Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
So if I have interviews at LECOM Bradenton & LECOM Eerie, can I only get accepted into one? My Bradenton interview is a month before my Eerie interview, should I try to have a later decision? Or are both schools basically the same and location is the only difference?

I believe they can both accept you, Erie & Seton Hill are interchangeable but Bradenton need's to have a separate interview for that school. However, I would call admissions and verify this.

I believe they can both accept you, Erie & Seton Hill are interchangeable but Bradenton need's to have a separate interview for that school. However, I would call admissions and verify this.
Thank you!

Erie and Bradenton are separate. One will offer and if you accept that, your application is automatically closed at the other school. Seton Hill is a branch campus of Erie, so yes, it is interchangeable with Erie.

Reactions: 1 user
What are the average stats here? I have a 3.4 gpa (both) and a 500 on the mcat.

Just to confirm- LECOM-B does closed file and only group interviews right? No option for individual interview?

You'd probably have better luck on the Bradenton Tread. But yes, the group interview is closed fine. You do have an extra MMI session at the end that is one on one. No, it's not optional.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Hey guys, I interviewed on Sept. 23rd and opted for the early decision notification. Still haven't received any portal change or mail, wanted to know if anyone else was in the same boat and if I should email admissions maybe...congrats to all those accepted!

Hey guys, I interviewed on Sept. 23rd and opted for the early decision notification. Still haven't received any portal change or mail, wanted to know if anyone else was in the same boat and if I should email admissions maybe...congrats to all those accepted!

Sept 23 -> Sept 30 is a quick turnaround that they still have to get to the hundreds of applicants they looked at before you. I would give it until the end of this week (Thursday maybe) and then call and ask whats up. It may just be your ED is later than ours was?

We interviewed the same day. I am in the same boat. No portal change or letter. Someone I know called them and was told to just sit tight.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sept 23 -> Sept 30 is a quick turnaround that they still have to get to the hundreds of applicants they looked at before you. I would give it until the end of this week (Thursday maybe) and then call and ask whats up. It may just be your ED is later than ours was?

Hmm Yeah thats what I was thinking, I'll probably just wait it out till next week and see if anything changes, hopefully I didn't bomb the interview lol Thanks for the response!

Withdrew my application so hope one of u guys that been waiting gets a shot

Reactions: 2 users
I feel like applying to LECOM without exceptional stats is a donation at this point. Complete in July and still nothing.

Erie and Bradenton are separate. One will offer and if you accept that, your application is automatically closed at the other school. Seton Hill is a branch campus of Erie, so yes, it is interchangeable with Erie.

Are you sure about that? A few years ago I got interviewed and waitlisted at Bradenton after being accepted at Seton Hill-- they confirmed my spot on the waitlist and didn't tell me I was off of it until I'd been in Pennsylvania for months. This may have changed though, plus you're in Erie so your knowledge of the mothership is probably better than mine.

As far as changing pathways/campuses, I know this is true but I'll add that it depends on availability. For example, as of right now you could probably switch from Erie DSP or either PBL into LDP pretty easily, and maybe between the DSP/PBLs. But by springtime when the class is basically full at any given point in time, switching is less likely to be available. My understanding is it's pretty easy to switch into LDP from any pathway while anatomy is still going on, but switching out is harder, and any switching after that is unlikely because the pathways don't cover the same material at the same time.

Edited: to add clarity

When do they start sending out decisions for the regular (non-early) decision group?

Had a great group at LECOM - SH this morning. If any of you are in here, it was great to meet you, and good luck!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Great interview at SH this morning! I was reading some applicants on pervious dates got an option for early decision. Are we past this option, because all we did was rank pathways?

Great interview at SH this morning! I was reading some applicants on pervious dates got an option for early decision. Are we past this option, because all we did was rank pathways?

I was wondering the same thing... there was no mention of how things worked post-interview

Some early decisions got their acceptances in September, so I'm assuming we're in regular decision territory now.

Are you sure about that? A few years ago I got interviewed and waitlisted at Bradenton after being accepted at Seton Hill-- they confirmed my spot on the waitlist and didn't tell me I was off of it until I'd been in Pennsylvania for months. This may have changed though, plus you're in Erie so your knowledge of the mothership is probably better than mine.

As far as changing pathways/campuses, I know this is true but I'll add that it depends on availability. For example, as of right now you could probably switch from Erie DSP or either PBL into LDP pretty easily, and maybe between the DSP/PBLs. But by springtime when the class is basically full at any given point in time, switching is less likely to be available. My understanding is it's pretty easy to switch into LDP from any pathway while anatomy is still going on, but switching out is harder, and any switching after that is unlikely because the pathways don't cover the same material at the same time.

Edited: to add clarity

I only know what people have reported here, as there have been folks who were planning to collect several acceptances and then choose from among them who were disappointed to find that LECOM did not let them hold simultaneous acceptances to Erie and Bradenton, even temporarily.

Your understanding about it being easier to switch into LDP does match what I've been told by others. Again, it isn't something that I have a lot of personal experience with, since there is no way that I'd willingly switch out of my pathway. =) I think it would be really, really hard to switch into PBL after even the first week or so. The way they do things is fairly divergent from DSP and LDP. DSP more or less follows LDPs curriculum and exam schedule, we are just doing more on our own rather than in lectures. PBL is doing its own thing entirely and testing twice a term.

Interesting, it would make sense because the point of the early decision option was to learn prior to Oct. 30. Seeing as the school waits after several interview dates to sit down and assess applicants suggests to me that for those interview recently and this month will hear, IIRC, before Nov 30th or sometime in December.

Just got an II! Super excited, complete 9/19.

Reactions: 6 users
Interesting, it would make sense because the point of the early decision option was to learn prior to Oct. 30. Seeing as the school waits after several interview dates to sit down and assess applicants suggests to me that for those interview recently and this month will hear, IIRC, before Nov 30th or sometime in December.

Part of me wants to inquire about when we might find out because it wasn't discussed at the interview, and another part of me doesn't want to look impatient.

I emailed them yesterday because I had chosen early decision and they said they are a little behind in letters hopefully within the next couple of weeks

I emailed them yesterday because I had chosen early decision and they said they are a little behind in letters hopefully within the next couple of weeks

Did your portal status change yet?

II! Complete end of August. Looks like the earliest interview dates available are towards the end of January

Reactions: 3 users
II yesterday morning before my BCOM interview. When I opened my portal before they had a 10/28 available but 6 hours later all they had was January complete 9-20

Fun fact: my LECOM portal hasn't updated STILL from the 15-16 cycle

Reactions: 5 users
Stupid question likely but how am I supposed to send in the deposit? By snail mail, or can I go to my bank and ask them to do it for me? I could not find the information in the matriculation packet...

Thanks!

Fun fact: my LECOM portal hasn't updated STILL from the 15-16 cycle
My portal never changed last cycle, although I did receive a decision letter in the mail. My assumption is that the portal means nothing and admissions does not have any defined policy regarding it.

Stupid question likely but how am I supposed to send in the deposit? By snail mail, or can I go to my bank and ask them to do it for me? I could not find the information in the matriculation packet...

Thanks!

In the matriculation agreement it says to send it in certified mail and they give the address to send it to (in Erie). I just went to the post office and they helped me do it

Reactions: 1 users
Giving up my acceptance. I hope it goes to one of you deserving people.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users