Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM-Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those that have been accepted, would you mind sharing some of your extracurricular/volunteering experiences?

Thanks.

Hey! I interviewed on 10.4 and was accepted. I have ~20hrs shadowing experience, a mix of MD and DO shadowing. I have a TON of research hours. Something in the neighborhood of ~800hrs. I am president of our campus Wildlife Club. I am also a member of a professional chemistry fraternity and was our Academic Committee Chair for a year. Also I was an RA for two years, and that gave me a lot of leadership experience. Oh! And I have ~40hrs volunteering at a local hospital. Good luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey! I interviewed on 10.4 and was accepted. I have ~20hrs shadowing experience, a mix of MD and DO shadowing. I have a TON of research hours. Something in the neighborhood of ~800hrs. I am president of our campus Wildlife Club. I am also a member of a professional chemistry fraternity and was our Academic Committee Chair for a year. Also I was an RA for two years, and that gave me a lot of leadership experience. Oh! And I have ~40hrs volunteering at a local hospital. Good luck!

Awesome. Congrats on getting accepted. Thanks for the reply.

II today. Need to figure out how I am going to pay for this trip, haha.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I had over 100 hours of both hospital volunteering and shadowing. I shadowed a variety of specialties and both MD and DO. I was treasurer of my universities Pre Soma club and also had around 50 hours of research.

I had over 100 hours of both hospital volunteering and shadowing. I shadowed a variety of specialties and both MD and DO. I was treasurer of my universities Pre Soma club and also had around 50 hours of research.

Cool. Thanks for the reply and Congratulations!

For those that have been accepted, would you mind sharing some of your extracurricular/volunteering experiences?

Thanks.

I played on the varsity baseball team for three years (not fourth because I tore my rotator cuff), had about 75 hours shadowing various MDs/DOs through a school-run shadowing program, and a member of various clubs. I have a gap year as I graduated this past Spring and in my year off I am becoming EMT certified, volunteering 4-5 hours/week at an ER, and working part-time.

Any advice on "rocking the interview?" I'm afraid that in the group I won't have an original answer or be as well spoken as the others.. Do you think the group interview setup is better than individual interview?

I personally think I handled the group interview better, although I could have just been more seasoned since it was my second interview. I, unlike most other people, liked the group interview setting. For me it took some of the one-on-one pressure off the interview. You didn't have to worry about an awkward silence while formulating an answer, you could just let someone else talk first. Maybe I just had a good group of applicants, good interviewers, or both, but I feel as though my group interview went really well. Especially when you put it in the big picture of PBL, a group interview makes sense for LECOM-B. And you don't need an "original" answer for every question, a few of my responses were agreeing with other interviewees said before me and expanding upon their points. Of course this depends on what questions you get asked and the group of kids you're with, but overall I had a really good experience.

I just got an II today. Is anyone else interviewing Feb 3rd? It's so late I feel that I'm interviewing for the wait list lol.

What is your opinion on emailing Mrs. Shively about becoming a stronger applicant. I know that she said that we can send in a letter of intent and another letter of recommendation, but is it frowned upon to email her again a few months after the interview. I had interviewed on October 3rd, and was placed on the alternate list the following week. After finding out I was on the wait list, I sent in a letter of intent and a second letter.

I just received an ii as well. When are you interviewing? I picked 1/31.. I wasn't thrilled. Wish I could have grabbed a December spot!

I just joined sdn, I'm interviewing on 1/31 as well! See you there. This is gonna be a stressful waiting game haha.

I had my interview here yesterday. Luckily my group was really laid back and the questions asked were the typical ones asked in an interview. There was a great flow and we helped each other make our points stronger.

I spoke to another group afterwards and they had to do some weird tasks.

I really think they focus more on how you're able to collaborate and work in a group. As long as your answers are insightful you should be OK.

The campus is beautiful and the area isn't bad at all. If anyone has general questions I'd be happy to answer if I can. Waiting on my flight back now.

What is your opinion on emailing Mrs. Shively about becoming a stronger applicant. I know that she said that we can send in a letter of intent and another letter of recommendation, but is it frowned upon to email her again a few months after the interview. I had interviewed on October 3rd, and was placed on the alternate list the following week. After finding out I was on the wait list, I sent in a letter of intent and a second letter.

I think you'll be fine as long as you have new things to add since the last letter and not just reiterate what you said last time.

