Know of an online Genetics class?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

QuackaDO

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of a 4 credit hr Genetics course through an accredited institution (college or university... no CE or training classes) that you can take online? I'm in Iraq and would like to retake my 4 hr genetics class to replace a grade but haven't been successful locating one available EXCLUSIVELY online yet...

Members don't see this ad.

Hello! I took human genetics online through Athabasca University in Alberta Canada. It is through a Canadian institution but it sufficed in terms of pre-requisites. It is really great as you can have six months to do the course on your own schedule and it is completely online; I don't live anywhere near Alberta and did the entire course of study on my own. And you get set up with a tutor, which was extremely helpful. I've taken three classes this way and all of them have been great learning experiences.

OP, I understand your situation and the great distance you are from the states, but I was under the impression that online courses, as well as community college courses, would not suffice for a prerequisite.

Members don't see this ad :)
OP, I understand your situation and the great distance you are from the states, but I was under the impression that online courses, as well as community college courses, would not suffice for a prerequisite.

You're saying pre-reqs taken at a CC don't count? That's totally wrong. ;)

As long as a school is accredited, it will count.

I stand corrected, my intuition has failed me. :p

Here is a link to a previous thread with a wealth of juicy info!!

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=369692

OK, cuz I was going to say if online classes aren't accepted for prereqs I'd be totally HOSED!! :mad: I have several that I've already taken that were online and your mention of them not being accepted was the first I had heard of that, but I'll definitely check out the link you provided... thanks!

BTW.... is there somewhere that lists CCs that are accredited or some way I can find out that they are? I am like 99.999% sure they are (they are major CCs in the Denver metro area) but I just want to make sure. Also, if anyone knows of any more CCs or Univs that offer genetics online.. please chime in :)

Last edited:
Hmmm.. not any of the florida schools. I know that for a fact. I took my on campus. That would be a hard class to take online (the lab portion I mean) because you have to run gels. Sorry i couldn't help you :)

Hmmm.. not any of the florida schools. I know that for a fact. I took my on campus. That would be a hard class to take online (the lab portion I mean) because you have to run gels. Sorry i couldn't help you :)

Yeah, I took mine originally on campus as well, but being stuck over here in the sand doesn't leave me many options except online... We didn't have a true lab portion to ours as I remember it... just some "activities" that they had us do and I don't remember any of them being in the lab, but my memory could be failing me now...

boy were you lucky if your lab wasn't that bad! My lab was a drag!!!! It was a lot of work and it always lasted the entire time (the whole 4 hours sometimes even longer). All because of gel electrophoresis!! lol

Genetics is only REQUIRED for MSU (and maybe Kansas City?). Since it is only recommended for most schools, perhaps you could look into a different recommended science courses online, like anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, cell biology, embryology, histology, etc..., if you continue to have trouble finding a suitable genetics one. If you can pull good grades in any of these courses I'm sure it could make up for a less-than-stellar grade in a single genetics course.

Just a thought!!

Genetics is only REQUIRED for MSU (and maybe Kansas City?). Since it is only recommended for most schools, perhaps you could look into a different recommended science courses online, like anatomy, physiology, biochemistry, cell biology, embryology, histology, etc..., if you continue to have trouble finding a suitable genetics one. If you can pull good grades in any of these courses I'm sure it could make up for a less-than-stellar grade in a single genetics course.

Just a thought!!

I agree, except that I've already taken all of those courses mentioned plus several more (except embryology) and gotten A's and B's in all of them. Unfortunately I scored a whopping D in genetics (family and job issues that semester) and that is the only upper level Bio class I got below a B in, so that is why I am looking to retake and replace.

Last edited:
Does anyone know of a 4 credit hr Genetics course through an accredited institution (college or university... no CE or training classes) that you can take online? I'm in Iraq and would like to retake my 4 hr genetics class to replace a grade but haven't been successful locating one available EXCLUSIVELY online yet...
Oregon State University has an on-line Genetics class (BI 311, 4 credits).
Hope this helps.

Oregon State University has an on-line Genetics class (BI 311, 4 credits).
Hope this helps.
AWESOME!! I'll be looking at that first thing in the morning when I wake up! :D

Just a thought!!

Does anyone know of any accredited schools that offer these classes (anatomy, physiology, biochem, cell biology, histology, embryology) -- basically upper divison biology classes online?

Does anyone know of any accredited schools that offer these classes (anatomy, physiology, biochem, cell biology, histology, embryology) -- basically upper divison biology classes online?

I don't think Anatomy and Physiology fall into the upper level BIO category, or at least they didn't at my school. If you are willing to take them through a CC online then CC of Denver or CCConline has those and lots of other stuff too. As I mentioned in another thread about it Metro St. College Denver has Cell and Molecular Bio online, or they did when I went there and I just found out that Oregon St. has Biochem online, as long as you can secure a proctor for test taking.

Last edited:
I don't think Anatomy and Physiology fall into the upper level BIO category, or at least they didn't at my school. If you are willing to take them through a CC online then CC of Denver or CCConline has those and lots of other stuff too. As I mentioned in another thread about it Metro St. College Denver has Cell and Molecular Bio online, or they did when I went there and I just found out that Oregon St. has Biochem online, as long as you can secure a proctor for test taking.

A&P is upper level at many schools, so even if you take it at a CC, adcoms generally hold it at a different level than your intro bio classes. Of course, usually classes at a CC don't go above the 200 or 2000 (sophomore) level, but it's held in the same regard as Microbiology/Mol & Cell Bio/Genetics/etc and is often a 300 or 3000 (junior) level class at many universities.