Khan Biological/Physical Sciences worth using?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GCSDOC

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Was wondering which Khan passage you guys are all using? I am definitely doing the Behavioral Sciences ones b/c its hard to get decent practice on that area, but I am not sure the Biological and Physical sciences passages are representative....whats your thoughts on them?

Members don't see this ad.

The Khan Academy science passages I do not think are worth doing. If you have time, figure them out, but, other resources are better. I'm finding occasional mistakes, ambiguity, and out of scope information. I think you can still learn from it however. Its still a great resources especially because its free. I agree that behavioral science passages are more valuable.

Reactions: 1 user
The Khan Academy science passages I do not think are worth doing. If you have time, figure them out, but, other resources are better. I'm finding occasional mistakes, ambiguity, and out of scope information. I think you can still learn from it however. Its still a great resources especially because its free. I agree that behavioral science passages are more valuable.
Thanks for the response. What resources would you recommend for Physical/Biological/Biochemistry passages if not Khan?

According to a rep from AAMC who spoke about MCAT2015 at a symposium I attended the Khan passages were written by the actual test writers. I will be doing them all.

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the reply! I adjusted my study plan and am going to do all the Biology/Physical Sciences Khan passages (in addition to Behavioral Sciences) and instead not do the Physics/Ochem/Gchem passages from the TPRH Science Workbook as they don't necessarily seem relevant to the new style of the exam.

Thanks for the reply! I adjusted my study plan and am going to do all the Biology/Physical Sciences Khan passages (in addition to Behavioral Sciences) and instead not do the Physics/Ochem/Gchem passages from the TPRH Science Workbook as they don't necessarily seem relevant to the new style of the exam.
I heard the bio section of TPRH Sci workbook has a lot of experimental passages which is what the new exam was geared towards? I don't know, may be wrong, but I plan on looking it over to see if it is more experimental heavy.

I heard the bio section of TPRH Sci workbook has a lot of experimental passages which is what the new exam was geared towards? I don't know, may be wrong, but I plan on looking it over to see if it is more experimental heavy.
Yeah, I am doing every single Biology passage from TPRH, just not going to do the Ochem/Chem/Physics ones.

Thoughts about the format of KA passages? Do you guys do it timed?
I always do my passages timed.. but after doing a few Khan questions I think it may be better to do them un timed and just do it as a critical thinking/analysis exercise, as the passages aren't that reflective of the real thing, and IMO are significantly more difficult

They fact that they make u find the right answer before going onto the next question means for timing purposes they are not useful to me. They also do not seem to integrate the bio/body into the sciences as well as the released AAMC material. But, they will help me build my science content so I will go through them. Plus FREE!!!!!

As someone who took the old MCAT, I wanted to just put in my 2 cents. (Maybe it's not worth much, but wanted to try to help out any way that I could.)

My breakthrough in studying was when I realized that the other material outside of AAMC material was not very representative of the test. Before then I was practicing from Princeton Review, Kaplan, etc. and I was only scoring at most 33. I began hitting 35 and 36, after I made sure I had my basics down and began only focusing on AAMC questions. In the end, no test prep company can compare to the AAMC’s question style. Thus, if Khan Academy has partnered with AAMC, I would think that doing all the problems and watching all the videos would be a very good investment of time.

Also, don’t underestimate the importance of knowing your basics inside and out. Having equations and concepts on the tip of my tongue really made the difference for me on test day.

I got a PS 12, VR 12, and BS 12, Composite 36 on the real thing.

Is it just me or are some of the Physical Sciences passages really, really dense and difficult? Physics is my weak point but I studied a lot and felt confident I could at least reason through the answer choices. Need to review more, I guess.

Is it just me or are some of the Physical Sciences passages really, really dense and difficult? Physics is my weak point but I studied a lot and felt confident I could at least reason through the answer choices. Need to review more, I guess.
I don't think the PS passages are representative of what we will see. They seem too detailed. Just my opinion though.