Kmart pharmacy questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pharmd2014grad

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone work or has worked at Kmart? Or do you know anyone who works there? What kind of schedule does a full-time pharmacist/pharmacy manager usually work? How does it compare to the bigger chains (stress level, customers, work environment)? Are there numbers to meet (scripts, flu shots, etc.)? Any input is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Keep your head on a swivel with Kmart. Just had another one close up here recently leaving the pharmacists looking for work

KMart is such a good company that they were no-shows at my alma mater's most recent career/interview day. Just didn't show up lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I heard they have cut the tech budget to zero at some of their stores so the pharmacist has to do all the work. They do close the pharmacy for lunch.

I don't know about their metrics but I do recall they were getting into the MTM business.

Maybe go and visit a kmart pharmacy in the area. I'm guessing you won't see much tech help if any.

If you go to work for them keep in mind you have a very real chance of being laid off due to your store or the company itself closing within the next 5 years.

I was just training somebody who jumped ship from there. He said he was working 80+ hours per week and they shorted him on his paycheck, and he had very little tech help. Add that on to the very real risk that your store will close, or the company will go out of business completely, and it doesn't seem like a good risk. On the plus side, if you want the hours they are apparently available.

My friend who works for K-Mart told me his job is really stress-free~30-50 scripts/day. Lunch break and he gets to sit at work from time to time. (No tech help at all but it's not too bad when you only fill 50 rx a day)

On the other side, I work for one of the big chains, fill 200-300 scripts/day, no lunch break, drive-thru, lots of metrics/goals to meet and we get paid about the same..lol

Job security could be a concern for K-Mart few years from now but it's still a easy paycheck than working for other evil chains.