Has anyone else received an email stating "The Admissions Committee has reviewed your file and a decision has not yet been made regarding an interview. The Admissions Committee will meet to review your application every 90 days; you will be notified if there is a change in their decision at that time.?"

I also received this email yesterday. Kind of confused about the "every 90 days" part?

from what I have been reading in this thread LECOM has become very competitive. I was planning to send in my primary this coming week, but I am getting to the conclusion that it is not a good idea.

Members don't see this ad :)
from what I have been reading in this thread LECOM has become very competitive. I was planning to send in my primary this coming week, but I am getting to the conclusion that it is not a good idea.

When I interviewed I was told their average admitted MCAT was a 30, that was in mid-October. Although I got accepted with lower stats, I'd say go for it if you really like LECOM, it's a great opportunity.

When I interviewed I was told their average admitted MCAT was a 30, that was in mid-October. Although I got accepted with lower stats, I'd say go for it if you really like LECOM, it's a great opportunity.

do you know how heavily they prescreen? I have a 6 in Verbal, 8 in the other two sections

do you know how heavily they prescreen? I have a 6 in Verbal, 8 in the other two sections

LECOM Supplemental Application

LECOM requires all applicants to submit a LECOM Supplemental Application. Once LECOM receives the AACOMAS application, qualified applicants will receive an e-mail message providing information and instructions regarding how to complete the Supplemental Application.

- See more at: http://lecom.edu/apply-to-lecom.php...ocedure/49/2205/618/2682#sthash.sbWaSdWs.dpuf

Sorry I don't know what the screening is like.

:depressed:
LECOM Supplemental Application

LECOM requires all applicants to submit a LECOM Supplemental Application. Once LECOM receives the AACOMAS application, qualified applicants will receive an e-mail message providing information and instructions regarding how to complete the Supplemental Application.

- See more at: http://lecom.edu/apply-to-lecom.php...ocedure/49/2205/618/2682#sthash.sbWaSdWs.dpuf

Sorry I don't know what the screening is like.
thanks for the reply.. im just wondering if i should give it a shot and send in my primary this week with my 6 in verbal

Yes, i am URM. my Gpa is alright, but my 22 mcat is low. I guess I will sleep on it tonight and decide if i send my primary to both LECOMs tomorrow.

Thanks.

I have about 400 hours of volunteering, a year of shadowing an MD and a DO, and almost two years of research, and some other involvement in community based organizations.

Any advice on "rocking the interview?" I'm afraid that in the group I won't have an original answer or be as well spoken as the others.. Do you think the group interview setup is better than individual interview?

I was worried about my interview as I am more on the shy side. There were a few awkward silences as everyone tried to figure out who should answer first, but everyone had a chance to participate. I was afraid I did not speak enough, but things worked out well anyway, so I would not stress too much about it. It was pretty relaxed.

I have about 400 hours of volunteering, a year of shadowing an MD and a DO, and almost two years of research, and some other involvement in community based organizations.

Cool. Thanks for the reply. Congratulations.

If I had to guess I would say the matriculant average will be a little lower.

If I had to guess I would say the matriculant average will be a little lower.

Yeah I figured as much also I just thought I'd throw that out there as it's the only real gauge to competitiveness at the moment.

Will the portal say if you're accepted?

Currently it says "Your file is in under review by the Admissions Committee post interview. You will be notified by mail of the decision by the Admissions Committee."

Will the portal say if you're accepted?

Currently it says "Your file is in under review by the Admissions Committee post interview. You will be notified by mail of the decision by the Admissions Committee."

No. After that status it will change to "A decision has been made on your file. You will be notified by mail within 30 days." Most people just call and get the decision over the phone at this point rather than wait for the letter though.

Guys I need help. For anyone that got accepted did you guys have to send back any information ? Anything saying that you accept their acceptance ?
When I got my acceptance letter in the mail it said that my deposit was due dec 15 and that they will send more info in the next few weeks but I haven't gotten anything and I was just waiting until dec 15th to pay. But I haven't sent anything yet. Am I missing something?

Guys I need help. For anyone that got accepted did you guys have to send back any information ? Anything saying that you accept their acceptance ?
When I got my acceptance letter in the mail it said that my deposit was due dec 15 and that they will send more info in the next few weeks but I haven't gotten anything and I was just waiting until dec 15th to pay. But I haven't sent anything yet. Am I missing something?

