Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM-Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just to give a few more details about the interview day, the day started off with all the interviewees (about 25 of us?) being placed in a room and a couple of introductions being given. We were then broken up into groups and taken to the PBL rooms for our group interviews (6 of us) and these lasted about an hour. The interviewers (2 to each room) were a mix of PhDs and DOs.

In my interview, we first introduced ourselves and then we did a group project in which we had to decide what a typical day would be like by writing a timeline with each minute accounted for on the board. I think this was probably to see both how we interacted in a group and also to get the point across that PBL requires A LOT of reading/studying time.

After the project, we were really only asked one question about how we felt about PBL and if we had any experience with it during undergrad/grad school. We went around the table with each of us giving a short description of our experience and after that, the professors talked to us for a few minutes. Then we were able to ask them some questions and that was the end of the interview. To be honest, I am not sure how our interview really affected their decision on whether to accept/reject any of us. However, as readingrl said, some other groups were asked more questions.

Next, we all went back to the room and were given a presentation by Dr. Longley who is the director of PBL. We didn’t get to sit in on a PBL session since they haven’t started them yet. After that, we had a short financial aid presentation and then a break. Then they brought us lunch and we just ate and talked. After that, four 2nd year med students came and sat with us and answered all of our questions and took us on a tour.

Finally at the end of the day, we had another presentation about why LECOM-B was so good with several statistics regarding board schools, residency placement, etc. This was probably the worst part of the day. That lasted about 30 minutes and then we were given a sheet of paper that we were to check whether we wanted to be notified immediately of their decision (they said they meet next week) or wait until November 15. When you are notified, you have 30 days to submit a $1500 deposit. They did say that you are able to change your mind though, and just to email them to let them know. All in all, I was very impressed and I wish I could have set in on a PBL session, but I left with very positive impressions of the school and the faculty. The interview day itself was extremely relaxed. I’m probably leaving some info out, if I think of anything else I’ll add it later.

Hey all, I interviewed at Bradenton today and here is my general take on the day and a synopsis for those who couldn't already glean a tremendous amount of info from the thread and @HopefulDoc12 .

Like HopefulDoc12 said, the day starts off with all the intervieews in a room. Admissions will give some introductions and then you are taken upstairs for the interview. I found getting the interview out of the way right away in the AM is great because you do not have to worry about it the rest of the day. We had 6 interviewees to a room with 2 interviewers (Phd and MD for mine). Our interview group was unbelievably relaxed. The interviewers talked for about 10 minutes about themselves and their background. Then they asked us to describe ourselves, what we read/listened to on the trip to Bradenton, and another question which I cannot remember that sparked a long group discussion about the World Cup (needless to say we digressed a little). Basically our interviewers asked one question, told us they were just there to observer and wanted us to interact with each other. It was extremely chill. I did hear from other groups that their interview was more intense and they were asked typical questions like why DO, why Bradenton, and also about the Affordable Care Act so be prepared for that. Then we came back to the lounge room for a break and then headed up to the PBL rooms to observe a PBL session. This was very interesting to me as the students had been given a case and had done reading prior to the session. It was not very structured in that each student would give their thoughts and the students would be basically teaching each other and the professor was just there to ask How and Why questions and insure that the students stayed on track. If the students decided they wanted to see the results of an EKG, the facilitator would pull it up on the screen. Following that, we had another break and then we were talked to about the PBL Curriculum and how LECOM students have done so well because of it. Following that was a financial aid talk, and then lunch with student ambassadors who answer any questions you might have. And as others have confirmed it is a sandwich or wrap, a bag of chips, and soda or water. One question that seemed to be problematic in answering by the staff and ambassadors is the problem of rotations. From what I found, the students are put into a room and must figure it out themselves. They decide if they want to do it by class rank or whatever, and then they choose in an order. Another problem is that it seems like some students had problems in that some hospitals that had agreed to rotations would inform the student a week before rotations were to start that they could no longer do the rotation there. Anyway, it looks to be a problem that has not been solved. Can any current students help with this? After lunch we had a tour (anatomy lab, etc). BTW, again rumors are true the cadavers have already been dissected by professors, so no dissection by students. After the tour is a presentation by admissions about LECOM and the community and then they give you a sheet where you check a box if you want to be notified November 15th, or September 30th. Apparently they will not be informing anyone before September 30th if you interviewed on the 22nd. This seems different than others who have already interviewed and have found out acceptance or rejection or wait-list, so just a heads up for those of you still to interview. Day ended a little early as well so those who need to catch a flight should be fine. Also, check the portal ahead of time and make sure you have all your letters and everything in otherwise you will get a post it note on our info packet as soon as you walk in the door. Flustered me a little bit because I thought I had everything in, so just a heads up on that too. If anyone has anything to add feel free! I hope between HopefulDoc12 and I we covered everything you guys need to know to be prepared!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 12 users
Hey all, I interviewed at Bradenton today and here is my general take on the day and a synopsis for those who couldn't already glean a tremendous amount of info from the thread and @HopefulDoc12 .

