Kicked out of PT School, reapplying with low gpa. Chances?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DPTJMJ

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Major: Biology
Overall GPA (Transcript): 3.071

Extra-Curric: Indian Club at School, Biology Society, Arthritis Society fundraising, Badminton coach, Indian Community Youth League.

PT Related Employment: 90 hours at nursing home (sub-acute, long term in-patient) and 155 hours in Sports medicine (Dry needling, pediatrics, general orthopedics)

Volunteer: 100 hours of observation at sports medicine, 150.5 hours inpatient hospital (includes psych patients), and 23 hours (and counting) at aqua therapy setting.

Back story to me is that I was in a DPT program but got dismissed because I failed to keep my grades above a D in two classes. However, since I was in the dual degree program, I finished the last semester with classes that would improve my study habits because I knew I had to focus there. I got a Dean's list for that semester. I was hoping someone could give an insight if I should bother applying to the schools below (or if there are any I am missing. I do not care as to where I get accepted, as I am willing to dorm):

Rutgers – Newark Campus
Richard Stockton College (such high GPA... is it worth it?)
New York University
Nazareth College of Rochester
Sacred Heart University
Columbia University (prestigious school, low GPA requirement)
The Sage College
Springfield College
Florida Agricultural and Mechanical University
AT Still University of Health Sciences
Mercy College
Touro University
New York Medical College
University of Scranton (It seems as if those with low gpa are getting rejected here)
Clarkson University
Thomas Jefferson University
Dominican College of Blauvelt
Touro College
New York Institute of Technology

Since I am a Canadian citizenship as well...
Western U.
McGill U.
Queens U.

Anything helps, what can I do? More extracurricular activities? More observation sites? I spent 5 years of tuition and 1 year off. I just can't afford to take any more classes.

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I got 2 strong recommendation letters. One from the Physical Therapist and the other from my college study skills professor from my last semester.

Don't apply for Florida A&M. It's not worth your money. It looks like you have applied to some excellent programs. I'm not sure they will accept a student who has already been ejected from one PT program. You should have a back-up plan in case no school accepts you. Have you looked at PTA programs?

If you want to improve you application, start working somewhere to stay busy. Work on your memory and study habits to make sure you don't get ejected twice.

Members don't see this ad :)
I keep myself busy by working in a Laboratory as a Data Entry Clerk and as an aide at the sports physical therapy. Exactly what is wrong with Florida A&M... the program is not good or that it is a very competitive school? Is there any schools that are "easier" to get into that I do not have listed?

Rather than blindly applying to schools and hoping they let you in despite your past, I would contact schools directly prior to submitting an application. Talk to the director of admissions at each school and explain your situation, and ask them what it will take to be accepted into their program.

What do you mean "dual program?" When I hear that, I think of a DTP/PhD, but do you mean a 3+3 or BS/DPT? What year were you in the DPT program? How were you able to remain in the program after being kicked out? The situation is a little unclear.

If you applied to other DPT schools via a standard admissions path and were accepted to other schools previously, I would contact those schools and see what your chances are now.

Rather than blindly applying to schools and hoping they let you in despite your past, I would contact schools directly prior to submitting an application. Talk to the director of admissions at each school and explain your situation, and ask them what it will take to be accepted into their program.

What do you mean "dual program?" When I hear that, I think of a DTP/PhD, but do you mean a 3+3 or BS/DPT? What year were you in the DPT program? How were you able to remain in the program after being kicked out? The situation is a little unclear.

If you applied to other DPT schools via a standard admissions path and were accepted to other schools previously, I would contact those schools and see what your chances are now.

By saying dual program, I meant 3+4 BS/DPT program. I never applied to any other schools because I got a guaranteed seat. Since I never finished my degree and graduated (I only graduate after 1 year into the PT program) I had now 1 semester to close off my degree.

After getting dismissed from the PT program, I spoke to the director at my school and she said to take classes pertaining to study habits and reapply to other schools. She also said many have done better after getting dismissed from a program and become really got DPTs.

I think your best shot is to apply to the school that kicked you out. They know you and know the work you put in. They also know the professor who taught you better study habits. For other schools you will need to sell that you were not prepared the first time around, however, you know what it takes now. You need to sell that having been in PT school has made you aware of the difficulty and that you are prepared now.

I think your best shot is to apply to the school that kicked you out. They know you and know the work you put in. They also know the professor who taught you better study habits. For other schools you will need to sell that you were not prepared the first time around, however, you know what it takes now. You need to sell that having been in PT school has made you aware of the difficulty and that you are prepared now.
I was told that since I was in the program and was dismissed, I am not allowed to apply at the same school. Although, I am allowed to apply to other programs.

