Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Too many draconian rules. "okay" match list. But it is still better than the carribean and the tuition costs are really low.

I guess I'm weird...I like the rules because they make you feel like a professional and prepare your for 3rd and 4th year and beyond...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members don't see this ad.

I mean I think it'd be a pointless interview at this point anyways. On a public forum you just basically said you don't feel strongly about the school. You also said the day you got an invite, that you're from texas, and your lizzy m is posted haha no hate just don't know if you're aware
LOL I mean Im from Oklahoma and my LizzyM is 72 :) ( I love you LECOM)

Reactions: 1 user
Too many draconian rules. "okay" match list. But it is still better than the carribean and the tuition costs are really low.
Are these "rules" the dressing up everyone is speaking of? I like to dress up actually lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Are these "rules" the dressing up everyone is speaking of? I like to dress up actually lol
There is more to it than that. The rules on lecture attendance are a bit excessive and library closing at 11 pm are two things that come to mind.

No food or beverages allowed in classrooms and security guards at the entrance. LECOM is still a great school, but it does have strict rules.

security guards at the entrance

Just a f/u regarding that its like that everywhere in erie. Tons of cops running around throughout the whole area. A lot of buildings I visited had an entrance like LECOM with security guard (wearing body armor) and metal detectors . I was told the city used to have a big drug problem that translated into a bunch of other dangerous extracurriculars. The mayor got fed up and amped up security everywhere. I didn't have a problem with it and it seems like they cleaned up the whole area well. I had to walk around the city and I didn't feel any less safe.

No food or beverages allowed in classrooms and security guards at the entrance. LECOM is still a great school, but it does have strict rules.
OK that one is dumb but I can do the rules. Im more worried about the clinical rotation sites. Do you know if we have to travel all over the US for rotations or do they have a teaching hospital?

OK that one is dumb but I can do the rules. Im more worried about the clinical rotation sites. Do you know if we have to travel all over the US for rotations or do they have a teaching hospital?
Someone correct me if I am wrong, but as I recall, there isn't a teaching hospital. Rotation sites are all over penn and they have 3 away year-long rotations (in California( like 10 spots) and 2 in New York).

Stupid question alert: Can we somewhat choose what campus we go to? The II email comes with a document that describes how to schedule a visit with Seton Hill campus. Just curious.

Stupid question alert: Can we somewhat choose what campus we go to? The II email comes with a document that describes how to schedule a visit with Seton Hill campus. Just curious.
Yes. During the interview day, you rank where and what program you want. Seton Hill is PBL only.
Edit: you cannot choose the Brandenton campus as it's more of a distant cousin of LECOM with its own seperate admissions. Seton Hill and Erie are sister schools.

Last edited:
Although it might sound like I am talking s**t about LECOM, overall it's a good school compared to other DO programs in the country and I'll be thrilled if I get an acceptance letter tomorrow.

Although it might sound like I am talking s**t about LECOM, overall it's a good school compared to other DO programs in the country and I'll be thrilled if I get an acceptance letter tomorrow.

Same. I really had no business applying here--SDN at least thought so--and so if accepted I would be attending without question. While clearly less desirable, a waitlist would not be the end of the world...

Members don't see this ad :)
Same. I really had no business applying here--SDN at least thought so--and so if accepted I would be attending without question. While clearly less desirable, a waitlist would not be the end of the world...
Would they wait list someone this early? Out of my interviews so far, I'd choose LECOM over the other DO schools. Having less than 150k debt after graduation is really amazing and a lot of matches in the previous years were into hospitals that are 5-10 min drive from where I live so that's another upside to LECOM.

Would they wait list someone this early? Out of my interviews so far, I'd choose LECOM over the other DO schools. Having less than 150k debt after graduation is really amazing and a lot of matches in the previous years were into hospitals that are 5-10 min drive from where I live so that's another upside to LECOM.
Why LECOM over other DO schools?

Why LECOM over other DO schools?
I interviewed at 3 DO schools so far (won't mention which ones). School A was okay, seemed nice, but I cannot see myself traveling halfway across the country to attend a school that is more focused on spoon-feeding DO philosophy over teaching how to become a good physician, and has mediocre rotation sites and matches. I know that a school's match list is not a direct predictor of quality, but when year after year, students match only into the same unknown hospitals in middle-America, there is a higher chance that I would end up at those places. I only applied because my friend is a MS1 there. School B is located in a disgustingly affluent suburb, meaning that I have no chance of living near the school and the prices at nearby stores are absurd. The school has student housing, but they share it with another school and I am not about that dorm life. During the interview, they didn't offer any water or snacks until lunch time (4 1/2 hours after the start of the interview day), had to wait two hours before I was interviewed (took one applicant at a time to interview, while I and other applicants sat quietly in a tiny hallway with nothing to do), and current students were obnoxious and sarcastic instead of being helpful. I might be unreasonable here and nitpicking over minor things, but if thats how a school markets itself, then why should I invest $320k+ into this institution just to hate it. School C (Lecom) is the optimal choice out of the three. I posted a pro/cons list earlier in this thread, but what I liked about Lecom was how safe the immediate neighborhoods are, low-cost tuition and low-cost rent for apts that are located across the street, the facilities seemed nice and clean, current students were genuine and helpful, and the faculty (who were also the interviewers) were down-to-earth. Is Lecom the ideal school overall? Probably not, because I can see some opportunities being hampered by not having complete autonomy, but I will be getting a good education and living in a place where I can see myself being happy with my choice.

Last edited:
I mean I think it'd be a pointless interview at this point anyways. On a public forum you just basically said you don't feel strongly about the school. You also said the day you got an invite, that you're from texas, and your lizzy m is posted haha no hate just don't know if you're aware
After doing more research on this school, I am very interested in the 3 year fast track to IM. Plus they have a home IM residency :)

Hey guys! Has anyone interviewed at the Seton Hill campus? If so, can you give some details on how the day went? Thanks!

Hey guys! Has anyone interviewed at the Seton Hill campus? If so, can you give some details on how the day went? Thanks!

I really liked Seton Hill. The campus was beautiful and the weather was nice. Greensburg has everything you need but it honestly isn't the nicest city. Cost of living is cheap.

The interview day was pretty chill. They gave us about 20-30 min to get acquainted with other interviewees (16 total I think) with beverages/snacks. There was a presentation about the school and a talk from the assistant dean. We split up into groups where one went on a tour of the campus with a current student and the other group interviewed. The group interview was a friendly conversation with 2 interviewers. They asked 3-4 basic questions and everyone had a turn to talk. They just want to see how well you work in a group and interact with others.

PM me if you have any other questions.

I interviewed at 3 DO schools so far (won't mention which ones). School A was okay, seemed nice, but I cannot see myself traveling halfway across the country to attend a school that is more focused on spoon-feeding DO philosophy over teaching how to become a good physician, and has mediocre rotation sites and matches. I know that a school's match list is not a direct predictor of quality, but when year after year, students match only into the same unknown hospitals in middle-America, there is a higher chance that I would end up at those places. I only applied because my friend is a MS1 there. School B is located in a disgustingly affluent suburb, meaning that I have no chance of living near the school and the prices at nearby stores are absurd. The school has student housing, but they share it with another school and I am not about that dorm life. During the interview, they didn't offer any water or snacks until lunch time (4 1/2 hours after the start of the interview day), had to wait two hours before I was interviewed (took one applicant at a time to interview, while I and other applicants sat quietly in a tiny hallway with nothing to do), and current students were obnoxious and sarcastic instead of being helpful. I might be unreasonable here and nitpicking over minor things, but if thats how a school markets itself, then why should I invest $320k+ into this institution just to hate it. School C (Lecom) is the optimal choice out of the three. I posted a pro/cons list earlier in this thread, but what I liked about Lecom was how safe the immediate neighborhoods are, low-cost tuition and low-cost rent for apts that are located across the street, the facilities seemed nice and clean, current students were genuine and helpful, and the faculty (who were also the interviewers) were down-to-earth. Is Lecom the ideal school overall? Probably not, because I can see some opportunities being hampered by not having complete autonomy, but I will be getting a good education and living in a place where I can see myself being happy with my choice.

The main concern for me is the PBL curriculum. Most of it is tons of reading on your own. Personally I'm kind of a slow reader so I'm not sure if I would fit the learning style. Really seems like a great school though

The main concern for me is the PBL curriculum. Most of it is tons of reading on your own. Personally I'm kind of a slow reader so I'm not sure if I would fit the learning style. Really seems like a great school though
Same here and that the PBL pathway does not have an anatomy lab.

Reactions: 1 users
My son just received his acceptance letter...located in NY. Today is a good day.

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted PBL. Living in Florida. Good luck everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Did any of you that were accepted not see a portal update?
I just interviewed last Friday but when we signed the paper last week it said we would hear on the 30th, so I'm curious how that will work.

