KSUCPM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robert De Niro

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Congrats to everyone who has received an acceptance into one of the nine podiatry schools. I'm creating this thread on behalf of the KSUCPM's Office of Enrollment for students interested in the school and to answer any questions. Please feel free to post here, or private message me. Best of luck to the of you interested in applying to school.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
Feel free to PM or ask me also and like De Niro said, congrats!

Kent was originally my top choice when I first started looking at schools. However I was "advised" that some people in the community find it odd that Kent has had so many different affiliations in the past couple of years and that it might reflect negatively on their graduates down the line. I am obviously just in the beginning stages of understanding the workings of the podiatry both in practice and out, so I was wondering if I was misled or perhaps this was just the opinion of one person etc. I really don't mean to try and spread a false statement if this is one, just genuinely curious.

Also: I am getting tired of waiting to send in my app (MCAT comes in Feb 25th). Should I go ahead and send it to Kent and possibly get an interview earlier or will it not even be looked at until my MCAT accompanies my app?

Thank You!

Members don't see this ad :)
Kent was originally my top choice when I first started looking at schools. However I was "advised" that some people in the community find it odd that Kent has had so many different affiliations in the past couple of years and that it might reflect negatively on their graduates down the line. I am obviously just in the beginning stages of understanding the workings of the podiatry both in practice and out, so I was wondering if I was misled or perhaps this was just the opinion of one person etc. I really don't mean to try and spread a false statement if this is one, just genuinely curious.

Also: I am getting tired of waiting to send in my app (MCAT comes in Feb 25th). Should I go ahead and send it to Kent and possibly get an interview earlier or will it not even be looked at until my MCAT accompanies my app?

Thank You!

In regards to submitting your app, you can go a head do that now. You may receive an interview invite before your MCAT comes in, but the rest of your app would dictate it. Considering your score comes in next week, you should be fine either way.

As for the first part of your post, I don't really understand the "had different affiliations" comment. The school was established in 1916 as the Ohio College of Podiatric Medicine, and remained such until 2012, when the school merged with Kent State University to become KSUCPM. This has been the only academic merger for the school, and something that I believe helps increase resources for the students (dual degrees, more research opportunities, Sports Med rotation with the University's physician group). We also have many affiliations with many hospitals where we complete our 3rd and 4th year core rotations, which include University Hospital (which our Residency program is through), Cleveland Clinic, MetroHealth Hospital, St. Vincent Charity Hospital, the Cleveland VA, and a handful of other clinics around the area. All of these affiliations have been in place for several years, and none have changed since the merger with Kent.

If I am misunderstanding your post please let me know, otherwise, I feel our merger with Kent will only help our students, especially with the extra research and Sports Med rotation. As for the many hospital affiliations for our core rotations, I believe most schools have multiple partnerships with hospitals, allowing students to expose themselves to as many programs as possible, along with your 4th year externships. Hope this all helps and if you have any other questions, send them our (UCFgrad10) way. Good luck with the application process!

Thank You!

Not a clue who would have advised that. Really doesn't make much sense and as was said, the affiliation has only changed once in 98 years. Not to mention that many of the colleges of podiatric medicine have merged with major universities in the past 20 years as it is a recommendation in APMA's Vision 2015 that all schools do so.

I know you're just starting out with this so as far as getting advice, I would generally recommend calling a school and asking a question. The schools really don't spin and hide things as much as people on these boards would have you believe. When it comes to pre-med advisers at your undergrad, there are a few who know a bit about pod schools but truthfully most are as in the dark about podiatry and podiatric medical education as the pre-meds themselves. That would be my recommendation for researching any podiatry school. Good luck with your application and hopefully you'll be in school in August.

