Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM - Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
"Please log on to our self-service portal to schedule your interview."

they e-mailed me that with instructions.

Weird. If the interview scheduler isn't working on the portal, I would call them first thing tomorrow morning to get it straightened out :). Congrats on the II!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
"Please log on to our self-service portal to schedule your interview."

they e-mailed me that with instructions.

I had to schedule my interview myself through the portal. If you login and click the Admissions tab you will see a link called "Interview" on the left side. You click that and the page comes up with a calendar that will have a blue link on whichever dates are available. Select the one you want and you are all set!

Is anyone interviewing Jan 11? Please contact me, we could share a rental car from Tampa and hotel room =) female only please. thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Who for sure is attending LECOM-Bradenton? I am torn between this school and CUSOM, and need to decided soon, can anyone comment on why they picked this school? And any MS's can comment as well? especially on rotations!

Reactions: 1 users
Who for sure is attending LECOM-Bradenton? I am torn between this school and CUSOM, and need to decided soon, can anyone comment on why they picked this school? And any MS's can comment as well? especially on rotations!

I'm sending in my deposit to LECOM-B over TouroCOM NY- Middletown. I really like both schools. I actually liked Middletown's interview day way more than I did LECOM's. However, I feel the PBL curriculum just works. I'm sure you saw a PBL session during your own interview day. I was extremely impressed with these second year students and their ability to work through the case. My initial thought was "wow.. how will I be that knowledgeable at the start of my second year of medical school!!???!!" It made me realize that in order for me to be as prepared as possible for 3rd and 4th year, a PBL style curriculum may be what I need. We all have different ways of learning, sure, but I think the fact that LECOM removes the standard memorization and regurgitation aspect of MS1 & 2 and replaces it with critical thinking skills will inevitably help us become better clinicians (and will definitely help us when it comes time to take the boards). I have a friend that is MS3 at NYITCOM and she was one of the few (~ 40 students total) enrolled in their own version of PBL (I believe there is it called DPC). She said that by following this curriculum style, she did even better on step 1 than she even imagined and attributes her success to this awesome learning style.

Don't get me wrong--I still plan on attending other interviews to see what other schools may have to offer. But when all is said and done, there is a strong chance I will be in LECOM Bradenton's entering class this summer!

(Sorry for not having much to say about rotations! I feel as though they are what you make of it. Having a strong foundation in cases will hopefully help when it comes time to start our third year :)).

Do you guys think I will hear back about a decision before the December 15th deposit date after interviewing tomorrow?

Do you guys think I will hear back about a decision before the December 15th deposit date after interviewing tomorrow?

The committee meets on Tuesdays, so they will probably discuss your application next week! During my interview, they were very forward with when we would hear back. So, they should tell you when you'll know their decision tomorrow.

When your status changes, you can call Annette to hear the decision over the phone.

I'm sending in my deposit to LECOM-B over TouroCOM NY- Middletown. I really like both schools. I actually liked Middletown's interview day way more than I did LECOM's. However, I feel the PBL curriculum just works. I'm sure you saw a PBL session during your own interview day. I was extremely impressed with these second year students and their ability to work through the case. My initial thought was "wow.. how will I be that knowledgeable at the start of my second year of medical school!!???!!" It made me realize that in order for me to be as prepared as possible for 3rd and 4th year, a PBL style curriculum may be what I need. We all have different ways of learning, sure, but I think the fact that LECOM removes the standard memorization and regurgitation aspect of MS1 & 2 and replaces it with critical thinking skills will inevitably help us become better clinicians (and will definitely help us when it comes time to take the boards). I have a friend that is MS3 at NYITCOM and she was one of the few (~ 40 students total) enrolled in their own version of PBL (I believe there is it called DPC). She said that by following this curriculum style, she did even better on step 1 than she even imagined and attributes her success to this awesome learning style.

Don't get me wrong--I still plan on attending other interviews to see what other schools may have to offer. But when all is said and done, there is a strong chance I will be in LECOM Bradenton's entering class this summer!

(Sorry for not having much to say about rotations! I feel as though they are what you make of it. Having a strong foundation in cases will hopefully help when it comes time to start our third year :)).

Thanks for offering your insight, I am strongly leaning towards this school, because of its location, cost, and pre-clinical curiculum, I think PBL works and i love the clinical context. I actually got accepted at Middletown as well, but I crossed it off my list immediately. I am just sort of worried about their rotations.!! Can anyone chime in on that?

I interviwed on a Friday, saw on Tuesday that a decision has been made, and called them that afternoon and found out I was accepted.. As oppose to LECOM-E which took over 4 weeks to get an answer via Snail mail!

Hey guys. As of now, the default is setting up your own rotations and bouncing around different sites throughout the year. There are year-long spots at hospitals, but there are only enough spots for 1/3 - 2/5 of the class and there's a GPA minimum for these spots.

I've heard good things about the year-long spots, but the independent rotations have enormous variability and are often quite weak. To say that students are essentially "attending physicians" on independent rotations in general is misleading; there are highly autonomous rotations available to MS4's which are great learning experiences, but these are rare in low-acuity settings (i.e. outpatient clinics, not hospitals). Most MS3 rotations are highly supervised, sometimes to the point of being glorified shadowing experiences.

If they said they're changing MS3-4, that would be great; right now, it's pretty weak. DO schools in general (and some MD schools as well) are known to have problems getting quality rotations, and LECOM is certainly not an exception. Fortunately, I feel MS1-2 makes up for this deficit.

Feel free to PM me. I'll be brutally honest about anything you want to know.

I interviwed on a Friday, saw on Tuesday that a decision has been made, and called them that afternoon and found out I was accepted.. As oppose to LECOM-E which took over 4 weeks to get an answer via Snail mail!

lecom_throwaway was helpful!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for offering your insight, I am strongly leaning towards this school, because of its location, cost, and pre-clinical curiculum, I think PBL works and i love the clinical context. I actually got accepted at Middletown as well, but I crossed it off my list immediately. I am just sort of worried about their rotations.!! Can anyone chime in on that?

I am a current MS1 but have heard from MS2s that they are trying something new with rotations for them. Most people will get year long rotations and it is not as GPA based as previously. Before, only the top of the class was able to get year-longs...now they are pulling students from all GPAs. There are only about 70 year longs available in Florida right now so the rest of the class goes up North or arranges their own rotations in Florida. I think that this is a step in the right direction but we will find out once the current MS2s start their rotations.

What's wrong with middle towns rotations?

How did it go?

Pretty straightforward. The idea of a group interview is a bit disconcerting at first, but luckily my group was pretty fair in allowing each applicant to get his/her word in for the question. The 10 min MMI went by very quickly. Simple prompt with a few follow up questions.

Pretty straightforward. The idea of a group interview is a bit disconcerting at first, but luckily my group was pretty fair in allowing each applicant to get his/her word in for the question. The 10 min MMI went by very quickly. Simple prompt with a few follow up questions.
I interviewed same day as you! Will be pondering who you could be hahaho_O

Thank you, I wish you the best!

For those that have an interview coming up and sent your letter through AACOMAS, have your letters been updated on LECOM's portal? Mine still show as not yet received..

For those that have an interview coming up and sent your letter through AACOMAS, have your letters been updated on LECOM's portal? Mine still show as not yet received..
Call admissions to make sure they have it. If you updated your AACOMAS with new letters, LECOM might not have pulled them from the system to update your file.

Call admissions to make sure they have it. If you updated your AACOMAS with new letters, LECOM might not have pulled them from the system to update your file.
I'll go ahead and do that, thanks!

Anyone know when their waitlist moves?
I was initially told they would reevaluate in mid-December, but when I called two weeks ago, they said it might take up to early January. Holiday season and all, I assume..

Blessed and extremely grateful to have been accepted a few weeks ago, but I will be withdrawing. Hope the spot goes to one of you guys!

Is LECOM-B still sending out secondaries?

I was verified over a week ago.
I would think so. I know you applied late, but patience is a virtue. Some people have been complete (primary app in, secondary app in, LORs received, scores received, everything good to go) since July or Aug and haven't heard back from schools yet either.

I'll see you guys at the interview day on the 2nd! California applicant here lets go!

Withdrew my application, best of luck to you guys!

Sorry idk if this has been asked here before, but does anyone know of a cheap hotel near the school?

Sorry idk if this has been asked here before, but does anyone know of a cheap hotel near the school?
If you have a ride, you might want to try Airbnb. That's what I did. There's a really nice place ~10 mins from the school. Much cheaper and nicer than the hotels.

oh thanks, I will def do that, Is there a good transportation system? I am used to driving everywhere

oh thanks, I will def do that, Is there a good transportation system? I am used to driving everywhere
As in public transportation? I don't know much about that. I'm OOS, so I got a rental at Tampa airport and drove myself around.

Yeah!!! Me too!! Cant beat the low tuition and awesome location and board scores!! Class of 2020!! Lets go!!

So true! The campus is freakishly clean/beautiful/new looking too!

Make sure to join the FB group for the class of 2020 :D

Hi guys! Just wondering, has anyone been invited for an interview who applied with an AIS score?

So true! The campus is freakishly clean/beautiful/new looking too!

Make sure to join the FB group for the class of 2020 :D

Yes I think the entire area is so beautiful, I am from NY, so I am excited for the yer long song! I have joined the FB group for a while now, just going to make a deposit this week, and then its all official!

For the people who are definitely going to attend this school would you mind telling me why you chose this school over other schools? or why you are not waiting to hear back from other schools?

Did LECOM release automatic secondaries, or do they have a manual screening they do?