Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM - Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
As well, I'll be in the area early, if anyone wants to grab a beer or hit the beach, PM me!

Members don't see this ad.

Interviewed here on 10/16. By overwhelming majority, professors and students alike say that the main focus of this school is the PBL curriculum and it shows in their stellar board scores. Not a lot of school support for rotations, one professor said that 60-70% of students would be on their own to schedule rotations. This means that you pretty much have to be in the top quarter of a smart class to get the year long sites. The entire school is a large, spotless building with new equipment and a modern feel. With the strict dress code and emphasis on professionalism, my personal perception of the students and faculty was kind of Gattica-esque. A little formal and distant, it seemed to be strictly business like. This may seem like a nitpicking detail, but I don't remember seeing any comfortable chairs in the entire building. Maybe a reminder to focus and not fall asleep? ;) jkjk. Anyway, as you've probably gathered I'm not a huge fan of this school. The formal atmosphere and strict rules are a turnoff for me, and PBL seems to be effective but definitely unique method for a medical school curriculum. But they have the best board scores in the country, so what do I know... Go here if you really value order and strict professionalism in school and don't mind wearing business professional all the time and REALLY LOVE PBL. For what it's worth, go to Cafe Havana (Cuban) and Full Belly Burger while you're down there! Those two places made the trip for me :)

Reactions: 1 user
Hello all! Any idea on a cheap place to stay in/near Bradenton for a few days? Thank you in advance!
If you have a ride, check Airbnb. There's a really nice place ~10 mins from campus (was cheaper than the "good" hotels, too). If not, staying at one of the hotels with the shuttles might be the way to go.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone know the chances at an acceptance with an interview at this point?

Quick question. For someone that was granted an II last week, what dates were available? November, December, January...

Just paid that first deposit. Here we go...

Really want to go to this school.. secondary sent in yesterday as soon as i got the email for it, I was wondering about the "Early Decision" or "early acceptance" interview dates. Who qualifies for this/ how do you apply early decision?

Really want to go to this school.. secondary sent in yesterday as soon as i got the email for it, I was wondering about the "Early Decision" or "early acceptance" interview dates. Who qualifies for this/ how do you apply early decision?

I believe it's already too late for early decision...the early decision was for those who interviewed before end of September and decisions mailed out by end of September, first week of October.

I believe it's already too late for early decision...the early decision was for those who interviewed before end of September and decisions mailed out by end of September, first week of October.
You don't have the option to decide on early decision until you get to the actual interview anyway

Can anyone please explain how the 3rd and 4th year rotations work? Do you have to set up sites on your own during the third year? Do you have to move to a different site for each core rotation or do you spend the entire 3rd year at a single hospital completing all core rotations?

Can anyone please explain how the 3rd and 4th year rotations work? Do you have to set up sites on your own during the third year? Do you have to move to a different site for each core rotation or do you spend the entire 3rd year at a single hospital completing all core rotations?

Above there was a lecom_throwaway account, who is an M3-M4. I think it be best to ask him or her because they have experience with it.

Has anyone who interviewed last friday been able to contact Annette today? I'm trying to see if I can cancel an interview I wouldnt go to if I got in here. Portal says decision has been made but no one answered when I called

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who interviewed last friday been able to contact Annette today? I'm trying to see if I can cancel an interview I wouldnt go to if I got in here. Portal says decision has been made but no one answered when I called

My friend (who interviewed last Friday) called this morning and got his decision over the phone. Maybe she is at lunch? I would call again later.

I agree ^^^ she is definitely at lunch. Try again at 1:30 east coast time

"Your file is in under review by the Admissions Committee post interview. You will be notified by mail of the decision by the Admissions Committee."

Is this a rejection?

"Your file is in under review by the Admissions Committee post interview. You will be notified by mail of the decision by the Admissions Committee."

Is this a rejection?

That's the generic portal status you get after you interview. It should changed to "a decision has been made" eventually. Once it chances to a decision has been made, you will receive your decision in the mail (but it seems many were able to call and get it over the phone).

They told us at my interview that they discuss files on Tuesday.

I interviewed last Friday as well and I tried calling yesterday, but got voicemail. I tried again this morning, and voicemail again. I think she is out of town perhaps?

does anybody know how the parking works there? are interviewees allowed to park or is it only for students and faculty/people with a permit

does anybody know how the parking works there? are interviewees allowed to park or is it only for students and faculty/people with a permit
You're welcome to use the regular parking lot, be sure to enter through the security entrance, you'll need to buzz in and sign in

Above there was a lecom_throwaway account, who is an M3-M4. I think it be best to ask him or her because they have experience with it.

@lecom_throwaway can you chime in?

Does anyone know if Annette is out of town or something? Everytime I call, I get voicemail. I sent my deposit in a week ago and still haven't received a delivery receipt.

FWIW, the Dean of Clinical Education told our group that LECOM-B is moving towards a more traditional model with year-long clerkships in teaching hospitals (in partnership with LECOM) mainly in Florida and phasing out shorter student-organized traveling rotations at independent hospitals where students are essentially "attending physicians".

FWIW, the Dean of Clinical Education told our group that LECOM-B is moving towards a more traditional model with year-long clerkships in teaching hospitals (in partnership with LECOM) mainly in Florida and phasing out shorter student-organized traveling rotations at independent hospitals where students are essentially "attending physicians".

Wait, I thought it already was like that now...

Did anyone else get the email today saying that you have not received an interview yet, but your application will be looked at again in another 60 days?

Did anyone else get the email today saying that you have not received an interview yet, but your application will be looked at again in another 60 days?
when were you complete?

Hey guys. As of now, the default is setting up your own rotations and bouncing around different sites throughout the year. There are year-long spots at hospitals, but there are only enough spots for 1/3 - 2/5 of the class and there's a GPA minimum for these spots.

I've heard good things about the year-long spots, but the independent rotations have enormous variability and are often quite weak. To say that students are essentially "attending physicians" on independent rotations in general is misleading; there are highly autonomous rotations available to MS4's which are great learning experiences, but these are rare in low-acuity settings (i.e. outpatient clinics, not hospitals). Most MS3 rotations are highly supervised, sometimes to the point of being glorified shadowing experiences.

If they said they're changing MS3-4, that would be great; right now, it's pretty weak. DO schools in general (and some MD schools as well) are known to have problems getting quality rotations, and LECOM is certainly not an exception. Fortunately, I feel MS1-2 makes up for this deficit.

Feel free to PM me. I'll be brutally honest about anything you want to know.

Reactions: 2 users
When did you submit the secondary? Did you receive any "under review" email? Did you receive any "complete" email?

When did you submit the secondary? Did you receive any "under review" email? Did you receive any "complete" email?
I submitted my secondary mid August and on my portal it says my application is under review. I got an email saying the review process on my application has begun at the end of September. I'm assuming they saw my application but didn't want to offer me an interview now, so they'll come back to it? I am getting my master's this year, so maybe they want to wait until they see my Fall 2015 transcript. That's the only thing I can think of for why I got that email.

I interviewed on 10/23 and my status just changed this morning to "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days".

I opted for the early decision and called Annette this morning, but was sent to voicemail. Any one else get their status changed or call?

I interviewed on 10/23 and my status just changed this morning to "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days".

I opted for the early decision and called Annette this morning, but was sent to voicemail. Any one else get their status changed or call?

I saw the portal just changed now, and I called Annette and she told me that I was accepted!!! I interviwed 10/23!

Reactions: 1 users
For anyone that already interviewed, could you give some feedback on the interview in general and types of questions asked? I would really appreciate it!

Still have heard nothing back since the "Your application has been forwarded to the Admissions committee" status...+pissed+

Congrats! When were you complete and stats if you don't mind?
3.6 gpa, 3.7 sgpa and 499. My app was complete 9/14/15. In state only about an hour from where I grew up, hoping for a good interview!

3.6 gpa, 3.7 sgpa and 499. My app was complete 9/14/15. In state only about an hour from where I grew up, hoping for a good interview!

By complete do you mean you got the "Your application has been forwarded to the Admissions Committee status"?

I submitted my secondary mid August and on my portal it says my application is under review. I got an email saying the review process on my application has begun at the end of September. I'm assuming they saw my application but didn't want to offer me an interview now, so they'll come back to it? I am getting my master's this year, so maybe they want to wait until they see my Fall 2015 transcript. That's the only thing I can think of for why I got that email.
Delete

Last edited:
Did you call to ask the reason? Does it mean bad? I was told my application was put on hold to look at again when I called. I did not receive any email. I also am getting my master's this year.

I was complete on 8/21, interviewed 10/5, and accepted 10/14. I'm also currently doing a master's, I sent Annette an update of my current grades in September and was offered an interview pretty much the next day! I would definitely recommend sending a screenshot of current grades and a LOI. They seem to be very responsive to updates and maintaining contact.

I have an interview here next week.. and apparently I will have a panel interview as opposed to a group interview according to my email II... Has anyone had a panel interview here yet?

Can someone tell me who Annette is and her email? I have been complete since 9/8 and have not heard a peep from lecom and getting worried.. this is my first choice :(

Did you call to ask the reason? Does it mean bad? I was told my application was put on hold to look at again when I called. I did not receive any email. I also am getting my master's this year.
Delete

Last edited: