Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM-Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Can anyone that attends LECOM give some insight into the curriculum? (Particularly, how it works exactly and if you have encountered any issues/challenges)

Also, I've heard you need to set up your own rotations during 3rd and 4th year. Is this true???

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
What did your portal say before they called?
It said they were still considering my application and a decision hadn't been made. After I got the call it said a decision had been made and I would receive a letter within 30 days

If anyone sent a letter of intent… did you get a reply after you sent it? I sent one to Ron like 2 days ago and I haven't heard anything (regarding the letter, not acceptance of course)

Members don't see this ad :)
If anyone sent a letter of intent… did you get a reply after you sent it? I sent one to Ron like 2 days ago and I haven't heard anything (regarding the letter, not acceptance of course)

I noticed that they're really awful with communication. Your best bet is to email both of them (Annette and Ron) and then call if you don't receive a response by the next business day. They actually misplaced my emails regarding my fall grades and that postponed my decision by a week! I called and sorted it all out. But when I sent an update letter I did get a response via email the next business day. Best advice is if you don't get an answer by email, definitely call!

I noticed that they're really awful with communication. Your best bet is to email both of them (Annette and Ron) and then call if you don't receive a response by the next business day. They actually misplaced my emails regarding my fall grades and that postponed my decision by a week! I called and sorted it all out. But when I sent an update letter I did get a response via email the next business day. Best advice is if you don't get an answer by email, definitely call!
Great! thank you very much!

I sent a letter of intent to mrs. Shively and I had to ask mrs. Connolly if they got it. They ended up getting it in time for the committee. I did call them four times today to see where my application landed and no one picked up haha so email may be the best bet

according to Mrs. Shively, the alternate list won't move until may at this point. So for all those on the alternate list with me, we need to be patient I guess!

Reactions: 1 user
What is the difference between alternate list and waitlist?
From what I can tell there is no difference! They just like to say that it's different so applicants think they have a better chance. No qualities different from a waitlist at all.

Edit: I am also on that alternate list, and as compared to others that I know who are on waitlists there is no difference.

Last edited:
Thanks! I'm not sure which, if any, my husband is on since he status changed to a your application is still under consideration

Can anyone that attends LECOM give some insight into the curriculum? (Particularly, how it works exactly and if you have encountered any issues/challenges)

Also, I've heard you need to set up your own rotations during 3rd and 4th year. Is this true???

The curriculum is unique and is what makes LECOM-B special. You will start off your first 10 weeks with an intense anatomy course. It's a great way to get into the groove of med school and the course director is a legend around here because of how good the anatomy course is and how well we do in anatomy on the boards. After anatomy, your only lecture based classes will be OPP and Clinal Exam. All of your other basic science subjects will be grouped into PBL, which involves three 2 hour group meetings a week and then a lot of independent studying. In my opinion PBL is what makes LECOM-B special because we're constantly using basic sciences to understand pathological conditions and clinical results at a level that at least none of my friends at other med schools are at.

You don't schedule your own rotations in 3rd year unless you want to. IMO, this is where LECOM-B is weakest though. They don't have enough large teaching hospital affiliations to supply to the entire class so the bottom half of the class ends up rotating at individual clinics around a region that they choose, or back home if they're from out of state. The primary disadvantage would be that you are going to be traveling every month. A third or fourth year would have to chime in to tell you if there are any other disadvantages. On the other hand, we have dozens of year long spots each year at great hospitals like the Florida Hospital of Orlando and Tampa General. In terms of 4th year it doesn't matter where you go to school, you'll probably be scheduling your own audition rotations, likely through an application service like VSAS.

You have to understand that these guys are swamped with apps, emails, and calls pretty much every day. But you have a great point. Make sure they got your LOR or LOI. That goes for any school, not just LECOM.

according to Mrs. Shively, the alternate list won't move until may at this point. So for all those on the alternate list with me, we need to be patient I guess!

This sounds correct to me. From what I have heard there is a lot of movement in May and June after interviews are done. If you really want to go here don't be afraid to shadow and get another LOR or do something like volunteering just so you can find a new excuse to write them another LOI. If you can show them that you really want to be here it's a good sign that you'll probably work hard once you get here and that's a big deal to them.

