Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM-Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you on the alternate list (myself included), I was told by Annette Shively that they acccept about 70 students each year of the alternate list and the total list is about 150 people long. Also said they don't rank students....so I don't know what that means in terms of how they select alternates.

Does anyone know when movement typically begins from the alternate list to acceptance?
When I spoke to her over a month ago she said that they already started moving people off the alternate list. This was back in late October, and she also said that they do it continuously throughout the year

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Alternate-listed..

May I ask when you interviewed? The good thing is that LECOM accepts a lot of students off the alternate list. Keep sending in update letters and an LOI if this is your best fit!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I interviewed way back in September, I was just waiting on my LoR from the DO I shadowed, which took a while. I sent them the letter on Thursday; my status changed to "committee is reviewing" on Monday, and "has made a decision" yesterday.

Well I interviewed way back in September, I was just waiting on my LoR from the DO I shadowed, which took a while. I sent them the letter on Thursday; my status changed to "committee is reviewing" on Monday, and "has made a decision" yesterday.

Oh I see. Are you sitting on any other interviews or acceptances?

May I ask when you interviewed? The good thing is that LECOM accepts a lot of students off the alternate list. Keep sending in update letters and an LOI if this is your best fit!
Whats the email you send your update letter too?

Are there any simulator patients or standardized patients during the first two years?

Yes, you will have patient encounters with standardized patients throughout your first two years. I'm a current first year and we had 5 encounters in our first semester. Four were what are called FEWs (focused exam workshop) and one is the OSCE at the end of the semester. Before each FEW your group will have a skills session where you meet with a clinical faculty member and they go through the exam with you, give tips and pointers, etc.

In each FEW you do a different skill/exam, our first two were taking a history, the third was vitals and peripheral vasculature, and the last was skin, hair, and nails. For these you have 20 minutes do to the history and exam, then 15 minutes to type up your encounter note. You are graded on your history and exam by the standardized patient (they are given a checklist sheet of things to look for) and your write-up is graded by a clinical faculty.

The OSCE for us this semester was 25 minutes to do a history and both exams, but there was no write up. In the OSCE there is a clinical faculty in the room observing your exam and checking off the things you did. All of these happen in the patient encounter suite, where you are in a mock doctors office with all of the equipment, etc. I think this is pretty standard across most medical schools; however, the clinical exam department here at LECOM is really thorough and prepares you well for MS3/MS4.

The admissions committee made decisions on applications today. Check your status, and you can call if you want to know your decision before the snail mail arrives.

:0. I'm afraid to call! I live 2 hours north of LECOM-B so it shouldn't take too long to receive the letter.

I called and was accepted, however, I got accepted to another school about an hour later! Won't be accepting, so hopefully the spot I don't take goes to someone here!

Members don't see this ad :)
Was on the alternate list. Interviewed 8/11 but I'm withdrawing. Hope one of you SDNers gets the call!

After I withdrew from the alternate list they sent me an email saying I never accepted my spot on the list in the first place...smells fishy lol

Anyone have an interview on 1/30? looking to split the cost of a hotel room?

So I just heard back from them a couple minutes ago and they just said they will "rereview my file in 90 days."

First of all, what does that mean? Is this like I'm wait listed for an interview type of situation?

Second, THANKS FOR RUINING MY CHRISTMAS EVE. COULD THIS REALLY NOT HAVE WAITED UNTIL DECEMBER 26?

Got a decision has been made and mailed in 30 days. This is pre-interview, I assume I wasn't offered one. Sad X-mas.

II today! Scheduled for 02/09; complete 10/30.

II today! Scheduled for 02/09; complete 10/30.

Interested in splitting a room at the holiday inn and/or airport commute? Flying into Sarasota–Bradenton International Airport at 7:30pm on 2/8 and leaving 5:30pm 2/9

II today !! scheduled for 2/13 :) complete in October

Reactions: 1 users
So I just heard back from them a couple minutes ago and they just said they will "rereview my file in 90 days."

First of all, what does that mean? Is this like I'm wait listed for an interview type of situation?

Second, THANKS FOR RUINING MY CHRISTMAS EVE. COULD THIS REALLY NOT HAVE WAITED UNTIL DECEMBER 26?

Got the same thing today...but when I check my status online it says it will be reviewed again in 60 days...either way...doesn't look good.

II yesterday! So excited! Scheduled for 2/13. Flying into Sarasota 2:30PM 2/12 and staying at Holiday Inn, Lakewood Ranch. Anyone want to split a cab?

Turning down my acceptance here, good luck to all applying. It is truly an amazing school! :)

I am noticing an interesting trend. Have good stats or a high MCAT? You get rejected, sometimes before interview, but almost always after.
I have to wonder why lecom seems to NOT want applications with higher stats.
I was also rejected pre-interview with a 33 (11/11/11) MCAT.
Are they afraid that if your scores are high that you won't think PBL is THE best thing since sliced bread?
One has to wonder. I'm no stranger to that school. I got my pharmd there and my wife got her DO there.

