Laid off from work, which way to go...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DittoCopier

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I got laid off after a faithful tenure at a company and am currently on unemployment benefits.

I have intended to go to graduate school to try to spruce up my grades in order to apply for medical school. I have been out of school for some years, so I figured this was a good direction to take. The timing is unfortunate though.

The company that laid me off had nothing to do with medicine/science labs...Very different career.

Even if I go for a pay cut, would it pay back dividends to try to get a job at a research lab or a hospital?

I took my undergrad in biology and am currently single, so I will not be toting family along.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So, I got laid off after a faithful tenure at a company and am currently on unemployment benefits.

I have intended to go to graduate school to try to spruce up my grades in order to apply for medical school. I have been out of school for some years, so I figured this was a good direction to take. The timing is unfortunate though.

The company that laid me off had nothing to do with medicine/science labs...Very different career.

Even if I go for a pay cut, would it pay back dividends to try to get a job at a research lab or a hospital?

I took my undergrad in biology and am currently single, so I will not be toting family along.

Thanks!
Do you have any sort of clinical exposure?
Do you have any way of showing you understand what you are getting into?
Do you have any research output previously?
Do you have any community service background?

put yourself into the shoes of an adcom and walk through your candidacy. How would you show you are committed to this field if you take away intentions and just look at past actions?

If any of the questions above can be answered with clear experiences in the past you should be fine without it. If however you need to show committement to medicine I would find a job with direct patient care responsibilities. IMHO.

Do you have any sort of clinical exposure?
Do you have any way of showing you understand what you are getting into?
Do you have any research output previously?
Do you have any community service background?
put yourself into the shoes of an adcom and walk through your candidacy. How would you show you are committed to this field if you take away intentions and just look at past actions?
If any of the questions above can be answered with clear experiences in the past you should be fine without it. If however you need to show committement to medicine I would find a job with direct patient care responsibilities. IMHO.

Thanks!
Yes, I have done a short bout of shadowing and obtained a recommendation letter from the physician. I also currently do volunteering at a local supply center for homeless and low income families.

I have not done research. I went to a small state school, so it really wasn't available. I'm going to try to complete some during grad school and possibly some beforehand.

I appreciate your suggestion.

Members don't see this ad :)
Very sorry to hear of this. Any employment is always good, but clinical employment is good for these reasons:

Exposure to patients
Shadowing opportunities
Employment (but for money, and for demonstrating that you're reliable)

Thanks!

Graduate grades are not really considered in med school applications. More undergrad courses would be though. Just an FYI.

Reactions: 1 user
Graduate grades are not really considered in med school applications. More undergrad courses would be though. Just an FYI.
Second this. Adcoms wont care one bit, unless you fail a class in grad school.

Second this. Adcoms wont care one bit, unless you fail a class in grad school.

So, SMPs are useless? I read quite a few stories on here about success stories with SMPs. I have my B.Sci. in biology and a low 3 average with quite a lot of credits, so re-taking everything to even it out would be nearly impossible. I read elsewhere on here that SMP was the way to go in that circumstance. I'm not looking to get into Harvard, Duke or Georgetown for med school. Just generic vanilla MD or DO school is fine for me.

So, SMPs are useless? I read quite a few stories on here about success stories with SMPs. I have my B.Sci. in biology and a low 3 average with quite a lot of credits, so re-taking everything to even it out would be nearly impossible. I read elsewhere on here that SMP was the way to go in that circumstance. I'm not looking to get into Harvard, Duke or Georgetown for med school. Just generic vanilla MD or DO school is fine for me.

An SMP is a waste of time and money. Adding more debt is not an answer. I don't think going to med school was worth it for me (some of my old classmates feel the same), but it depends on what alternative there was as some of us gave up great careers. There are other jobs you can have with just a BS and still be involved in healthcare and not deal with the headaches as well as the sacrificed time, money, and energy to become an MD.

An SMP is a waste of time and money. Adding more debt is not an answer. I don't think going to med school was worth it for me (some of my old classmates feel the same), but it depends on what alternative there was as some of us gave up great careers. There are other jobs you can have with just a BS and still be involved in healthcare and not deal with the headaches as well as the sacrificed time, money, and energy to become an MD.

