Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Mine has been saying the same thing for Bradenton campus as well for weeks. Did you find out anything when you called?
No I have not acually called them. I sometime forget that I even applied to this college. I am going to call them now and let you know if I find anything.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
What is the timeline of decision notification after an interview?

What is the timeline of decision notification after an interview?

October 1 if you opt into the early acceptance program. November 15 if you don't. I don't know how they'll do it after that date though.

Members don't see this ad :)
October 1 if you opt into the early acceptance program. November 15 if you don't. I don't know how they'll do it after that date though.
The decision is by snail mail too so idk if we will get anything on exactly October 1st.

The decision is by snail mail too so idk if we will get anything on exactly October 1st.

It's probably different but when I interviewed at Bradenton the admissions coordinator told us she would do her best to have it to us by the 1st. And she said we could email her on the first if we didn't have it in hand yet.

It's probably different but when I interviewed at Bradenton the admissions coordinator told us she would do her best to have it to us by the 1st. And she said we could email her on the first if we didn't have it in hand yet.

Wow thats so weird. Admissions for erie explicitly stated they don't give decision over email or phone. We would only know by snail mail.

Completed secondary for Erie on 7/12 and Bradenton on 7/16, still no II. :(
Stats: Gpa 3.84 MCAT 495.

What are everyone's stats like for those who received II?

Should I be worried?
High GPA and low MCAT. Admitting committee may think -- "If he/she is such a good hard working student and gets great GPA (3.84) why he/she did not bother to study for MCAT?"
You don't want them doubt you.

Last edited:
Hey guys, what is the approximate time between the completion of your secondary and II notice? Just to get a ball park. I completed my secondary on 8/17.

Thanks in advance!

At Bradenton they told the early decision people they could call October 1st. He also said if you haven't received anything in the mail by then you are most likely accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
At Bradenton they told the early decision people they could call October 1st. He also said if you haven't received anything in the mail by then you are most likely accepted.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Wow Erie and Bradenton are so different haha

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Two weeks. Doesn't seem to really mean much though because it's a long process.
Yea I understand it's a long process. Just got a little nervous that I haven't heard anything from them yet since secondary over a month ago.

do they take app updates? their faq is pretty light on their website

Guys. DON'T READ INTO TIMING OF THE PORTAL. I know it's tempting, but truly, it doesn't mean anything. This will also be true if you're accepted and get paranoid about exam results. Deep breaths.

Problem Based Learning - A great mystery to me. They meet weekly, plus have to come to some lectures (OPP, H&P) and labs. Otherwise, they seem to mostly read the texts. They could go to lecture if they wanted, but seriously no one does that. They have only a couple of exams per semester, which are very high stakes. The people in this pathway seem to really like it. I can't speak much more to how it works, but maybe @ortnakas or another PBL person could pipe up with more details.

Forgot to respond to this until now. And for full disclosure, I was PBL at Seton Hill, and things might be slightly different than Erie.

PBL is very much choose-your-own-adventure, which is great once you get the hang of it, but has a steep learning curve. Basically, you meet 2-3X/week and go over a case with a group and your facilitator. First semester, one case might take several meetings to get through-- you speed up quite a bit by second year. When you complete a case, your group assigns "final learning objectives" from the reading. So, for a first year case on diabetes, you might end up picking the pancreas chapter from physiology, a glucose metabolism chapter from biochemistry, a pathology page run on diabetes, and a pharmacology chapter on diabetes drugs. Some people go into PBL and think it's all about the group meetings, and while those are helpful, it's really all about the reading. Exams are based on the pages you assign. Promethean is right that they're high stakes-- 26 credits for the semester is based on 3 exams, each covering ~700 pages of material.

If you're somebody who needs a lot of guidance, there's nothing wrong with that, but PBL is not for you. Going to the lectures likely wouldn't help you much because A) no guarantee the lecture matches up well with the pages you picked B) PBL's schedule is on a totally different schedule than DSP, so whatever's happening in the lecture pathway isn't likely to do you much good and C) you're not doing the reading you needed to do in the first place. Promethean is also right that there are a lot of online resources out there, even though lectures aren't recorded. A lot of these are super helpful-- I should probably name my firstborn Goljan Sketchy Sattar LastName -- but at the same time, it's important to be wary about resource overload. The temptation exists to rely on these outside sources, which can backfire on you if you end up not doing the reading your exam actually covers.

Edited: grammar

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Been complete since 7/22 and pure silence since. 509 mcat 3.5 SGPA & CGPA. Anyone else in the same boat.
Yea I completed mine on 8/17. 503 MCAT 3.6 GPA. But I know someone on this forum that didn't get their II until almost 3 months after their secondary. Maybe they have more applicants to deal with this cycle.