Thanks for clearing it up.

I think you definitely have a shot of getting in to other schools. I think the fact that you were dismissed from a dual program rather than a standard program will work in your favor. You can use the good ol' "I was young and didn't take it seriously" explanation. It's not uncommon for people who get in through freshman admit/guaranteed acceptance agreements to struggle a bit more. I have two friends who were dropped from a high school early acceptance program because they didn't keep their grades up. Sometimes having that guaranteed spot in a program can cause people to relax. Personally, the anxiety of not knowing where I would go to grad school is what kept me working hard to get the best grades possible.

What's your GRE status? You don't mention scores. But in your case, having above the 75th percentile would be helpful. And how are your grades in the core PTCAS pre-reqs? I know you mention the two Ds that got you dismissed, but if theses were graduate-level courses, they shouldn't affect your pre-req GPA.

I still think strategically choosing 5-6 schools and contacting them directly will be your best bet. I'm not a believer in the "cast a wide net" plan. It makes so much more sense to do the research and find out which schools you have a shot at before paying $500+ in app fees.

I think you definitely have a shot of getting in to other schools. I think the fact that you were dismissed from a dual program rather than a standard program will work in your favor. You can use the good ol' "I was young and didn't take it seriously" explanation. It's not uncommon for people who get in through freshman admit/guaranteed acceptance agreements to struggle a bit more. I have two friends who were dropped from a high school early acceptance program because they didn't keep their grades up. Sometimes having that guaranteed spot in a program can cause people to relax. Personally, the anxiety of not knowing where I would go to grad school is what kept me working hard to get the best grades possible.

What's your GRE status? You don't mention scores. But in your case, having above the 75th percentile would be helpful. And how are your grades in the core PTCAS pre-reqs? I know you mention the two Ds that got you dismissed, but if theses were graduate-level courses, they shouldn't affect your pre-req GPA.

I still think strategically choosing 5-6 schools and contacting them directly will be your best bet. I'm not a believer in the "cast a wide net" plan. It makes so much more sense to do the research and find out which schools you have a shot at before paying $500+ in app fees.

I will be taking the GREs on Oct. 1st. I am trying to earn the highest scores (obviously). PTCAS has not calculated my grades yet, and will only do so until my application has been processed.

But... here are what I have:
A&P I: B @ Community College and C+ in University (Did not transfer from Community College to Uni.)
A&P II: C+ @ Community College and B+ in University (Did not transfer from Community College to Uni.)
Biology I: B+
Biology II: C
Physics I: A- with A Lab
Physics II: A with A Lab
Statistics: B+
Intro to Psych: A in Community College and A in University (Did not transfer from Community College to Uni.)
Developmental Psych: A-

The schools I plan to apply to are on the lower GPA side. I am taking that these schools are looking into more than just GPA. Spoke to an aide I worked with who goes to Columbia and although it is a prestigious school, she spoke of how the school was more interested in extracurricular activity. I will start making some phone calls to some schools right now and see how someone in dilemma is seen.

Thank you everyone who has been replying! I will keep this post updated on my results, interview, acceptance, etc. Keep the feedbacks coming still! Greatly appreciated.

Wow that seems like a strange stance for them to take. What school told you that? If I were you I would try to spin it as a positive. I would say that I have experience being in DPT school and know exactly what I'm getting myself into.

I called some schools, and all of them are advising to state my reason as to why I got dismissed from the program and what I have done. They are saying that they look at the applications holistically and and I am free to apply. Also in PTCAS, there is a section where I can state it in the background essay.

Reactions: 1 user
That's good! I would work really hard on that area so you can make yourself look good.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm not a believer in the "cast a wide net" plan. It makes so much more sense to do the research and find out which schools you have a shot at before paying $500+ in app fees.

+1... I wish more people on the board would give this advice.

This isn't a good strategy and schools know who is genuine and who is not. Veterans on this board keep saying: be strategic! You're much better off applying to six schools where you have a chance of being accepted than 20 schools where you have no chance.

DMTJMJ: you will need to write a fantastic essay on why you were dismissed and why you think you are ready for a second chance. You must tell them what you will do differently.

Best of luck. I admire your courage to apply again. I think I would've jumped off a cliff had I been dismissed from my program!

Reactions: 1 users
I fin
This isn't a good strategy and schools know who is genuine and who is not. Veterans on this board keep saying: be strategic! You're much better off applying to six schools where you have a chance of being accepted than 20 schools where you have no chance.

DMTJMJ: you will need to write a fantastic essay on why you were dismissed and why you think you are ready for a second chance. You must tell them what you will do differently.

Best of luck. I admire your courage to apply again. I think I would've jumped off a cliff had I been dismissed from my program!
Amen:)

The problem with pinning down to almost 6 school is that I have no idea how to! I have been looking through PTCAS, but other than GPA and the seat available per year... I don't know what else to look for.

The problem with pinning down to almost 6 school is that I have no idea how to! I have been looking through PTCAS, but other than GPA and the seat available per year... I don't know what else to look for.

You have to decide what is important to you. There are many variables that make up a DPT program. Class size, cost, learning approach, type of university/institution, geographic location, program philosophy, etc. You have an advantage because you've already experienced one DPT program. What did you like about it? What were things you didn't like?
For example, I'm looking for a school:
1. With a small class size. Preferably 40 for fewer students
2. At a large to medium sized school
3. With opportunities or requirements for research (especially a DPT/PhD option)
4. Affiliated with a medical school or hospital
5. A philosophy based on interprofessional collaboration
6. A philosophy that emphasizes evidence-based practice
7. Is affordable, or has opportunities for scholarships or GA positions, etc.
Schools I'm applying to have to meet at least 5 of these criteria.

Think about what your dream program would be like. And don't put "Will offer me admission" as your number one thing. You shouldn't feel bad about being picky! Some things you might want to look for are schools that have a lower GPA requirement, or take a "holistic" approach to admissions. It would probably be beneficial for you to apply to schools that have an interview process, that way you have the chance to explain your situation thoroughly and win them over. The main way to find out more about a school is not through PTCAS. They give you basic info, but make sure you look at the program's website. Read the Director's Welcome Message and program Mission Statement. Check out their curriculum guide and alumni newsletter. These will give you a much better feel for what the program is like. Once you find a few schools that you really like, contact them about your situation and see what they say.

Don't apply for Florida A&M. It's not worth your money. It looks like you have applied to some excellent programs. I'm not sure they will accept a student who has already been ejected from one PT program. You should have a back-up plan in case no school accepts you. Have you looked at PTA programs?

If you want to improve you application, start working somewhere to stay busy. Work on your memory and study habits to make sure you don't get ejected twice.

Just curious as to how applying to Florida A&M is not worth the money?

From what I'm told, their accreditation is very "shaky". The pass rate last year on the NPTE was 60%. Normally schools have AT LEAST a 98% pass rate.

From what I'm told, their accreditation is very "shaky". The pass rate last year on the NPTE was 60%. Normally schools have AT LEAST a 98% pass rate.

Also, they have officially received a "Warning" from CAPTE and they are on probation. I'd think a pass rate that low would be cause for de-accreditation.

They are just so unorganized. Their programs were fantastic in the 90s, but not anymore. They need to get their stuff together if they want to stay accredited.

Just curious to know how is the person who was dismissed from PT school and is reapplying is doing. I am in a very similar situation to the OP except i was in MSOT school and am now trying to apply to other schools

Just curious to know how is the person who was dismissed from PT school and is reapplying is doing. I am in a very similar situation to the OP except i was in MSOT school and am now trying to apply to other schools

So, officially applied to:
Rutgers (Newark)
AT Still University of Health Sciences
Dominican College of Blauvelt
Springfield College
NYIT
Thomas Jefferson U
University of Sciences in Philadelphia
Mercy College
Touro College (Bay Shore and Manhattan)
Touro University Nevada
Clarkson U

Accepted:
none

Waitlist:
none

Rejected:
Rutgers and NYIT

I am now looking into PTA as a back up option. I took a year off to try and get back into PT school. I still have my head high, but I cannot afford to lose another year.

Any Updates On this?!?
I am in a similar situation in that I was almost dismissed for academics but decided to leave on my own Merit I have not gotten in anywhere.

Any Updates On this?!?
I am in a similar situation in that I was almost dismissed for academics but decided to leave on my own Merit I have not gotten in anywhere.
Just wondering, how did you find yourself dismissed for academics? Study habits?

I worked at a sports setting clinic shortly after my dismissal. I took a year off... thinking I will have an chance if I apply to a wide variety colleges. I only ended up getting an interview at Mercy College. However, nursing was always a back up and I ended up getting an acceptance to a good university near my house.