Hey everyone! I am new to the forums and wanted to introduce myself. I was not planning on applying to any schools until next cycle but decided to give several schools a shot late in the cycle. Just a little about myself: I have a Molecular and cell biology degree from a smaller state school in GA, 3.85 sGPA, 3.55 cGPA, 27 MCAT (8/8/11), several leadership roles, co-founded a health and wellness society, 200+ hospital volunteer hours, 200+ shadowing hours total in peds, surg, and derm, and around 1,000 hours of clinical experience working as a MA.

My secondary was received on 3/23 and am hoping to hear back about an II one day soon!

Best luck to everyone!

Got notified that I was put on the alternate list for this school, interviewed 3/20.
Also- in this school I think the wait list is called the alternate list. Otherwise it's the same thing haha. Guess we just gotta be patient

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know when the last interview date is?

If you look in the interview section under the admissions tab on the portal it has several interview dates for all of the LECOM campuses, some of which go into mid-June. I don't imagine they would have many dates later than that.

I have called the admissions department twice to ask a similar question but have gotten VM both times. They are probably getting swamped with called though, so its understandable.

Anyone know when the last interview date is?
When I was scheduling my interview I thought April 1st was the last interview date listed. But they may have added more dates since then, not sure how it works.

When I was scheduling my interview I thought April 1st was the last interview date listed. But they may have added more dates since then, not sure how it works.

They only offer certain dates for you. For instance, when I interviewed in September, that was the latest date that I could pick.

Is there a facebook group for the Class of 2019? I've tried to search for it, but the search has been unfruitful...

If people are banking on LECOM's high board scores, I wouldn't put my faith in that. LECOM HAD good scores, but what they aren't telling you is their board scores are declining. I believe my wife's class (2012) was the last class with the high numbers they like to tout. They've been steadily going down ever since.

LECOM has the bad habit of valuing money over all else. A student is a student, and they realized they could pack more students in those PBL rooms and make more money. In doing so, they added to the bottom, not to the top. They also have a bad habit of losing any faculty worth anything. This is true both of the pharmacy and medical programs. As I progressed through LECOM-B pharmacy, I watched my professors leave one after another. On average, we lost 2-4 professors PER YEAR. And this happened for all four years. I don't know how many they lost on the medical side, but I know it was significant as well. In particular, I know they had a fantastic professor for neurology. I would like to point out that 'had' is the operative word. I can't say how many others left, but the general trend was: the better the teacher, the more likely they were to get out. And get out they did.

Can LECOM give you a good education? Perhaps. But the school isn't what it used to be. And part of their super high board scores came from the fact that one of the principle authors of the test was a LECOM professor. Once again, the operative word here is 'was.' So many of the better parts of the school can only be spoken of in past tense.

By the numbers, the best DO school in the country is Michigan State University. Second place varies, but Lincoln has nabbed the second spot a couple times.

The only thing this school TRULY excels at is playing a God Bless America video that nearly everyone comes to hate. And making people hate the place.

If you want to know what former students really think about the place, try looking up fleacom on youtube.

As an addendum, I'd point out that there are three kinds of lies in this world.
Lies
Damn Lies
Statistics

I'm sure if you dig, the data is there. Anything pre-2012 is going to look golden. Anything after... probably not exactly pedestal worthy.

Last edited:

Yeah, there weren't dates past April when I had scheduled either. I am alternate listed and was hoping to get some idea when they would stop interviewing so they could really starting getting back to us. The wait absolutely sucks.

Hey Everyone,

I'm interviewing at LECOM on Friday, April 3rd. I'm driving down from New Jersey and was wondering if anyone would be able to put me up for the 2nd/3rd or maybe be able to suggest a place with affordable lodging. I would love to meet some students and get some insights about the school. If you can help me out please PM me. Thanks!

Hey Everyone,

I'm interviewing at LECOM on Friday, April 3rd. I'm driving down from New Jersey and was wondering if anyone would be able to put me up for the 2nd/3rd or maybe be able to suggest a place with affordable lodging. I would love to meet some students and get some insights about the school. If you can help me out please PM me. Thanks!
I stayed at Holiday Inn Lakewood Ranch which is only a few miles from the school. You get a discount through LECOM which is pretty much half price but it's still about $100 per night. Very nice hotel though. Also, was April 3rd the last date you could pick for an interview or were their later dates on the schedule?

