Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM - Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Makes sense. I guess thats good. Its just frustrating not hearing back from schools when others are getting interviews/acceptances.
One thing I am noticing though is that there is less and less interview invites being offered to people with later submission dates than your. In other words they are getting the apps in a organized order and are not reviewing later apps before earlier apps

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all. I was wondering how long it takes from the time your application is verified by AACOMAS to receive the secondary for LECOM Bradenton. I have a 500 on the new MCAT, also a 26 on the old MCAT. (3.75 cumulative GPA, 4.0 non science, 3.66 science gpa). Back in February I received a recruiting email from LECOM. I'm not that confident now based on going through this thread. I'm waiting to receive my secondary from this school and even then I'm wondering what my chances for an interview are now. verified by AACOMAS was completed yesterday :/

Last edited by a moderator:
Any verdict on calling in for a decision even if you chose the Nov 15th option?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I'm going to put a deposit down at this school and forgo my CUSOM acceptance...
Taking LECOM-B over CCOM and CUSOM? I would have bet you were going to CUSOM over LECOM. You were super enthusiastic about it!

Taking LECOM-B over CCOM and CUSOM? I would have bet you were going to CUSOM over LECOM. You were super enthusiastic about it!

Well I haven't gotten the scholarship yet from them, so paying $12k more per year isn't worth it for CUSOM over LECOM.

I am going for CCOM, but my parents say that things may change financially and it is best to hold a spot for LECOM now because it is the cheapest school. I will put down a deposit for CCOM when it is due and I'm sure RowanSOM isn't in my cards.

I guess what I mean is that I need more time to decide, and I can't just let LECOM go just yet. Paying off loans is pretty significant.

Last edited:
Thank you! I'm so excited! I love this school :love:
Keep us updated!

I will be pondering who you could have been :p

@GreenEyedGirl I'm so happy for you! I think I was in your interview group as well. Do you by any chance have blonde hair, or short reddish hair?
So, my portal reads "Your file is in under review by the Admissions Committee post interview. You will be notified by mail of the decision by the Admissions Committee.". Acceptance? I delayed until the Nov 15 date. Deadlines scare me. ;)

Last edited:
CONGRATS! I also cried :) Is this one of your top choices? I'm so excited to meet possible future classmates!

Thank you :).

Yes, it is! I hope a Facebook page is made soon so we can all get to know each other!

@GreenEyedGirl I'm so happy for you! I think I was in your interview group as well. Do you by any chance have blonde hair, or short reddish hair?
So, my portal reads "Your file is in under review by the Admissions Committee post interview. You will be notified by mail of the decision by the Admissions Committee.". Acceptance? I delayed until the Nov 15 date. Deadlines scare me. ;)

thank you :).

I was wearing a pink blouse and have short reddish hair.

Edit: they said if your portal doesn't change to "letter in the mail" this week you are accepted! That's what I gathered and least!

Accepted yesterday! I called the school, couldn't wait for the letter :)

Reactions: 2 users
I know I'm late to the party, but I got accepted on Oct. 5th. Looking forward to meeting you all.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Did you choose November 15?
I interviewed on 10/5 and chose the early decision option. If I'm not mistaken, the "30 day decision" for the deposit begins 30 days once the acceptance letter was sent in the mail. Thus my "early decision" group has until 11/12, while those whom chose November 15th have until December 15th for the deposit.

Yeah I'm interested to know if Nov 15 people can call and ask and, if so, does that start the 30 day clock ticking for deposits?
Per Ron Shively (during the interview process), you can call to obtain your admission status, but that would cause the "30 day countdown" to begin at that time (since you're essentially asking to switch from "Nov 15" to "early decision" status).

Reactions: 1 user
I am so tempted to call and ask!

Congratulations to those that have been accepted thus far.

Have any of you been accepted but still lacked a pre-req that will be completed before matriculation?

I submitted my AACOMAS to this school over a week ago and still no secondary... blah

I know it's still early in the application cycle, but did anyone get an App Status that says:
"Your file will be re-reviewed by the Admissions Committee in 60 days."

