Keep an open mind, thanks -

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeilD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Recently I posted legit concerns about Podiatry and what my older brother has told me who has been out a while and I was jumped.

1. I'm a whiner
2. A flunk out
3. My brother is screwed up with personal problems

All are incorrect. He is board cert, has ankle priv at our community hospital but said he has Never been called for acute trauma despite having an office at the hospital. He/we are local, popular family, yada, yada, yada. He said the most unqualified ortho
is called before a Podiatrist. With all his training and PR, people show up with bags of shoes or want him to trim their toenails. We have an identity crisis people and I have legit concerns. My uncle is a Pod, he said don't take it personal, that is the way it is despite our training and 2012.

Please, go ahead and tell me I'm crazy and have a screwed up brother, etc....

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Recently I posted legit concerns about Podiatry and what my older brother has told me who has been out a while and I was jumped.

I'm sorry you feel you were "jumped". That was not my intentions (but I can only speak for myself).

1. I'm a whiner
2. A flunk out : Based on another post on another thread

The way you painted the picture, it seemed like your brother was having issues over and above his choice of profession. I think you need to realize that some of us on these forums have heard these stories before, and invariably issues other practitioners have had had NOTHING to do with Podiatry, but everything to do with themselves. Case in point below...let me explain.

All are incorrect. OK, sorry.
He is board cert (which Board?), has ankle priv (What ankle procedures does he do there?)at our community hospital (How many other Podiatrists function out of that hospital? Does your brother do any in house care there?) but said he has Never been called for acute trauma despite having an office at the hospital (Ok, but has he ever shown his face in the ED? Does he have actually training in this? How would the ED staff know that he can do this? Whether his office is in the hospital or not, if in seven years he has never really advertised or actively sought these procedures, it stands to reason that he wouldn't get them.). He/we are local, popular family, yada, yada, yada (What does that have anything to do with it?). He said the most unqualified ortho (that is his opinion and believe me, if he is vocal about it, he may be shooting himself in the foot. Assume that the walls have ears wherever you go. Also, maybe the hospital is required to call this Ortho group for the coverage. That's how it was where I used to practice. ONE Ortho group was contracted to care for the patients in the ED for Trauma. What is your brother's relationship with this Ortho group?) is called before a Podiatrist. With all his training (what is his training, and more importantly does the community care and how would they know?) and PR (What kind of PR does he do?), people show up with bags of shoes or want him to trim their toenails (So what? That is part of what we do. If you are going down the same road and expect to only do the glamorous stuff, which isn't so glamorous btw, you will be very disappointed, kind of like what it seems your brother is). We (You and your Brother? Or the profession?) have an identity crisis people and I have legit concerns. My uncle is a Pod, he said don't take it personal, that is the way it is despite our training and 2012.(Your Uncle is right. What are you going to do about it?)

You are not crazy and I don't know your brother well enough to be able to tell. The way you describe is of a disgruntled practitioner who wasn't exactly sure what they would get into when they got into practice, and may have made some missteps along the way.

I see those patients with bags of shoes. I cut toenails daily. I go to nursing homes. I also am in the OR at least once a week and perform the simple and the complex. I thank goodness that I love what I do and go to work happy everyday. I don't find we have an identity crisis. I'm a happy soul. I face the adversity and try to overcome it. Happily so.

So. Cal - Liberal, progressive so I we didn't think it would be a big deal with good training. My uncle is old school 70's/80's - nursing homes, some office and out patient procedures but nothing like the training we have now. The hospitals call my brother for diabetic ulcers and toenail stuff but not trauma, fractures, sports medicine problems. Orthopods and Ortho with foot ankle fellowships are the real thing in these cases? Yes, we are both scared and having second thoughts. He is having a terrible time trying to pay his student loans and having any sort of a life. Neither of us are interested in moving to small town middle America. It's pretty scary with what I'm hearing from my uncles friends out there. I listen to guys who have been doing it for 30 years rather than my fellow students who I suspect are clueless.

The hospitals call my brother for diabetic ulcers and toenail stuff but not trauma, fractures, sports medicine problems.