Like HopefulDoc12 said, the day starts off with all the intervieews in a room. Admissions will give some introductions and then you are taken upstairs for the interview. I found getting the interview out of the way right away in the AM is great because you do not have to worry about it the rest of the day. We had 6 interviewees to a room with 2 interviewers (Phd and MD for mine). Our interview group was unbelievably relaxed. The interviewers talked for about 10 minutes about themselves and their background. Then they asked us to describe ourselves, what we read/listened to on the trip to Bradenton, and another question which I cannot remember that sparked a long group discussion about the World Cup (needless to say we digressed a little). Basically our interviewers asked one question, told us they were just there to observer and wanted us to interact with each other. It was extremely chill. I did hear from other groups that their interview was more intense and they were asked typical questions like why DO, why Bradenton, and also about the Affordable Care Act so be prepared for that. Then we came back to the lounge room for a break and then headed up to the PBL rooms to observe a PBL session. This was very interesting to me as the students had been given a case and had done reading prior to the session. It was not very structured in that each student would give their thoughts and the students would be basically teaching each other and the professor was just there to ask How and Why questions and insure that the students stayed on track. If the students decided they wanted to see the results of an EKG, the facilitator would pull it up on the screen. Following that, we had another break and then we were talked to about the PBL Curriculum and how LECOM students have done so well because of it. Following that was a financial aid talk, and then lunch with student ambassadors who answer any questions you might have. And as others have confirmed it is a sandwich or wrap, a bag of chips, and soda or water. One question that seemed to be problematic in answering by the staff and ambassadors is the problem of rotations. From what I found, the students are put into a room and must figure it out themselves. They decide if they want to do it by class rank or whatever, and then they choose in an order. Another problem is that it seems like some students had problems in that some hospitals that had agreed to rotations would inform the student a week before rotations were to start that they could no longer do the rotation there. Anyway, it looks to be a problem that has not been solved. Can any current students help with this? After lunch we had a tour (anatomy lab, etc). BTW, again rumors are true the cadavers have already been dissected by professors, so no dissection by students. After the tour is a presentation by admissions about LECOM and the community and then they give you a sheet where you check a box if you want to be notified November 15th, or September 30th. Apparently they will not be informing anyone before September 30th if you interviewed on the 22nd. This seems different than others who have already interviewed and have found out acceptance or rejection or wait-list, so just a heads up for those of you still to interview. Day ended a little early as well so those who need to catch a flight should be fine. Also, check the portal ahead of time and make sure you have all your letters and everything in otherwise you will get a post it note on our info packet as soon as you walk in the door. Flustered me a little bit because I thought I had everything in, so just a heads up on that too. If anyone has anything to add feel free! I hope between HopefulDoc12 and I we covered everything you guys need to know to be prepared!
So if you choose to know september 30, you have 30 days to respond. But if you choose to know October 15, you have like a week? Sorry im a little confused

Members don't see this ad :)
September 30th and November 15th were the dates that they gave us. I'm not really sure why they cannot let us know the tuesday after like groups before us. Anywho, regardless of what date you choose, they will let you know within 30 days of that date (Normally they are really quick with the turn around) if you are accepted, wait-listed, or rejected. Then, you have 30 days to put down the $1500 deposit. So to answer your question, both dates are 30 days.

Reactions: 1 users
II invite just now!

Reactions: 1 user
Interview invite today! Ill be there Friday october 3rd!

Also for people flying into the sarasota-bradenton airport, how are you getting to the med school? Taxi? Im sooo going to be broke....

I recommend renting a car for anyone flying in to Tampa or Sarasota. The taxi rates are very expensive and you will save money by just renting a car for a couple of days.