Thanks.
Is an undergrad post bacc better, or should I take a courseload to obtain a second B.Sci. in chemistry to try to remedy the grade issues?

SMP isn't the same as "doing graduate school." I thought you meant a science-based master's. As for post-bacc vs SMP, I definitely can't help you.

To address 49ers: consideration for me in the cost analysis was that medicine is more stable than other careers as long as you can be portable. I was laid off at one point while I was in the middle of my applications, and it made me consider that my former career's income had to be averaged with periods of unemployment (even if it was short!) and that I wanted to be more secure. As for medicine being a dream job... so far it's not there. It's pretty good, I like it, but I liked my other career too. But the overall security pushes medicine to the top for me, and I will choose my specialty accordingly.

SMP isn't the same as "doing graduate school." I thought you meant a science-based master's. As for post-bacc vs SMP, I definitely can't help you.

To address 49ers: consideration for me in the cost analysis was that medicine is more stable than other careers as long as you can be portable. I was laid off at one point while I was in the middle of my applications, and it made me consider that my former career's income had to be averaged with periods of unemployment (even if it was short!) and that I wanted to be more secure. As for medicine being a dream job... so far it's not there. It's pretty good, I like it, but I liked my other career too. But the overall security pushes medicine to the top for me, and I will choose my specialty accordingly.

Yep, sorry to have confused you. I only considered that you meant traditional masters after I pressed the reply button.

I was trying to look on the bright side and consider the fact that FAFSA would allow me better loans since I will obviously have a gap of time with lower income from U.B. Unfortunately they changed their form requirements from prior year taxes to "prior prior"(yes, that's what they term it) year taxes. So, essentially, I will be stating my full salary from when I was working.

Thanks.
Is an undergrad post bacc better, or should I take a courseload to obtain a second B.Sci. in chemistry to try to remedy the grade issues?

What I'm saying is that medical school isn't worth it if you have to take out more loans for more degrees and take classes to make your application better. If someone else is footing the bill and you have nothing else you want to do with your time, sure go ahead. Going into more debt and delaying getting a career that pays IMO is not a good idea and will make you unhappy when (if) done with it all.

If you insist on being a healthcare provider, I would recommend pathways that take less time and money such being an RN, NP, PA, or physical therapist. If you are dead set on becoming an MD and will not accept anything else and will apply to medical school every year until accepted, then do the shortest residency pathways (EM, IM, FM) to get done asap.

Members don't see this ad :)
What I'm saying is that medical school isn't worth it if you have to take out more loans for more degrees and take classes to make your application better. If someone else is footing the bill and you have nothing else you want to do with your time, sure go ahead. Going into more debt and delaying getting a career that pays IMO is not a good idea and will make you unhappy when (if) done with it all.

If you insist on being a healthcare provider, I would recommend pathways that take less time and money such being an RN, NP, PA, or physical therapist. If you are dead set on becoming an MD and will not accept anything else and will apply to medical school every year until accepted, then do the shortest residency pathways (EM, IM, FM) to get done asap.
I paid all my undergrad loans. I'm debt free at the moment. I also have skills that will get me a job that pays a decent salary. I'm not saying I'm not cautious about incurring more debt, but I have means to pay it and it isn't as though I'm piling high a lot of deferred loans. Even, at the very worst, if I bomb out of an SMP or post bacc/second bachelors, I still am able to pay for it, and it'll be an "experience". An expensive one, but, hey, who wants to go on cruises with their money when they can spend it going through pain and eating ramen?

I do understand what you're saying, and I appreciate your "dose of reality".

Repeat after me:

Undergrad science courses at extension schools and, if not available, community colleges or 2nd bachelors.

Most people should consider cost benefit in making the decision, and I rarely think it's advisable to do an expensive postbac...Older postbacs (myself included) are insane to take expensive programs. Do it cheap.

Thanks.

I was thinking the same. Would you suggest a large school that provides a lot of upper level courses other than the obvious re-takes, or would you say just stick to the basics?

