Lake Eerie - Bradenton (LECOM - Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeah, but honestly if you have an interview this early in the cycle you are good, you ARE going to get in to ATLEAST 1 school. I'm rooting for you!

Sure hope so. Thanks for the well-wishes. Good luck to you too!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
To current students

Could any of you elaborate on the PBL cases. Do students just go through books and fill up on info, hoping to cover all loose ends? Is there a list of topics that need to be covered before each class? Just how much guidance is provided by instructors?

Sorry if all of this has been asked before.

And thank you.

Barely any guidance. You do have a few assigned PBL readings for introductory chapters, but most of your readings are picked by your group. If your group didn't assign a chapter every other group did, you will get a nasty-gram from one of the professors telling you to assign it lol. Some groups will assign more or less chapters than others. Most groups assign chapters by majority (so if at least 5/8 group members votes yes for a chapter, it will be assigned for the exam). If you are in a group that is very reluctant to assign chapters, you will need to put in extra work to cover everything you need to know for boards.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Barely any guidance. You do have a few assigned PBL readings for introductory chapters, but most of your readings are picked by your group. If your group didn't assign a chapter every other group did, you will get a nasty-gram from one of the professors telling you to assign it lol. Some groups will assign more or less chapters than others. Most groups assign chapters by majority (so if at least 5/8 group members votes yes for a chapter, it will be assigned for the exam). If you are in a group that is very reluctant to assign chapters, you will need to put in extra work to cover everything you need to know for boards.

Thanks for the info

Interviewed here Recently. The group interview had I think three questions total with six people interviewing to see how you would fare under a PBL setting. Ten minute one-on-one interview after. I felt better about my individual interview, though that was the general consensus. Everyone was friendly and this was a very relaxed setting....one older professor giving an info session did say "We don't care about your personal life or your weaknesses or your problems, we care about your success. If you suck at something figure out a way around it and don't flaunt your bad points." Most honest thing I've heard through this entire process.

Reactions: 1 users
Does anybody know when the interview will end? I need to be back home that night, and I'm trying to figure out if I will have time to drive from Bradenton, back to Tampa, and catch a 5:21pm flight. I'd also have to drop off a rental car during this time.

Thanks!

Does anybody know when the interview will end? I need to be back home that night, and I'm trying to figure out if I will have time to drive from Bradenton, back to Tampa, and catch a 5:21pm flight. I'd also have to drop off a rental car during this time.

Thanks!

I want to say the interview ended at 3? And it's an hour drive into Tampa plus that's starting to get into rush hour. I'd say 6 at the earliest.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

II yesterday. Its my first one! Complete 8/13

Reactions: 2 users
They are very proud of their board scores. Definitely seems like a great program for more independent students.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

LECOM sent me an email this morning basically rejecting me and suggesting I do their SMP to improve my science grades even though I've done a post-bac and my cGPA, sGPA, and MCAT are all higher (6 points higher in the case of the MCAT) than their averages? I don't understand, but oh well.

Last edited by a moderator:
LECOM sent me an email this morning basically rejecting me and suggesting I do their SMP to improve my science grades even though I've done a post-bac and my cGPA, sGPA, and MCAT are all higher (6 points higher in the case of the MCAT) than their averages? I don't understand, but oh well.

+1

This is the second time they sent me this e-mail after having sent it to me a month ago. My sGPA and MCAT is well above their averages and I'm a FL resident so I don't really understand either but oh well there must be something in my app they don't like.

Members don't see this ad :)
+1

This is the second time they sent me this e-mail after having sent it to me a month ago. My sGPA and MCAT is well above their averages and I'm a FL resident so I don't really understand either but oh well there must be something in my app they don't like.

When I was there they said if you're above a certain gpa/MCAT threshold that they consider high enough to likely succeed in medical school they don't care about stats anymore and focus on other parts of your app.

so i should have done worse on my mcat i guess and had more than three internships at prestigious universities.

With your stats you'll surely gain plenty of interviews. Don't sweat it. Give them a call if you want to know what happened.

so i should have done worse on my mcat i guess and had more than three internships at prestigious universities.
I got totally shut out from schools (MD/DO) last year with the same GPA and a higher MCAT. There was a particular deficit in my application that I addressed, and now I have 2 DO and 1 MD II (hoping for more). Stats are part of it, but in no way guarantee interviews or admission. Additiknally, particular schools will have their particular preferences. The application process (and beyond) definitely requires confidence, but saying that you deserve something because you have two stats above a given average is an overreach. You should get invites, but if you don't... it's only on you to self assess what you can improve upon.

