KGI School of Pharmacy - Class of 2020

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmmmmd2019

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I am a current student at KGI School of Pharmacy in my P1 year. Last year when I was applying, I really relied on SDN threads to give me an idea of the pharmacy school as well as being able to connect with fellow applicants and current students attending this program. Let me know if you have any questions, or questions for your fellow applicants. This forum can really help you get a better idea of whats to come and about the school.

Members don't see this ad.

How much loans from undergraduate and KGI do you have?

Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview coming up for this school on Oct. 2nd. I couldn't find any info about the interview process on this website. It would be great if you could give me some info :)

Members don't see this ad :)
The tuition for KGI is 23.5 K a semester. I took out loans for both semesters. If you have any other expenses they will give you almost 10 K each semester which is the maximum amount. SO it depends on what you need.

How much loans from undergraduate and KGI do you have?

First & foremost, do NOT worry or stress out about the interview. To be honest, its when I came for the interview that I fell in love with the school. I didn't have a lot of ideas about the school but the interview process was eye-opening and like I said, I left hoping that I would get in.

You are separated into groups and you have variety of activities to do that day. You won't leave till around 3 or 4 PM, so its an all day type of interview. Remember, even IF you are not being interviewed one-on-one, its pretty much an interview an all day with the different varieties. You get split into groups and some groups may start off with interviews while some groups will do a Problem based learning exercise while another group will do a writing prompt. There is also a small computer based assessment, but you're told not to worry about that too much. & don't worry it isn't anything you need to study for.

You get to go on a tour with some fellow pharmacy students as well as a Q & A session as well.

Let me know if you have anything questions :)

I have an interview coming up for this school on Oct. 2nd. I couldn't find any info about the interview process on this website. It would be great if you could give me some info :)

Hello people- i have an interview this Friday Oct 2nd and I was wondering would you please give me some info regarding the interview and essay questions?

First & foremost, do NOT worry or stress out about the interview. To be honest, its when I came for the interview that I fell in love with the school. I didn't have a lot of ideas about the school but the interview process was eye-opening and like I said, I left hoping that I would get in.

You are separated into groups and you have variety of activities to do that day. You won't leave till around 3 or 4 PM, so its an all day type of interview. Remember, even IF you are not being interviewed one-on-one, its pretty much an interview an all day with the different varieties. You get split into groups and some groups may start off with interviews while some groups will do a Problem based learning exercise while another group will do a writing prompt. There is also a small computer based assessment, but you're told not to worry about that too much. & don't worry it isn't anything you need to study for.

You get to go on a tour with some fellow pharmacy students as well as a Q & A session as well.

Let me know if you have anything questions :)
Wow this really helped! Thank you so much :)

Great info- thanks a lot- I just want to know what kind of questions are they asking for Essay part?

I'm not exactly sure if all the students get the same questions, but you should just expect questions relating to why you chose pharmacy? Or what are your short term/long term goals with pharmacy. Nothing to prepare for. Just be honest and remember to check your grammar :)

Great info- thanks a lot- I just want to know what kind of questions are they asking for Essay part?

Question to KGI current students: is that true that the hours you are working during the school (after each semester and break time) cant not be paid and can not be counted toward the total hours for the entire program? cause all other pharmacy schools you can work (get paid) plus count the hours for your total hours for the program? I will appreciate for the answer.

Hi everyone! I got my acceptance letter to KGI SOP for class of 2016! Has anyone else been accepted? Or planning on going to KGI? Would love to get in contact with people who are going to go to KGI :)

Hi Omomvee, I am applying to KGI this cycle as well. My pharmcas just get verified yesterday so i assume that they can get access to my application next week. How is the interview and do you mind sharing your stat? Nice to meet you :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not sure exactly what your question is. You do rotations and you do not get paid for your time during rotations. However, if you get an outside job as working as a pharmacy intern, you do get paid and those hours go toward the time you need to apply for your pharmacy license. Hope that clarified your question. I am currently working at a pharmacy as an Intern and getting paid for that as well as keeping track of my hours so once I apply to the board of pharmacy, I can show proof of all the hours that I worked OUTSIDE of rotation.

Question to KGI current students: is that true that the hours you are working during the school (after each semester and break time) cant not be paid and can not be counted toward the total hours for the entire program? cause all other pharmacy schools you can work (get paid) plus count the hours for your total hours for the program? I will appreciate for the answer.

