Keep the SAT score or re-take?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

doctrnet

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello, I'm a non-traditional 23 year old veteran student. I started my first year of CC undergrad this Summer. and I'm trying to transfer into a 4 year university in the Southern California area as a SOPHOMORE.

I took the SAT in 2010 (when I graduated high school) and got a 2000, but since then the score has expired. So I took the new SAT in June and got a 1450 (out of 1600 on the new scoring system). I only studied for the 3 weeks before the test. Because taking the SAT was a last minute decision, I did not write a great essay and I got 12 out of 24. I basically was under prepared and did not finish writing it. Should I re-take the whole SAT this October just to improve the ESSAY score? This time I'll be concurrently taking full time classes, so I don't know if I'll do better on the Math & writing part of the SAT without compromising my school grades.

Everyone tells me that if an applicant has more than 30 credits, Colleges don't consider SAT scores and high school GPA's with substantial weight. But I want to do as much as possible to ensure that I'll be getting some acceptance letters from good schools this year.

There is one more week of General Chemistry 1 left in the summer semester and I am barely clinging onto an A. If i get any B's this year, will it hurt my chances or transferring to USC or other private universities in SoCal as a sophomore?

Members don't see this ad.

This is a forum that discusses medical school admissions. I am sure you can get much better feedback at forums dedicated to college admissions.

Reactions: 1 users
As the other poster said you won't find much help here, but I wish you the best of luck and thank you for your service!

Yeah, it was my understanding that you don't need SAT score's really if you're transferring from a CC. I knew a few people who didn't bother taking the SAT because they went to CC then transferred to a 4 year school. Not sure if this is still the case though.

Reactions: 1 user