Hello!
Kent is my top school right now and I'm really excited about going there! My podiatry mentor went there and I'm stoked about hearing from them! I submitted my application and it should be sent on March 5th from AACPMAS. How soon should I expect to hear from Enrollment concerning interviews? Do they just send you an email with available dates for it? What is the interview process like at Kent (i.e. is there a tour, meeting with dean, do you have to write a short essay)? Basically, I'd like to learn all I can about the process beforehand so I can have an idea of what to expect-bring on the tiny details!! Thank you in advance, I really love the page. :)

Hello!
Kent is my top school right now and I'm really excited about going there! My podiatry mentor went there and I'm stoked about hearing from them! I submitted my application and it should be sent on March 5th from AACPMAS. How soon should I expect to hear from Enrollment concerning interviews? Do they just send you an email with available dates for it? What is the interview process like at Kent (i.e. is there a tour, meeting with dean, do you have to write a short essay)? Basically, I'd like to learn all I can about the process beforehand so I can have an idea of what to expect-bring on the tiny details!! Thank you in advance, I really love the page. :)

Once the school receives your application, they will send you an email saying they received it, and once reviewed, they will send a second email letting you know whether or not you are granted an interview. The second email will include a link where you can see what dates are available and schedule your interview (this was the case for me last year, and I assume it's the same this cycle). For me, the time between sending my application and receiving my interview invite was 3 days but it varies for everyone (should be no more than a week). As for the interview, it is extremely laid back. It starts in the morning with breakfast, followed with a tour of the school. You will meet with one of our Deans, along with many people from the Enrollment Office that will explain tuition, where to live, etc. Depending on the size of the group, they also will give you a tour of our Midtown Clinic. You'll have one interview with someone from the enrollment office and a professor. It'll last about 20-30 mins, and it's open file. The big questions are why podiatry, and why Kent. Otherwise it's just a conversation and them just getting to know you as person. Day ends with lunch and more information sessions.

Like I said, the day is really laid back, as they just want to get to know you as a person. Don't get nervous and you'll do great. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Reading this was a great help because i cant get over my nerves. My heart cant stop beating so fast and im not even interviewing yet, i really do hope i dont get there and let my nerves get the best of me. i truly hope i get in.

Reading this was a great help because i cant get over my nerves. My heart cant stop beating so fast and im not even interviewing yet, i really do hope i dont get there and let my nerves get the best of me. i truly hope i get in.

I'm glad I can help. I can say without a doubt there is no reason for you to get worked up over you interview. The school does a great job making you keeping you at ease before, and during your interview. One thing I forgot to mention, you will have current 1st/2nd year students who will be able to answer questions throughout the entire day, from breakfast all the way through lunch.

I wish you the best and good luck! If you don't mind me asking, when is your interview?

I'm glad I can help. I can say without a doubt there is no reason for you to get worked up over you interview. The school does a great job making you keeping you at ease before, and during your interview. One thing I forgot to mention, you will have current 1st/2nd year students who will be able to answer questions throughout the entire day, from breakfast all the way through lunch.

I wish you the best and good luck! If you don't mind me asking, when is your interview?[/q

I wish you the best and good luck! If you don't mind me asking, when is your interview?
Thank you, you guys at KSUCPM are truly nice i cant wait to be a part of the family. My interview is march 10.

I was just wondering, do they talk much about any bad grades you received in specific classes? I only ask because I received a D in one of my science courses--a number of factors including a new living situation and work-school balance are namely responsible for my poor performance--and I was just wondering if they grill you about those things? I understand why I did so poorly in the class and I've shown great improvement over the last year (I was put on the Honor Roll last term!), so I'm hoping they notice my increased efforts and that it helps to make up for my previous downfalls...

I would prepare as if they would ask you about it. Last thing you want is to be blindsided by something that can be easily explained, as you did above. If you have a good explanation for your grade, and noting your upward trend, you should be able to move the conversation forward preventing getting "grilled" over it.

