Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM - Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
We had a group interview session then a 10 minute one-on-one interview with another volunteer/faculty that led a group interview for another set of interviewees. My MMI was very relaxed but it felt rushed as our discussion was abruptly ended as LECOM tries to keep a strong hand on the times of the itinerary.

Members don't see this ad.

This story is not common. I'm going to tell you, that international students have much more difficulty getting in than US Citizens or Permanent Residents. I'm sure there are international students who do get into LECOM, but they probably have stats that are better than US citizen MD matriculants.

What were your stats when you applied?
Being an international applicant, I am well aware of how difficult it is to get in - and I COMPLETELY understand and agree with the reasons of this situation being this way. When I quoted my experience with LECOM, I clearly did not mean to be judgmental. I am not disturbed by the fact that I wasn't accepted. LECOM like every other school has the right to deny admissions on any ground and not disclose that. I am actually talking about the transparency at the level of giving information before even an applicant applies. Their rules as you read are very loose - 'individual basis' to be precise. They just ask you to contact the Admissions office, who have given conflicting answers to me in the past. I was told when I called and personally toured both the Erie and Seton Hill campus that they have accepted international applicants in 2013 batch (this happened before even I applied). But when the Director emailed me saying they had not accepted any in past 6 years (after I applied), as an applicant, it was really tough to establish a consensus. Also, the director, before even an interview was granted emailed me talking about 'LECOM connection'- again something very vague and wasn't clarified. I also tried to set up a meeting with him to understand this after last cycle, but he refused to meet. All other schools have their academic bulletin published online, where you will find a section dedicated to International applicants, that addresses whether or not the school accepts any, procedure and sometimes statistics on matriculating international applicants. LECOM does have one but does not say anything on this topic. However, to my surprise, I was still offered an interview at the Seton Hill campus after the Director (from Erie) clearly told me that they give 'preference' to US citizens irrespective of the profile. Few days (actually 5 days if I remember correctly), the administrator from Seton Hill emailed me saying that it had just come to their notice that the Director had told me bla bla...which means the office at Seton Hill was unaware of the Director's email to me and hence had sent an interview not realizing I was an international applicant. I was never rejected, as I expected. I was wait-listed. Again, even if I had gotten a clear rejection, it was OK. I am not questioning that. I am questioning the process before that.

Also, my postbacc experience was in my eyes really not a matter a pride for an established school such as LECOM. Just do not accept an application and the fee after taking in the citizenship info, if the program is actually not open to any international applicants (as the Director clearly stated on his email when I emailed him with that question)! Its time, money and energy in the drain for the applicant!

Again, I am really sorry, if I have hurt any of your sentiments for LECOM. Its a great school - I have no doubts about it. Its only its attitude in dealing with this small applicant pool of internationals, which is not transparent. And anything that is not transparent is fine as far as things go in the right direction, but it can really be misleading if the track is lost - and this to some applicants comes at a huge cost as far as decision making is concerned!

I interviewed there too...The mmi was more of just a short personal interview plus an ethics question. Only 10 min long. Overall I got a very weird vibe there though. It felt like they produce incredible graduates, but found it absurd that students can't have water in class or the library lol

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What are some of ya'll impressions post-interview?
(Money is tight and I don't know if I should send my primary.)
Also, does anyone know if students at LECOM-B rotate at the big Largo Hospital or is it Nova students?

Also, does anyone know if students at LECOM-B rotate at the big Largo Hospital or is it Nova students?
If it's Largo Medical Center then yes the paper they handed us showed that LECOM-B students do rotate there.

The school seems very excellent at what they do with test scores being the evidence but you have to be a student who can learn mostly by reading from a textbook and be able to apply what you read to the problem cases that you work on weekly. A small negative is the strict atmosphere, with no food or drinks anywhere aside from the cafeteria and dress code, the school seems to breathe throughout the halls. Oh, also the school is exceptionally clean.

you have to lug around 6-7 textbooks. Most students have a bag with wheels and carry their books to thier PBL session.

Verified late July....my status is still "We received your supplemental application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made."....is this normal?

Verified late July....my status is still "We received your supplemental application. The review process will begin on your file. You will be notified when updates are made."....is this normal?

Yes that is normal…it just means that they haven't decided on your application yet. Your stats are not good enough to warrant an interview right away, so they're going to wait to see what others apply with before they decide on you.

I interviewed there too...The mmi was more of just a short personal interview plus an ethics question. Only 10 min long. Overall I got a very weird vibe there though. It felt like they produce incredible graduates, but found it absurd that students can't have water in class or the library lol

Wish I had read this before I read the others, freaked out, and bought an mmi prep book. Oh well, maybe it will come in handy for some other schools....