I'm looking at somewhere in-state, where I don't have to burn up my savings. Hopefully I will have enough in loan availability to not need to tap my IRA.
If I have to take an associate's degree amount of science to rebound, I'll do it.

I paid all my undergrad loans. I'm debt free at the moment. I also have skills that will get me a job that pays a decent salary.

You should wait to make decisions until you hear from some of the ADCOMs on here. Do you prefer MD to DO? If DO will make you happy, go for grade replacement by repeating the classes you did poorly in at any state school. It's easier than adding an entire graduate degree. Go full time if you can - part time if you want to work while in school. You'll need to get some medical exposure though. A scribe job at a local Emergency Department is great if you have one available. Volunteering in the medical field would also work. But as another poster said, make it clinical, and make it with a physician or two who can write you stellar letters of recommendation.

Thanks!

Depending on your age, given that you are away from school for a few years, and that you may have to do pre-reqs, take MCAT, etc. it seems like a longggg road. You would also have to spruce up extracurriculars, etc. Might be a difficult road. I would consider other less stringent medical pathways - NP/PA type. Much easier and in the right setting you can do well.

It depends on what state you're in or want to be in - Harvard, UCB, UTx, UCD, UCLA, UCD, and I'm sure most high quality state schools do...its a decent way to increase building utilization and find work for professors/grad students you don't have a class for. If none of those work its really not a big deal to take the courses at a CC...its a non issue for many mid and low tiered school.

There are radical savings associated with extension schools. Harvard is the most expensive and is 1500 per course. I think UTx is 600 per course - that's 5-6k for a postbac, 12-18k at HES as opposed to Columbia's very jewish 130k. Is any adcom in the world going to weigh UTx or HES that differently from Columbia?

Some have grade deflation - Harvard is probably the most aggressive grade deflater and that kills a lot of otherwise competitive candidates.

Do not under any circumstances consider UNE or other online platforms, despite the fact that it is extremely tempting to do so. They are only accepted by a handful of schools, instructional quality is low, you can't get them to write for you, often the grading and testing assume widespread open book...I took 3 online and am retaking all of them because of the above. Additionally there are a handful of "bad apple" courses like UNE's biochemistry that combine poor instruction, weak access to instructors for questions, and very harsh grade deflation.

You have't heard of the Gentleman's C at Ivies, huh?

Retake classes you got C's or lower in and apply to DO school. Definitely don't settle short like 49ers is recommending if thats what you really want. Whats your cgpa and sgpa at right now? Do this part time and also get a medical related job so you get clinical exposure and some money. SMP's are risky due to the fact that if you do not ace them 3.6+ you have no chance at MD or DO schools and on top of this even doing well in one does not guarantee you a spot.

You should wait to make decisions until you hear from some of the ADCOMs on here. Do you prefer MD to DO? If DO will make you happy, go for grade replacement by repeating the classes you did poorly in at any state school. It's easier than adding an entire graduate degree. Go full time if you can - part time if you want to work while in school. You'll need to get some medical exposure though. A scribe job at a local Emergency Department is great if you have one available. Volunteering in the medical field would also work. But as another poster said, make it clinical, and make it with a physician or two who can write you stellar letters of recommendation.
Thanks!
Honestly, to me, both DO and MD are about the same. Yeah, MD has the prestige of everyone knowing you're a "doctor", but most people know about DOs.
I may do what you said. Maybe I can do the "second bachelors" option so I can secure a loan and re-take everything I needed plus a couple upper levels. If it takes a year or so, that would be ok. The biggest problem I have where I am right now, is having to apply over an hour away and pick up and move there. There really are no schools or research-type hospitals nearby.

Depending on your age, given that you are away from school for a few years, and that you may have to do pre-reqs, take MCAT, etc. it seems like a longggg road. You would also have to spruce up extracurriculars, etc. Might be a difficult road. I would consider other less stringent medical pathways - NP/PA type. Much easier and in the right setting you can do well.

Thanks for the tip! I am certainly considering all the options.