Congrats on your acceptance! Hope to see you this coming fall :)

Hi everyone! I got my acceptance letter to KGI SOP for class of 2016! Has anyone else been accepted? Or planning on going to KGI? Would love to get in contact with people who are going to go to KGI :)

Hey Everyone,

I am a current student at KGI School of Pharmacy in my P1 year. Last year when I was applying, I really relied on SDN threads to give me an idea of the pharmacy school as well as being able to connect with fellow applicants and current students attending this program. Let me know if you have any questions, or questions for your fellow applicants. This forum can really help you get a better idea of whats to come and about the school.
I heard a lot about KGI having great connections in industry/ allowing you to do a lot of rotations with Amgen and such, how true is this? Also, how long did you have to complete the Drug testing/Background check after you were accepted?

Yes! KGI does have a great connection with Industry as the SALS program at KGI works with a variety of different pharmaceutical companies. During your P1 year, you have start your industry rotation that lasts for 2 weeks. It takes place either in January or in May, depending on your choice as well as your placement. There are companies such as Amgen, Pfizer, and other companies depending on availability. Since I am a P1, I haven't done my first rotation yet and I requested for my rotation to take place in May. But from what I hear from P2 students who have done this rotation, they have greatly enjoyed the experience. There was even one student who did her rotation and was offered an internship position this past summer.

I heard a lot about KGI having great connections in industry/ allowing you to do a lot of rotations with Amgen and such, how true is this? Also, how long did you have to complete the Drug testing/Background check after you were accepted?

Hello, I got accepted to KGI too this year yayyy

I'm not sure exactly what your question is. You do rotations and you do not get paid for your time during rotations. However, if you get an outside job as working as a pharmacy intern, you do get paid and those hours go toward the time you need to apply for your pharmacy license. Hope that clarified your question. I am currently working at a pharmacy as an Intern and getting paid for that as well as keeping track of my hours so once I apply to the board of pharmacy, I can show proof of all the hours that I worked OUTSIDE of rotation.
Thanks!! see ya :)

I got accepted into KGI as well, not sure if I'm putting the deposit down yet or not, $1000 is a lot to spend with 6 other interviews to do :/

I got accepted into KGI as well, not sure if I'm putting the deposit down yet or not, $1000 is a lot to spend with 6 other interviews to do :/
I am in the same situation waiting to here from another schools but I didn't want to lose KGI just in case- so I submitted my deposit-Good luck

General question to all: having baby before-during or after pharmacy school when you are on your 30's? thanks

I got accepted too! :) To those who have also been accepted: have you been accepted to other schools as well? So far I've been accepted to Northstate and KGI and have an interview coming up for UOP. But for now, I'm not sure which one to choose in case I don't get into the other schools I've applied to and end up having to choose between Northstate and KGI.
Any input would be appreciated :)

I got accepted too! :) To those who have also been accepted: have you been accepted to other schools as well? So far I've been accepted to Northstate and KGI and have an interview coming up for UOP. But for now, I'm not sure which one to choose in case I don't get into the other schools I've applied to and end up having to choose between Northstate and KGI.
congrats on getting accepted to KGI! When did you interview/hear back about you acceptance if you don't mind me asking?

congrats on getting accepted to KGI! When did you interview/hear back about you acceptance if you don't mind me asking?
Hi, congratulations!!! I got accepted and made my deposit last week. My interview was on Friday, October 2nd and I got their email on the following Wednesday.

Thank you! I interviewed on Friday, October 2nd and got their acceptance email on Thursday, October 8th.

Got accepted too!!! Interviewed 10/16 and received acceptance letter on 10/21. Still waiting to hear from USC and Western for interview dates... I love the program at KGI but it's a long commute for me and that's a huge downside... 54 miles one way...

Got accepted too!!! Interviewed 10/16 and received acceptance letter on 10/21. Still waiting to hear from USC and Western for interview dates... I love the program at KGI but it's a long commute for me and that's a huge downside... 54 miles one way...
Hello Knox1477 KGI is exactly about 54 miles commute for me too but I am willing to drive everyday...

Congrats on your acceptance. I am P2 at KGI. I got accepted to Northstate too but I chose KGI instead and never regret on my decision.
I really like KGI curriculum and most importantly they have federal loan =D

General question to all: having baby before-during or after pharmacy school when you are on your 30's? thanks
For me I will have baby after pharmacy school because I don't think I can handle pharmacy if I have a baby. A lot of stress you have to deal with...I will not have time for my baby and I will regret for missing baby's first talk or walk. I just turned 29 and I am in my P2. Whenever I see little babies I want one for myself too :(

Hello Knox1477 KGI is exactly about 54 miles commute for me too but I am willing to drive everyday...
Really? I'm glad to know that!! Thanks for sharing! I needed to know that it is possible.