Got notified that I was put on the alternate list for this school, interviewed 3/20.
Also- in this school I think the wait list is called the alternate list. Otherwise it's the same thing haha. Guess we just gotta be patient

I interviewed that week as well! Did you get a call or did you shoot Annette Shively an email?
And don't worry, I'm sure it'll all work out! :)

I interviewed that week as well! Did you get a call or did you shoot Annette Shively an email?
And don't worry, I'm sure it'll all work out! :)
Word of advice do not call them you'll just end up frustrated Cuz they're having a huge volume of calls so they don't pick up. I shot mrs. Shively an email and she responded the next business day.

I have been at this status for 3 months: "Your file is under review by the Admissions Committee. We will notify you as soon as a decision has been made." Does anyone know if this is a rejection at this point or if they are full already? I have sent application updates as well.

I have been at this status for 3 months: "Your file is under review by the Admissions Committee. We will notify you as soon as a decision has been made." Does anyone know if this is a rejection at this point or if they are full already? I have sent application updates as well.
What did they tell you on your interview date? When I interviewed in March, they told us if your status doesn't change in 1 week then you are on a list to be accepted once spots in the class become available. But this was in March when the class was already full, not 3 months ago.

I have had the same status with Erie, as for Bradenton, my status still states "We received your supplemental application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made"

An advisor at MSU-COM told me I should be careful when emailing/calling schools regarding my application because it can be seen as, you not trusting the process nor the employee, who is responsible for the matter at hand. It sort of worried me because I only contacted them when they told me my application was incomplete & past the due date, because of a missing MCAT score, even though my scores had been released, they just were not received by AACOMAS and when they were, they were not received by MSU

So should I contact both Erie and Brandenton? Suggestions?

Anyone still have an interview scheduled this cycle?

An advisor at MSU-COM told me I should be careful when emailing/calling schools regarding my application because it can be seen as, you not trusting the process nor the employee, who is responsible for the matter at hand. It sort of worried me because I only contacted them when they told me my application was incomplete & past the due date, because of a missing MCAT score, even though my scores had been released, they just were not received by AACOMAS and when they were, they were not received by

So should I contact both Erie and Brandenton? Suggestions?

Yes contact them. Just be polite and professional.

Anyone still have an interview scheduled this cycle?

I think the last interview date is APRIL 24. Not 100% sure on that though.

I interviewed on 3/27 and was told that admissions would meet today to review the applications for the 3/27 interview. Currently my admissions portal says "Your application is still under consideration by the Admissions Committee. You will be notified by mail of the decision by the Admissions Committee." At the interview, I was told it would change if I was waitlisted or rejected but remain the same if I was accepted and that if thats the case I should just wait for a phone call. I'm wondering how true this is?

I also interviewed on 3/27 but I saw my portal status change yesterday to they made a decision...letter in mail in 30 days. I definitely heard that they would meet too but I thought they said tuesday? Based on what they said would mean im waitlisted/rejected ;(.

Last edited:
I interviewed on 3/27 and was told that admissions would meet today to review the applications for the 3/27 interview. Currently my admissions portal says "Your application is still under consideration by the Admissions Committee. You will be notified by mail of the decision by the Admissions Committee." At the interview, I was told it would change if I was waitlisted or rejected but remain the same if I was accepted and that if thats the case I should just wait for a phone call. I'm wondering how true this is?
Yea if you don't hear anything that means they intend to offer you a spot if/when spots become available. So you are ahead of the people on the alternate list but still not guaranteed a spot. But I think there's a pretty good chance spots will open up. I interviewed 3/20 and was accepted 4/6. Portal didn't change until they told me I was accepted.

By the numbers, the best DO school in the country is Michigan State University. Second place varies, but Lincoln has nabbed the second spot a couple times.

--snip-- --snip--

As an addendum, I'd point out that there are three kinds of lies in this world.
Lies
Damn Lies
Statistics

I like this juxtaposition.

First you say that LECOM-B doesn't have good board scores.

Then you say that MSU and Lincoln are the best DO schools "by the numbers." What those numbers are, I am unsure. Do they use them in "the biz?"

And then you finish it up by saying that all statistics are lies.

Anyway, everyone knows the best medical school is the one you got into. Which, from the looks of your posting history is Lincoln. So I'm really not shocked.

Medical schools get away with a lot they shouldn't. Like not publishing any objective numbers to rate their performance as an applicant. As a result, you are best off picking a school based on: Price, Location, and "School-Feel" in that order.

