Labor Rights?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lamasacrerx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have been asking around this question for sometime now and no one has ever given me a straight answer.
Most of us that work for a big Chain like W or CVS are required to have at least 15 minutes break to have lunch during the 2 or 1 hour overlap. But....what about on days that we work 9 hours shift 9 to 6 or 12 hours shift 9 to 9??? Those days we don have overlap and we need to eat in between patients, verifications, consultations etc..
Those days we can't take a break, not even 30 minutes absolute break. While the techs are always getting 30 minutes out of the clock break, we the pharmacists don't get any. Is that legal?? Aren't they violating Labor Rights?
Please let me know

Members don't see this ad.

The answer is that it depends on your state. Many states, you would be considered "Exempt Salary." That means that even though you are paid on an hourly basis, they have set a minimum salary and thus you are exempt from the labor laws that govern hourly employees. You may also be considered "supervisory," which while usually applies to your inability to collectively bargain, it may also exempt you from many labor laws.

For the most part, if there isn't a Pharmacist union (or unionized pharmacists) in your state, you can bet one of the two above things applies and their isn't anyone to enforce required breaks and lunches.