I''m hoping this first round of acceptances leads to a few more II being given out...does anyone think it would be worth while to call admissions yet? I was complete 7/25 and have just had complete silence.

Sadly nothing came in the mail today. I know another FL person got news so maybe Monday

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I got quite a workout today. I ran up and down three floors, every half an hour (15 times) to check if I got any mail.

@pcrlife I'm in the same boat. I was complete mid-July and no II yet. I sent an email to admissions but no response yet. Patiently waiting though :)

I''m hoping this first round of acceptances leads to a few more II being given out...does anyone think it would be worth while to call admissions yet? I was complete 7/25 and have just had complete silence.
Same here complete 8/17 and not a peep :(

Waitlisted... It isn't rejected but it isn't accepted either...

Reactions: 1 users
I'd love to get an II from LECOM soon

Waitlisted... It isn't rejected but it isn't accepted either...

Well, I am gonna take a shot in the dark and say that LECOM was not on your top list? I mean, with a 510 I expect you to get IIs for MD schools so that must mean you could/are aiming for really strong DO schools, i.e. NOVA, CCOM.

Good Luck either way, I expect you will have success this cycle!

Well, I am gonna take a shot in the dark and say that LECOM was not on your top list? I mean, with a 510 I expect you to get IIs for MD schools so that must mean you could/are aiming for really strong DO schools, i.e. NOVA, CCOM.

Good Luck either way, I expect you will have success this cycle!

Tbh it wasn't going in the interview but was a top contender after the interview. We will see how this cycle plays out I guess

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but as I recall, there isn't a teaching hospital. Rotation sites are all over penn and they have 3 away year-long rotations (in California( like 10 spots) and 2 in New York).

Just to clarify, there are a lot of rotation sites spread throughout Pennsylvania, Ohio and New York, plus one in Michigan and one in California. All of them are "year-long" except for the geriatrics rotation in Erie, and exceptions if a site happens to not offer a particular rotation. Can't find it for you right now, but I wrote a detailed description of how rotations are set up on the first page of this thread.

Accepted (even though I felt I gave the most embarrassing group answer lol) But will be withdrawing my acceptance - hope it goes to one of you guys! Good Luck!!!! :luck::luck::luck:

Reactions: 3 users
Accepted (even though I felt I gave the most embarrassing group answer lol) But will be withdrawing my acceptance - hope it goes to one of you guys! Good Luck!!!! :luck::luck::luck:

What was your group answer? I kept saying the most ridiculous things!

You got that yesterday or today ?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
Today!
What was your group answer? I kept saying the most ridiculous things!
I think the question was regarding your "most difficult class" and I basically said coming out of high school I was terrible at studying science so my motivation to study harder my freshman year was fear. No self-reflection, lesson learned or anything - Just fear. :smack:

everyone else obviously had better answers lol

Last edited:
@MDProspect I cannot understand any appeal for LECOM. Interview chairs were HORRIBLE, thee most uncomfortable chairs out of any interview day I have been to. The entire interview process was them describing their curriculum and how everyone hates LECOM, and them trying to justify why it's not as bad as why people say it is online. Snowiest city in the U.S. All the nitpicky rules (dress code, NO WATER in class, must attend school for graduation, etc...). The building was depressing and just dark.... it literally looked like a prison with security guards and metal detectors up front in an otherwise suburban neighborhood.

Also, their justifications were complete bs (even though they tried to make it sound legit). Claim 1) "Dress code is mandatory because 1 year we saw that when we implemented a dress code, board scores went up. Therefore, we implemented the dress code ever since." Has anyone ever told them that "Correlation does NOT equal causation." Just because board scores went up the year you implemented a dress code does NOT mean that they went up BECAUSE of the dress code. Especially when there are many other schools who have no dress codes who do just as well or better on boards. Ughh it was so clear that this is one of those schools that's rigid on their standards and procedures. For a field like medicine, this is horrible. I want to learn medicine in the way it should be taught in 2016, not 1992.

Edit: I really don't like bashing a school, but what drives me over the edge here is the sense that you cannot complain in this school. It seems like they just want to run things the way they want, and if you complain it will only hurt you. It's one of those schools where you have to "keep your head down and just do your work" kind of places. It's ok if a school has its flaws, but it's not okay when the faculty and administration aren't willing to address the issues and would rather punish you for speaking up than addressing the complaints.

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users