Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

I originally posted this in the Seton Hill specific thread, but wanted to post it here as well in case the two don't end up being merged. @AlteredScale if you do merge them, feel free to delete this post.

At any rate, I just wanted to give a few tidbits. I'm a current second year at LECOM-SH, and I won't be checking this cycle's thread as often as I was able to this past cycle due to boards and rotations, but I'll try to check in and answer questions every once in a while.

A few tidbits:
--Don't try to read too much into the timeline of getting feedback on the Portal. It means next to nothing.
--Pathways available at Erie: LDP, DSP, PBL, APAP, PCSP. Pathways available at Seton Hill: PBL with very limited APAP.
--In the past, there hasn't been a secondary essay.
--Below is a slightly edited post I made months ago on how clinical rotations are set up in the "north" LECOM campuses, and I'm quoting it here so it'll be available on the front page. The details on available sites change a bit year-to-year, but the general principles should be the same.

Best of luck!
LECOM-Erie/Seton Hill

Length at each site: all of 3rd year, 4th year depends on site

How is site determined?: match “lottery” organized by class government. One site reserved for GPA >3.0. GPA <2.5 are "alpha" and go to Elmira, NY or Erie, PA

Do students have to set up their own rotations?: For electives, selectives and family medicine but not other cores.

Freedom to do rotations outside of designated site?: Yes for electives and family medicine. Selectives must be at a LECOM affiliate. Not for cores unless you're military (HPSP).

States/Sites:

Home Hospital: I guess-- Millcreek Hospital/LECOM Health in Erie, PA

Residencies offered: ??? (they exist, I just don't know details)

True Academic University Sites (Residencies): I guess-- Millcreek Hospital/LECOM Health in Erie, PA

Community Sites (Residencies): (a lot of these have residencies but I don't have details offhand)

Pennsylvania:
Allegheny Health Network - Pittsburgh
Aria Health - Philadelphia
Butler Health System - Butler
Clarion Hospital - Clarion
Conemaugh Memorial -Johnstown
Guthrie/Robert Packer - Sayer
Indiana Regional MC- Indiana
Meadville MC - MEadville
Memorial Hospital - York
Millcreek Community - Erie
Penn Highlands - Dubois
Pinnacle Health- Harrisburg
Saint Vincent HC - Erie
Uniontown Hospital - Uniontown
UPMC Horizon - Farrell
Washington HS - Washington

Ohio:
Adena Health System - Chillicothe
East Liverpool - East Liverpool
St. Elizabeth - Youngstown
UHS Cleveland East - Cleveland
UHS Cleveland West - Cleveland

New York:
Arnot Ogden- Elmira
Niagara Falls MMC-- Niagara Falls
Our Lady of Lourdes- Binghampton
Samaritan MC - Watertown
Sisters of Charity - Buffalo
St. John's Episcopal - Far Rockaway
St. John's Riverside - Yonkers
United Memorial MC- Batavia
WCA Hospital - Jamestown

California:
San Diego Regional - San Diego

Michigan:
Beaumont- Trenton

3rd year rotations: 3 internal medicine, 2 surgery, 1 family medicine, 1 geriatrics, 1 psych, 1 peds, 1 OB/GYN, 2 electives, 1 vacation
4th year rotation: 1 "clinical development", 3 electives, 1 surgery selective, 1 medical selective, 1 primary care selective, 2 emergency medicine, 2 ambulatory medicine, 1 rural/underserved, 1 vacation

Notables:
--most sites have a mix of hospital-based and outpatient rotations
--many of these sites have associated AOA or ACGME residencies, but I don't have the details and don't want to spread misinformation
--you rank your top six programs and top four schedules (out of 13 options) and student government attempts to balance student happiness with meeting clin ed's requirements
--if your site doesn't have a certain rotation (e.g. several locations don't have psych) you go to Millcreek for that month. Housing is provided.
--our schedules have been organized to have (pro) multiple elective months in the fall of 4th year for audition rotations and (con) a mandatory month in Erie for a geriatrics rotation 3rd year

Edited: added a section on rotations by year

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck to everyone applying for the Class of 2021!! Feel free to message me or the other LECOM students with any questions you may have in regards to any part of the application process.

Reactions: 1 user
Best of luck to everyone applying for the Class of 2021!! Feel free to message me or the other LECOM students with any questions you may have in regards to any part of the application process.

Hey thanks a lot I just got one.
I know for the secondary they ask which curriculum you would prefer.

Does LECOM have the same policy as edward via and only allow you to interview at one campus ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey thanks a lot I just got one.
I know for the secondary they ask which curriculum you would prefer.