Also for people flying into the sarasota-bradenton airport, how are you getting to the med school? Taxi? Im sooo going to be broke....
I would also go to tampa and rent a car

Just confirmed my interview date for 10/29! Is anyone going on the same date? :]

Does anyone know if a principal investigator letter (who I did 2 years of research with...2 of those semesters being independent study courses for a grade... and who is also an associate professor at my schools medical center) would count as a "science professor letter"?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you getting interview invites, how long did it take from when you were complete to an ii?

Hey interviewing 10/3 anyone interested in sharing hotel room or splitting fee for a rental car? PM me if interested!

Has anyone looked at the Required Letters and Credits tab on the portal? I clicked on it and it said I had a 3 credit hour deficit for behavioral science. However, my AACOMAS doesn't show any deficits for this school and I have 15 credits listed under the Behavioral Sciences on the application. Any ideas or does anyone have a similar situation?
Yes, I have the same thing. I wouldn't worry about it until after an acceptance. When you send your official transcripts to the school, it will show which courses satisfied which GEs and/or behavioral sciences. And in the worst case scenario, you do need to take another behavioral science class, you would just need to complete it by matriculation.

Has anyone from the 8/11 interview that opted for the 1 month turn around not gotten a decision?

Got rejection letter in mail 8/30.
3.14 cGPA, 3.39 sGPA, 32 MCAT. complete 8/5

Really? :( What the heck you stats are strong though!
Well, my cGPA is a little lower, but I've got a really strong upward trend. I've seen folks with better numbers than mine rejected from LECOM-B though. They seem to have a strange selection criteria/process.

Sorry man... makes me worried about my chances here!
I wouldn't compare the acceptances here with other schools. This was not a school I wanted to go to, but one I would have. With no mission whatsoever, I'd be coming out to become a physician without a doubt, but there are too many other schools out there to worry about this one. No offense to anyone who really likes this school, but it just wasn't for me anyway.
You'll be fine. I've seen your stats, and you'll have a a good few to pick from I bet.

Hey guys, is it possible to get accepted to both the Bradenton and Erie/Seton Hill campuses? I understand that they are considered two separate schools but I read somewhere that ppl usually only get accepted to one of the two? Any thoughts? if any current student or those with experience applying here can reply that would be great! :] Has anyone gotten an II from both bradenton and erie/seton hill?
And best of luck to you all!

Last edited:
Was this pre-interview?
Yes. I submitted my secondary pretty much immediately after my primary transmitted. I was marked complete as of 8/5.
Really though, I'm not surprised, after seeing some of the other early rejections, I was expecting it from this school in particular.

Hey guys, is it possible to get accepted to both the Bradenton and Erie/Seton Hill campuses? I understand that they are considered two separate schools but I read somewhere that ppl usually only get accepted to one of the two? Any thoughts? if any current student or those with experience applying here can reply that would be great! :] Has anyone gotten an II from both bradenton and erie/seton hill?
And best of luck to you all!
It seems to be the trend to push the applicant one way or the other for interviews. Should be possible however

Got rejection letter in mail 8/30.
3.14 cGPA, 3.39 sGPA, 32 MCAT. complete 8/5
Sorry to see this. That MCAT is so nice
Really? :( What the heck you stats are strong though!
But with weaker cGPA most school expect some kind of SMP or post bacc. LECOM may not even care about this either, I haven't heard a thing from this school.

Sorry to see this. That MCAT is so nice

But with weaker cGPA most school expect some kind of SMP or post bacc. LECOM may not even care about this either, I haven't heard a thing from this school.
I don't have formal post bacc, because I never got a bachelor's degree the first time around, but I had a gap in school from 2003 until my return in 2012. In my return (2012 to present), I had over 70 hours culminating in a BS in Biochemistry with roughly 3.9 c&sGPA.
Thanks for the compliments on MCAT, it's probably saving me right now.

I don't have formal post bacc, because I never got a bachelor's degree the first time around, but I had a gap in school from 2003 until my return in 2012. In my return (2012 to present), I had over 70 hours culminating in a BS in Biochemistry with roughly 3.9 c&sGPA.
Thanks for the compliments on MCAT, it's probably saving me right now.
Yeah if you don't have any luck this cycle look into an SMP. That would make you very competitive.

