Kindle or Kindle Fire for the wards?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ravendown

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Like the question says, does anyone currently use one of these on the wards e.g. like when they have downtime to read or something. I have a bunch of pdfs of books like pocket medicine etc. and was told that they can be converted to kindle format; has anyone tried this and if so, did it convert properly?

Members don't see this ad.

Also interested to get some feedback on the Kindle. Aside from pdf, does it work with chm files? If not, I'm considering an ipad instead since it can read both pdf and chm with more functionality, although its too big to fit in a coat pocket.

Got the kindle fire when it first came out a few months into my third year and it's been a great tool. I had all my pdf's on there, could surf the web and look things up if there was wireless in the hospital (most of our affiliated hospitals did have wireless). The battery life is fantastic compared to a laptop...and I'm addicted to amazon already anyways b/c of my prime student account. And its small enough for any white coat pocket.

So yeah, I like it all around

Members don't see this ad :)
I use a Kindle Fire. Amazon sells the Case Files books for half of the price for the paper books, and the Fire is also pretty good at handling pdf versions of books if you want to go that route. The battery is more than enough, it usually lasts most of the week, depending on how much downtime I get to actually read. Best of all, it fits perfectly in my inner white coat pocket.

Have you tried a chm file with the fire?

Yeah I tried chm file with the fire. Just used an android chm app file and it works perfectly. Works just like an ebook with the text resizing etc. I have harrison's on there...but i haven't really used it.

Update: After a few weeks with the kindle fire; there isn't so much time to use it on the wards [where I am at least]. Initially I was doing this...and that with my awesome intern; now though, I've got a new one who's meh...just meh; and there is more down time. It's quite useful and Harrison's literally has everything.