MD Keep or Drop for Best Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

A++

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Greetings to all SDN members; I've ran into quite a dilemma and I'd appreciate some help. I'm currently enrolled in a community college and I'm aware that it isn't favorable to admission committees. At the moment I'm into my third semester and I've done fine so far, but I've had a bit of trouble this current semester due to taking multiple core science classes that require a lot of dedication. Obviously getting good grades could've been achieved if I had tried hard enough, but sadly me not trying harder is a mistake that I'll have to learn from. Here are my current grades (not including the semester that I'm currently in).

1st Semester - 12 Units (No science classes):
- A
- A
- A
- B

2nd Semester - 12 units:
- A (Science)
- A

Not too bad other that the one B; however I've heard that 12 unit semesters are dis-favorable due to them seeming light. At the moment I'm enrolled in four different classes (15 units) and as I've mentioned, two of them are science classes. I'm expecting to get A's in both of the liberal arts subjects, but the science courses have gone down hill quite badly. For one of them, I might be able to get a C at best if I manage to pull off constant A's on every single assignment ahead. For the other, I'll most likely end up with a D or C. Here's my question; should I continue with the two science classes and risk further damaging my chance to enroll in a good school, or should I withdraw from the two classes and settle for two W's? Obviously neither of those two choices are admirable, but which of the two would be better in the long run?

TL;DR: Two C/D/F's, or two W's?

Thanks for taking the time to view this thread; much appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

two Ws and then good grades after that.

time to figure out what you need to do in order to get mostly As and some Bs because the classes aren't going to get any easier.

good luck.

Thanks for the suggestion Baxt. Are W's completely detrimental to getting accepted at an honorable school? At the moment I've been rethinking a few of my decisions and I'm keeping an open mind towards what I want to do with my life. In general, for medical schools as well, is it difficult to have admission committees overlook a couple W's?

It's a bit hard to say for sure without knowing more, but only you can know what grade you expect to make.

I have one W and it hasn't stopped me from getting II's. But you better be prepared to explain them on interview day.