Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM-Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who've been accepted: $1500 deposit AND the matriculation agreement due in hand by the deadline? Is there anything else? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

For those who've been accepted: $1500 deposit AND the matriculation agreement due in hand by the deadline? Is there anything else? Thanks.

Yes, along with the residency affidavit if you're claiming FL residency for tuition. As stated earlier make sure they RECEIVE them by the deadline, not postmarked by that date. Also remember to send by certified mail as they require it. If you have any other questions feel free to PM me. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
What does the portal say after you've completed your interview?

What does the portal say after you've completed your interview?

First it will say, "Your file is under review by the committee post interview. You will receive a decision in the mail within 30 days." Then it will change to "A decision has been made on your file. You will receive a decision in the mail within 30 days," at which point most people call and get their decision over the phone.

First it will say, "Your file is under review by the committee post interview. You will receive a decision in the mail within 30 days." Then it will change to "A decision has been made on your file. You will receive a decision in the mail within 30 days," at which point most people call and get their decision over the phone.
Thanks! Do you by chance know approximately how long it takes for them to make a decision after it says "Your file is under review by the committee post interview"?

Thanks! Do you by chance know approximately how long it takes for them to make a decision after it says "Your file is under review by the committee post interview"?

I interviewed on a Friday, saw my status the following Tuesday, called, and got my decision.

Yes there are eight people, 6 interviewees and 2 interviewers. The questions are addressed to the group and it just goes around by who talks. The faculty only really talk to ask questions, it's run in a way that tries to mimic PBL so they can assess how you'll fit into it.

I could not have described it better.

Just interviewed 4 days ago. Group of 6 at a table, and you go around talking to each other. At one point, an interviewee was talking directly at one of the interviewers, and he promptly told her to talk to others at the table.

The interview is very relaxed, and really is about how you talk/respond with the rest of the group. Again, it's ALL about whether you fit into PBL. BUT REMEMBER: you better answer those questions well at the same time!

I got the phone call for acceptance on 12/4 when I interviewed on 12/2!!!

Can anyone send me the information on the USBs we got? I can't find mine...

I got the phone call for acceptance on 12/4 when I interviewed on 12/2!!!

Can anyone send me the information on the USBs we got? I can't find mine...

Congrats! Nice to know I have another Filipino out there haha

Does LECOM-B reject anyone post-interview?

I think I remember reading they usually only send out acceptances or alternate list.

Congratulations to the recently accepted. Please join the Facebook group if you have not already. The link should be in here somewhere.

Members don't see this ad :)
To any other deposited students, when you sent in the financial aid form (the thing emailed to us, not the mailed matriculation packets), did you get any sort of response from the lady we sent it to?

Also all my other forms are updated as being received on the portal but not this one. I sent mine in a while ago and just want to make sure this is the norm and not that my form got lost somewhere along the line..

To any other deposited students, when you sent in the financial aid form (the thing emailed to us, not the mailed matriculation packets), did you get any sort of response from the lady we sent it to?

Also all my other forms are updated as being received on the portal but not this one. I sent mine in a while ago and just want to make sure this is the norm and not that my form got lost somewhere along the line..

I did get a response from her, but I asked a question and she responded with an answer. She also said that by returning the form so promptly, I was ahead of the game (though this was back in September).

As far as the portal, it does not show this form in my list either. I think you are ok, but it couldn't hurt to send an email to her and ask.

I did get a response from her, but I asked a question and she responded with an answer. She also said that by returning the form so promptly, I was ahead of the game (though this was back in September).

As far as the portal, it does not show this form in my list either. I think you are ok, but it couldn't hurt to send an email to her and ask.

Thanks for the advice, I e-mailed her earlier today and she got back to my quickly. She said that she usually sends a confirmation e-mail but must have gotten side-tracked with something else when I sent mine in. All I need to do is wait now to fill out my FAFSA when it's available and I'll be good to go. So for all you other people who have/are going to send in your deposits and other forms, Mrs. Hunter should send you a confirmation e-mail. Hope this helps others. :)

For those accepted (and still in school), we need to send in our final transcripts right?