Last edited:
Got invited for an interview at Kent today! Haven't scheduled the date yet, but hopefully before the month is out! So excited!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you so much for replying @Robert De Niro and @KSUCPM2015 , I know a lot of organizations would not have responded to something like that. After reading your comments and doing my own research, I realize now that I was misinformed. Not sure if that was intentional or not, I may have just misunderstood what I was being told. The fact that the affiliation aids in the Sports Pod side of things is what interests me the most, I was wondering if you could expand upon what exactly that entails and the benefits of it? Very excited either way to see if I am a fit for KSUCPM in the near future.

Again, thank you for responding and I apologize if I stepped on any toes or put out any misinformation, that was certainly not my intent!

Thank you so much for replying @Robert De Niro and @KSUCPM2015 , I know a lot of organizations would not have responded to something like that. After reading your comments and doing my own research, I realize now that I was misinformed. Not sure if that was intentional or not, I may have just misunderstood what I was being told. The fact that the affiliation aids in the Sports Pod side of things is what interests me the most, I was wondering if you could expand upon what exactly that entails and the benefits of it? Very excited either way to see if I am a fit for KSUCPM in the near future.

Again, thank you for responding and I apologize if I stepped on any toes or put out any misinformation, that was certainly not my intent!

Sorry for the late response, things are heating up with our second round of exams coming up.

As for the sports med rotation, I'll be honest with you and say I do not know all the details about it, as the agreement with Kent's ortho group was finalized this past Jan. What I do know is it's a rotation you can complete during your 3rd year of school. Once our exams are over, I'll have some more time to track someone down to get the fine details. Have you heard back about an interview?

No problem, obviously studies come first but we appreciate you doing this when you do find the time.

I have not, but I only today received the email stating that my application was received. My MCAT score was not listed on there however, so I might be calling admissions tomorrow to see what is up with that. Hope to get an interview soon though.

Had my interview on Monday and omg i felt like i was having a discussion with friends. Amazing interviewers and the friendliest staff ever, i felt so welcome. loved it. i wanted to ask about thank you notes, i want to write one but i dont want them to feel like i am sucking up. Thoughts?

If you want to write a thank you note, feel free to do so. It is usually customary to send one after any interview. With that said, the sending/not sending a thank you card holds no weight in the selection process. I sent a thank you email, but it was after I was already accepted.

I just had my interview today and it was absolutely amazing! I felt right at home! Thank you all for being so welcoming and kind! I really hope I can join you all at Kent this next year. Cross your fingers for me! And good luck with exams this week!

Awesome! My interview is going to be in 2 weeks it looks like, if airfare works out. Any tips outside of the ones already in the interview section?

Awesome! My interview is going to be in 2 weeks it looks like, if airfare works out. Any tips outside of the ones already in the interview section?

Be involved and interested through out the whole day: Ask questions during the tour(s) and whenever is obviously encouraged (both about the school and the area). Smile and engage with everyone, and keep in mind that is a LONG day and you feel tired and drain so be prepared to need a second-wind. I was able to go on a tour of the ankle clinic in Cleveland while I was there and got to talk with one of the admissions staff quite a bit during the ride over--they know a TON about the area so make sure you ask practical questions about living there as well about the program itself. They are amazing people, so try to reach out to them as so and not JUST as the admissions staff. They have a lot of info and great stories. Prepare for the interview, but keep in mind that they are just trying to get to know you more personally and are very kind. Good luck! :)

Had my interview on Monday and omg i felt like i was having a discussion with friends. Amazing interviewers and the friendliest staff ever, i felt so welcome. loved it. i wanted to ask about thank you notes, i want to write one but i dont want them to feel like i am sucking up. Thoughts?

The school does boast itself very well in terms of its appearance and everything upfront. I agree they make you feel very comfortable and welcome, but I must warn you that once you are in and taking classes, things will change. The school doesn't treat you really well and you will soon learn to hate this school. That's from my experience so far. They draw you in and then they let you suck it up with whatever they want to do.

The school does boast itself very well in terms of its appearance and everything upfront. I agree they make you feel very comfortable and welcome, but I must warn you that once you are in and taking classes, things will change. The school doesn't treat you really well and you will soon learn to hate this school. That's from my experience so far. They draw you in and then they let you suck it up with whatever they want to do.