For me at LECOM-B, the price is right (ha.). The area is beautiful (I'd like to stay here post-graduation). And the "school-feel" is meh (love the students, love the staff, dislike the administration).

Reactions: 2 users
Any updates for anyone yet? The snail mail has not come for me yet.

edit: mail came today. Alternate list.

Last edited:
I interviewed on 4/3 and Mrs Shively specifically said that if we didn't get a status change by the following Tuesday (4/7) it means that you have been accepted. I've been reading every single post in this thread and even the previous years but it seems that her words may not have been 100% accurate. (Since other students have had their status change weeks afterwards and find out that they have been waitlisted.)

If anyone cares to comment on what they were told at the interview and their experience with their subsequent WL/rejection/acceptance. I'm just curious if everyone was told that they would be notified by the following Tuesday after their interview...

Hope you can understand my impatience/anxiety! :eek:

I interviewed on 4/3 and Mrs Shively specifically said that if we didn't get a status change by the following Tuesday (4/7) it means that you have been accepted. I've been reading every single post in this thread and even the previous years but it seems that her words may not have been 100% accurate. (Since other students have had their status change weeks afterwards and find out that they have been waitlisted.)

If anyone cares to comment on what they were told at the interview and their experience with their subsequent WL/rejection/acceptance. I'm just curious if everyone was told that they would be notified by the following Tuesday after their interview...

Hope you can understand my impatience/anxiety! :eek:

From the people I have talked to and my personal experience, those words have held true. I had a status change the Tuesday after my interview and I called to find out I was waitlisted. I know at least 3 other people who did not have a status change and received their acceptance calls within the following few weeks. Hope this helps!

Reactions: 1 users
I believe that what Mrs. Shively said is accurate. It really depends on when you interviewed and what they tell you that day. For instance they told my group that we would have to wait two tuesdays later. Has anyone heard if/when movement for the alternate list will be?

I believe that what Mrs. Shively said is accurate. It really depends on when you interviewed and what they tell you that day. For instance they told my group that we would have to wait two tuesdays later. Has anyone heard if/when movement for the alternate list will be?
Sounds like movement isn't going to begin until May.

I was told by Annette it would be end of April/May when they finish interviews. Any one know if they are still interviewing or if the April 3rd interview was the last one?

I was told by Annette it would be end of April/May when they finish interviews. Any one know if they are still interviewing or if the April 3rd interview was the last one?
From what I heard so far I think April 3 was the most recent unless I am wrong. Also how many are still on the waitlist with me?

I'm still on the wait list/alternate list . Has anybody been rejected post-interview? Because it feels like everyone that interviewed was either accepted or put on the list.

Reactions: 1 users
My status has said the same thing since I submitted my secondary back in late November. However today I checked it and it said the "Your file is under review by the Admissions Committee. We will notify you as soon as a decision has been made.".

Anyone know if there's a chance they're still offering interviews? Hoping I at least get a chance to interview before they come to a decsion on my application lol.

Last edited:
I'm still on the wait list/alternate list . Has anybody been rejected post-interview? Because it feels like everyone that interviewed was either accepted or put on the list.

Ya I am curious about this as well because so far I haven't heard of anybody being rejected post-interview. Sounds to me like they won't start cutting people from the alternate list until at least May so that they have enough time to fairly assess each candidate that has interviewed. Given interviews are still happening up until the end of April, I wouldn't expect too much progress for awhile. Although, someone in the thread earlier pointed out that they were accepted off the wait-list two weeks after sending in letter of intent, so perhaps they are treating it more on a rolling basis for those who have submitted a letter update/letter of intent. But ya if anyone out there has heard of someone getting rejected post-interview it would be nice to know how long until they found out :/...How long have you been on the alternate list, and have you submitted letter update?

Ya I am curious about this as well because so far I haven't heard of anybody being rejected post-interview. Sounds to me like they won't start cutting people from the alternate list until at least May so that they have enough time to fairly assess each candidate that has interviewed. Given interviews are still happening up until the end of April, I wouldn't expect too much progress for awhile. Although, someone in the thread earlier pointed out that they were accepted off the wait-list two weeks after sending in letter of intent, so perhaps they are treating it more on a rolling basis for those who have submitted a letter update/letter of intent. But ya if anyone out there has heard of someone getting rejected post-interview it would be nice to know how long until they found out :/...How long have you been on the alternate list, and have you submitted letter update?