For those accepted (and still in school), we need to send in our final transcripts right?

Yes! If you look on your portal for required letters and credits it should say that the final transcript is unmarked. I have gone to a few different schools and already had those transcripts sent over.

Checked my status today: "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

Seems like rejection? Didn't even get an interview invite. MCAT 25 (8P, 8V, 9B), 3.8 overall GPA, 3.65 science GPA. I'm shocked. One of my top choices. Is it really that hard to get an interview invite for LECOM-B? Bummer.

Checked my status today: "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days."

Seems like rejection? Didn't even get an interview invite. MCAT 25 (8P, 8V, 9B), 3.8 overall GPA, 3.65 science GPA. I'm shocked. One of my top choices. Is it really that hard to get an interview invite for LECOM-B? Bummer.

Unfortunately, yes this is a rejection if you haven't interviewed yet. From what I've read on this thread I have seen people with pretty impressive stats get rejected. At the time I interviewed they said their average accepted MCAT was a 30, I'm sure their matriculant MCAT will be slightly lower, but yes, it does seem that LECOM-B is very competitive this year.

Although there is still some variability and randomness to the process with this school, as there is with all of them. I got to interview when someone cancelled their spot and was ultimately accepted with stats close to yours, so who knows what the actual process is. I'm sorry to hear about your decision, but I'm sure you'll get in somewhere. :)

Withdrew post-acceptance; good luck to everyone else! :)

Just withdrew my acceptance. Good luck to everyone applying!

been complete 6 weeks and haven't heard a peep :rolleyes:. I won a bet with my advisor. He said "you're a black male with a 3.5 sgpa 27 MCAT you'll get an interview at every DO school you apply to." I didn't get lecom B,PCOM, KCOM, or CCOM.

been complete 6 weeks and haven't heard a peep :rolleyes:. I won a bet with my advisor. He said "you're a black male with a 3.5 sgpa 27 MCAT you'll get an interview at every DO school you apply to." I didn't get lecom B,PCOM, KCOM, or CCOM.

Don't give up yet! I was complete for about 6-7 weeks and didn't hear a peep until I got a phone call inviting me to interview the following week as there was somebody who cancelled their interview. Interviewed Friday, status changed the following Tuesday, called and found out I was accepted. I have stats similar to yours (GPA slightly higher) but am not an URM. Just keep on waiting, things can change very quickly! :)

I just got a "you app will go to adcom for review" I have been complete for over 6 weeks???? Does this mean ADCOM will look at it soon?

Does LECOM re-review your application in exactly 90 days?

primary released 11/7
secondary received and submitted 11/11
asked to update with post-bacc grades 12/6
updated 12/23, ii 12/23
excited 12/23

I'm doing a lecture-based special SMP right now and would love the PBL, to say the least.

Interviewed 12/6
Waitlisted 12/10
Accepted 12/24
3.4, 29

Reactions: 1 user
I didn't send a letter of intent, I just called to confirm my spot on the alternate list and expressed my interest over the phone

Just canceled my interview on January 13th. Hopefully, someone gets my interview spot! Good luck, everyone!

Not sure if I should shell out the money to go to my interview.. Any ideas on how full the class might be ?

Can anyone say a little more about PBL? I am really concerned about how much extraneous information you study in a PBL curriculum vs a traditional lecture based curriculum? The required info for boards is vast enough, the thought of trying to cram in additional info is daunting.
On the flip side, I hear everything you study is board relevant?

I just don't have enough info to commit to a solely PBL curriculum. I know PBL students primarily use textbooks whereas students in lecture based curriculum use powerpoints and condensed bullet point review books. Do PBL students use review books too on top of textbooks?

Can anyone say a little more about PBL? I am really concerned about how much extraneous information you study in a PBL curriculum vs a traditional lecture based curriculum? The required info for boards is vast enough, the thought of trying to cram in additional info is daunting.

