Know all of uworld explanations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neurology2015

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm going to soon be in my last semester of second year. I have completed anatomy, histo, phys, biochem, neuro, micro, immuno,and path I and next semester is path ii, pharm, and behavioral which will last till August

I till date have been primarily using Kaplan lecture series notes and medessentials and know them cold. I plan to take step I next march

Is this a good plan... Put on a Microsoft word document all the uworld explanations and know all of it in addition to Kaplan and then practice on uworld. So that way I can practice my knowledge on uworld questions as I see uworld is very picky with details which sometimes I overlook or it's not mentioned in Kaplan. This way a combination of uworld explanations and all the info from Kaplan lecture series notes is my source of medical knowledge

In addition I plan to do Kaplan qbank, usmle rx, rubbins pathology q and a, and nms usmle. Finally, i will be doing a kaplan live prep usmle program early next jan for 6 weeks which will go till mix feb and then i plan to spend another 4 weeks at home just reviewing everything. Would all of this and study method ensure that I will pass step 1 at a minimum? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

u94fq.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
you have microsoft word?... some one stole my copy of microsoft office :(

IMG_4106.jpeg

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
No, about how they tend to be able to suppress it better. They definitely have sex drives.

I don't think they suppress it better, i think they expect more out of who they are going to hook up with. (get cocky).

on a side-note O.P i hope we are helping you.

I don't think they suppress it better, i think they expect more out of who they are going to hook up with. (get cocky).

on a side-note O.P i hope we are helping you.

Right, they don't just give in to the urge that a guy will 9 times out of 10.

I'm going to soon be in my last semester of second year. I have completed anatomy, histo, phys, biochem, neuro, micro, immuno,and path I and next semester is path ii, pharm, and behavioral which will last till August

I till date have been primarily using Kaplan lecture series notes and medessentials and know them cold. I plan to take step I next march

Is this a good plan... Put on a Microsoft word document all the uworld explanations and know all of it in addition to Kaplan and then practice on uworld. So that way I can practice my knowledge on uworld questions as I see uworld is very picky with details which sometimes I overlook or it's not mentioned in Kaplan. This way a combination of uworld explanations and all the info from Kaplan lecture series notes is my source of medical knowledge

In addition I plan to do Kaplan qbank, usmle rx, rubbins pathology q and a, and nms usmle. Finally, i will be doing a kaplan live prep usmle program early next jan for 6 weeks which will go till mix feb and then i plan to spend another 4 weeks at home just reviewing everything. Would all of this and study method ensure that I will pass step 1 at a minimum? Thanks

I should hope so considering you go to a Carribean school (which are known to "teach to the boards") and you're taking a Kaplan Medical full-review course.

Right, they don't just give in to the urge that a guy will 9 times out of 10.

please they def give into the urge in med school, all of them are all so wound up. You are in DERM it should be easy for you to get girls. I feel like derms always got more of an attractive crowd than other specialities. weird.

Take NBME's asses yourself, if score is going up keep up the good work.. You should be fine.

please they def give into the urge in med school, all of them are all so wound up. You are in DERM it should be easy for you to get girls. I feel like derms always got more of an attractive crowd than other specialities. weird.

Derm also attracts the female tightwad/anal retentive crowd. Think the cast of Mean Girls but smarter. They tend to be married to guys in Ortho before setting foot in residency.

OP: knowing those resources cold will allow you to do very well on step 1, probably in the 240's range. To break into 250's and beyond, you'll need some of the random low-yield material from MS-1 and MS-2, so make sure you're kicking ass on your exams for the remainder of MS-2. Approx ~25% or more of your exam will be material not covered in any of the popular review resources. I had questions on my exam that I only knew from shadowing/scrubbing into surgery cases, so make sure you're not relying exclusively on popular review materials during MS-2.

OP: knowing those resources cold will allow you to do very well on step 1, probably in the 240's range. To break into 250's and beyond, you'll need some of the random low-yield material from MS-1 and MS-2, so make sure you're kicking ass on your exams for the remainder of MS-2. Approx ~25% or more of your exam will be material not covered in any of the popular review resources. I had questions on my exam that I only knew from shadowing/scrubbing into surgery cases, so make sure you're not relying exclusively on popular review materials during MS-2.

Disagree with this almost entirely. I did very well in basic sciences. My nbme average was in the 260's. I felt like the real deal hit a lot of my weaknesses, and I ended up scoring in the 250's. I used portions of firecracker/gt, pathoma, rx, qbank, uw, fa, kaplan vids, and god knows what else throughout my prep. Even with all that, I tried to make a document in the last couple weeks of dedicated that consisted of info on FA i was either iffy on or didnt know. I ended up giving up on making it bc it was shaping to be huuuuuge. Until you have the HY resources down pat, i think you're wasting your time going elsewhere (and id argue that unless you're taking a dedicated year to prep, that isn't going to happen). Step success = do well first two years to form background and place minutiae somewhere in your head + FA + UW + pathoma/RR during dedicated. Mox in step prep throughout first 2 years with HY resources +/- Rx

Disagree with this almost entirely. I did very well in basic sciences. My nbme average was in the 260's. I felt like the real deal hit a lot of my weaknesses, and I ended up scoring in the 250's. I used portions of firecracker/gt, pathoma, rx, qbank, uw, fa, kaplan vids, and god knows what else throughout my prep. Even with all that, I tried to make a document in the last couple weeks of dedicated that consisted of info on FA i was either iffy on or didnt know. I ended up giving up on making it bc it was shaping to be huuuuuge. Until you have the HY resources down pat, i think you're wasting your time going elsewhere (and id argue that unless you're taking a dedicated year to prep, that isn't going to happen). Step success = do well first two years to form background and place minutiae somewhere in your head + FA + UW + pathoma/RR during dedicated. Mox in step prep throughout first 2 years with HY resources +/- Rx

You lead off by saying you disagree "almost entirely" with his post, then go on for several sentences to support his ideas with more of the same.

You're both more or less on the same page. In general, relying heavily on review materials can get you a good score, but may not give you that extra bump into the next stratosphere that you're looking for. The closer you get to the 260/270 range, the more things like luck, capacity for minutiae, and test-taking skills come itno play.

I'm pretty sure KinasePro wasn't saying anyone should abandon the popular review resources in favor of focusing on low yield M1/M2 material; rather, if you've got that stuff down about as well as you think is possible and are dead set on demolishing the exam, you may have to start looking elsewhere (or, alternatively, you may have to start hoping that you actually did work harder than to just pass in the first two years, and retained a lot of the random garbage that may show up on the exam).

Reactions: 4 users

I don't have much to add to what GuyWhoDoesStuff wrote. You're actually agreeing with me for the most part.

To further clarify though, OP has a decent chunk of coursework left before his study session, and IMO it'd be a mistake to focus heavily on Kaplan review materials at this point when he still has ground to cover in MS-2. OP needs to master his coursework as best as he can right now, and focus on the high yield review resources during dedicated study. FA/pathoma/goljan etc are great during the dedicated review period, but a significant portion of the exam is not covered in any of these resources and practically impossible to prepare for during your study session. The best way to prepare for these "unknown unknowns" is to do well during MS-2.

Reactions: 1 user
Sorry, I very much misinterpreted your post somehow. My mistake / apologies

Derm also attracts the female tightwad/anal retentive crowd. Think the cast of Mean Girls but smarter. They tend to be married to guys in Ortho before setting foot in residency.

Ortho dude + Derm girl couple = HS quarterback taking the star cheerleader to prom

Reactions: 1 users