I am noticing an interesting trend. Have good stats or a high MCAT? You get rejected, sometimes before interview, but almost always after.
Are they afraid that if your scores are high that you won't think PBL is THE best thing since sliced bread?
One has to wonder. I'm no stranger to that school. I got my pharmd there and my wife got her DO there.
When did you apply?

Maybe they're assuming that with stats like that you'd probably just go to an md school?

When did you apply?
I applied early in the year and got the rejection via letter pre-interview.
I won't try and say it was even close to my top choice, but I falsely assumed stats would help me. I'm truly shocked to see that stats might actually work against you at lecom. I'm no fan of lecom, but the preference for applications with lower stats is only going to reinforce the stigma that the school is a sharply dressed degree mill.
I don't even care that I got rejected, but the string of rejections of applications with high scores is disconcerting. The school has an iffy reputation in the community for the quality (or lack thereof) of its graduates. That said, they still graduate some EXTREMELY sharp doctors, but they are few and far between. The relatively large percentage of subpar graduates is dragging the school's name down.
What IS the reason for the preference for lower scores? Inquiring minds want to know.

I applied early in the year and got the rejection via letter pre-interview.
I won't try and say it was even close to my top choice, but I falsely assumed stats would help me. I'm truly shocked to see that stats might actually work against you at lecom. I'm no fan of lecom, but the preference for applications with lower stats is only going to reinforce the stigma that the school is a sharply dressed degree mill.
I don't even care that I got rejected, but the string of rejections of applications with high scores is disconcerting. The school has an iffy reputation in the community for the quality (or lack thereof) of its graduates. That said, they still graduate some EXTREMELY sharp doctors, but they are few and far between. The relatively large percentage of subpar graduates is dragging the school's name down.
What IS the reason for the preference for lower scores? Inquiring minds want to know.

I personally don't get it either but in all honesty with your stats you do have a good chance for an allopathic school. If u got into both a do and an md school would u have a preference for one over the other? I'm just assuming maybe that's how they see it and they probably don't want to be someone's backup plan. Just my assumptions.

I personally don't get it either but in all honesty with your stats you do have a good chance for an allopathic school. If u got into both a do and an md school would u have a preference for one over the other? I'm just assuming maybe that's how they see it and they probably don't want to be someone's backup plan. Just my assumptions.
It's going to sound crazy, but I have a preference for DO. I admit that I would go to USF in a heartbeat, but that has less to do with the degree offered and more to do with location and affiliated hospitals for rotations.
As far as I am concerned, a DO can do everything an MD can do AND they do OMT. If DO schools are seen as inferior, it is only because they are creating and reinforcing that notion with their acceptance policies. Quality applications are going to schools of both types, and schools of both types are graduating some superior doctors and some mediocre ones. The letters after your name let you practice, but they don't make you a doctor (either good or bad). The student determines whether or not they will be a good doctor.

Last edited:
It's goi to sound crazy, but I have a preference for DO. I admit that I would go to USF in a heartbeat, but that has less to do with the degree offered and more to do with location and affiliated hospitals for rotations.
As far as I am concerned, a DO can do everything an MD can do AND they do OMT. If DO schools are seen as inferior, it is only because they are creating and reinforcing that notion with their acceptance policies. Quality applications are going to schools of both types, and schools of both types are graduating some superior doctors and some mediocre ones. The letters after your name let you practice, but they don't make you a doctor (either good or bad). The student determines whether or not they will be a good doctor.
Not crazy at all and yeah they can do everything an md can but more. The only barriers I can see from being a do is actually getting there to do the specialty you want. People in residency admissions may be biased and it's actually sad that people exist that still think like that today. I haven't even started school yet and I've already gone through it which really changed my views of some of the certain physicians I've met. All in all I think as a do u have to work a little harder to prove your worth because people will have their biases and discrimination. As an md, (not saying that it's significantly easier) there won't be as many barriers.

It's goi to sound crazy, but I have a preference for DO. I admit that I would go to USF in a heartbeat, but that has less to do with the degree offered and more to do with location and affiliated hospitals for rotations.
Well said.

Just received an ii. Had my heart set on an OOS school, but LECOM is so much cheaper!

Anyone hesitant about attending a school with PBL? Off to read this thread from the beginning... :D

Last edited:
For those that interviewed on 1/9, my portal showed a decision has been made and I was able to call the school to find out the results!

Reactions: 2 users
has anyone heard anything from the alternate list or know when people placed on it should expect to start seeing movement? I was placed on the alternate in october.

I was placed on the alternate list, and asked the school for advice on how to move up.. They gave me a week to write a letter of intent, and said they'd take my application back to committee. I wasn't ready to commit to them yet, so I didn't write one. If LECOM is where you really wanna go, maybe that's what you should do.

Primary completed in September. Secondary completed in early December. Interview scheduled for March 6th. I have an interview at LECOM Seton Hill on March 19th. I'm really nervous. Are these wait list interviews or for actual spots.

I was also placed on the alternate list, but was accepted shortly after sending them an update letter.

Interview today. The group interview was quite strange, I think they have a pretty good idea of who they're going to accept beforehand.