I just don't have enough info to commit to a solely PBL curriculum. I know PBL students primarily use textbooks whereas students in lecture based curriculum use powerpoints and condensed bullet point review books. Do PBL students use review books too on top of textbooks?

I had these same concerns when initially reading about LECOM-B before my interview; however, after sitting in on the PBL session and reading up on some things it really set my mind at ease. I found this (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/unsure-about-pbl-at-lecom-b.1037412/) thread and this linked comment (http://forums.studentdoctor.net/thr...thread-2011-2012.815684/page-12#post-11760060) to learn more about PBL in general.

In the end I decided I really liked the idea with PBL, the commanding knowledge of the OMS2's in the PBL session was particularly comforting. I've heard that PBL is a tough road but that it works, in the end I want the curriculum that'll help me succeed. In the end I liked it more than my other options at the time my deposit was due, so I put my down at LECOM-B. I have a few interviews in the coming months, but as of right now I'll be in Bradenton this Fall.

As for your other questions I can't answer as I haven't started medical school. Hopefully a current student can chime in, another good place to ask is the Facebook group, many class of 2017 students are active on there and receptive to questions.

Does anybody know who to contact when you withdrawal your acceptance? I already put down the deposit but I have decided I would rather go to KCOM and I am not sure who I should contact. Thanks!

There is no extraneous information. Unlike pre-med courses where you are responsible for a limited amount of information, in med school you are tasked with understanding how complicated body systems work. Do you want to listen to a professor talk about it with bullet-pointed slides, or do you want to read it yourself? That's the question.

Most of what people are saying here with learning "extra stuff" in PBL is crap. And yes, we use review books. You can use all review books, if you'd like, probably to your own detriment.
Boards questions are written based on information in text books. Not powerpoints.

If PBL is not for you, great. If you like lecture, great. But PBL does not require you to learn more than you need any more so than any lecture curriculum teaches you more than you need. PBL is about self-study for understanding the basic sciences and their mechanisms instead of having someone talk bullet points at you and trying to memorize them. The goal is the same, the method is different.

Boards don't have a little set of facts that they test every time. They have a huge gigantic mess of crap they can test on. You have no idea the depth and breadth of what they can test. You will only get a fraction of it on your actual exam. If you're trying to get through med school learning the absolute minimum you need to pass boards, I'm afraid your attitude will not serve you well in medical school or beyond, no matter what school you attend or what curriculum it uses.

Last edited:
There is no extraneous information. Unlike pre-med courses where you are responsible for a limited amount of information, in med school you are tasked with understanding how complicated body systems work. Do you want to listen to a professor talk about it with bullet-pointed slides, or do you want to read it yourself? That's the question.

Most of what people are saying here with learning "extra stuff" in PBL is crap. And yes, we use review books. You can use all review books, if you'd like, probably to your own detriment.
Boards questions are written based on information in text books. Not powerpoints.

If PBL is not for you, great. If you like lecture, great. But PBL does not require you to learn more than you need any more so than any lecture curriculum teaches you more than you need. PBL is about self-study for understanding the basic sciences and their mechanisms instead of having someone talk bullet points at you and trying to memorize them. The goal is the same, the method is different.

Boards don't have a little set of facts that they test every time. They have a huge gigantic mess of crap they can test on. You have no idea the depth and breadth of what they can test. You will only get a fraction of it on your actual exam. If you're trying to get through med school learning the absolute minimum you need to pass boards, I'm afraid your attitude will not serve you well in medical school or beyond, no matter what school you attend or what curriculum it uses.

Thanks, really clarifies the objectives of PBL. I was always put off by hearing things that PBL forces students to memorize useless minutiae that only gets in the way of focusing efforts on board related items, but it is reassuring to know this is not really the case. I really do believe in and like the PBL philosophy, i'm just trying to make an informed decision before committing to a school.