I'm not sure why I got this. I've gotten an II for LECOM. Is LECOM-B harder to get into?

just got an interview invite today 3.8 cgpa 3.76 sgpa 502 mcat and IS. i heard rumors that they were getting rid of the group interviews but after reading through some of this thread, im assuming everything is still group interview?

Interviewed back on the second (I believe) interview day, and just got my acceptance letter in the mail today! Won't be accepting the offer, so I hope it goes to one of you who fits better with this school!

just got an interview invite today 3.8 cgpa 3.76 sgpa 502 mcat and IS. i heard rumors that they were getting rid of the group interviews but after reading through some of this thread, im assuming everything is still group interview?

I know after my interview they gave us an optional, anonymous survey because they wanted to make sure we felt like the interviews represented us well and such.

I think they will always have a group interview because they to want you see how you work in groups (due to the PBL curriculum). The group interview goes by very fast and are not stressful :). The mmi was very relaxed and conversational too!

Edit: congrats on your interview too!! :D

Does the school require a drug test from accepting students?

Does the school require a drug test from accepting students?
I'm cracking up at this question. You really, really shouldn't be doing drugs if you're planning on becoming a physician… :nono:
I think most schools do drug test their students prior to matriculation, but I'm not totally sure about LECOM. I know a guy who failed a random drug test at another school midway through his first year and was released.

You need a full physical prior to matriculation. LECOM says they do "random drug tests," though of the few 3rd year students I know, none of them were tested prior to orientation (doesn't mean other's weren't!). I know for certain though that prior to rotation and residency matching you get drug tested (usually hair follicle- Hospital policy). But I agree with @Torilynn92, if you're serious about becoming a physician just don't risk it.

@thenoodledance OMG, the hair follicle testing is going to make my goodie-two-shoes soul so happy. Justiceee <cackles evilly, eyeballing all the Adderall-popping, drug-abusing pre-meds from undergrad>

:shifty:

Reactions: 1 users
Alright everyone I think I have cracked the LECOM portal code.... I recently had my interview and based on what we were told and the info given on this forum, this is my insight:

**This does not necessarily apply to those who have interviewed before October.**

The LECOM Admissions meets every Tuesday. Portal status changes may occur more often on Tuesdays or Wednesdays, just my assumption.

If you decided to have your decision notification be postponed until Nov 15th:
Your portal status will not change from "Your file is in under review by the Admissions Committee post interview.." if you have been accepted until on or around Nov 15th. By Nov 15th, your status will change to "A decision has been made...30 days.."

For those who have been rejected or waitlisted, your portal status will change to "A decision has been made...." either on or around the Tuesday nearest to your interview date, even if you chose to be notified by Nov 15th. Those decisions are sent out immediately.

If you decided to have your decision notification early:
Once the Adcom makes a decision, whether accepted, waitlisted or rejected, your status will change to
"A decision has been made...30 days.." You'll have to actually open the letter to see your decision.

Please note I could be dead wrong;)

That was my thinking too; I interviewed on Sept. 29th (a Wednesday) and my status didn't change until today (Oct. 15). I got the "A decision has been made...30 days," and I chose Nov. 15 as my decision date, so I'm not exactly sure what to think.

Hoping for the best but I'd assume this is still a rejection/waitlist!

That was my thinking too; I interviewed on Sept. 29th (a Wednesday) and my status didn't change until today (Oct. 15). I got the "A decision has been made...30 days," and I chose Nov. 15 as my decision date, so I'm not exactly sure what to think.

Hoping for the best but I'd assume this is still a rejection/waitlist!
Since your portal changed you can probably call and ask instead of waiting for the mail.

Hmmm I'm pretty shy... I'm worried about the group interview lol

Hmmm I'm pretty shy... I'm worried about the group interview lol

I'm pretty shy too and everyone made it really comfortable! My group interview was very conversational and relaxed :). Try not too stress too much!

I'm pretty shy too and everyone made it really comfortable! My group interview was very conversational and relaxed :). Try not too stress too much!

hey do you have any tips on how to prepare for the interview? i know that lecoms interviews are not like traditional med school interviews and from people i know who go there or interview there, they just ask you your stance on a specific scenario. should I just brush up on my knowledge of popular current topics in the health care field? could I pm you if you prefer that?

I posted this on the Erie page but thought I'd try to get input from the Bradenton page too.
Does anyone have any comments on the differences between the Erie campus and the Bradenton campus (besides location and teaching methods). I like PBL and wanted to know the differences in available resources for students in Erie vs. Bradenton by students that might have interviewed/visited either campus. It seems that Erie campus is much larger with a more robust list of faculty. Do Erie students participate in research more than Bradenton students. I like the location of Erie and its proximity to Cleveland but I've heard that Bradenton students do much better on boards and matching for some reason. Does anyone have any explanation for this or could someone comment on the differences in opportunities (research, shadowing, involvement, etc). (I didn't want to waste another thread for this haha). You can private message me if you like.
Thank you,
Ioannes.
Just going to bump this because I don't want to attend both interviews! haha

In my opinion I would attend both interviews if there is any way you can. I don't know how many other interviews you have gotten or if you have been accepted yet, but until you receive an acceptance I would recommend going to both that way you have the best shot at getting in. Each campus has its own pros and cons and it is nice to see it and explore for yourself so you can gain an opinion of the place.

If you plan to do research during your first two ears, Bradenton campus is probably not the best choice. When I interviewed I asked a few second year students about research opportunities, and they basically said there are few to none and most of the faculty don't really do research.

Accepted! Yay :soexcited:
I called on Wednesday but I got my letter today

Reactions: 4 users
hey do you have any tips on how to prepare for the interview? i know that lecoms interviews are not like traditional med school interviews and from people i know who go there or interview there, they just ask you your stance on a specific scenario. should I just brush up on my knowledge of popular current topics in the health care field? could I pm you if you prefer that?

It wouldn't hurt to brush up on current topics in healthcare either way! You want to your interviewers to know that you know what you're getting into and can work it into almost any interview based on the questions they ask

If you plan to do research during your first two ears, Bradenton campus is probably not the best choice. When I interviewed I asked a few second year students about research opportunities, and they basically said there are few to none and most of the faculty don't really do research.
ugh I've heard that too but I know that Erie doesn't have research either. It's interesting how well Bradenton students to in the match but their school offers no sponsored research opportunities. In the last cycle, 3 out of 5 matches to the Ortho Surgery residency at Doctor's (in Columbus, Ohio) were Bradenton students (One of the most competitive DO Ortho programs in the nation). Maybe research isn't that important in matching competitive fields as it once was? Or maybe research during the summer of years 1 and 2 are enough..not sure.

ugh I've heard that too but I know that Erie doesn't have research either. It's interesting how well Bradenton students to in the match but their school offers no sponsored research opportunities. In the last cycle, 3 out of 5 matches to the Ortho Surgery residency at Doctor's (in Columbus, Ohio) were Bradenton students (One of the most competitive DO Ortho programs in the nation). Maybe research isn't that important in matching competitive fields as it once was? Or maybe research during the summer of years 1 and 2 are enough..not sure.
No, research is definitely still as important...but remember only your first two years are on campus...so your entire third year you have the opportunity to do research at whichever hospitals you rotate through

Accepted as well! Can't wait to start :)

Reactions: 3 users
Hello all! Any idea on a cheap place to stay in/near Bradenton for a few days? Thank you in advance!

I stayed at best western it included breakfast and was really close like 10 min drive it was $80-$90
I heard the holiday inn gives u a shuttle ride if u need a car but I'm not sure call and ask some hotels also give you a lecom discount

Hello all! Any idea on a cheap place to stay in/near Bradenton for a few days? Thank you in advance!

I stayed in the holiday inn. It has a shuttle that would take students to LECOM. They also offered to store your belongings if you were checking out that morning, which I thought was nice. They had a buffet style breakfast that was included too. In the interview invite email, they send you a list of hotels that offer LECOM discounts. I'd call a couple of those up and see how much they are and what they include.

Thanks! I think I need to start researching!