After interviewing here (8/7) they told us that if you are rejected or waitlisted, you will be notified of that earlier than f you were accepted. So here's hopin I don't receive anything until 10/1

Also for my fellow people who have had interviews, did you send thank you notes or e-mails? I interviewed 8/7 and since there were two interviewers all we were given were their names and the thought never crossed my mind until someone brought it up. Would it be too late to write one now?

Members don't see this ad :)
II this morning!! I interview at Seton Hill on Sep 15 and Bradenton on Oct 23....does anyone know if this will cause problems? That is, I don't want to have to decide whether to attend SH until I know the verdict from Bradenton. Anyone who might know, your advice is extremely appreciated!!

Also, good luck to everyone else! Stay optimistic; I've been complete here for what seems like ever!

Today, I got a text that said my application has begun the review process (I submitted my secondary July 31st). After I got the text, my folder items appeared and my application status changed to "your application has been processed and will be sent to the Admissions Committee for further review. You will be notified as soon as a decision has been made." Did that happen to anyone else? I'm hoping it means I'll be offered an interview. I love the Bradenton area!

Today, I got a text that said my application has begun the review process (I submitted my secondary July 31st). After I got the text, my folder items appeared and my application status changed to "your application has been processed and will be sent to the Admissions Committee for further review. You will be notified as soon as a decision has been made." Did that happen to anyone else? I'm hoping it means I'll be offered an interview. I love the Bradenton area!
For me the status was something along the lines of "Review will begin on your file". It then changed straight to Interview offered. I scheduled my interview and about a week or so later I got the text saying "your application has been processed and will be sent for further review". My status still said Interview offered. That text was sent to a few other people who already had II, they posted about it in this thread. I think it was a glitch in their system at the time.

Thats just my experience, doesn't really mean anything one way or the other about your chances.

Yes I got that text yesterday too! Finally I've had everything submitted since July 16.

I liked the school. EVERYONE at the school (students, faculty, admissions people) made it very clear that LECOM B is a great place for an education if and only if you're self-motivated and are really willing to put the time in. The students kept reiterating how they don't have to know certain things for the exams, rather that they have to know EVERYTHING.

It definitely is a "strict atmosphere" like others have said; they really put a premium on professionalism. But, if you're only going in for 2 hour sessions 3x a week, I think you can deal with the dress code and lack of food/water. I guess that's the price you pay for those board scores - that and having to read 8-10 hours a day haha. (They mentioned some of the students this past year scored 800+ on COMLEX level 1, which is pretty absurd. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure those are outliers, but their average is still pretty high relatively ~572 for c/o 2016).

Sitting in on the PBL session was informative for me, but I had a facilitator that was actually involved in the process and didn't simply click on buttons when asked. I can see how not getting any feedback from a facilitator would dampen the value of the PBL sessions but honestly, you're going to have to start figuring things out for yourself at some point; I'm a fan of getting this experience in early so I don't look/act like a scrub during rotations.

The surrounding area is great and relatively inexpensive from what I've gathered. They said Bradenton is a big retirement community but I didn't get that feeling when I looked around for the 2 days I was there. Also, the #1 beach in the US is a 10 min drive from campus (don't ask me how they rank beaches, I'm just as confused as you are) and apparently it's #2 in the world. I didn't think it was anything special but it was kind of gloomy when I checked it out. Either way, it's a great free resource to unwind with after exams (it seems like the students really work hard for the breaks they take, which is something I like).

My 2 cents from the interview day, hope it helps!

Reactions: 4 users
I liked the school. EVERYONE at the school (students, faculty, admissions people) made it very clear that LECOM B is a great place for an education if and only if you're self-motivated and are really willing to put the time in. The students kept reiterating how they don't have to know certain things for the exams, rather that they have to know EVERYTHING.

It definitely is a "strict atmosphere" like others have said; they really put a premium on professionalism. But, if you're only going in for 2 hour sessions 3x a week, I think you can deal with the dress code and lack of food/water. I guess that's the price you pay for those board scores - that and having to read 8-10 hours a day haha. (They mentioned some of the students this past year scored 800+ on COMLEX level 1, which is pretty absurd. Don't get me wrong, I'm sure those are outliers, but their average is still pretty high relatively ~572 for c/o 2016).

Sitting in on the PBL session was informative for me, but I had a facilitator that was actually involved in the process and didn't simply click on buttons when asked. I can see how not getting any feedback from a facilitator would dampen the value of the PBL sessions but honestly, you're going to have to start figuring things out for yourself at some point; I'm a fan of getting this experience in early so I don't look/act like a scrub during rotations.

