KGI vs Chapman (4 yrs vs 3 yrs program)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mishiko170

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I've been accepted to KGI and I'll have an interview with Chapman coming up. Although I do not know if I'll be accepted into Chapman, but just in case I do which school do you think is better? Both schools do the flip classroom teaching and almost the same amount of tuition. Chapman will be about 40 miles closer to me, but I'll be able to work during school years with KGI which can help me find a job after graduation whereas with Chapman's accelerated program I don't know if I'll be able to work. But with Chapman I'll be able to graduate a year earlier and that means possibility of working a year earlier and start paying back student loan. Any thoughts and comments are appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Everyone here is a big fan of Chapman. The man, the school and the legend.

But seriously, go to a public school in state or it's a bad decision.

Reactions: 1 users
But seriously, go to a public school in state or it's a bad decision.

Seconded. Take a look at how much debt you'd be in after you graduated from either of those programs and if it's more than $150K, don't go there. The job market isn't what is used to be and if you wind up working part-time when you graduate (which many new grads currently have to do b/c full time jobs aren't available) you'll have a hell of a time paying off your loans.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
You guys talk like anyone can waltz into UCSF or UCSD (the only in state public schools...with pretty much equivalent costs to private schools).

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
You guys talk like anyone can waltz into UCSF or UCSD (the only in state public schools...with pretty much equivalent costs to private schools).

Exactly.... I believe ucsd's annual Tuition is 34k to 38k, depending on if you are buying health insurance from them. There is no way to buy a pharmd in California for 150k. I think the goal for this student would be get into a reputable pharmacy school in California that has established rotation and successful network of practicing pharmacists. Neither of those schools fit the bill....

I'd pass on going to either of those schools

Exactly.... I believe ucsd's annual Tuition is 34k to 38k, depending on if you are buying health insurance from them. There is no way to buy a pharmd in California for 150k. I think the goal for this student would be get into a reputable pharmacy school in California that has established rotation and successful network of practicing pharmacists. Neither of those schools fit the bill....

I mean, 2nd tier ain't so bad, they're actually pretty good (like Touro, Western, excluding U$C for obvious $$ reasons). Arizona and Oregon aren't too far...

I mean I like OC and I like both schools separately for different reasons (Claremont Colleges connection and Chapman is a generally good regional school with a few choice programs and a nice campus in Orange)....but, cmon now, its 2016 not 2006.

I still don't understand what precludes one from working as an intern in a 3 year program

Time management. I probably wouldn't have worked if I had gone to a three year program. It takes a whole summer just to become somewhat efficient in a pharmacy, if you can't dedicate a solid chunk of time initially it would be hard to ever be worth having in the pharmacy, I would suspect.

There is no way to buy a pharmd in California for 150k.

Yet another reason not to live there. :D.

In all seriousness, what I was trying to tell the OP is that if those are their only choices, they're better off not going to pharmacy school.

Yet another reason not to live there. :D.

In all seriousness, what I was trying to tell the OP is that if those are their only choices, they're better off not going to pharmacy school.

This is true. Either go out of state for school (and work) for cheaper tuition, lower cost of living, and more jobs available, or find a different profession.

UCSF and UCSD actually have a financial aid package. They are not for-profit school. With university grant, you tuition is much lower than what it is stated on the website. I will end up around 100k in loan after I graduate. Half of the loan is used toward my living expense though.

Last edited:
UCSF and UCSD actually have a financial aid package. They are not for-profit school. With university grant, you tuition is much lower than what it is stated on the website. I will end up around 100k in loan after I graduate. Half of the loan is used toward my living expense though.

Congrats on that small loan. Can you give us more specifics on this grant? Most pharmacy schools are non-profit, unfortunately no grants of any substantial amount are going around. How much does a student from your class pay for tuition on average?

Would suggest finding the cheapest pharmacy school around and going there, or picking PA/dental school.

Congrats on that small loan. Can you give us more specifics on this grant? Most pharmacy schools are non-profit, unfortunately no grants of any substantial amount are going around. How much does a student from your class pay for tuition on average?
I felt its not disclosed publicly by school. Financial aid is more on the individual bases, however ,UCSF or UCSD got lots of grant. Within our financial aid package, We each year will get around 5000 to 20k of university grant depend on household income. UCSF also supplement house of living around 2400 dollars per year. There are also many scholarship u can apply for especially if you work on research project. There is also work study opportunities.
Everyone's tuition rate will be different. i just know our tuition is nowhere close to USC or other cali private school. Most people will pay less than 150k for four years include cost of living. It in fact prob much cheaper than going out of state.

Last edited:
Lol...UC schools give grants? Har har har. Yes, low income grants exist...but let's face it, most people going to professional school come from families of relative wealth and are precluded from these programs.

Private schools tend to be more generous, overall.

A recent class at University of Washington was 40% Californians. There are only two pharmacy schools here, both public.
(only paying out of state tuition for 2 years might have it making sense.)

Last edited:
I mean, 2nd tier ain't so bad, they're actually pretty good (like Touro, Western, excluding U$C for obvious $$ reasons). Arizona and Oregon aren't too far...

I mean I like OC and I like both schools separately for different reasons (Claremont Colleges connection and Chapman is a generally good regional school with a few choice programs and a nice campus in Orange)....but, cmon now, its 2016 not 2006.

AZ has an open prejudice against admitting from CA (it used to be you had to be from AZ or a WICHE state only, but they have relaxed it officially due to ACPE criticism). I usually say that Californians don't have a snowball's chance in Tucson summer on getting admitted unless it is a very special candidate (PharmD/PhD or incredibly unusual demographics like transgender or IHS beneficiary). My shake and bake alma mater in Phoenix is not bad, but the tuition is rapacious now.

This is not to say that you should get transgender surgery to qualify for pharmacy school or any other medical professional school, but it makes for a notable admissions statement.

USC doesn't have the kind of money to offer real grants. Expect to pay all of it yourself or through some tuition matter.