It depends on what state you're in or want to be in - Harvard, UCB, UTx, UCD, UCLA, UCD, and I'm sure most high quality state schools do...its a decent way to increase building utilization and find work for professors/grad students you don't have a class for. If none of those work its really not a big deal to take the courses at a CC...its a non issue for many mid and low tiered school.
Do not under any circumstances consider UNE or other online platforms, despite the fact that it is extremely tempting to do so...

I'm PA resident right now, so I am trying to avoid crossing state lines if I can. I'm looking at possibly doing the "second bachelors" at Pittsburgh, because living in Philly is incredibly costly.

I looked at UNE when I first started looking at online post-bac work (I re-took a couple classes this spring). Thanks very much for that! I don't mind online post-bac for while I was working FT, but if I had a choice, I think I much prefer traditional classes. I can ask questions of the professor better, gauge some of the "unspoken" things better than a recording, ask peers questions, and, because I'm on campus, get an idea of how difficult a prof is...Some professors are terrible at anything technological. Awful. I had a bad experience before...and I will have to retake that bad experience. This time, it will be elsewhere, and a hopefully with a professor who knows how to use the program they will be using to teach.

Retake classes you got C's or lower in and apply to DO school. Definitely don't settle short like 49ers is recommending if thats what you really want. Whats your cgpa and sgpa at right now? Do this part time and also get a medical related job so you get clinical exposure and some money. SMP's are risky due to the fact that if you do not ace them 3.6+ you have no chance at MD or DO schools and on top of this even doing well in one does not guarantee you a spot.

Thanks!
My uGPA is 3.20, with a sGPA of 2.93. I was plagued with migraines due to an allergy I didn't know I had when doing undergrad, but once I figured out that I can't eat Ramen and Chef Boyardee (soy allergy), my grades did an upward trend. I took a couple courses this spring (ColoradoSU biochemistry) and re-took Chem 101 both with As. Those did bring my grade up a bit. I have a lot of credits, though, so DO school may end up being the ticket.

Yeah, I was looking at SMPs and the more I looked at them, the more I started to get nervous. It looks like an "eggs in one basket" type of thing. Yes, I probably can take upper level courses, but being as rusty as I am at the basics, well, that's a definite gamble.

Settle short? You can be a clinician without having to go to medical school. It's called being a NP or PA and a lot of the time you get more patient interaction than being a physician. I wanted to (and am) doing radiology so that wasn't an alternative pathway for me. I've seen MANY applicants on this website over the last decade go back to build up grades they didn't do well on the first time and apply several times to medical school. Some eventually get into a low tier medical school and others don't and find something else.

Medical schools have many applicants that didn't have issues the first time with their grades or have to go back and build their application to become competitive. I don't get why the people on this website are so dead-set on becoming a physician and applying to medical school when they can do a similar thing by being a PA or NP. If you want to spend more time in school and delaying when you'll be a practitioner and build more debt, then go right ahead and keep applying for medical school.

OP, why medical school and not NP or PA?

I'm PA resident right now, so I am trying to avoid crossing state lines if I can. I'm looking at possibly doing the "second bachelors" at Pittsburgh, because living in Philly is incredibly costly.

If you're a PA resident, you may want to consider WVU. PA schools are incredibly expensive.

Medical schools have many applicants that didn't have issues the first time with their grades or have to go back and build their application to become competitive. I don't get why the people on this website are so dead-set on becoming a physician and applying to medical school when they can do a similar thing by being a PA or NP. If you want to spend more time in school and delaying when you'll be a practitioner and build more debt, then go right ahead and keep applying for medical school.

Some people will always regret being a NP or PA and not going with medical school, which is what they really want - to be the best medical provider they can be.

Settle short?

Well, I suppose you could say my reasoning for going DO or MD first is not having to practice under someone else's license. Yes, as an NP and PA I still would have the mobility. I still would be able to work a good job in healthcare. In the end, I want to have the ability to be my own boss. If I want to start my own practice, I can just save up the money, quit where I'm at and do so. PAs and NPs can't do that. They have to go where someone else already started. I guess it's the entrepreneurial spirit in me. Yes, I will still keep it in mind if nothing works out otherwise, but I still want to shoot for the top.

