Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@MDProspect I cannot understand any appeal for LECOM. Interview chairs were HORRIBLE, thee most uncomfortable chairs out of any interview day I have been to. The entire interview process was them describing their curriculum and how everyone hates LECOM, and them trying to justify why it's not as bad as why people say it is online. Snowiest city in the U.S. All the nitpicky rules (dress code, NO WATER in class, must attend school for graduation, etc...). The building was depressing and just dark.... it literally looked like a prison with security guards and metal detectors up front in an otherwise suburban neighborhood.

Also, their justifications were complete bs (even though they tried to make it sound legit). Claim 1) "Dress code is mandatory because 1 year we saw that when we implemented a dress code, board scores went up. Therefore, we implemented the dress code ever since." Has anyone ever told them that "Correlation does NOT equal causation." Just because board scores went up the year you implemented a dress code does NOT mean that they went up BECAUSE of the dress code. Especially when there are many other schools who have no dress codes who do just as well or better on boards. Ughh it was so clear that this is one of those schools that's rigid on their standards and procedures. For a field like medicine, this is horrible. I want to learn medicine in the way it should be taught in 2016, not 1992.

Edit: I really don't like bashing a school, but what drives me over the edge here is the sense that you cannot complain in this school. It seems like they just want to run things the way they want, and if you complain it will only hurt you. It's one of those schools where you have to "keep your head down and just do your work" kind of places. It's ok if a school has its flaws, but it's not okay when the faculty and administration aren't willing to address the issues and would rather punish you for speaking up than addressing the complaints.

One 3rd year student told us you will also get expelled for being too loud in your own apartment.
Just saying lol. They seems very strict about discipline though. Maybe good for somebody

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
OK that one is dumb but I can do the rules. Im more worried about the clinical rotation sites. Do you know if we have to travel all over the US for rotations or do they have a teaching hospital?
They do have a teaching hospital - Millcreek community. There is also St. Vincents and Hamot hospitals in town you can rotate. There is a shriner's hospital there too.

Members don't see this ad :)
Appreciate it :). Just not looking forward to being stressed out for the next couple months wondering if anybody is going to accept me.
It will just be that much sweeter when you DO get that acceptance. ;)

Wow so no one has been rejected post interview thus far??

@MDProspect Interview chairs were HORRIBLE, thee most uncomfortable chairs out of any interview day I have been to.
Those really were some bad chairs. I was so disappointed to see they had the same ones in the library. Makes it a waste of a nice quiet study space.

Those really were some bad chairs. I was so disappointed to see they had the same ones in the library. Makes it a waste of a nice quiet study space.

AND in the cafeteria. On the other hand, ACOM's lecture and interview chairs cost $1,000 each because they know their students have to sit in them, so the seats are special as they reduce tension and back pain. I was definitely impressed by ACOM's seats. (They look like Alien chairs)

http://www.batson-cook.com/images/sized/images/uploads/content/ACOM54-920x405.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
Reactions: 1 users
Reactions: 6 users
I'm gonna cross post this from the SH thread:

Well folks, this has been an incredibly bizarre admissions cycle for me since I am the definition of an underdog applicant, but I just received an acceptance to LECOM-SH today.

I am really excited and grateful. What I can say is that either my responses in the interview went over well with the interviewers or that my pre-med committee letter was amazing, like Mona Lisa amazing. Anyways, my excitement has already turned into anxiety over whether or not I can successfully navigate through the PBL curriculum. I believe I can, but will likely rely on my classmates!

Also, special shout out to @LSDiVinci , @Jmust171 , and @ortnakas for taking the time to answer my questions--believe me when I say that the advice offered really helped in my mental preparation for interview day!

Also, anyone know of a LECOM Class of 2021 FB yet?

Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Waitlisted, aligns with about how I felt the interview went haha

Reactions: 2 users
I'm gonna cross post this from the SH thread:

Well folks, this has been an incredibly bizarre admissions cycle for me since I am the definition of an underdog applicant, but I just received an acceptance to LECOM-SH today.

I am really excited and grateful. What I can say is that either my responses in the interview went over well with the interviewers or that my pre-med committee letter was amazing, like Mona Lisa amazing. Anyways, my excitement has already turned into anxiety over whether or not I can successfully navigate through the PBL curriculum. I believe I can, but will likely rely on my classmates!