Does LECOM have the same policy as edward via and only allow you to interview at one campus ?

If I recall correctly you can select which campus to apply to but if you apply to Seton Hill, you'll also be eligible for Erie. Actually before you matriculate you can swap campuses pretty easily if there are spots available. The exception to this is if you want to apply to Bradenton which if Erie and Seton Hill were brother/sister, Bradenton would be a distant third cousin. If you wish to apply to Bradenton you'll have to interview there and I don't think you can jump from SH/Erie to there so easily. Keep in mind that Seton Hill is a PBL only campus while Erie has all the other pathways, including PBL, so that might play a factor in deciding where you want to go.

I submitted here too. Just submitted today :D

Reactions: 1 users
Applied about a week ago! Hoping for some love granted my MCAT goes well or the AIS works out.

Reactions: 1 users
Does this school favor in state applicants?

First time DO applicant here. I have a friend starting in this next class and it would be cool to go here. Good luck everyone!

Members don't see this ad :)
Unfortunately, no

Found it! Apparently they do.

Image1466698693.127103.jpg

Does LECOM send secondaries to everyone, or do they have a screening process?

I'm glad you got a secondary it feels like you and me are on the pre hold everywhere else lol

Lol. I know right? I'm glad you got one too. I got 3 today. 1 from LECOM, 1 from LECOM-Brad, and 1 from ATSU-SOMA

One more thing I notice is that everyone I saw on each school discussion is almost the same. Like all of us are going to apply to the same school. lol

Lol. I know right? I'm glad you got one too. I got 3 today. 1 from LECOM, 1 from LECOM-Brad, and 1 from ATSU-SOMA

One more thing I notice is that everyone I saw on each school discussion is almost the same. Like all of us are going to apply to the same school. lol

We might meet up on the interview trail !

received and submitted... if only other schools were this easy (it's like a double-edged sword though)

Everyone that received a secondary...when were you all verified?
Thanks.

So I got an email from them today, but not with a secondary, just saying that they've received my app from AACOMAS, that it's under review, and that they'll contact me in the future... Anyone have any idea what that's all about?

So I got an email from them today, but not with a secondary, just saying that they've received my app from AACOMAS, that it's under review, and that they'll contact me in the future... Anyone have any idea what that's all about?

I received that email, but they include the link and my account to do the secondary too...

Got an email said that they processed my secondary. Fast...

Got an email said that they processed my secondary. Fast...
I got the same thing a few minutes ago. At this rate IIs will be coming out soon (wishful thinking).

I got the same thing a few minutes ago. At this rate IIs will be coming out soon (wishful thinking).

+1

I'm nervous because my school still hasn't sent my committee letter to AACOMAS and AACOMAS hasn't received my MCAT score! :(

Just a heads up for everyone, LECOM, at least the Erie campus, takes forever to do anything. After your secondary is submitted it took them over three weeks to offer me an interview even though I go to an affiliate school (which we automatically get an ingerview) and once I interviewed, it took them 6 weeks to get back with a decision. All of my friends who applied there too had a similar time line. It's like they purposely wait a certain amount of time before letting anyone know any decisions. Just don't be dissapointed if they don't get back to you super fast after your secondary is submitted.

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

Just a heads up for everyone, LECOM, at least the Erie campus, takes forever to do anything. After your secondary is submitted it took them over three weeks to offer me an interview even though I go to an affiliate school (which we automatically get an ingerview) and once I interviewed, it took them 6 weeks to get back with a decision. All of my friends who applied there too had a similar time line. It's like they purposely wait a certain amount of time before letting anyone know any decisions. Just don't be dissapointed if they don't get back to you super fast after your secondary is submitted.

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

That blows. Good for me I guess haha

I received that email, but they include the link and my account to do the secondary too...
Weird ya mine didn't have anything about a secondary in it, maybe I'll contact them about it

Secondary received and submitted; easiest one yet!

Secondary received and submitted! Woot woot good luck!

Um okay... question. I definitely filled out the LECOM secondary and paid. Went back into the portal, and now it looks like I never even submitted a secondary, it says "In Progress". Did this happen to anyone else? Should I fill it out again?

Um okay... question. I definitely filled out the LECOM secondary and paid. Went back into the portal, and now it looks like I never even submitted a secondary, it says "In Progress". Did this happen to anyone else? Should I fill it out again?

Nah you good ! You should get an confirmation email soon

Finally submitted my primary! So excited to hear from this school, good luck everyone

Question: I received the secondary invite from Bradenton but not Erie. However, under the LECOM tab I can see the secondary and could theoretically fill it out. Should I do it, or wait for an official email from them?

I received both invites..but got the same portal login. If i were you, id do both.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile