Lab Techniques - Extraction Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesertSeaDiver

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

If anyone could correct/ confirm what I think is the wrong explanation for a lab techniques problem, I'd really appreciate it.

I've attached screen shots of the problem with the corresponding explanation that is completely non-sensical. My answer was the ester (B).

Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 12.51.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 12.51.17 AM.png
    58.2 KB · Views: 33
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 12.51.28 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 12.51.28 AM.png
    49 KB · Views: 43
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 12.51.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-14 at 12.51.45 AM.png
    27.3 KB · Views: 42
You got the answer right because the explanation says Choice "B" (amine) and Choice D (alkane) will not react in such manner, which they clearly mean Choice C and Choice D because Structure C is an amine and B is NOT an amine but an ester. Then, they say that Structure "C" doesn't make sense because it is the same as compound 2, which they probably meant Structure "A" instead. All is left is choice B now. I think they messed up the orders. Ester gets saponified by KOH to form carboxylic acid.

Thanks for the help. I figured that was right. I was only confused because I've mostly only focused on how phenols are extracted by strong acid and carboxylic acids are extracted by strong or weak acids. Last night when I was tired/unfocused, I was unsure if esters req'd a strong acid to form an anion and the answer/explanation really confused me. Looking over it again, and I realize it was pretty obvious they messed up the order / explanation. Thanks!