Yeah if you don't have any luck this cycle look into an SMP. That would make you very competitive.
Not sure that SMP is right for my family, but I think I'll be ok. I've still got a lot of applications out there.
thanks all for the feedback.

Interview invite today.
I did apply to other schools in Florida though (Nova, UCF, Florida Atlantic), but I'm still waiting to hear from them. I'm wondering any other out of state students applied to other schools in Florida, and if y'all are making multiple trips to the sunshine state or doing that whole "I'm in town" email? How did y'all go about deciding what date to interview on?

My Stats:
cGPA: 3.57/sGPA: 3.41 /MCAT: 35
GPA is v-shaped due to extenuating circumstances during my junior year.

Interview invite today.
I did apply to other schools in Florida though (Nova, UCF, Florida Atlantic), but I'm still waiting to hear from them. I'm wondering any other out of state students applied to other schools in Florida, and if y'all are making multiple trips to the sunshine state or doing that whole "I'm in town" email? How did y'all go about deciding what date to interview on?

My Stats:
Congrats.... Keep n eye on UCF and FAU.... They could sent you some love. Nice MCAT too. Jeez what is this the MCAT superstar club?

Interview invite today.

My Stats:
I may try the in the area with USF after they process my application closer to the end of the month but I doubt it will change anything.

II!! SO excited. Scheduled for Oct 17th, wish I could have done the one in 2 weeks but it doesn't fit so great w/ my class schedule.

So - very weird, I thought I was complete on 7/28 (the day i was complete for Erie) because I went and looked at the portal. I got an email yesterday saying I was complete at Bradenton and got the II today. I guess I wasn't complete when I thought I was...? Three days ago I emailed someone who I met at a Osteopathic Medical School fair who works at LECOM, i really wonder if that's what pushed my application forward? I can't say! I just hope this information is useful to someone reading

Was complete 8/25 here. Does anyone know when reviews of applications around this date occur? Should I consider calling them?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile

So - very weird, I thought I was complete on 7/28 (the day i was complete for Erie) because I went and looked at the portal. I got an email yesterday saying I was complete at Bradenton and got the II today. I guess I wasn't complete when I thought I was...? Three days ago I emailed someone who I met at a Osteopathic Medical School fair who works at LECOM, i really wonder if that's what pushed my application forward? I can't say! I just hope this information is useful to someone reading
Yeah I got that email two days ago too! But no II yet. What are your stats?

Yeah I got that email two days ago too! But no II yet. What are your stats?
Then I'm hoping yours is on your way soon!

I have 3.2 s and cGPA, 32 MCAT.

Rejection letter from them today :-( IS, 3.46 cGPA 3.65 sGPA 28 MCAT. Not letting it get me down, I got an II from another DO school last week.
I got a snail mail reject also. Similar stats to you. GL to all who remain!

This medical school thread is busy! I like it. Got an II on Tuesday 9/2/14. Here goes my stats: IS, B.A. in Chemistry, Conc. in Biochemistry, Minor in Biology, 1.5 years of nucleotide chemistry and antibiotic synthesis research, 3 physician shadowing internships (all MDs), extensive community service, private science tutor, strong letters of recommendation + committee letter, cGPA 3.45, sGPA 3.55, and MCAT 32. Hope the interview goes well and best wishes to everyone applying.

This medical school thread is busy! I like it. Got an II on Tuesday 9/2/14. Here goes my stats: IS, B.A. in Chemistry, Conc. in Biochemistry, Minor in Biology, 1.5 years of nucleotide chemistry and antibiotic synthesis research, 3 physician shadowing internships (all MDs), extensive community service, private science tutor, strong letters of recommendation + committee letter, cGPA 3.45, sGPA 3.55, and MCAT 32. Hope the interview goes well and best wishes to everyone applying.

Dude, you will likely get many many ii's, and probably even a handful of MD ones. Don't sweat it and nice work.

Should I be worried I've been complete since August 15th and still haven't heard a word?

My portal status changed to

The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days.

This is pre interview. Can I assume this is a rejection? Also, I submitted my secondary at Eerie around the same time but it still says under review.

The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days.

This is pre interview. Can I assume this is a rejection? Also, I submitted my secondary at Eerie around the same time but it still says under review.

would like to know this also...

I believe that status change is a denial via snail mail. (not 100% sure though)

For those that received ii's here...what did your portal say before the official ii came?