KYCOM clinical rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

redvelvet89

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got accepted to KYCOM..

I read that their clinical rotations are somewhat weak.. but the posting seemed to be from few years ago.

So I was wondering if there's anyone here (preferably current KYCOM student) who knows how KYCOM's clinical rotation are alike these days..

Thank you

Members don't see this ad.

I go to KYCOM and our head of rotations is a beast, he's a great doctor too and has some high level connections... We've added quite a few sites this year on top of the solid ones already established. Last week we had a rotation fair and good lord it's gonna be tough choosing cause they all seemed super cool.
Also the local hospital is part of the mayo clinic, our patient care prof is best buds with the step 2 PE organizer meaning our clinic rooms match the testing rooms down to the inches between the sanitizer and the soap, also our dean is the past pres of the AOA, and literally travels to chicago monthly to participate in the merger talks, our new building is state of the art (gross lab mimics surgical labs/ 4 to a body), and we have a plethora of impressive teachers that actually care and want you to learn (plus make medicine enjoyable by cracking jokes while they bombard you with info)... Our school has been here 17 years and we continue to pump out good docs, and match into fields were DOs normally don't venture. If you like it here, come. Cause I promise you if you're prepared to work hard it doesn't matter which DO school u go to, rock your pre clinical GPA, destroy step 1, and smile on rotations and you can be any doc you want. Good luck though with any choice you make!

This was from a current KYCOM student. @pmkyles hopefully can comment more.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What are your questions?? And congrats! When yah start?

I was wondering what their quality of clinical rotation.. (Would like to know if most of them teach students well) .. And since most of them seem to be in rural areas.. I wonder if students are able to get enough exposure...

Ps. I will be starting next fall :)

I don't want to step on anyones toes or bag a school, but I've heard some very bad things in regards to how well prepared the students are for rotations, and that they're perpetually behind. This was said to me by a certain program director at a casual event. I can't speak to the validity of it, but I've heard this exact same thing from two different people in two different regions of the country. Don't shoot the messenger.

I don't want to step on anyones toes or bag a school, but I've heard some very bad things in regards to how well prepared the students are for rotations, and that they're perpetually behind. This was said to me by a certain program director at a casual event. I can't speak to the validity of it, but I've heard this exact same thing from two different people in two different regions of the country. Don't shoot the messenger.

Mehd, no offense. But please comment about your own school. KYCOM takes a lot of crap on this board. Is the school perfect? No. But is any other school perfect.

As far as rotations, the sites are fine. There is a bit of disconnect because Dr Litman (Dean of clinical sciences) went to a different school. But it is what it is. I've met several residents that graduated from kycom and they are great doctors. I'm only in my 3rd year and I totally felt prepared for rotations and feel very comfortable doing things on my own.

Reactions: 1 users
Mehd, no offense. But please comment about your own school. KYCOM takes a lot of crap on this board. Is the school perfect? No. But is any other school perfect.

As far as rotations, the sites are fine. There is a bit of disconnect because Dr Litman (Dean of clinical sciences) went to a different school. But it is what it is. I've met several residents that graduated from kycom and they are great doctors. I'm only in my 3rd year and I totally felt prepared for rotations and feel very comfortable doing things on my own.

Thank you so much!

Just wondering.... Is there a specific rotation site that is better? Or preferred more by the students? And did you feel KYCOM's curriculum prepared you well for the boards?

Thank you :)

Most people choose sites based on location. honestly a lot of people prefer to move closer to home so I can't really comment on that. But, I love mine in Corinth, MS. There is an IM residency here and we learn a ton.

As far as prep, the school provides all of the necessary materials to be successful. Honestly how well YOU prepare yourself determines how you will score. We have a great faculty with its strengths and weaknesses. I felt weak in neuro but had very few questions on my boards. We have one of the best pharm teachers in the nation (which is pretty big on boards).

Honestly, you need to take a step back and enjoy your time until med school. You have a long way to go so enjoy your time now.

Most people choose sites based on location. honestly a lot of people prefer to move closer to home so I can't really comment on that. But, I love mine in Corinth, MS. There is an IM residency here and we learn a ton.

As far as prep, the school provides all of the necessary materials to be successful. Honestly how well YOU prepare yourself determines how you will score. We have a great faculty with its strengths and weaknesses. I felt weak in neuro but had very few questions on my boards. We have one of the best pharm teachers in the nation (which is pretty big on boards).

Honestly, you need to take a step back and enjoy your time until med school. You have a long way to go so enjoy your time now.

Everyone has been saying that I should enjoy my time.. So I am planning to do some travel .. But yeah.. Thank you so much for your comment!

Well, your reply was expected but I don't feel I was out of line sharing my experiences. Good luck on rotations.

