Lack of Motivation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDee

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I took the 4/16 MCAT, and totally bombed it. I took a Kaplan course, been studying since October, took about 12 practice tests before the real thing (consistently scoring 28-32). However, I scored horribly on the 4/16. It might have been nerves, but I'm having a hard time motivating myself to study for the 6/15 retake. Anyone in the same boat?

Members don't see this ad.

I took the 4/16 MCAT, and totally bombed it. I took a Kaplan course, been studying since October, took about 12 practice tests before the real thing (consistently scoring 28-32). However, I scored horribly on the 4/16. It might have been nerves, but I'm having a hard time motivating myself to study for the 6/15 retake. Anyone in the same boat?

Not really, I'm more motivated than before. It kinda pissed me off that I did badly. :laugh: :laugh: Thank GOD i'm not burned out, since I'm not retaking til 8/9. However, I did take a month off while I was waiting on scores, so I kinda got refreshed I guess.

I know exactly what you are talking about, I took the 4/16 MCAT as well. I did horrible on my Verbal and iI dont even know what happed, I mean my physics and bio were both a point lower but Verbal was 4 points lower. I'm so demotivated because I did about 12 practice test as well. My plan is to study this whole summer, but right now I'm just burned out!!!!

I was thinking about getting some Kaplan book, do they really help? I took Princeton, so i dont know much about it.

I know exactly what you are talking about, I took the 4/16 MCAT as well. I did horrible on my Verbal and iI dont even know what happed, I mean my physics and bio were both a point lower but Verbal was 4 points lower. I'm so demotivated because I did about 12 practice test as well. My plan is to study this whole summer, but right now I'm just burned out!!!!

I was thinking about getting some Kaplan book, do they really help? I took Princeton, so i dont know much about it.
id go with ek because they give less detail but more focus on main areas the mcat covers. plus, you already pretty much know everything and ek serves as a refresher

Members don't see this ad :)
It's one more month out of your life, working toward a goal that will last you the rest of your life. If being a doctor is something you truly want to do, then you should have no problem finding the motivation.

deenuh, i understand where you're coming from when i think about the countless hours spent forcefeeding myself with passage after passage, only to miss my goal by a few points. though i am sort of dreading going through the process again, i have a feeling it should be better the second time around, and the nerves hopefully wont be as bad either. but personally, i dont want to start studying until after finals. good luck to everyone retaking.

to the OP, what do you think happened on the real test versus the practice? Was the real test much harder than the other tests you took? Was it nerves?

to the OP, what do you think happened on the real test versus the practice? Was the real test much harder than the other tests you took? Was it nerves?

I think it was nerves and psyching myself out. Going through my practice tests and studying, I felt confident and ready for test day. But when I got to the test center and started the exam, the thought of the possibility of scoring below my average range kept creeping into my mind, as well as how my gpa is average (hence I had to get a stellar MCAT to outshine it). I think this made me a bit anxious and unable to completely focus.

There's nothing I want more than to go to med school....so I'm studying for the retake, but just very disappointed with my performance last month.

Any ideas on how to remain composed on test day??

hey deenuh
just keep focused and confident. you've got your **** down and now its time to prove it to YOURSELF. i'm one to get really bogged down by low scores and self-esteem too but build that confidence by continuing to review. review EVERYTHING you are possibly unsure about by looking through old passages or FLs. rewrite notes or make flashcards or whatever study method works for you. the key is to boost your confidence so there's absolutely NO uncertainty on test day. its a big undertaking but it'll be truly satisfying when you're done.
good luck!