I hate to tell you, but you make A LOT more money on wound care and visiting these patients in house than on no insurance trauma cases (which some how or other they tend to be).

Orthopods and Ortho with foot ankle fellowships are the real thing in these cases?

I don't think so. What do you think?

Has your brother had such a hard time making ends meet since he got out 7 years ago? Who is managing the business side of his practice? I had a heap of trouble financially, mostly because of my immigration status, so I understand being concerned.

Maybe your brother should consider merging his practice with another group to stem the overhead. Maybe get him on the site so we can "chat" with him.

So. Cal - Liberal, progressive so I we didn't think it would be a big deal with good training. My uncle is old school 70's/80's - nursing homes, some office and out patient procedures but nothing like the training we have now. The hospitals call my brother for diabetic ulcers and toenail stuff but not trauma, fractures, sports medicine problems. Orthopods and Ortho with foot ankle fellowships are the real thing in these cases? Yes, we are both scared and having second thoughts. He is having a terrible time trying to pay his student loans and having any sort of a life. Neither of us are interested in moving to small town middle America. It's pretty scary with what I'm hearing from my uncles friends out there. I listen to guys who have been doing it for 30 years rather than my fellow students who I suspect are clueless.
I have no idea what your situation is, so this may not be applicable, but from my highlighted portion of your quote, it sounds like you may really be limiting yourself if you are trying to stay in one specific town, that may be part of your brothers problem. I have seen graduating residents take a really low offer to stay in a town that already has plenty of pods, F&A orthos. Not to imply that it is impossible to make a decent living in the city you want to stay in, but it might be harder.

1. I'm a whiner
2. A flunk out

All are incorrect. He is board cert, has ankle priv at our community hospital but said he has Never been called for acute trauma despite having an office at the hospital. He/we are local, popular family, yada, yada, yada. He said the most unqualified ortho
is called before a Podiatrist. With all his training and PR, people show up with bags of shoes or want him to trim their toenails. We have an identity crisis people and I have legit concerns. My uncle is a Pod, he said don't take it personal, that is the way it is despite our training and 2012.

looks like you got jumped. sucks bro.

Let's face it, we are Podiatry students, not medical students. We didn't have the grades to get into medical school so we are in Podiatry school. Everybody will
pass these boards. They are dumbed down to our standards. I know the truth
hurts but let's be honest with ourselves.

Speaking as a person that "jumped" you, this was why.

Sorry, don't have anything in particular to add to yet another of your threads, but let's not go through the day thinking you were picked on and attacked through no fault of your own.

Good luck finding the information you seek. This site has a healthy mixture of practicing DPMs that have experienced a lot of the different aspects of being a podiatrist along with all of us students; I'm sure with an open mind and willingness to adapt what you see as the potential future, you will be fine.

Last edited:
Kidsfeet hit the nail on the head with several of his points. First of all, a lot of the "older" DPM's simply did not take ER call or treat trauma. This has been the realm/domain of the orthopedic surgeons for years and is a big piece of their existence. Your brother can't expect to walk in and simply have the ER start sending him cases. You have to pay your dues and PROVE yourself. Your actions speak louder than words. Additionally, as per Kidsfeet post, many orthopedic groups are paid and contracted to cover ER. That makes it worthwhile for the group and satisfies the needs of the ER. Many groups don't WANT ER call since a lot of the patients are uninsured and are not the highest quality patients, and these emergencies require a lot of time away from the office.

Your brother may have great training and great skills, but if he doesn't prove himself and market himself, who's going to know? You can be the best baker in the world, but if no one knows you're baking great stuff, how to you expect to sell your goods?

The habits of ER's and hospitals don't change quickly. There is a lot of politics and red tape. But if your brother went through the proper channels, I'd being willing to bet he'd make gains.

If despite your brother's training and skills, he still can't pay his bills, than something is wrong. Some docs are simply not meant to be in solo practice and may thrive much better under the guidance of a seasoned, successful doctor/practice.

But once again, I know of very few hard working and ethical DPM's who aren't making a decent living. But if you have doubts and your glass in half empty, my words and experience will be of no value.