As of now you won't, because they don't know you're going to accept it. As long as they receive your money before December 15th you'll be fine. One they receive the check and other papers they'll send you an email saying so and your portal status will update. Until then there is no change.

As of now you won't, because they don't know you're going to accept it. As long as they receive your money before December 15th you'll be fine. One they receive the check and other papers they'll send you an email saying so and your portal status will update. Until then there is no change.
Hey thanks for answering ! :)
I was getting a little bit nervous.

With my acceptance letter a matriculation agreement form (not sure if that is the exact name of the form) was included that I had to sign and send back with my deposit. There were also some in-state tuition forms.

With my acceptance letter a matriculation agreement form (not sure if that is the exact name of the form) was included that I had to sign and send back with my deposit. There were also some in-state tuition forms.
Oh ok. But I guess either way they aren't due before the deposit is right? You would just send everything together.

Oh ok. But I guess either way they aren't due before the deposit is right? You would just send everything together.

Correct. You don't have to do anything until the deadline. That being said, make sure they have it in hand by the deadline, not postmarked by the deadline.

What is this group interview process like? Some places say panel, but most seem to indicate it's a group interview. Anyone have any advice on how to prepare or any general tips? Thank you!

What is this group interview process like? Some places say panel, but most seem to indicate it's a group interview. Anyone have any advice on how to prepare or any general tips? Thank you!

I interviewed here on 9/13 I believe, the group interview was a little awkward for me especially cause it was my first interview at the time. I think the best thing to do is to try to be yourself but also be sociable with the other 5 interviewees. The questions are pretty open-ended and facilitate discussion cause I'm pretty sure the intent of the six person interview is to see how well you work with the group. I found it to be kind of hard because its a little nerve wracking to hear your answers vs someone else, but if you're good at talking to groups of people and can get a good feel from the conversation you'll probably do well.

I interviewed here on 9/13 I believe, the group interview was a little awkward for me especially cause it was my first interview at the time. I think the best thing to do is to try to be yourself but also be sociable with the other 5 interviewees. The questions are pretty open-ended and facilitate discussion cause I'm pretty sure the intent of the six person interview is to see how well you work with the group. I found it to be kind of hard because its a little nerve wracking to hear your answers vs someone else, but if you're good at talking to groups of people and can get a good feel from the conversation you'll probably do well.
Thanks for the input! So there is no 1 on 1, but instead 8 people around a table? Are the questions addressed to a specific person, or is there a silence while someone builds up the courage to answer first?

Thanks for the input! So there is no 1 on 1, but instead 8 people around a table? Are the questions addressed to a specific person, or is there a silence while someone builds up the courage to answer first?

Yes there are eight people, 6 interviewees and 2 interviewers. The questions are addressed to the group and it just goes around by who talks. The faculty only really talk to ask questions, it's run in a way that tries to mimic PBL so they can assess how you'll fit into it.

Yes there are eight people, 6 interviewees and 2 interviewers. The questions are addressed to the group and it just goes around by who talks. The faculty only really talk to ask questions, it's run in a way that tries to mimic PBL so they can assess how you'll fit into it.
I think that it really depends on which group you are in and which professor you have. My group was strictly the professor asked a question and we went around in a circle answering the same question. Another interviewee who had a different professor told me that it was more of a legit PBL session where they were even writing on the board--- completely different than my experience! YMMV

Thank you both for the replies. Are there any other applicant activities, or is the rest of the day mainly consisting of a tour and demonstrations?

hey guys, i was wondering how the group interview setup is done? do you think it was beneficial or harmful? thanks

hey guys, i was wondering how the group interview setup is done? do you think it was beneficial or harmful? thanks

As I've said before in this thread I really liked the interview. I had a good group and did really well in it, I think it's a large part of the reason why I was accepted. You're going to get different answers from different people though depending on their group, faculty, questions, etc.

Anyone know if your chances are high of getting off the 90 day hold?

How long does the group interview last approximately? Does anyone know if lunch is provided? Thanks!

As I've said before in this thread I really liked the interview. I had a good group and did really well in it, I think it's a large part of the reason why I was accepted. You're going to get different answers from different people though depending on their group, faculty, questions, etc.

Didn't get an interview here. I'm a URM with good stats and haven't heard a peep.

Hi, I interviewed 10/14 and was placed on the alternate list...does anybody know how often alternates are taken off the list and accepted/if this happens at certain times during the application cycle or if it is a rolling admission kind of deal?
Thanks.