Kentucky opt-out

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I found Gregory's post spot-on and not at all trollish. I wish some of you would be more open to discourse. Fact of the matter is, a lot of the MDs in our field are ridiculously lazy. It's a fact; face it, accept it, and hope it changes. Meanwhile, there is a patient asleep under anesthesia. Who's caring for them? If we call it a care team, we need to play our part. Work smarter and work harder.
admittedly many ol' timers are lost causes but the new breed of anesthesiologists are a bright and determined bunch. i recently successfully lobbied my group not to hire more nurses. now exploring the possibility of PA's helping in pre-surgical testing and the recovery room to free up MDs. unfortunately AAs are not an option in my area at this time but will look to see how i can help to change that.

it angers me to see posts from the likes of gregory1. if he can call his lawmaker to effect legislation, we also need to step up to the plate and make the effort. had a kid the other day (OR environmental services staff) tell me he just got into school so that he can do what i do. turns out he will be going to nursing school with the eventual goal of becoming a nurse anesthetist. mind you this is someone who barely graduated from high school and has no chance in hell of excelling in any sort of rigorous pre-med curriculum... let alone getting into med school! c'mon, enough is enough.

Members don't see this ad.

buddy, there in lies the rub-- i certainly have no problems teaching those i supervise.

Why would anybody teach a nurse about medical care? They do not have the training to handle this type of information.
Do ICU nurses have a voice in patient treatment? do they choose vent setting? do they decide on which sedation should be used and all the other aspects of care? No! their function is to monitor the patient and carry out medical orders, why would it be any different in anesthesia?

They can carry out strait forward procedures: piv, intubation, monitor the patient, manage hemodynamics and call for help when needed.
Imho it comes from inflated egos who need to show how slick they are by teaching someone underneath them in the food chain.

Troll, back stabbing ingrates, loser, stupid, Not teaching those you want to supervise- really! I would expect more from a "doctor." Sad... If this is the opinion of those that were in a supervisory positions of CRNAs, it is no wonder that they want to be independent.

Adios. Jag off....