Good luck!

Anyone else get the "Please join our SMP program to help with your science requirements" email? :(

Have we concluded that having the "admissions committee has made a decision on your file, we will notify you within 30 days" status indicates a rejection? Just noticed it today. I'm IS and my stats are above their average, so this is disappointing.

Have we concluded that having the "admissions committee has made a decision on your file, we will notify you within 30 days" status indicates a rejection? Just noticed it today. I'm IS and my stats are above their average, so this is disappointing.

yup

Hey guys! I have lurked here for a while but decided to finally sign up. I also got my II today!

Reactions: 2 users
Congratulations guys!! Can everyone that is getting II's give completion dates?

Hey guys so I finished my secondary late in July and it says my application is still under review, should I contact them and see what's up? or has someone had to wait a while before they got notice?

Hey guys so I finished my secondary late in July and it says my application is still under review, should I contact them and see what's up? or has someone had to wait a while before they got notice?

Unless they decide to reject you pre-interview, I think everyone remains "under review" until they decide to give you an interview. I was complete around the end of July and my portal says the same thing.

Been stalking for a while, but finally made an account! II earlier this week!

Hey guys, how long did it take to get the secondary from here after being verified/designating them/paying the primary fee?
I think after my app was verified it took me 3 days to get a secondary

If you are an above average applicant, I think it's reasonable to call at this point to check your status and bring some attention to your application. NSU forgot about me and I got an interview immediately after contacting them lol...so it happens.

If you are an above average applicant, I think it's reasonable to call at this point to check your status and bring some attention to your application. NSU forgot about me and I got an interview immediately after contacting them lol...so it happens.

What happened at NSU? I've been under review for over a month and am not sure what's going on..

Speaking of NSU, do they accept application updates on what you're doing this current cycle? I emailed them about it, but they never responded..

Thanks I think I am considered a good applicant for their school; I just didn't want to seem pushy either. Do you know the best way to reach out to LECOM? Does anyone have a number or email address?

Has anyone who got the " The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your file. We will notify you in 30 days." status actually gotten a physical rejection yet and/or heard anything? My stats are 90th percentile MCAT and 3.7 GPA so I'm a little bit freaking out

Has anyone who got the " The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your file. We will notify you in 30 days." status actually gotten a physical rejection yet and/or heard anything? My stats are 90th percentile MCAT and 3.7 GPA so I'm a little bit freaking out

I got that and they invited me to do their SMP through email (haven't gotten a letter in the mail yet). Seems like they're pretty picky

I got that and they invited me to do their SMP through email (haven't gotten a letter in the mail yet). Seems like they're pretty picky
Sorry SMP? And have you had any luck anywhere else, this was the school that I had the highest stats for compared to their averages so I'm seriously having a melt down because it's the first thing I have heard this cycle

Sorry SMP? And have you had any luck anywhere else, this was the school that I had the highest stats for compared to their averages so I'm seriously having a melt down because it's the first thing I have heard this cycle

Their Master's program- so it's basically a polite rejection... I've had 3 interviews (one at LECOM Seton Hill) and 1 acceptance so far with very average stats. I applied broadly only to DO schools.

Other people with high stats have been getting rejected here too, hence why I said they're picky

I'm sorry to hear that guys. When did you guys (@ritts & @cjones49 ) complete your secondary?

I'm just trying to establish a timeline for myself. Also @ritts your stats seem awesome! I'm sure you'll get in somewhere else anyways :)

I'm sorry to hear that guys. When did you guys (@ritts & @cjones49 ) complete your secondary?

I'm just trying to establish a timeline for myself. Also @ritts your stats seem awesome! I'm sure you'll get in somewhere else anyways :)

No worries, I was complete 6/23.

I think you mean @cjones49 stats. I second that.

@ritts thanks haha thats why this freaked me out so much I'm hoping its just a fluke or something the school gets wary of when stats are significantly higher than their average. I submitted my secondary 8/22

Anyone else pick Oct 1st as their date to be notified of the decision?? We find out soon!!