Been complete since 7/22 and pure silence since. 509 mcat 3.5 SGPA & CGPA. Anyone else in the same boat.
Yea I completed mine on 8/17. 503 MCAT 3.6 GPA. But I know someone on this forum that didn't get their II until almost 3 months after their secondary. Maybe they have more applicants to deal with this cycle.

Similar boat. 8/23 secondary submitted. 505 MCAT. Can't remember off top of my head, but ~3.6 sgpa

lecom overall has very poor communication with its applicants.

Silence for me as well. Complete mid July and attended an affiliate school just down the road from locom. I've also emailed them an update and haven't heard anything

Sent from my SM-N920V using SDN mobile

completed early-mid july....still under review

FWIW, my application from last year is still under review so.........

completed early-mid july....still under review

FWIW, my application from last year is still under review so.........

So what you're saying is, for this school we should be especially worried about a silent rejection?

Just a heads up for those awaiting the October 1st decision. From last years thread, a lot of posters didn't get anything in the mail until a week later.

I will still be harassing the mailman on a daily basis as well :p

Reactions: 2 users
Just a heads up for those awaiting the October 1st decision. From last years thread, a lot of posters didn't get anything in the mail until a week later.

I will still be harassing the mailman on a daily basis as well :p

October 1 decision date for what?

Has anyone interviewed that's not ED yet?

Should I e-mail LECOM asking if they received my MCAT scores? I wound up saying I wanted to do AIS because my MCAT scores had been sent to AACOMAS and it had been weeks and I wasn't hearing back about completing a secondary, so then I filled out the AIS and got a secondary almost immediately....

Last edited:
Yes, you have the option to choose SH or Erie PBL

Not sure if he has shadowing/hospital work on his app if he is currently doing it? He probably already did this, but I would update the admissions counselors so they know he has all that extra experience. It sounds like he will get in unless he was unprofessional in his interview or has a red flag like academic integrity on his app

He said the interview went really well...he liked the group setting and then the individual interview. He has been shadowing a family practice doctor as well as working in the ER of a local hospital...he sent a update to his application indicating this activity. He used to work for the county Coroners Office for about 3 years and got a recommendation from that doc as well. Guess we will know where he stands soon...October is right around the corner.

Guys 15,000 people applied to this school last year. If you haven't heard back yet, august is probably their busiest month for apps and it takes a long time to go through.
Holy cow 15000.. That's almost triple the amount of total applicants my state's MD school got last year...

Received an II today, likely turning it down. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
He said the interview went really well...he liked the group setting and then the individual interview. He has been shadowing a family practice doctor as well as working in the ER of a local hospital...he sent a update to his application indicating this activity. He used to work for the county Coroners Office for about 3 years and got a recommendation from that doc as well. Guess we will know where he stands soon...October is right around the corner.
I think your son needs to give LECOM a good explanation why he wants to get in there. Otherwise, they may feel that he is overqualified and using them as a back up school in case he wont get into MD school. He is above average applicant for them ( Gpa 3.45 from Cornell and MCAT 35). Any DO school would like to hear why he chooses them over MD, and it gotta be believable story. Good luck, he is competitive for many MD schools and all DO schools. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
Got an II today! First II for this cycle, I'm all jitters!

Reactions: 7 users
Is anyone from the today's interview staying in town for the night? I'm looking for something to do since my flight doesn't leave until tomorrow and I have no idea what's around the town

Go to the beach at Presque Isle State Park; Also Bicentennial Tower Observation Deck :)
Enjoy

Is anyone from the today's interview staying in town for the night? I'm looking for something to do since my flight doesn't leave until tomorrow and I have no idea what's around the town

If you go tour their fitness center, they give you a free workout. It's worth seeing.

They didn't let me in when I visited in July .

I really wish I could've checked it out

Really? That's weird. I think they told us we could in our interview but I went the night before anyway. I didn't tell them I was there to interview. I just said I was in from out of town for a few days and offered to pay for a day pass. I didn't want anyone to know I was there for school bc I looked like a bum after driving all day!

I think your son needs to give LECOM a good explanation why he wants to get in there. Otherwise, they may feel that he is overqualified and using them as a back up school in case he wont get into MD school. He is above average applicant for them ( Gpa 3.45 from Cornell and MCAT 35). Any DO school would like to hear why he chooses them over MD, and it gotta be believable story. Good luck, he is competitive for many MD schools and all DO schools. Just my 2 cents.
Problem is..he got rejected without any interviews from all the MD schools he applied to last go around. No explanation...just that they had too many applicants. What was upsetting is the no explanation part. He has good grades...good mcat...good ECs....no issues...all he wants to do is move forward. Hope this came across in the interview.