Except you've had no experience personally with rotations as a KYCOM student...

Except you've had no experience personally with rotations as a KYCOM student...

Listen, I know that my post bugged you, and you have every right to be upset. Unfortunately kycom's clinical reputation is no secret here or in the real world. My school isn't exactly known for its renowned clinical rotations either. I wasn't trying to attack kycom, just share some of my experiences. I don't really have anything more to say on the matter, but if you'd like to discuss it further please PM me because we're derailing the thread.

Kycoms reputation has been built on here by opinions from people who didn't attend the school. Am I saying kycom is better than your school. No. I don't even know where you attend nor do I care.

But don't go around posting things based on "experience" that you don't have. Hearing from people and reading crap on here does not give you experience. The OP asked for current students (preferably) to comment on a school that he had been accepted to. I just don't understand why you felt/feel the need to bash or comment negatively on a school that you don't attend.

The End

But don't go around posting things based on "experience" that you don't have. Hearing from people and reading crap on here does not give you experience. The OP asked for current students (preferably) to comment on a school that he had been accepted to. I just don't understand why you felt/feel the need to bash or comment negatively on a school that you don't attend.

I legitimately don't think he was meaning to bash KYCOM. It was just another side of the coin that someone told him. Obviously yours holds more weight considering that you attend there and we all know that.

Let's all just breath and chill.

Reactions: 3 users
I chose KYCOM over PCOM and LECOM... I'm extremely happy thus far. Also my sister in law (who is a 4th year kycom) is extremely close to matching into an MD radiology program... So it basically comes down to how hard you work! As far as I'm concerned, last time I checked we have great rotation sites and a close connection to PMC which is one of the best hospitals in ky and part of the mayo family. Also we are adding more and it's possible to set up your own back home/ at certain hospitals outside the core group. So is it the best? Arguable, but for god sakes we've been here for 17 years pumping out all sorts of docs in all different fields and add sites every year increasing diversity... Move on to another school already, we've proved ourself enough!! Jeez

To the OP: I had the exact same questions and concerns before coming to kycom. Sdn scared the crud out of me with constant negativity. Kycom students would tell me "you get out of it what you put in to it", and all the same things they are telling you. I continued to let sdn stress me out.

They are right. You get out of it what you put in to it. I'm only in my first semester, so I obviously don't know how I will perform on boards, but I can say that I am being given the material needed to succeed. The rest is in my hands. All of the schools teach the same material, and it's up to you what you do with it. I bought the BRS (board review series) books, and go through them about a week before the exams to supplement my study materials. I can honestly say that I've had zero trouble answering the questions from those books just with studying the material I'm given here at kycom. To me, that's a good sign.

I will add to what the previous poster said, and say that a kid I went to college with graduated from kycom 2 years ago and is now in a dermatology residency. That should tell you that there are no limits to what you can do if you put the work in.

Lastly, negativity feeds more negativity. These forums totally stressed me out, and for no reason. Listen to what the students have to say, not random people who have never been here and are just hearing things through the grapevine.

To the OP: I had the exact same questions and concerns before coming to kycom. Sdn scared the crud out of me with constant negativity. Kycom students would tell me "you get out of it what you put in to it", and all the same things they are telling you. I continued to let sdn stress me out.

They are right. You get out of it what you put in to it. I'm only in my first semester, so I obviously don't know how I will perform on boards, but I can say that I am being given the material needed to succeed. The rest is in my hands. All of the schools teach the same material, and it's up to you what you do with it. I bought the BRS (board review series) books, and go through them about a week before the exams to supplement my study materials. I can honestly say that I've had zero trouble answering the questions from those books just with studying the material I'm given here at kycom. To me, that's a good sign.

I will add to what the previous poster said, and say that a kid I went to college with graduated from kycom 2 years ago and is now in a dermatology residency. That should tell you that there are no limits to what you can do if you put the work in.

Lastly, negativity feeds more negativity. These forums totally stressed me out, and for no reason. Listen to what the students have to say, not random people who have never been here and are just hearing things through the grapevine.

Thank you for your comment. I already decided to go to KYCOM next year but I was bit worried due to all the negativity on sdn. But I guess you are right.. The type of success and residency will depend on how I do.

Hi, I was just wondering about the core rotations at KYCOM, I know that it is done by "lottery" however is there a way to rank what rotation site that you want for 3rd year? i.e. if my family is in a different state and I'd like to rotate at a KYCOM affiliated core site in that state, could I rank that or is it done randomly?

Thank You!

The lottery is based on supply/demand. If there are 4 spots and only 4 people choose it as their number 1, then they get the spot. But if 4 spots and 8 people want it, then they draw chips and highest numbers get the spot.