Menu Icon Search
Close Search

About the ads

Kennedy University Hospital pod residency - NJ

Discussion in 'Podiatric Residents & Physicians' started by Ankle Breaker, 06.08.12.

1. Ankle Breaker

Ankle Breaker Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Podiatrist SDN 2+ Year Member

SDN Members don't see this ad. (About Ads)
    Description of the program on CASPR directory website sounds very ideal. It's also a PMSR-Cert program.

I feel like this is a newer program in NJ. It's never been mentioned on this website but I was curious to know if there are any long-time readers out there that can comment on the quality of training or comment on their externship experiences.

Thanks
  2. PADPM

PADPM

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    Our practice interviewed a few of grads of the more recent program and we were NOT impressed by any of the interviewees. We were not impressed by their logs, their skills, knowledge or training.

There are one or two docs who I've researched and are ok, but I know a few docs practicing in the South Jersey area, and none were super impressed by the program or the training.

From what I was told, there is an excellent foot and ankle orthopod on staff and the residents were going to get great training with him, but now there are orthopedic residents who scrub on his cases and the podiatric residents aren't on the top of the list.

As with any program, it may be great for you, but overall I don't personally believe it's a top quality program, and that is based on recent residents, and the opinion of a LOT of pods I know from the area.
  3. Ankle Breaker

Ankle Breaker Senior Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Podiatrist SDN 2+ Year Member
    PADPM, thank you for the response. It's unforunate that, in reality, the program is not as strong as it sounds on paper. The program states they are now associated with the Rothman Institute so I'm guessing the F/A ortho is associated with that. If you read the program's description on the CASPR directory this program sounds great. I understand one would recommend I should simply "visit" the program to find out whether its legit or not but how upfront are the residents and attendings going to be? Am I really going to get a feel for the program from one day? Most likely not...

I'd hate to have to waste an extern month on a program like this only to find out it wasn't what I thought it would be. For me, that's not the point of doing externships. So again I appreciate the feedback.
  4. PADPM

PADPM

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member

I just spent time (too much) going over their staff. There are approximately 67 DPM's on staff (+/-) and there are a STAGGERING 31 who are NOT certified by the ABPS. Remember, this is a surgical residency and almost HALF of the staff is not board certified??????

I know an orthopedic surgeon who works for Rothman, which is apparently a huge orthopedic group with offices in the Philadelphia and South Jersey area. They do employ 3 DPM's for non surgical care and 3 or 4 foot/ankle orthopods. As I originally stated, the podiatric residents were supposed to get training with one of them, but from what I've been told, the orthopod residents really are the docs getting the benefits.

I also did some research and saw that a LOT of the non boarded DPMs have graduated many, many years ago. Most hospitals require certification in a specialty within 5-7 years of obtaining privileges.

Sorry, I know that APBS certification doesn't mean a surgeon is "better", but in my experience when almost half the staff is NOT certified, you have to ask "why".

Just my humble opinions.
  5. newankle

newankle Senior Member

Podiatrist
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I thought all hospitals at this point required ABPS Board Certification within 5-7 years to keep surgical privileges. How are they letting them operate?
  6. PADPM

PADPM

Attending Physician
    SDN 2+ Year Member
    I have NO idea, but after doing a very little research, there are many on staff for much greater than that time who still have privileges and no ABPS certification. The only explanation I have is that these doctors were grandfathered in, and a flying way below the radar.

// Share //

Style: SDN Universal