If you're a PA resident, you may want to consider WVU. PA schools are incredibly expensive.

Yes, I have actually looked at WVU. Their cost isn't too bad for out of state. You'd be right saying PA schools are expensive. I went to a smaller state school, but almost anything above CC and small state schools is grad school pricing for bachelors.

Some people will always regret being a NP or PA and not going with medical school, which is what they really want - to be the best medical provider they can be.

Agreed.

Settle short? You can be a clinician without having to go to medical school. It's called being a NP or PA and a lot of the time you get more patient interaction than being a physician. I wanted to (and am) doing radiology so that wasn't an alternative pathway for me. I've seen MANY applicants on this website over the last decade go back to build up grades they didn't do well on the first time and apply several times to medical school. Some eventually get into a low tier medical school and others don't and find something else.

I agree. Particularly if you are older. Re-taking classes does not change the original grade. It's a long long road, it becomes exhausting and at times not necessary. Being a PA is probably one of the best possible routes individuals can take these days, as it's short, not that competitive, you can move around different fields without having to re-train, and you can make a great chunk of change. It does not have the never ending requirements that medicine has. Med school has become brutally competitive, with tens of thousands of people applying, and many applicants have not had issues with grades, etc. Having to re-take courses again won't change hte original grade. Studying for the MCAT in your late 20's is not going to be fun. Starting med school in your 30's wont be fun.

I'm not saying becoming a PA or NP isn't a great field to go into because it is. The fact of the matter is if you want to become a doctor you would be settling short by becoming a NP or PA. The same way in getting a bachelors in accounting is settling short if you really wanted to get a masters. Sure they do pretty much the same thing ones just more educated and gets paid more, and in a lot of fields gets to do a lot of the cooler things.

The reason people go back to school and raise their gpa is to chase their dreams so even if they don't eventually get accepted they can at least live knowing they tried, and gave it everything they have. If being a doctor is your dream anything less than that is settling short without giving it a chance. Sure you may be happy with never chasing your dreams and becoming a PA or NP, but that doesn't mean you should come on here and tell other people they're wasting their time chasing after theirs.

I agree. Particularly if you are older. Studying for the MCAT in your late 20's is not going to be fun. Starting med school in your 30's wont be fun.

This is going to sound odd, but what job that you have ever had was fun 100% of the time? That's what makes work, work.

Studying for school with a nearly constant migraine when I took my bachelor's wasn't fun, but neither was shoving 3 layers of clothing on and working outside in the frigid cold on night shift all winter. Neither was having to deal with students and their parents who didn't seem to care whether they learned or behaved in my class. Neither was driving a forklift (yes, I can drive one) in and out of truck trailers that are sometimes 120 degrees F inside in the sweltering summer heat. Neither was trying to calculate finances and scrape things together to make the profits work for a company.

I understand what you're saying, but every job has its positives and negatives. It really is a "pick your poison" situation. Well, my poison is pursuit of this. If that doesn't work, well, I have everything from teaching to finance to management to driving a forklift(why not?) to fall back on. Not that I have to persuade anyone, but I don't exactly have all my eggs in one basket.

but that doesn't mean you should come on here and tell other people they're wasting their time chasing after theirs.

I listened to my dad when I got out of college. He told me I'd never get anywhere going to med school. Now I regret it.
I really do appreciate the support.
I used to be kind of timid and shy, but after working in a company where I was around men almost 100% of the time, you have to grow a spine, or you don't succeed.
I'm not one to take someone's opinion to heart. Certainly not from someone I don't know. I'm just testing the waters.
Thank you.

Also your GPA takes MD off table. Sorry. DO is still fine and when you retake the grades replace - much, much easier to get to competitive ranges.

Nah, I figured as such. I really don't care either way. I honestly don't know what the snobbery is between the two. Pot(ay)to, pot(ah)to. Either way, it's just something to aim for after I go through the motions again. Thanks.

Unless you are independently wealthy, you should NEVER self-fund graduate school. You can google this and get an endless number of results telling you the exact same thing.
You need undergraduate classes for medical school, not graduate classes.

If you're still in your 20s and single, go back to college full-time. Enjoy it while it lasts.
Anything else, get a full-time job and go to the community college at night.