Also, I had another question.Because PBL is more independent type learning, would you say a post-bac student who only has taken the med school science prereqs is at a disadvantage to a bio major for example? A few people expressed on this site that someone like me would have a more difficult time with PBL because of this. Although, I really don't know if this is true. Any thoughts I would appreciate, just want to pick the curriculum which suits me best.

Last edited:
I hate to break it to you, but you do have to learn minutiae in medical school. You have to learn A TON of minutiae (that's why the notion of "extra stuff" here is actually laughable). Medicine is made out of minutiae. ****'s complicated. Minutiae is tested on boards. For example, you have to learn about a lot of viruses and know which ones are DNA, which are RNA, which are double stranded, which are single stranded, which are circular, which are linear, etc, and that's in addition to knowing what they are, who they infect, where they infect people, how they infect people, what they do, what family they're in, the drugs you use, how you diagnose them, what you see on culture or tissue biopsy, etc. You need to know specific mutations and gene translations in a whole crazy big long list of diseases. You have to know which specific caspases do what actions during apoptosis. As far as I understood, anything in my texts was fair game for boards.

Efforts are not necessarily "focused on board-related items." I feel like this is a very undergrad way of thinking. You are in medical school for the first two years to learn basic sciences. EVERYTHING is board related. The goal of PBL is to acquire a broad and deep understanding of the basic sciences. If you do this well, you do well on boards.

I don't think anyone is at a serious disadvantage for not taking more bio courses. I do believe people who took certain courses (biochem, pharm) will have a slight advantage in the beginning, but this levels out.

I didn't retain hardly anything from my undergrad and grad school courses. I didn't learn well in lectures or from powerpoints, it just didn't click. Reading things as explained in a good text, reading review books, doing questions, drawing diagrams -- this all worked much better for me. I didn't want to spend 8 hrs a day in lecture and then go home and have to do my actual learning until midnight. Choose PBL if you learn better by reading something and working on it yourself, or want more flexibility in your study schedule, or would like to start learning how to read about science at a professional level. Choose lectures if you learn better by going through bullet-pointed lists, or like to have textbook material summarized and explained to you by a prof in lecture, or need more structure in your study schedule, or can't read for more than 10 minutes without spontaneously combusting.

Does anybody know who to contact when you withdrawal your acceptance? I already put down the deposit but I have decided I would rather go to KCOM and I am not sure who I should contact. Thanks!

call the admissions office and speak with annette

Withdrawing my interview first week of feb. GL folks

Hi everyone, I have an interview here in a few days. I feel that I'm prepared, but does anyone have any advice or tips to offer? Anything in particular to focus on? Any help is much appreciated!

They want to see that you can work in groups. Be assertive but not overly aggressive when answering. Each interview group was different so be flexible and ready to change your pre-made answers accordingly.

Hi everyone, I have an interview here in a few days. I feel that I'm prepared, but does anyone have any advice or tips to offer? Anything in particular to focus on? Any help is much appreciated!

The questions really vary from group to group, it's less about what you say exactly and more about how you work in a group setting (although don't say anything outrageous either). Mine was really laid back and none of the questions were too hard - one thing I'd work on regardless of the group are answering 'Why PBL?' and know everything you can about that as it is the main focus of the day.

Other than that the interview was pretty relaxing, I personally liked the group setting - it takes the pressure off of you if you don't have your answer right away. Most of all I'd just relax and be yourself. You'll do fine! :)

Would anybody be able to shed light on the rotations process? From what I know, students usually pick a location preference in 1st and 2nd year and then I think they are assigned to hospitals in those areas. But I have also heard of students having to take it upon themselves to find places to do their rotations and I wasn't sure if that was for people who decided to stay local or for people who decided they wanted to make their own rotations and go elsewhere?

During the interview one of the directors talked to us about the process. Basically during second year they hand out a list of available rotations and the students choose what they want. For the most part, it depends on how you rank in the class.