Khan Academy MCAT Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

futuredoc331

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't understand the rational for this question. The data shows information on the likelihood of using cocaine for certain demographics of arrestees. The chart indicates that whites have the lowest rate. They do not indicate anything for non-whites.

The question asks "using the chart what demographic is most likely to use cocaine"

The answer was non-white and the rational was that it is the inverse of white, which had the lowest ratio.

How can they conclude the likelihood of non whites based only on what whites do. That doesn't make sense to me. What do you think?

Here's the link
https://www.khanacademy.org/test-pr...cial-conflict-theory-in-an-historical-context

Members don't see this ad.

Maybe they changed the question because the link you gave led to the following question:

Which of the following statements about conflict is true?
  • It is an abrupt, violent process
  • The status quo after conflict is an improvement over the status quo leading to the conflict
  • It can be eradicated completely
  • It arises from competition for limited resources

On a side note, I like how some of the answers are predictable in sociology. You can just know from the name of the theory, as in social conflict theory....social....society....competition.... hence the last answer is correct. Of course maybe it was just a lucky guess lol.

I saw this on my recent Khan practice passage "The effect of contrast agents on MRI signals"

The Q brings up the concept of uncertainty and the propagation of error in statistics. No context, not mention or allusion to it in the passage.

I looked through the Official Guide AND the MCAT 2015 outline. No mention of this theory or concept. There is no mention of it in the passage and the variables they use in the explanation come out of nowhere. I googled error propagation and I got a whole bunch of hits on calculus-based statistics, which is what this is based on. Really Khan? This doesn't seem remotely like what the AAMC is testing. Anyone see this concept in any of their MCAT books or AAMC materials?

Attachments

• Figure_1.PNG
    Figure_1.PNG
    42.2 KB · Views: 92
Members don't see this ad :)
I saw this on my recent Khan practice passage "The effect of contrast agents on MRI signals"

The Q brings up the concept of uncertainty and the propagation of error in statistics. No context, not mention or allusion to it in the passage.

I looked through the Official Guide AND the MCAT 2015 outline. No mention of this theory or concept. There is no mention of it in the passage and the variables they use in the explanation come out of nowhere. I googled error propagation and I got a whole bunch of hits on calculus-based statistics, which is what this is based on. Really Khan? This doesn't seem remotely like what the AAMC is testing. Anyone see this concept in any of their MCAT books or AAMC materials?

Lolz, wow. I remember doing that in my Physics labs, but I would not be concerned about this for the MCAT.

I can't seem to find the equation they use anywhere in the literature. Have you ever seen that?

Reactions: 1 user