ya plenty of ppl have been rejected post interview and found out the same as when people found out they were accepted/waitlisted. i think people are just less likely to post on here that they were rejected. LECOM-B told me they only put about 150 people on the alternate list and typically accept a minimum of 70 off of it. I was put on it back in october and sent in letters of intent and updates. I also have been in contact with them quite a bit. They told me they don't expect to really have any movement until end of april beginning of may. So hopefully here soon.....its been a long wait. Luckily I have other acceptances but I just really like LECOM-B.

ya plenty of ppl have been rejected post interview and found out the same as when people found out they were accepted/waitlisted. i think people are just less likely to post on here that they were rejected. LECOM-B told me they only put about 150 people on the alternate list and typically accept a minimum of 70 off of it. I was put on it back in october and sent in letters of intent and updates. I also have been in contact with them quite a bit. They told me they don't expect to really have any movement until end of april beginning of may. So hopefully here soon.....its been a long wait. Luckily I have other acceptances but I just really like LECOM-B.

What do you mean by "minimum"? Also that's a Long time to be wait listed. Making me feel nervous. I too also sent a LOI.

What do you mean by "minimum"? Also that's a Long time to be wait listed. Making me feel nervous. I too also sent a LOI.
I wish i knew. That is just the wording Annette used in her email to me. :/

You have been waitlisted since October?! Jeez that seems like a really long time compared to anyone who has posted thus far. How have you been staying in contact with them over this time? Monthly emails or what? Curious as to what form of communication and with what frequency is best to use without annoying them...Wish I had other acceptances, but hey when you wait until January to apply can't expect too much :/..this too is my first choice so guess I'm lucky enough to be waitlisted at this point...Also I should note that at my interview in march they informed us only 12 people were on the waitlist, which seemed abnormally low, so I feel must have misheard them..if anyone with a recent interview heard of the total number at this time, please share!

I like this juxtaposition.

First you say that LECOM-B doesn't have good board scores.

Then you say that MSU and Lincoln are the best DO schools "by the numbers." What those numbers are, I am unsure. Do they use them in "the biz?"

And then you finish it up by saying that all statistics are lies.

Anyway, everyone knows the best medical school is the one you got into. Which, from the looks of your posting history is Lincoln. So I'm really not shocked.

Medical schools get away with a lot they shouldn't. Like not publishing any objective numbers to rate their performance as an applicant. As a result, you are best off picking a school based on: Price, Location, and "School-Feel" in that order.

For me at LECOM-B, the price is right (ha.). The area is beautiful (I'd like to stay here post-graduation). And the "school-feel" is meh (love the students, love the staff, dislike the administration).

Actually, I was basing that on the number of students that got the residency they wanted. Lincoln admitted they were second. They've done this a couple times. I don't think they did it last year though. That said, I'd bet that MSU took first honors every year.

As for board scores, I couldn't tell you what their average board scores are. I've not looked, nor do I care. I do, however, care a bit more about do their students get a residency that they like.

I will say that you listed three reasons that are fair in picking LECOM. And for that, I cannot judge you. Just don't pick them for some statistic that is trumped up.

For what it's worth, I picked Lincoln because I liked the school. If I had to pick a defining moment, it would be when I walked by a study room (the equivalent of a PBL room) and someone wrote on the board "You are welcome to join me." I've never seen that at LECOM or USF.

If I had to have a second reason, I'd say it is the BBQ club. The dean is apparently some crazy awesome BBQ chef, and he teaches students that want to learn in a 30 foot smoker. Oddly enough, that's just crazy enough to sell me on it.

Board scores and match rates? Eh. Interesting, but it's not what I based my decision on. I don't care how everyone else does. I only care how *I* do. Maybe I'm conceited, but I have a a feeling I'll do well. I know I'll do the work, and I know I can handle it. After all, this won't be my first rodeo. With a PharmD in the tank and a masters in medical science that amounts to most of the 1st year curriculum at USF Med, I feel that I can probably handle med school most any place. If I do the work, I'll be fine. And most of the stuff I will be learning for the second time.

As an addendum, I had to pick between Lincoln, another school, or to roll the dice on a waitlist spot at University of Kentucky. I opted for Lincoln, and after I got a school I was happy with, I quit filling out secondaries.

Has anyone from the 3/27 interview heard anything?
I did and I was waitlisted.

Any new updates for anyone? Any new interviews? Does anyone know if all the seats are filled or not?

Last edited: