Kennedy classification/modification help

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ItsGavinC

Moderator Emeritus
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm having trouble with some forms of this concept.

What would the class/mod be if teeth #6,7,8 are missing in the maxillary arch?

I'm thinking classification 3 since there are teeth posterior and anterior to the edentulous area.

Is that correct (I think I'm confused because the teeth posterior to the space are anterior-type teeth)?

Members don't see this ad.

Gavin, I agree that it should be a Class 3. Of course, if #9 were also missing, it would become a class 4.

dientesfuertes said:
Gavin, I agree that it should be a Class 3. Of course, if #9 were also missing, it would become a class 4.

Because the space becomes bilateral, right?

What about if numbers 1,3,7,8,9,10,12, and 14 are missing from the maxillary arch (3rd molars are missing but NOT to be replaced).

I'm trying to work ahead in a workbook we've been given (we don't even have a lecture on this until Monday), and I'd like to have the concept down before then.

I suppose one of my most basic questions is whether or not there is a limit on how high the modification numbers can go? I mean, if I'm getting answers like "Kennedy classification 2 modification 6"--does that mean I'm an idiot and doing it completely incorrect?

Members don't see this ad :)
ItsGavinC said:
Because the space becomes bilateral, right?

What about if numbers 1,3,7,8,9,10,12, and 14 are missing from the maxillary arch (3rd molars are missing but NOT to be replaced).

I'm trying to work ahead in a workbook we've been given (we don't even have a lecture on this until Monday), and I'd like to have the concept down before then.

I suppose one of my most basic questions is whether or not there is a limit on how high the modification numbers can go? I mean, if I'm getting answers like "Kennedy classification 2 modification 6"--does that mean I'm an idiot and doing it completely incorrect?

That would mean that teeth #2, 4 5 6, 11, 13, and 15 are present right> That would be a Class 3 2P 1A

IT is really easy once you get the hang of it! If you have a single space with teeth missing and it crosses the midline then you are at a class 4, like if the only teeth you had were molars etc....

Class 1 is bilateral distal extensions
Class 2 is one side distal extension
Class 3 is all tooth supported IE NO distal extensions

Then the P is the # of spaces for the missing teeth, not the number of missing teeth, so if you are missing teeth 3,4, and 5, then that would be all together a 1P but if you are missing 3 have 4 and are missing 5, then that would be 2P and so on. Same thing with anterior. Now if the space is say 567 is missing, then it is considered an anterior space, so its 1A. But that is subjective. since the single space contains posterior and anterior teeth!!!

Hope that helps. Any more ?'s

[size=+1]Man, peeps in this forum sure have class[/size][size=-3](ification)[/size][size=+1]![/size] :D

[size=-2]Sorry, couldn't resist.
Plus, I think the "size" tag is nifty.[/size]

eager_1 said:
Q:What would the class/mod be if teeth #6,7,8 are missing in the maxillary arch?

A: class 4 for anterior region,

class 3 apply for posterior area

I concur.

Kennedy classification:

The class is defined by the most posterior edentulous area
Modification is the number of additional edentulous area

So ... the missing #6,7,8 would be class II

Class II??? No way.
And I disagree that it could be a class IV b/c the space doesn't cross the midline.

Class I - Bilateral posterior edentulous ridges (with no distal teeth )
Class II - Unilateral posterior edentulous ridge (with no distal teeth )
Class III - Unilateral posterior edentulous ridge (with teeth distal to this area)
Class IV - Edentulous area that crosses the midline (the only class that has no modifications)

I just had my prosthodontics exam last week ... so the info is still fresh in my memory :D

Just open a textbood, dude :p +pissed+

eager_1 said:
Q:What would the class/mod be if teeth #6,7,8 are missing in the maxillary arch?

A: class 4 for anterior region,

class 3 apply for posterior area

That is A class 3, NOT a class 2. A Class 4 CAN NOT have modification spaces. Keep that in mind. If a single space is present and it crosses the midline, then that is a class 4, that and ONLY that!!!!!!!!!!

There is like 50,000 possibilities on classifications, like Class 1, Class 1 1p Class 1 2p Class 1 2P 1a Class 1 1A and so on.......

Class 3 must have a distal reteiner :smuggrin:
It is tooth supported, and by definition teeth must be present distal to the edentulous ridge.

Leon said:
Class 3 must have a distal reteiner :smuggrin:
It is tooth supported, and by definition teeth must be present distal to the edentulous ridge.

What's your point, Leon? If you are missing #6,7,8, don't you have teeth distal to the edentulous space? I think so.

Maybe we aren't talking about the same situation... but earlier you stated:
"So ... the missing #6,7,8 would be class II". That just ain't right.

Maybe he's using a different numbering system than the Universal system. Missing 6,7,8 in another system WOULD be a Class 2.

[EDIT] I see he is from Israel, so that is probably the situation. We're talking two different groups of teeth :D

Excellent point, Gavin. That is very possible. Regardless, I wish everyone well in their removeable prosth jouneys. ;)
Leon, I appologize. I see now that missing #6,7,8 in a quadrant using International numbering would indeed be Kennedy class II. :idea:

Why can't we all just use the universal numbering system, Life would be a lot easier in your ortho rotations too!

Yeah ... I guess it's the numbering system ...
I thought #6-8 were the molars ...
My bad ... :rolleyes: :cool:

And by the way ... why is this universal numbering system is called universal? It is used only in the US ... the rest of the world uses the FDI system ... don't you think it's hillarious ? :laugh:

I don't like prostho anyway ... :D

This was a tough year in school and prostho was literally a kick in the balls ... :eek: