Kind of Scared...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JohnMathews

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my MCAT scores are lower than what I hoped for... I got 24Q and my GPA is only 3.2 :S
So basically, do I even have a chance at getting into a DO program?
And if not, what are the minimum GPA and MCAT scores needed to get into any DO program?
And one more question, as one of the requirements it says you have to submit a LOR from a DO...does it really have to be from a DO or can it be from a MD also?
I live in Canada, and it is very difficult to find a DO that i can find and shadow.

Members don't see this ad.

So my MCAT scores are lower than what I hoped for... I got 24Q and my GPA is only 3.2 :S
So basically, do I even have a chance at getting into a DO program?
And if not, what are the minimum GPA and MCAT scores needed to get into any DO program?
And one more question, as one of the requirements it says you have to submit a LOR from a DO...does it really have to be from a DO or can it be from a MD also?
I live in Canada, and it is very difficult to find a DO that i can find and shadow.

To be honest, I think it's unlikely. I think you'd be borderline to get in if you were an American citizen, but as a Canadian it'll really be an uphill battle.

You have a few options: (1) grade replacement to improve your GPA (the higher the better, but getting it up to the 3.4-3.6 range would really help), (2) retake the mcat (i would say you should shoot for something in the 27-29 range) or (3) look into carribean schools (but be very mindful of the dangers with going this route. many who begin this path do not finish, and are left only with a large amount of debt that they can't get rid of.) My choice would be a combination of 1 & 2. Really look at what went wrong with your mcat and come up with a strategy to improve your score.

Good luck!

Yea, i am probably going to retake and try to get into a DO school. If i retake the MCAT more than once is this looked down upon in MD/DO schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea, i am probably going to retake and try to get into a DO school. If i retake the MCAT more than once is this looked down upon in MD/DO schools

Not necessarily. Just make sure you show significant improvement on the retake(s).

As was mentioned above, you have a slim chance of being accepted as a Canadian with those stats.

Edit: Just noticed you made another thread yesterday claiming a 26R and 3.4 GPA. What's the real story?

Yea, i am probably going to retake and try to get into a DO school. If i retake the MCAT more than once is this looked down upon in MD/DO schools?

Depends on the school and if you show upward trend, for instance I recently spoke with a premed advisor at MSUCOM over here and she mentioned a student who took the MCAT 5 times before finally matriculating.

Coming from Canada, that's way too low. I would suggest a 3.5/30 to be competitive as an international student.