Also, special shout out to @LSDiVinci , @Jmust171 , and @ortnakas for taking the time to answer my questions--believe me when I say that the advice offered really helped in my mental preparation for interview day!

Also, anyone know of a LECOM Class of 2021 FB yet?
Not going to BCOM no more?

Accepted today via snail mail! First one!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 11 users
Do you guys know about the 3-year fast track program here? It says if you do not go into a FM or IM then you have to pay back the scholarship. So is this track fully/partially paid for? Im a little confused.

Did anyone who interviewed early August not get a letter yet?

PS I'm from SoCal not sure if that's relevant

Last edited:
Also interviewed and chose ED and no letter yet.

I'm in NJ so I expected it before the weekend was over. We've had a lot of rain lately though so maybe that's slowing down the mail, who knows.

Did anyone who interviewed early August not get a letter yet?

PS I'm from SoCal not sure if that's relevant

I'm from SoCal too. I interviewed at Seton Hill on the first day and got my acceptance letter yesterday. I'm sure yours will be there Monday! Good Luck!!!

ACCEPTED TO THE PRIMARY CARE SCHOLARS PATHWAY!!!!

Reactions: 9 users
Can anybody comment how waitlist works here? I have two weeks to accept my alternate status then do we just hang out until summer?

There doesn't seem to be any contact for f/u regarding status updates or anything.

Can anybody comment how waitlist works here? I have two weeks to accept my alternate status then do we just hang out until summer?

There doesn't seem to be any contact for f/u regarding status updates or anything.

Do they make you pay to be on the wait list?

Do they make you pay to be on the wait list?

No they just provided a form that give you two options 1) Accept alternate status 2) Withdraw application. You have two weeks from the postmarked date to reply or they drop your application apparently. After checking last years thread, most of them didn't hear anything until may.

AND in the cafeteria. On the other hand, ACOM's lecture and interview chairs cost $1,000 each because they know their students have to sit in them, so the seats are special as they reduce tension and back pain. I was definitely impressed by ACOM's seats. (They look like Alien chairs)

http://www.batson-cook.com/images/sized/images/uploads/content/ACOM54-920x405.jpg

I think SDN needs to make an official ranking of "Medical School Chairs" combining both MD and DO.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone else being held for Fall 2016 grades post-interview? Applied Early Decision, but was told that I would receive notification after review of my transcripts for this semester. Not sure if this is a waitlist, provisional acceptance, or deferral situation.

Last edited:
Regretting not doing early decision. All of these acceptances are making me anxious haha.

Not going to BCOM no more?

I don't think so. Truthfully, LECOM is a proven commodity, and at least here in FL, the name LECOM carries weight with physicians. Of course I think some of their school's policies could use some revision, but in the grand scheme of things it's peanuts.

It just sucks because I had to pay the 3k deposit already to BCOM, but the money I'd save by going to LECOM certainly is more significant in the long run.

@MDProspect I cannot understand any appeal for LECOM. Interview chairs were HORRIBLE, thee most uncomfortable chairs out of any interview day I have been to. The entire interview process was them describing their curriculum and how everyone hates LECOM, and them trying to justify why it's not as bad as why people say it is online. Snowiest city in the U.S. All the nitpicky rules (dress code, NO WATER in class, must attend school for graduation, etc...). The building was depressing and just dark.... it literally looked like a prison with security guards and metal detectors up front in an otherwise suburban neighborhood.

Also, their justifications were complete bs (even though they tried to make it sound legit). Claim 1) "Dress code is mandatory because 1 year we saw that when we implemented a dress code, board scores went up. Therefore, we implemented the dress code ever since." Has anyone ever told them that "Correlation does NOT equal causation." Just because board scores went up the year you implemented a dress code does NOT mean that they went up BECAUSE of the dress code. Especially when there are many other schools who have no dress codes who do just as well or better on boards. Ughh it was so clear that this is one of those schools that's rigid on their standards and procedures. For a field like medicine, this is horrible. I want to learn medicine in the way it should be taught in 2016, not 1992.

Edit: I really don't like bashing a school, but what drives me over the edge here is the sense that you cannot complain in this school. It seems like they just want to run things the way they want, and if you complain it will only hurt you. It's one of those schools where you have to "keep your head down and just do your work" kind of places. It's ok if a school has its flaws, but it's not okay when the faculty and administration aren't willing to address the issues and would rather punish you for speaking up than addressing the complaints.

Even though there might be little "appeal" for LECOM, it sure beats going to the Caribbean or not becoming a doctor at all. I am a reapplicant. Last year, I did not get in anywhere. Sitting at home for almost two years, while all of my friends and colleagues have surpassed me in every way possible, has caused many sleepless nights, depression, and self-doubt. Most schools won't touch me with a ten foot pole and I wish I knew why. LECOM is not perfect, no school is, but now, I got an opportunity to become a physician. This has been my goal for many years. There are rules that I might not agree with and will most likely hate them, but it's a small price to pay compared to actually achieving my dream. With LECOM, I can get my degree with less than 150k in debt. With their 100% match rate in the past match cycles, I don't have to worry that I'll be pursuing my degree just to be SOL when I am done in four years from now. Besides, Erie is a nice and affordable town.

Last edited:
Reactions: 13 users
Even though there might be little "appeal" for LECOM, it sure beats going to the Caribbean or not becoming a doctor at all. I am a reapplicant. Last year, I did not get in anywhere. Sitting at home for almost two years, while all of my friends and colleagues surpassed me in every way possible, has caused many sleepless nights, depression, and self-doubt. Most schools won't touch me with a ten foot pole and I wish I knew why. LECOM is not perfect, no school is, but now, I got an opportunity to become a physician. This has been my goal for many years. There are rules that I might not agree with and will most likely hate them, but it's a small price to pay compared to actually achieving my dream. With LECOM, I can get my degree with less than 150k in debt. With their 100% match rate in the past match cycles, I don't have to worry that I'll be pursuing my degree just to be SOL when I am done in four years from now. Besides, Erie is a nice and affordable town.

An established school with >97% on boards every year and cheap tuition/cost of living = enough appeal for me

Even though there might be little "appeal" for LECOM, it sure beats going to the Caribbean or not becoming a doctor at all. I am a reapplicant. Last year, I did not get in anywhere. Sitting at home for almost two years, while all of my friends and colleagues surpassed me in every way possible, has caused many sleepless nights, depression, and self-doubt. Most schools won't touch me with a ten foot pole and I wish I knew why. LECOM is not perfect, no school is, but now, I got an opportunity to become a physician. This has been my goal for many years. There are rules that I might not agree with and will most likely hate them, but it's a small price to pay compared to actually achieving my dream. With LECOM, I can get my degree with less than 150k in debt. With their 100% match rate in the past match cycles, I don't have to worry that I'll be pursuing my degree just to be SOL when I am done in four years from now. Besides, Erie is a nice and affordable town.

Too true. Being able to choose the school is a luxury many are not afforded. Objectively, the school is a means to an end. Whatever might have to be "endured" is a small price to pay for a medical education and a profession that allows an employment of my passions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I like how all of you think. I'm tired of all the negativity surrounding LECOM. I'm happy to get an acceptance letter already, even if it is from LECOM.

Do you guys know about the 3-year fast track program here? It says if you do not go into a FM or IM then you have to pay back the scholarship. So is this track fully/partially paid for? Im a little confused.

You get 4 years of medical school in 3 years, and they lose out on 1 year of tuition that you would otherwise have had to pay them. They consider that a scholarship. If you reneg on your commitment to go into primary care, then you are asked to pay for the tuition you got to skip out on. It is a way to keep people from taking advantage of the program's benefits without fulfilling its purpose.

You can certainly complain. You have to be a professional about it... and just because any one person doesn't like something doesn't mean that the school will drop everything to change it for them. They have reasons for doing things the way that they do them. They tell everyone up front what the rules are, from the interview day. If you don't like them, you have a lot of options, including not coming here. Those of us who have chosen to come here did so knowing what the rules are, and we either don't mind them that much, or maybe even appreciate the way things are.

I'm fascinated at how most of the people who talk about how awful LECOM is are people who do not go here. It has its problems, no doubt, but those of us who have chosen this school can see that the pros far outweigh the cons, at least for us. If you feel differently, that is fine. Just, don't say you hate bashing a school and then do it anyway. Especially if your whole experience of the place is an uncomfortable chair at the interview. There's plenty of people who would be grateful for that seat, however uncomfortable you found it.