The surrounding area is great and relatively inexpensive from what I've gathered. They said Bradenton is a big retirement community but I didn't get that feeling when I looked around for the 2 days I was there. Also, the #1 beach in the US is a 10 min drive from campus (don't ask me how they rank beaches, I'm just as confused as you are) and apparently it's #2 in the world. I didn't think it was anything special but it was kind of gloomy when I checked it out. Either way, it's a great free resource to unwind with after exams (it seems like the students really work hard for the breaks they take, which is something I like).

Siesta Key Beach? It's amazing. It really is. White sand that is as smooth as baby powder.

Hey. Thank you, so much, for your response.
I really like the tuition of LECOM (haha, doesn't everyone?) and the board scores. It also looks like they are beginning to make some solid connections in Florida because I know Largo is a huge teaching hospital in the state and another poster mentioned that students do rotations there.
When I visited the 2 DO school in my state, the students seemed really jaded and it felt more like a commuter school. Did you get this impression during the interview? Did you feel like the students were close to one another?

I really like the tuition of LECOM (haha, doesn't everyone?) and the board scores. It also looks like they are beginning to make some solid connections in Florida because I know Largo is a huge teaching hospital in the state and another poster mentioned that students do rotations there.
When I visited the 2 DO school in my state, the students seemed really jaded and it felt more like a commuter school. Did you get this impression during the interview? Did you feel like the students were close to one another?

Which state?

Yea I had some mixed feelings about LECOM-B when I first interviewed there, but after thinking about it, it seems like a good school to go to especially if Largo is a large teaching hospital.

Siesta Key Beach? It's amazing. It really is. White sand that is as smooth as baby powder.

Yup Siesta Key. It was kind of damp because it had rained before I got there but I can definitely see that!

Yea I had some mixed feelings about LECOM-B when I first interviewed there, but after thinking about it, it seems like a good school to go to especially if Largo is a large teaching hospital.

I'm not sure I would get my hopes up too high about having rotations at Largo... they don't really seem to have a transparent policy when it comes to who gets what rotation spots and I'm sure they're limited at Largo. Even one of the second year students I talked to didn't know how they placed people in rotations (she said they might be finding out in the coming weeks) but guessed that it was based on class rank. That said, if you're a badass and crush your exams, you won't have to worry about getting good rotations (unless it's based on a lottery system, then you're SOL: hint - the "S" doesn't stand for "sore"...). They also explicitly state that they won't know which organizations they'll have for your rotations until your second year.

Apparently you can set up your own rotations wherever you want.... don't really know how this works, I would defer comment to a current student on all the rotation stuff, they didn't give much info.

I didn't get the feeling that this was a "commuter school"... then again, not really sure what that entails haha. The students that I talked to seemed to have good friends that they studied with and hung out with when they got the chance (rare, I think). If you look into their PBL program, you're placed in a group with a new set of 8 people every semester, so I guess that deters from people being super cliquey with their PBL groups only. All this being said, you don't really have "class" together so it is what you make of it. I got the impression that most people study on their own and get together for some review every once in a while. The student ambassadors that helped us out were pretty outgoing and nice, but that's probably why they did that gig in the first place haha. Again, I defer to anyone who actually goes/went here for MS1 and 2.

FWIW, I wouldn't mind going here haha

Reactions: 1 users
How bad of a sign is it that my application at LECOM - Bradenton has been complete since July 22nd and is still under review? I'm not normally one to pull this neurotic stuff, but it just seems odd considering that people with similar completion dates have gotten rejections and IIs.

same with me!! i dont think its a bad thing since we haven't been rejected! Maybe our stats aren't good enough to warrant an II right away and they're just waiting to see who else comes along lol

I know that LECOM is also accepting ACT/SAT scores in combination with your gpa to come up with an academic index score... does anyone know how to submit the ACT/SAT scores? is there a place on the secondary that gives you the option to list them?

Just received the text saying "your application is under review". Fingers crossed for a II...

Checked my status on the portal and it says "Your file will be re-reviewed in 60 days".

At least it isn't a rejection....I guess.

I would reconsider going here...I was told by a few friends who are current students that some stuff went down earlier this week (I think it might have been yesterday even) with the faculty and administration and you would be HIGHLY advised to not attend.

Current students can chime in to give more details.

I would reconsider going here...I was told by a few friends who are current students that some stuff went down earlier this week (I think it might have been yesterday even) with the faculty and administration and you would be HIGHLY advised to not attend.

I only know one person here and they are now desperately looking to transfer. They didn't divulge any details though.