Hi Omomvee, I am applying to KGI this cycle as well. My pharmcas just get verified yesterday so i assume that they can get access to my application next week. How is the interview and do you mind sharing your stat? Nice to meet you :)

Hello! :) The whole interview was very laid back and not tedious at all. The staff was really friendly - one of the main reasons why I'm choosing KGI! The one -on-one interview was not as intimidating as I thought it would be. Overall, I loved the school and it seems like the perfect fit for me. My pharmcas science GPA was 3.1, my overall science was a 3.4, my overall gpa is 3.3. I was also volunteering at a pharmacy for about 3 months prior to my interview. Hope that helps! Good luck with everything!

For me I will have baby after pharmacy school because I don't think I can handle pharmacy if I have a baby. A lot of stress you have to deal with...I will not have time for my baby and I will regret for missing baby's first talk or walk. I just turned 29 and I am in my P2. Whenever I see little babies I want one for myself too :(
Hi twiktwik, thanks for your reply... I know it will be crazy hard and stressful being in pharmacy school and having a baby at the same time- but I don't want to be very old to be a mom by the time I finish the program I will be about 39 :(

Congrats on your acceptance. I am P2 at KGI. I got accepted to Northstate too but I chose KGI instead and never regret on my decision.
I really like KGI curriculum and most importantly they have federal loan =D
Thanks for your reply :) Yeah KGI seemed to be much better than Northstate. Lets see if I hear back from the other schools I've had interviews at!

I will have my interview this Friday. Although i read some of the comment above regrading the interview, it still sounds very intimidating to me :/ Can anyone give me an idea what the group activity is gonna be? And also about the essay, are we going to write it by hand or using a word processor? It has been a very long time I haven't written anything by hands, and my handwriting was bad to begin with :(

Honestly, it is not a very intimidating type of interview. It is a very smooth process and you will rather enjoy your day, from my experience as well as some of my fellow classmate's experience. The group activity is where you work with a small group of interviewees and you guys try to solve a problem. You are graded based on how well you work with a team and NOT if you solve the problem. The essay is a quick topic that is handwritten. :)

I will have my interview this Friday. Although i read some of the comment above regrading the interview, it still sounds very intimidating to me :/ Can anyone give me an idea what the group activity is gonna be? And also about the essay, are we going to write it by hand or using a word processor? It has been a very long time I haven't written anything by hands, and my handwriting was bad to begin with :(

Congrats to everyone who was accepted! I just received my acceptance letter so hello to everyone as well :hello:.

I also wanted to give my 2 cents about the interview since I've already had 3 interviews this year. One thing that definitely helped for all three interviews is to be prepared (have some SAR/PAR stories in mind - groupwork/teamwork is important), be confident in yourself and get a good night's rest!

For those who've been accepted, have you completed the drug test?

How long it took KGI to send you interview invitation from the date you submitted your pharmcas? I submitted mine 3 weeks ago but havent heard back. Getting worried.

How long it took KGI to send you interview invitation from the date you submitted your pharmcas? I submitted mine 3 weeks ago but havent heard back. Getting worried.
@momeim Once PharmCAS completed calculating my GPA, KGI sent me an interview date within 3 days. Keep in mine though, this was back in mid-September. :) I'm sure everyone is just getting back from Thanksgiving and will take a day or two to get situated.

@momeim Once PharmCAS completed calculating my GPA, KGI sent me an interview date within 3 days. Keep in mine though, this was back in mid-September. :) I'm sure everyone is just getting back from Thanksgiving and will take a day or two to get situated.

I see. Thanks. lol this application process is too mentally exhausting.

For those who've been accepted, have you completed the drug test?
I've been putting it off because of school, planning to do it this winter break! Lol

I haven't done it yet for the same reason as omomvee. I've paid for it already so now I just need to go to the facility and submit the sample as soon as finals are over.

Reactions: 1 users
I haven't done it yet for the same reason as omomvee. I've paid for it already so now I just need to go to the facility and submit the sample as soon as finals are over.
Ditto!

any one heard any interview invite for january yet?

Hello Everyone congrats to all of you got accepted- yes I did both drug and background tests-
Im ready to start :)

Anyone hear from KGI lately regarding the Student Ambassadors? I completed both the drug test and background check but I haven't heard from them lately aside from the financial aid stuff.