Lake Erie - Bradenton (LECOM - Bradenton) Discussion Thread 2015 - 2016

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am also torn between Nova and Lecom B. My gut says nova but heres what i'm thinking. Lecom is significantly cheaper and #1 in the nation for board scores. It doesn't really make sense to go somewhere lesser ranker and more expensive just because of the better location/atmosphere. Ive heard from several upperclassman that due to the PBL work , people get to travel in between/go places bc youre not as bound by lecture and are more independent. I also think atmosphere is what you make of it and with a positive attitude, it is not going to be as miserable of an experience as everyone is making it out to be. RN i'm leaning more towards lecom for these reasons, but we'll see. thoughts?

Hello, I would be cautious of the first reply you got to this question. If you review that persons messages it is apparent this is his/her second cycle and was only granted one interview (LECOM-B) and is waitlisted. Seems to me they should be LECOM's biggest fan since its the only school that has given them a shot.

My take on your situation: First and Foremost, go with your own gut. I chose LECOM for the exact reasons that you have given. The whole 3/4 year argument is something LECOM is upfront with. There are plenty of 3rd year long spots especially if you are location flexible and have done well your 1st/2nd years. Personally I think it is advantageous that we can also setup our own spots if we want as I want to come back up to the northeast. 4th year is similar at all schools - you are doing audition rotations and scheduling them all over.

The residency match speaks for itself. I don't think you are hurting yourself at all coming to LECOM and in fact by choosing the lower tuition you are helping yourself financially. Nova grads are some of the most indebted grads in the nation. That sucky situation lasts 20-30 years (repayment) while school is only 4.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I low key think that about the first reply too. Some people who are on the wait list, sometimes bash the school on purpose, so people who were actually accepted withdraw their seats, so their chances of getting a seat can increase lol.

Last edited:
I also interviewed at LECOM-B 3/11 with still no word yet. Any thoughts? I spoke with admissions 2 weeks ago who said I could expect to hear something within those 2 weeks. Unfortunately no word yet for me :/

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you guys send letters of intent?

I sent a letter of interest after my interview. But if you're waitlisted and this is your top choice a letter of intent would probably be the way to go. Mr. Shively told me they took letters pretty seriously.

I sent a letter of interest after my interview. But if you're waitlisted and this is your top choice a letter of intent would probably be the way to go. Mr. Shively told me they took letters pretty seriously.

Same, I emailed Mr. Shively my letter a day after my interview

I sent a LOI back in January and finally got accepted two days ago!

Anybody here been accepted with a C/P score of 124 but above 500 overall? I have my MCAT 5/6, and have been hitting around 504 but my Chem/Physics score has never once hit 125 but everything else is making up for it..

cGPA 3.44, sGPA 3.38, great LORs, ECs, etc.

Just trying to gauge how it went down this cycle

Thanks for any insight/info!!

Anybody here been accepted with a C/P score of 124 but above 500 overall? I have my MCAT 5/6, and have been hitting around 504 but my Chem/Physics score has never once hit 125 but everything else is making up for it..

cGPA 3.44, sGPA 3.38, great LORs, ECs, etc.

Just trying to gauge how it went down this cycle

Thanks for any insight/info!!
Just take your exam and focus on doing as best as you can. If everything else is the way you say it, a score below a 124 (within reason of course) will be but a blip in your app.
Best of luck! Go kill it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
As far as nova vs. Lecom.

It comes down to this.

If you want to look at it from a financial perspective.

Time is money.

Yes nova is more expensive.
But it allows you more powerful connections.
And on top of that a much greater chance of making professional friends.
From the dental, nursing, pt, pa, programs.

Which help you get way ahead in life.

Every job I've gotten so far in life has been through a connection.
And I plan on keeping the trend going.

No one outside of Florida knows about Lecom if u ask them, but drop nova down, and your bound to hear a plethora of responses "oh my son goes there" "oh that campus is so pretty I live right by there"
"My cardiologist went there" etc....

It's a massive school with multiple campuses even In the same state.

If you have to choose between nova and Lecom make the decision that will benefit you most professionally!

It comes down to this.

Time is money.

No one outside of Florida knows about Lecom if u ask them, but drop nova down, and your bound to hear a plethora of responses "oh my son goes there" "oh that campus is so pretty I live right by there"

If you have to choose between nova and Lecom make the decision that will benefit you most professionally!

I totally respect that Nova is an excellent school, but the recognition thing is definitely area specific. I live in Buffalo, NY, and when I talk about Nova, people assume I'm talking about Villanova. Nobody around here has ever heard of Nova. LECOM, on the other hand, people are extremely familiar with, due to Buffalo's proximity to Erie, PA. So it all depends on where you are. At the end of the day, everyone should choose the school that is the best fit for them :)

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

It comes down to this.

Time is money.

Just to let you know, people in California and Texas know about LECOM. LECOM Bradenton has had #1 and #2 highest COMLEX scores multiple times in the past 7 years. I interviewed at other schools asking where I had interviewed before and LECOM they knew of and were mildly impressed. Their PBL curriculum produces some of the highest scores on both the COMLEX and USMLE. So I would not agree with your assessment of LECOM being unknown. At LECOM bradenton also the school is literally next to the dental school and actually attached to the pharmacy school. At LECOM seton hill many of the rotations are done at UPMC clinic partnerships from what I was told and that has to be a good source of what you're calling "networking"......

not trying to argue with you, but would like the guy to have a fair representation

Reactions: 1 users
Did you guys send letters of intent?

Yup I sent one exactly 1 week after my interview, but eventually got waitlisted and sent in the form that I would be accept admission on the spot if I was given it

I called and I'm on the Accept Hold list. Can anyone here clarify what that means?
From what I remember Mr. Shively saying, it meant you were on the wait-list of people who are accepted, but admissions is waiting for people to drop out of the class to accept you. But it's the top of the waitlist of people who are 'accept worthy' candidates is what I remember him telling us, so it's a good thing! congratulations ! :nod:

If it also helps anyone else, in addition to the letter of intent, I emailed any new test grades I received from my masters program this year. I sent my last grade update 2 weeks ago and a week later got the acceptance call.

Last edited:
Hey man, I live in NY aswell, specifically queens.

Heavy medical area, you mention nova.
And everyone brags about what a paradise it is and how jealous they are that you're going there.

You mention Bradenton and they say,

Bradenton, that's all farm land out there.

Just giving you my two cents

Hey man, I live in NY aswell, specifically queens.

Heavy medical area, you mention nova.
And everyone brags about what a paradise it is and how jealous they are that you're going there.

You mention Bradenton and they say,

Bradenton, that's all farm land out there.

Just giving you my two cents

I understand, like everything it's just different perspectives! I live in Texas currently and I moved from California and I 100% believed that there would be cowboys in Dallas and I talked to some of my friends who said the same thing haha

:rofl:

By the way anyone get a letter saying they were put on an alternate list and could be notified of acceptance through the first week of August 2016? That seems super late, but just wondering if anyone knows the logistics of this classification...

By the way anyone get a letter saying they were put on an alternate list and could be notified of acceptance through the first week of August 2016? That seems super late, but just wondering if anyone knows the logistics of this classification...

There have been instances in past years where a student or two who accepted and intended on going drop out for random circumstances. I've had two friends who have been accepted off of the waitlist a week before classes start.

just got the acceptance call! but declined because I already put a deposit down somewhere closer to home. a very strange and bittersweet feeling. hope the next call goes to someone on here!

just got the acceptance call! but declined because I already put a deposit down somewhere closer to home. a very strange and bittersweet feeling. hope the next call goes to someone on here!

Wow I really hope it does too, Good luck to you!

Has anyone who interviewed at LECOM-B on April 4th or 18th heard anything back yet?

Has anyone who interviewed at LECOM-B on April 4th or 18th heard anything back yet?
Interviewed April 4th. I called them and they said I was on the Accept Hold list. The portal still says that we'll notify you by mail

Last edited:
Many of the supposed Nova students posting on SDN don't know the difference between "your" and "you're." That was my deciding factor.

Interviewed April 4th. I called them and they said I was on the Accept Hold list. The portal still says that we'll notify you buy mail

Thanks for your response and congratulations!!!

Accepted May 20th! So happy to be going back to FL :)

Accepted May 20th! So happy to be going back to FL :)

Congrats! :)
When did you interview?

I interviewed 2/12 and was put on the alternate list. Sent a letter of intent. Anyone else have advice on what to do at this point?

I interviewed in May, so the turn around was pretty quick for me... I can't advise you on what to do, maybe phone call?

Does this school favor in state applicants?
Not really. At my interview they told me that it ends up about 50% instate/50% out of state, and the only real reason that IS is 50% is that they get more Florida applicants than OOS applicants.

Sent from my SM-G900V using SDN mobile

Not sure what's going on here. My application was finalized in January, and in April I got a notification (by text) that my application was being forwarded for processing. The portal has said "forwarded for processing, will update you when a decision has been made" ever since, I haven't gotten an answer to my emails and I can't find a number to call. I can't possibly imagine being invited to interview in June, but if I were, I could do it easily as I live nearby. It just strikes me as very peculiar that they wouldn't just say the cycle is over. Anyone else in a similar boat?

That's normal, I still haven't heard from Bradenton campus since I submitted secondary in July, which is totally fine with me.