This is going to sound odd, but what job that you have ever had was fun 100% of the time? That's what makes work, work.

Studying for school with a nearly constant migraine when I took my bachelor's wasn't fun, but neither was shoving 3 layers of clothing on and working outside in the frigid cold on night shift all winter. Neither was having to deal with students and their parents who didn't seem to care whether they learned or behaved in my class. Neither was driving a forklift (yes, I can drive one) in and out of truck trailers that are sometimes 120 degrees F inside in the sweltering summer heat. Neither was trying to calculate finances and scrape things together to make the profits work for a company.

I understand what you're saying, but every job has its positives and negatives. It really is a "pick your poison" situation. Well, my poison is pursuit of this. If that doesn't work, well, I have everything from teaching to finance to management to driving a forklift(why not?) to fall back on. Not that I have to persuade anyone, but I don't exactly have all my eggs in one basket.

I listened to my dad when I got out of college. He told me I'd never get anywhere going to med school. Now I regret it.
I really do appreciate the support.
I used to be kind of timid and shy, but after working in a company where I was around men almost 100% of the time, you have to grow a spine, or you don't succeed.
I'm not one to take someone's opinion to heart. Certainly not from someone I don't know. I'm just testing the waters.
Thank you.

Nah, I figured as such. I really don't care either way. I honestly don't know what the snobbery is between the two. Pot(ay)to, pot(ah)to. Either way, it's just something to aim for after I go through the motions again. Thanks.

I'm just giving you some advice which I think is sound. It's entirely up to you whether you want to take it or throw it in the trash. I just think that if you have to retake a bunch of classes for a higher GPA, when most people don't have that issue, and having a not great gpa, in addition to having to take pre reqs, do mcat, send apps, etc. will make it a very long and painful road for you.
It's entirely up to you if you go ahead with it or not. I know that a lot of people who are older put in a lot of work for a not so great outcome. If I were you I'd be a PA or np.

Being a PA is like being a resident forever. There is not a right or a wrong answer to this question as both are fine careers, its just the limitations of those choices need to be presented in a clear manner. States differ on the way they treat NPs and PAs in terms of autonomy and prescribing ability. Also NPs regardless of what they say do not have the rigorous scientific training that physicans do. But besides that Both are great options if you want to be a healthcare provider, just with some caveats.

There are radical savings associated with extension schools. Harvard is the most expensive and is 1500 per course. I think UTx is 600 per course - that's 5-6k for a postbac, 12-18k at HES as opposed to Columbia's very jewish 130k. Is any adcom in the world going to weigh UTx or HES that differently from Columbia?

Some have grade deflation - Harvard is probably the most aggressive grade deflater and that kills a lot of otherwise competitive candidates.

Do not under any circumstances consider UNE or other online platforms, despite the fact that it is extremely tempting to do so. They are only accepted by a handful of schools, instructional quality is low, you can't get them to write for you, often the grading and testing assume widespread open book...I took 3 online and am retaking all of them because of the above. Additionally there are a handful of "bad apple" courses like UNE's biochemistry that combine poor instruction, weak access to instructors for questions, and very harsh grade deflation.

Can you clarify on what you mean by "Columbia's very jewish 130k" @Miami_Postbac ?

This is not the first time I've seen you use offensive, racist language, no matter the ethnicity or race, but now you're just floating it out there like it's no big deal. I see you have lots of advice on the postbac process, which is fine, but here's some advice if you're actually going to be a doctor -- figure out how to not be anti-semetic or racist. Because ultimately before being a good doctor, it really helps to be a good person.

Reactions: 1 users
Every single member of the Columbia postbac team - except for physics - is Jewish. The adcom is jewish, the advisors are jewish, the lecturers are jewish, and moshkowitcz (who I believe is faculty) is also Jewish. Its like saying "Mormon BYU".

Columbia is also insanely - insanely - overpriced.

WRT name calling, fine, I'm racist and antisemitic for pointing that out.

Except you called it Jewish because it costs 130K, not because its faculty is mostly Jewish.

Reactions: 1 users