KC-SOM for residency is by far a winning factor for those wanting to enter a university program.

@birdboybird I'm assuming you want to go to LECOM?

Last edited: