Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM - Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
A perfectly content unstressed and satisfied med student to me is as rare an a unicorn. Med school in general is just super stressful so when you ask their opinions in the middle of exams about a school you're gonna get negative responses. Looking at other school forums you're always gonna see a bunch of stressed out disgruntled students saying absolutely stear clear of this place, take it all with a grain of salt. For me it's hard to say what school is best to attend because I only know my experiences here and hearsay at other places. I will say if you go here, you need to be very self directed, and responsible for yourself and your success, your hand won't be held for you. So people who need to be spoon fed information daily, this isn't the place for you. What you get out of here is proportional to what you put in.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
twice :(
the first time i only applied to 1 school though, this time i applied to like 18
Don't give up! Had to apply three cycles to place somewhere. You're not alone, don't get discouraged. My best advice is call schools and get feedback as to why you weren't considered further, a lot of the time it's a red flag you didn't even realize.

I... I think I got a rejection but I'm not sure. LECOM being kinda shady by deferring me to their masters program:

"Dear XXXX,

Your application for admission to LECOM Bradenton has been considered by the Admissions Committee. After careful review the Committee is suggesting that you consider attending LECOM’s Master of Medical Science Program in Bradenton, Florida or the Health Sciences Post Baccalaureate Program in Erie, Pennsylvania. Both programs will strengthen your science credentials for future applications to medical school.

I am sure you are aware that medical school admissions are very competitive and selecting the best possible class from the many well-qualified applicants is extremely difficult. Each applicant receives full consideration and those selected represent the combined judgment of the members of the Committee."

Members don't see this ad :)
I... I think I got a rejection but I'm not sure. LECOM being kinda shady by deferring me to their masters program:

"Dear XXXX,

Your application for admission to LECOM Bradenton has been considered by the Admissions Committee. After careful review the Committee is suggesting that you consider attending LECOM’s Master of Medical Science Program in Bradenton, Florida or the Health Sciences Post Baccalaureate Program in Erie, Pennsylvania. Both programs will strengthen your science credentials for future applications to medical school.

I am sure you are aware that medical school admissions are very competitive and selecting the best possible class from the many well-qualified applicants is extremely difficult. Each applicant receives full consideration and those selected represent the combined judgment of the members of the Committee."
It is not exactly a rejection. It is something more along the lines of "we want you but we think you are not ready so we would like you to attend our postbac program". Idk about the masters program but for the postbac, if you maintain a certain gpa you are automatically accepted for the next cycle. Think of it as a conditional deferred admission.
If you have nothing else, i strongly recommend the program

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Looks like the waitlist may start moving FYI. Just got an email asking if I wish to remain on it so they can start dealing with the list.

Reactions: 1 user
Can anyone give me contact information of someone is Admission please. I have tried contacting them multiple times also leaving voicemails but no-one is getting back to me :/

who is interviewing tomorrow and in Bradenton right now?

I had a interview from both LECOM-B and LECOM-SH, and was accepted to both places, but chose LECOM-B!

Hey so I had Seton Hill interview last month and just got scheduled for Bradenton interview next month. Just wondering what were the deciding factors that went into you choosing LECOM-B. I ask also because of how late the interview is I'll have to make a very quick decision if I get acceptance at either school

Anyone else with any advice please chip in as well specifically comparing PBLs at SH and B

Hey so I had Seton Hill interview last month and just got scheduled for Bradenton interview next month. Just wondering what were the deciding factors that went into you choosing LECOM-B. I ask also because of how late the interview is I'll have to make a very quick decision if I get acceptance at either school

Anyone else with any advice please chip in as well specifically comparing PBLs at SH and B

I honestly felt the location at Bradenton was what sold me, combined with the beautiful weather, the nearby beaches, and overall just "positve" vibe I got. I liked Seton Hill a lot, too but Bradenton in my opinion has a better location. I am from the North east, and want a change in location! Location was honestly my deciding factor, I also felt PBL Curriculum was much stronger in Bradenton, students seemed happier, and Bradenton I felt had a more strict atmosphere, and really wanted to make sure it was for you. I also liked the felt they were "If you dont like PBL, then dont go here," I liked how they were straight up. I wished Bradneton was associated with a university, but the campus is one building, but its clean and gorgeous.

I honestly felt the location at Bradenton was what sold me, combined with the beautiful weather, the nearby beaches, and overall just "positve" vibe I got. I liked Seton Hill a lot, too but Bradenton in my opinion has a better location. I am from the North east, and want a change in location! Location was honestly my deciding factor, I also felt PBL Curriculum was much stronger in Bradenton, students seemed happier, and Bradenton I felt had a more strict atmosphere, and really wanted to make sure it was for you. I also liked the felt they were "If you dont like PBL, then dont go here," I liked how they were straight up. I wished Bradneton was associated with a university, but the campus is one building, but its clean and gorgeous.
I was accepted to both SH and Bradenton and chose Bradenton for basically every single reason you just mentioned. Loved the location (besides the beaches and the tranquility, i am also radically closer to my family since i am IS). Loved the stricter atmosphere. Yeah that sounds crazy but it works for me. Number 1 selling point is the "if you don't like it and if it doesn't work for you, don't come here" narrative. LECOM tells you exactly what they are and you get to decide.
The one disadvantage Bradenton has is that the rotations are a little bit up in the air (for Erie/SH the rotations are a more set in stone). However you get help to set your rotations (and as far as i know you can also use the SH/Erie spots)

For those of you who have decided on LECOM-B please join the class of 2020 Facebook page! There are quite a few current students who are members that have great advice and a good amount of members of our class too! Search: LECOM Bradenton Class of 2020 (D.O.)

hello everyone. my interview is on the 21th of march and was wondering which hotel was best to choose from. Also if someone can explain how to inform the hotels that I am there for the interview. thank you

do the Holiday Inn in Bradenton and inform them of your interview and they'll give you a discount. I tried to save money by going to a different hotel and it sucked dick. it's worth the money for the peace of mind.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed 3/4 and no change on my status but the guy at the end said no news on Friday was good news right?

Any recommendations of specific places to check out? I have 2 extra days here to explore around

I'll be there 3/20-3/23

when you call the hotel number say you're interviewing and want to ask about the lecom rate. Some of the hotels you have to talk to a local person there and not the reservation line. I called quite a bit for my dates and the Hilton on osprey had the cheapest rate at 120 a night. The next closest was 150. The rest were above 200 because it's prime season down there

This was my first choice so looks like I'll be a part of the class of 2020!

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Nice. Mind sharing stats? I'm likely going here. Waiting to hear from IS schools but don't have high hopes.

Hey, for the current 3rd year and 2nd year students as well, how are the clinical rotations going? I heard at my interview that the model for clinical rotations is changing so that all cores are done at a year long site. This process was started this year, according to my sources. Any of those students willing to chime in, please? Thank you.

Hey, for the current 3rd year and 2nd year students as well, how are the clinical rotations going? I heard at my interview that the model for clinical rotations is changing so that all cores are done at a year long site. This process was started this year, according to my sources. Any of those students willing to chime in, please? Thank you.

I have a friend who is second year. I don't think the process you're speaking of has been fully implemented. However, my friend did say that by the time we (c/o 2020) do clinical rotations everybody will have year-long sites.

Anybody else from the 9/25 interview day planning on matriculating here?

Does anyone know when Bradenton is done giving out II? I have an interview at the Erie location next week and I submitted my secondaries a few days apart. I haven't heard anything from Bradenton except that they received my secondary.

Does anyone from 3/11 interview have their portal status update yet?

going to be interviewing here on the 21st of march. Any advice? Pro vs cons about the pbl? Been wait listed at a couple of other school and hope I can figure out what i am doing wrong.

I got invited to interview here about a week ago! I'm pretty excited. Any general insight as to what the interview is like? I'm sure it's somewhere in the thread, I'd just prefer to avoid searching if I can.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I interviewed on 3/11 and mine still says " Your file is in under review by the Admissions Committee post interview. You will be notified by mail of the decision by the Admissions Committee." I'm going to be checking my mail more often now.

I interviewed on 3/11 and mine still says " Your file is in under review by the Admissions Committee post interview. You will be notified by mail of the decision by the Admissions Committee." I'm going to be checking my mail more often now.

Edit: misread. Once it changes to "a decision has been made...you will receive your decision by mail in 30 days," you can call in for a decision!

Last edited:
Thanks for your reply Forever24. Mine says the same thing as yours, and I was wondering if it really means we're accepted pending available seats like Ron Shively said or if everyone's portal status still says that. I guess I'll wait for more replies.

Thanks for your reply Forever24. Mine says the same thing as yours, and I was wondering if it really means we're accepted pending available seats like Ron Shively said or if everyone's portal status still says that. I guess I'll wait for more replies.

Yea that's what I was thinking about. Ron said that if it doesn't change its a good thing but I just don't understand why they cant just give us a response. Are they comparing us to waitlisted students? Ranking students?

My understanding is that since they've accepted enough people to fill the class, they're waiting for people to withdraw their seats in the class so they can accept us. I guess we're in a high priority waitlist in a sense. What I don't understand is why they can't just give out more acceptances than there are seats in the class if they're so sure people will withdraw their acceptances anyway. I have 2 interviews coming up so I really want to know now if I'm in so I can cancel them.

My understanding is that since they've accepted enough people to fill the class, they're waiting for people to withdraw their seats in the class so they can accept us. I guess we're in a high priority waitlist in a sense. What I don't understand is why they can't just give out more acceptances than there are seats in the class if they're so sure people will withdraw their acceptances anyway. I have 2 interviews coming up so I really want to know now if I'm in so I can cancel them.
If we were to wait for those people to withdraw their acceptances which I think is the case, wouldn't we know after the time they allow people to withdraw? Do you or anyone know that time frame?

I interviewed on 3/11 and my portal just changed about a minute ago to a decision has been made

If we were to wait for those people to withdraw their acceptances which I think is the case, wouldn't we know after the time they allow people to withdraw? Do you or anyone know that time frame?
If I remember correctly, Ron said that the second deposit is due on April 1st, and that is when he thinks they'll be able to accept people.

I interviewed on 3/11 and my portal just changed about a minute ago to a decision has been made
Hey thanks for your reply, Emergency Man. I honestly don't even know what that means since Ron said the portal change should have happened on Friday. Are you going to call them to ask about the decision? I heard you can do that if your portal changes to a decision has been made.

I just checked my portal (3pm EDT) and mine still says under review post interview. Don't know what to make of that either.

Do you kind sharing when you interviewed? :)

If I remember correctly, Ron said that the second deposit is due on April 1st, and that is when he thinks they'll be able to accept people.

Hey thanks for your reply, Emergency Man. I honestly don't even know what that means since Ron said the portal change should have happened on Friday. Are you going to call them to ask about the decision? I heard you can do that if your portal changes to a decision has been made.

I just checked my portal (3pm EDT) and mine still says under review post interview. Don't know what to make of that either.

Hold tight guys, April 1st is when the second deposit is due, there is likely to be movement in the following weeks!

Are all the upcoming interviews strictly for spots on a wait list/alternate list?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I imagine some spots will be opening up. There was a March 15th deadline to have a matriculation packet complete or else you lost your seat, I know of at least one seat that opened up!

besides that one person who got off the waitlist in December...any other movement?

For anyone that has accepted and put the second deposit down, where on the portal can you see if they received the second deposit? I sent mine over a week ago and do not want to lose my spot because my check didn't make it.

For anyone that has accepted and put the second deposit down, where on the portal can you see if they received the second deposit? I sent mine over a week ago and do not want to lose my spot because my check didn't make it.

Log in and go to admissions. Once on admissions, go to the left hand menu (the blue bullet points) and click on required letters and credits. There you will get a list of requirements (immunizations, matriculation agreements, and deposits). If the 500 dollar deposit is checked off, then they go it