That's interesting you think so. Would you like to elaborate on "hate this school" part? I've been here near two years, and I've yet to see anything resulting in making such a strong statement.

I would have to agree with SuperFeisty, I haven't experienced anything that would make me feel so strongly against KSUCPM.

I received my acceptance letter today! I'm so thankful and excited, words cannot convey! I can't wait to get to know all of you and travel with you on this amazing journey! See you guys in the fall!

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats Rosie!!!!!! I hope I'll be joining Kent this fall as well. Feel free to ask me anything:) I am from northeast Ohio.

i got in yesterday and i am overwhelmed i cant believe it!

Congrats guys. If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask me or anyone else on this thread. See you in the Fall!

LittleMopeHead, every school has it's quirks. I'm not sure has happened during your time at Kent, but I'm with De Niro and SuperFiesty. Don't regret coming here at all. Congrats to everyone and see you all in the Fall!

Quick question, I was planning on going to my interview day alone and have my Mom do whatever she wants in Cleveland for the day. But the when I got the interview FAQs for Kent, it said that they would welcome a plus one. I know she would love to go just as someone interested in my future, but I really do not want to seem like I'm still relying on my parents in any way. Any advice?

Quick question, I was planning on going to my interview day alone and have my Mom do whatever she wants in Cleveland for the day. But the when I got the interview FAQs for Kent, it said that they would welcome a plus one. I know she would love to go just as someone interested in my future, but I really do not want to seem like I'm still relying on my parents in any way. Any advice?

I don't think they will see it that way at all. It's a big day for you AND your parents, I think it's perfectly understandable if your parents want to accompany you.

During my interview at Kent and others, a saw a lot of parents with their kids.

Hell, I would have taken my parents with me if I had the chance.

I don't think they will see it that way at all. It's a big day for you AND your parents, I think it's perfectly understandable if your parents want to accompany you.

During my interview at Kent and others, a saw a lot of parents with their kids.

Hell, I would have taken my parents with me if I had the chance.

Awesome, thanks for the reply.

When I interviewed at Kent there was one person that had their dad at the interview. It didn't seem to be a big deal to anyone as he mostly was just in the background kind of like a shadow. So for the Kent interview I'm sure it will be fine as long as your mom doesn't do anything to make you look bad.

Paid my deposit today! What a rush! :heckyeah:

Hello everyone, i know this is a random question to post but i need advice. i have a 16 month old daughter and i am finding it hard to decide if i want to bring her to ohio can anyone tell me if it is doable to have a kid while in med school. my husband is out of the country so i will be doing all this myself. i dont want to focus so much on school and neglect her and vice versa i have worked so hard to get here. Also can someone tell me where to apply for medicaid, and child care assistance in ohio? any other pertinent information will be appreciated Thank you

Hello everyone, i know this is a random question to post but i need advice. i have a 16 month old daughter and i am finding it hard to decide if i want to bring her to ohio can anyone tell me if it is doable to have a kid while in med school. my husband is out of the country so i will be doing all this myself. i dont want to focus so much on school and neglect her and vice versa i have worked so hard to get here. Also can someone tell me where to apply for medicaid, and child care assistance in ohio? any other pertinent information will be appreciated Thank you

Ehh, that would be very hard to do by yourself. Not to say it is impossible, but I'm a single male with no responsibilities per se and it's no walk in the park. There are a few people with kids here, but they have their spouse with them, so that makes it more manageable. How far away would you be from your child? There are people who live close enough they go home every so often to visit family. If that's the case for you, you could leave her home and still visit without feeling like you totally abandoned her. I feel like if you brought her up here by yourself it would be almost impossible to do well. But take my opinion with a grain of salt because like I said I wouldn't know what it's like to have kids while I'm school. Maybe someone in that situation on here could give better advice.

How will you be going to class? Will you have a baby sitter or dropping her off in day-care 5 days a week? Honest question.

Honestly i know it will be hard, goodbye sleep but i know i can do it.I found a daycare that operates from 630am to 6pm. so basically she will be there all day and i just have to manage my time wisely.

Deadline is almost up and I am still torn between KentState and NYCPM. I loved the facilities and all the high-tech Kent has to offer. My dad even went to OCPM. NYCPM obviously seemed older and more traditional, but I loved the city and felt I fit right in. In your experience DeNiro, what are the pros of choosing Kent over NY ?

Deadline is almost up and I am still torn between KentState and NYCPM. I loved the facilities and all the high-tech Kent has to offer. My dad even went to OCPM. NYCPM obviously seemed older and more traditional, but I loved the city and felt I fit right in. In your experience DeNiro, what are the pros of choosing Kent over NY ?

Unfortunately I did not interview nor even visited NYCPM so I don't think I can give you an answer you are looking for. For me, I know I could not survive in such a large city, and being from Ohio, it was a no brainer that Kent was the better fit. But that was for ME. Others, like yourself, may share my feelings while some may have a different view.

At the end of the day, all the schools prepare you for boards and residency. The only real variable is how comfortable you are living in the area where the school is located. This is going to be where you are living for the next 4 years so it better be some place you like! I am excelling at Kent because I am in a location that I enjoy. Could I be performing as well if I were at NYCPM? Maybe, but living in NY is not something I want to do, so that would be an added obstacle I would have had to overcome, possibly getting in the way of my studies.

Like I said, I'm sorry I can't give you a more definitive response, but the only one who knows which school is best for you is you. I hope you choose Kent as I feel the school has a lot to offer their students (increased research opportunities, sports medicine within Div 1 program, dual degrees, etc.). But if you feel deep down that NYCPM is a better fit for you, than I wish you the best of luck and I'm sure you will do great!

Thank you very much for your advice. KSUCPM does have a lot to offer. Plus it's affiliated with a monster KentState. Will be making a decision this days.

In my opinion I think you would have a huge advantage choosing Kent over NY. If you say your dad went there maybe you can establish connections quicker which is important these days. also i feel the facilities at kent are much nicer than NY and the location of Kent will allow you to focus and be near the Cleveland area. Good luck making your decision.

I believe the application cycle for the Class of 2014 was the last time they did that, but don't quote me on it. Regardless, it is a practice that is no longer in use by the school.

What do Kent students normally do on their free time? Do you get to go out and have fun once or twice monthly? What interesting activities the area or cleveland offer?

Cleveland surprisingly has a lot to do downtown and in the surrounding areas. For starters, there are a handful of professional sport teams that play downtown (Indians, Browns, Cavs, Minor league hockey) which a lot of my classmates like to attend, myself included. And bc most of the teams aren't that great, tickets are pretty cheap lol. If you mean "fun" as in bar hopping and going to clubs, W 6th and W 25th streets both have plenty of options to choose from. One aspect that goes under the radar is Cleveland has one of the largest theater districts in the country, so traveling shows are always coming into town. If you like going to movies, there are movie theaters all over the place so you shouldn't have any trouble finding a movie time. Finally, the area is actually pretty diverse, which means there are cultural parades and festivals that pop-up throughout the year (Little Italy has a great Feast of the Assumption btw).

As for the frequency one "goes out," that's really up to you and the group of friends you hang out with. If you are diligent with your studies during the week, there's nothing really stopping you from going out whenever you like (the week of and before exams excluded of course lol). Like I said before, it just depends on you and how much you feel you need to study, as some need more time than others. Personally, I take about 2 weekends off (not 2 weeks!) right after exams. With all the studying we do, it's just nice to have a break every once in awhile just to recharge before I start preparing for the next round of exams. That seems to be the norm with my classmates, but like I said, everyone is different.

Sounds just great! This will be an good experience!