I have a friend here who told me that they basically changed the PBL grading policy last minute where students now rank each other anonymously and that ranking goes into consideration when the facilitator makes the grades. It's a way, apparently, for the professor to get some input on how the students interact with one another during/outside of PBL (group work, noncooperative participation in PBL, etc.). Basically, if you were a bi*** during PBL and didn't cooperate or didn't help out group members equally, you'll be ranked low by the other 7 students in the group and you'll grade will suffer a little. If you helped everyone, gave everyone a chance to speak, shared helpful resources, etc, you will be ranked higher and it can help your grade. But, keep in mind that the facilitator's participation grade only counts for about 20% of your PBL grade. They gave this a "test run" in Erie last year with a few groups and they saw that it didn't impact anyone's grade except the student that averages at the top and the student that averaged at the bottom.
I think many students are panicking because, due to the slightly competitive nature of LECOM (remember, students get assigned rotation sites based on GPA), people are concerned about being ranked lower or about past behavior inside/outside classroom that could negatively impact their rank.
^ SOurce: current OMSI at LECOM-B

Reactions: 3 users
I have a friend here who told me that they basically changed the PBL grading policy last minute where students now rank each other anonymously and that ranking goes into consideration when the facilitator makes the grades. It's a way, apparently, for the professor to get some input on how the students interact with one another during/outside of PBL (group work, noncooperative participation in PBL, etc.). Basically, if you were a bi*** during PBL and didn't cooperate or didn't help out group members equally, you'll be ranked low by the other 7 students in the group and you'll grade will suffer a little. If you helped everyone, gave everyone a chance to speak, shared helpful resources, etc, you will be ranked higher and it can help your grade. But, keep in mind that the facilitator's participation grade only counts for about 20% of your PBL grade. They gave this a "test run" in Erie last year with a few groups and they saw that it didn't impact anyone's grade except the student that averages at the top and the student that averaged at the bottom.
I think many students are panicking because, due to the slightly competitive nature of LECOM (remember, students get assigned rotation sites based on GPA), people are concerned about being ranked lower or about past behavior inside/outside classroom that could negatively impact their rank.
^ SOurce: current OMSI at LECOM-B

I think rotation sites assigned by GPA is beyond silly. Some students, openly, only strive for passing grades in their pre-clinical years and instead use the majority of their time studying for boards. Which isn't a bad strategy given the enormous weight placed on board scores in residency matches.

The recent updates with student ranking other members of the PBL group is entirely a trial run. The rankings aren't supposed to have any impact on grades at this time and exactly how that would be used is still to be decided. PBL grades are still predominantly based on test grades (80-90%). Facilitator grades generally have a positive impact on PBL scores, I haven't heard of anyone getting below and 80% on their facilitator grades. There was also a pretty tremendous uproar from students, so I could see the whole thing being scraped.

random OMS-II

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
People seem to be making a larger issue of it than it really was. Our current 4th year class had a significant failure rate for step 2 (15%) which really shouldn't ever happen. Administration decided to replace the course director of clinical exam with our current OMM course director. The decision may have been reactionary as I believe the results of Step 2 were just released in the past couple of weeks. Part of the concern is that our OMM director has been predominantly involved with academia so he doesn't have the same level of clinical experience the previous director had. The other major issue is that the clinical exam course is really only part of the pre-clinical years, so Step 2 failure is probably more of a factor of rotation site quality and student involvement than the clinical exam course.
[...]
random OMS-II

How can a school that has a Step 1 average of 570+ w/ 100% pass on first attempt have a 15% failure rate for Step 2? That's a little concerning.

Reactions: 2 users
haha new to sdn, I thought to follow a forum you had to reply to it? still not totally sure what I'm doing :unsure:
Look at the top of the thread, around the right side it says "Unwatch Thread, Previous Thread, Next Thread". For a thread you haven't replied to yet instead of "Unwatch Thead" it will say "Watch Thread". Click on it and you automatically follow it.

hey did they ask you for a USAA card upon picking up the car? also which company did you use?
Nope they don't ask for a card. I used Hertz because they offered the largest discount with the USAA code.

So what is the interview format now? Group interview and then a one on one as well? I have seen MMI mentioned. Is it real MMI as in you are given a prompt to read and then go into a room and discuss the prompt?

So what is the interview format now? Group interview and then a one on one as well? I have seen MMI mentioned. Is it real MMI as in you are given a prompt to read and then go into a room and discuss the prompt?

Depends on your group. Mine was all completely group. They just threw a scenario out there and watched us interact with each other. Some groups had individual questions asked first, and at the end threw out the group question for all of us to discuss.

Depends on your group. Mine was all completely group. They just threw a scenario out there and watched us interact with each other. Some groups had individual questions asked first, and at the end threw out the group question for all of us to discuss.

Ok sounds exactly like the Erie interview. Thanks!

same format in my interview.

Apparently I got rejected at Bradenton (letter w/in 30 days), but got a II at the other LECOM. Does anyone know if this school is receptive to appeals on decisions? I really like the bradenton campus as well.

So sorry about the rejection - bummer. How did you find out?