'Kinda' prerequisites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sacredhearts

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I hear a lot about how some med schools require some courses and some don't. Right now I have one quarter of calculus under my belt (UC System), but I don't know how this translates to med school requirements if that's all I do - the rest is AP credit and I finished the series.

If I wanted to be safe and keep all my options open, what courses do I need to be able to apply to all medical schools? What I kind of know:

-1 year of English (what counts as english exactly?)
-One semester (?) of calculus
-One semester of statistics
-Biology with labs , 1 year
-Chemistry with labs, 1 year

Then to fulfill some other niche schools:
-Orgo chem II?
-Psychology?
-Physics?

And then there are just some other recommended courses - if anyone could let me know what some med schools really like to see, like spanish, that'd be helpful. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Basic requirements:
1 year of orgo (orgo 1, 2, and lab)
1 year of physics (physics 1 and 2)
1 year of biology
1 year of general chemistry w/ lab
Some English = literature / reading / writing classes

Niche school classes: physcology (never took it, didn't hurt me, didn't help me), statistics (only 1/16 schools I applied to require stats), Calc (I took 1 & 2, not sure if this is required for med school, it was required for my major)

I did a Spanish minor, helped fulfill the requirements of required nonscience courses. Only do it if it interests you because pretending to care about Spanish for 4 years is a looooooooong time

Reactions: 1 user
I don't think there's anything that most medical schools "really like." No one is going to be impressed with your app by virtue of taking a few classes. If those classes fit into a broader general interest - for example, you studied X language for four years but also used that to do something else, whatever that may be - then that's a little more meaningful.

In terms of "what counts" for english, I think just about anything. Back when I applied, the intro level english courses that all students were required to take at my university were sufficient. If you don't have that requirement, I'd just take something that seems interesting to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
I hear a lot about how some med schools require some courses and some don't. Right now I have one quarter of calculus under my belt (UC System), but I don't know how this translates to med school requirements if that's all I do - the rest is AP credit and I finished the series.

If I wanted to be safe and keep all my options open, what courses do I need to be able to apply to all medical schools? What I kind of know:

-Orgo chem II?
-Psychology?
-Physics?

And then there are just some other recommended courses - if anyone could let me know what some med schools really like to see, like spanish, that'd be helpful. Thanks!

To this list I would add one semester of Biochemistry. Many schools are requiring it now and taking the new MCAT without Biochem is a bad idea.

Reactions: 4 users
Chances are any "writing intensive" class will fulfill the English requirement - you need two of them. If it is offered outside of the English department, you can contact the schools you are interested in and ask. Ask via email and attach the syllabus - it is important that you get the response in writing.

You do need two semesters of physics for almost all schools. Orgo II is good to have. Psychology is on the new MCAT, so even if it is not required as a prerequisite, it is best to take it.

In addition to psychology, I recommend taking an intro. sociology course. It's an easy course, and is also on the new MCAT.

Biochem will most likely be added to most schools over time. My state school added it, as did several other schools on my application list. Plus, you really need it on the MCAT. I would agree that Psych and Sociology are good to have. If you need them for general studies or core requirements, make life easy on yourself and take them.
I also found that my medical ethics course helped in interviews. I had considered almost every ethical question beforehand.

MSAR Online will tell you exactly what different schools require.

-Orgo chem II?
-Psychology?
-Physics?

To this list I would add one semester of Biochemistry. Many schools are requiring it now and taking the new MCAT without Biochem is a bad idea.

Do not sweat not taking Biochem lab -- very VERY few require it, and many schools -- including mine -- do not even offer it.

Just a personal recommendation, a good Anatomy and physiology course can help you immensely. Those who didn't take it are regretting it now that we are in.