One 3rd year student told us you will also get expelled for being too loud in your own apartment.
Just saying lol. They seems very strict about discipline though. Maybe good for somebody

LOL. You forgot about how they beat us and starve us and use cattle prods on us, too! No one gets expelled for being too loud in their own apartment. LECOM doesn't own any student housing, so I'm not sure how that would work. (They may eventually own the apartments across the street, but not at present.) Medical schools are not keen to expel anyone, and certainly not for BS reasons like that. This is one of those cases where people repeat rumors that they have heard and they get bigger and worse every telling. If anyone got expelled from here, it must have involved a lot more than just being too loud. They aren't telling the rest of the story.

There are enough actual things to criticize, without having to invent them.

Reactions: 6 users
This. Also, I'm sure anyone else that has already worked at a hospital will agree- as a medical professional you will have to put up with rules, professional expectations, and red tape throughout your entire career.

I think this is why LECOMs rules don't bother me. I worked in hospitals for a decade before I came here. There was a dress code. I couldn't have food and drinks in the OR. My job had a mandatory attendance policy and if I chose not to show up, I was expected to let someone know and to get an excuse under certain circumstances.

I think that if someone is coming out of undergrad and has never had a real professional job before, they see LECOM's rules as outrageous and draconian. Those of us who actually spent a significant amount of time in the real world just roll with it. I get an excellent medical education in 3 years instead of 4 (because of LECOM's innovative PCSP program) and for 50-75% of what it would cost me to go to the next least expensive schools that were on my list? But I have to wear a tie and go to class? Oh no, the horror.

Some words of advice for anyone who has an upcoming interview:

1) During the interview, be calm and take control. When the interviewer gives the discussion question, don't be sheepish and just agree with the group. I won't post the specifics of the question that my group was asked, but everyone in my group, without much thought just accepted the easy choice, X. When it was my turn to speak, I presented my case for Y by backing up my answer with hypothetical scenarios and some ethical guidelines that I know. By the time I was done, I convinced my group to go with choice Y instead of X. Two of my group mates, with whom I have kept contact with, have been waitlisted for blatantly agreeing with X.

2) During the optional 1-on-1 interview, you will be asked a specific question. Like why DO or why LECOM or why should we choose you.
Know the philosophies of osteopathic medicine and what a DO does. You don't need to know who A.T Still was, but know that there is more to DO than just " I really want to treat my patients in a holistic way". Today, both MD and DO have a comprehensive approach to patient care, so the aforementioned answer won't cut it.

3) KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid). I have been using this as a strategy for interviews. Don't ramble. Less is more. Stick to a narrative and tie your background to your answers. When I was asked why DO. I started out by mentioning how DOs have a long history of serving underprivileged communities and how my community has in part influenced my decisions of wanting to become an osteopathic physician. My second part of the answer had to do with my past employment experience. Working in this medical office has sparked my interest in a particular field and as a DO, I could help alleviate the shortage of doctors in this field.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
waitlisted!!!!!! darn it!!!!!!!! what are the chances of this moving :'( ??

Mail finally came today. Accepted for PBL at SH which was my first choice.

FWIW: Non-trad (age 30), 3.6ish GPA, 504 MCAT. Not a science major, did all pre-reqs at community college, and more or less said in the group interview that I don't care if I go to LECOM or another school, I just want to be a doctor. Also basically embarassed myself with a comment exposing my lack of knowledge in the PBL demonstration, but I won't specify as I've probably provided too much identifying info as it is. If I can do it, so can the rest of you!

Truth be told though, I'm very glad I did get into LECOM and I won't be considering any other schools. I like the Greensburg area, I like the PBL format, and the price can't be beat.

Im REALLY interested in their Primary Scholars Pathway. I scheduled for December. Would it be worth it to move my interview date to 10/20/16?

waitlisted!!!!!! darn it!!!!!!!! what are the chances of this moving :'( ??
Welcome to the club friend. Last years thread didn't see any movement until may. Have a seat and get comfortable because we are going to be waiting a while :)

Welcome to the club friend. Last years thread didn't see any movement until may. Have a seat and get comfortable because we are going to be waiting a while :)

Really?? I thought they review it every so often? ugh so lame because I was WL'd last cycle at only one school too and didn't get in! Crossing my fingers for us!

Reactions: 1 users