Kinesiology or Athletic Training for pre physical therapy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mathlegend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which one would be a better major if I wish to become a physical therapist?

Members don't see this ad.

From personal experience, athletic trainer will give you all the basics you would need for a PT career. In addition, AT is a great job in itself. Most of the therapists working with teams (varsity, national, international) are in fact ATs. So if you want good exposure to orthopaedics and anatomy, go for the AT.

On the other hand, if you choose to pursue another health field like medicine, kinesiology will give you some more general science exposure. I don't know many MDs with AT backgrounds.

All in all, the two fields are very similar. AT is definitely more focused on MSK/orthopaedics and you will learn the basic assessment and treatment skills for common sports injuries. Most AT programs also involve internships with teams/athletes which gives you an upper hand for experiences to brag about during PT applications.

If you are 100% set on being a PT, I would do AT. If you are at all considering MD, do Kinesiology.

Just my opinion.

I recently asked a program a similar question, and the response I got was that both majors were looked at very favorably, but I can't say that they liked one more than the other.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks guys! I'm hoping for some more opinions. Thats good, that both are looked upon favorably. I'm leaning more towards Athletic Training, since I honestly don't think I'll survive med school and if I do, my interests are still in sports, and the world would end if I end up matching into orthopedic surgery. At least I have some time, as I'm just a junior in high school right now.

What matters is what you plan to practice when you become a PT. If you want to practice in a sports setting ATC will be more beneficial. If you are looking for a more general sports science background with focus on movement, kines would be better. ATC is more focused on acute management of sports injuries while kines is much more broad.

Neither one is a perfect major for a Physical Therapy Program as both cover similar aspects and will overlap with some of the education you will receive, but neither will give you all of the need to know information before the fact.

My advice, and this goes for anyone looking for schooling advice is to major in something you find interesting--not something that is going to give you a 'leg up on the competition' so to speak. If that interest drives you toward AT then by all means go for it.

I guess what I am saying is, try not to head down a certain pathway if you are not interested in all of the aspects surrounding it just for the sake of using the credentials later in order to do what you really want to do. Admissions committees have a knack of weeding out that kind of BS.

All you really need are the pre-requisite courses. So major on something that fulfills you and makes you happy.

When I go into practice, I'm hoping to have a focus on sports injuries.

Yes, I will make sure I enjoy the major before I decide to go for it.

Which one would be a better major if I wish to become a physical therapist?

As a member of both organizations (duel certified) and a teacher for some courses in both programs, I can tell you that there is a great deal of overlap in the book work b/t PT and AT. Each is a somewhat unique healthcare profession and both could perform equally well with most of each others patients. Clinical training is where these two groups seem to depart into seperate paths. The athletic training profession has adopted the same core competencies as the PT profession, but with additional focus on prehospital care and provisions of primary care.

I truly believe that each has the foundation to learn each others trade with on the job training, but because they are different organizations... politics take over. In my ideal world, they would morph into one organization with a standardized educational track and the ability to specialize after PT school.

PT's do far more inpatient education and clinical training....neuro...ect versus
our AT program does 4 week clinical rotations in different specialties like physicians do in training.

Kinesiology/exercise science is more of a generic degree. Have you looked into a double major?

In AT you can easily take the prerequisites for medicine without much burdon. It seems that AT's are inclined to pursue either PT or PA school. I can't confirm this, but years ago before the AT profession was as organized as it is now, PT's could challenge the AT exam.....Today, a PT has to go through an accredited AT program to become certified.

l.

L.

So it seems like its a good idea to at least major in Athletic Training? And double major...I'll look into that, but whats the point?

I'm an ATC and will be graduating with my DPT in May. My advice would be to do your undergrad in AT, especially if you want to practice in a sports/orthopedics setting. You will be more well rounded when it comes acute injury assessment (helpful in direct access) and higher level return to play progressions. It also makes PT school so much easier when you've already been exposed to the majority of the ortho topics, you can learn things more in depth rather than wasting time memorizing things like the rest of your classmates.

Thanks, that makes sense. I'm leaning more towards athletic training major now!

Also, why not go out and shadow an AT for a day or two?

Try to find an AT in your area that works with athletes/teams and inquire if you can tag along to watch/help out during a sports event. It will give you the best first-hand idea of what it is AT's are responsible for and you can also ask him/her all the questions you are having right now.

If you are interested in sports, then athletic training would make a great major to work towards going to PT school. One thing I really like about athletic training over PT is that with athletic training you're more like to see the MOI. PT's are more reactive and don't see the patient for a few days after the injury normally.

I work at a PT clinic when I'm home on break and an athletic trainer, a PTA and I had this discussion the other day. We were talking about how in athletic training we don't really cover a great deal on the spine and rehab for the spine. PTA's and PT's do. BUT it was mentioned that if one of our members (PT clinic and fitness center in one) were to fall on their head somehow, the PT staff mainly wouldn't be able to deal with it via spineboarding, etc. An athletic trainer does learn that.

Good idea. I know an athletic trainer that helps at local high school (too bad not mine!)

What is MOI?

It seems like having a ATC and DPT is a good combo.

Ah I see. Thanks!

Now about athletic training, would I get a different experience if I go to a big name sports school (like University of Michigan) versus if I go to a local school (like San Jose State University) if it still has div 1 sports?

And I looked at the curriculum. It seems that it is hard to fit all the PT school prereqs in the 4 years. Is it common to spend a year after graduation to finish up some prereqs?

Ah I see. Thanks!

Now about athletic training, would I get a different experience if I go to a big name sports school (like University of Michigan) versus if I go to a local school (like San Jose State University) if it still has div 1 sports?

And I looked at the curriculum. It seems that it is hard to fit all the PT school prereqs in the 4 years. Is it common to spend a year after graduation to finish up some prereqs?

When you are looking at schools ask them what experiences you will have on your clinicals. At some big schools you may be viewed as free help instead of being completely involved, sometimes small schools offer better experiences. Just ask.

As for getting prereqs done, I needed to take a couple of classes over the summer before my senior year to get them in. There should be no reason to need an entire extra year to finish them up. You can get them finished no problem.

Thanks, I'll be sure to ask before I apply to schools.

Thats great, I don't want to spend more time in school than I really have to XD