Lake Erie College of Osteopathic Medicine (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know when to expect waitlist movement?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Last threads saw initial movement in may. It will be a long wait but hopefully it will pay off friend :)

From speaking with current students, LECOM-SH, at least last year, experienced heavy waitlist movement right up until the day before classes start. I expect it to be the same this year.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
From speaking with current students, LECOM-SH, at least last year, experienced heavy waitlist movement right up until the day before classes start. I expect it to be the same this year.
That would be the worst! I am a Florida native so just picking up and moving that far would be really hard!

That would be the worst! I am a Florida native so just picking up and moving that far would be really hard!
They did say that you can find out up until the first day of class lol

They did say that you can find out up until the first day of class lol

You are right but I would be so stressed out if I had to wait until the late June/July to get in. By that point, most of us would've reapplied for the next cycle and set up back up-plans. Now we would be boned to find housing (more $$$ because we would need rushed to find anything available), moving (thought you were going to do a road trip to save $$ now you are just running over there and asking family to send it through expensive contractors or running back and forth over the weekends for the first couple months) in a week while going through orientation.

Looking at all the hurdles some of these students would have to do in a short amount of time I understand why some would just defer to next application cycle. Would I do it if forced to be in that situation? YOU FLIPPING KNOW IT

Reactions: 5 users
anyone interview 9/30 that is still waiting for a decision?

completed secondary at the end of August, Interview invite 10-3 and interviewing in November; was waitlisted last year after applying late February and interviewing at the end of April.

Reactions: 1 users
Interviewing 11/18, is the interview group, individual, or both?

Is it too late to apply here? When is it too late?

I have a 500 mcat and 3.7 science GPA/3.8 overall GPA

Members don't see this ad :)

It is probably late. Ideally, you want to convince them that you are really interested, but LECOM does not have secondary essays so you won't get a chance to demonstrate your passion unless you get an interview. Since you are applying after 10/15, it is quite possible that LECOM would think that you are only applying because you are not getting any good news from other schools. That being said, you will never get in unless you apply so it is really up to you.

It is probably late. Ideally, you want to convince them that you are really interested, but LECOM does not have secondary essays so you won't get a chance to demonstrate your passion unless you get an interview. Since you are applying after 10/15, it is quite possible that LECOM would think that you are only applying because you are not getting any good news from other schools. That being said, you will never get in unless you apply so it is really up to you.
The thing is I am only applying to one other school(William Carey), I got their secondary, but no ii yet?

Last edited:
The thing is I am only applying to one other school(William Carey), I got their secondary, but no ii yet?
I don't want to sound harsh, but if you are serious about going to a med school, you need to apply to ~10 schools at least. Getting secondaries is almost guaranteed, but IIs is significantly harder for any school so I would say it is normal that you have not gotten an II from William Carey yet.

Reactions: 2 users
For all that have applied to multiple LECOM campus's, have there been differences? Trying to see if one is harder than the other to get an interview for. I really would like to go to Erie (close to home in Buffalo) but not sure if there are difference academic standards for the different campuses?

I don't want to sound harsh, but if you are serious about going to a med school, you need to apply to ~10 schools at least. Getting secondaries is almost guaranteed, but IIs is significantly harder for any school so I would say it is normal that you have not gotten an II from William Carey yet.

I completely agree with @Secondborn, you need to send out more apps. An individual applying confidently with strong stats should apply to a minimum of 8-12 schools. Especially when 1 out of 2 of your schools is LECOM. They are very picky with who they interview. For this school, it seems like once you meet the minimums, the rest of your app. plays a huge role in whether or not you get an II.. There have been people with stellar stats not getting II's.

I have no experience with WCUCOM.

I recommend looking into these for starters: ACOM, RVUCOM (both CO & UT campuses), & the Touro's (except the NY campus; SDN is currently shunning them for a mishap they had last cycle.)

There are TONS more to look into, but I am biased to push these ones because I've visited them and loved them. :D

For all that have applied to multiple LECOM campus's, have there been differences? Trying to see if one is harder than the other to get an interview for. I really would like to go to Erie (close to home in Buffalo) but not sure if there are difference academic standards for the different campuses?
Erie is all the possible learning types: LDL, PBL, etc.
SH is PBL only

Bradenton is a different application but is also PBL only

Does anyone know how long it takes LECOM to get back post secondary? I have been "under review" for over a month....

@HFlash Join the club. Been under review since Mid-July. I suspect they are still getting through the high number of applicants with very impressive stats/EC's.

Anyone offer some tips for interviewing here? I heard there's a mandatory group interview and optional interview. Is it a discussion about ethics and you have to go against the grain to stand out?

I thought they said at my interview we'd here back in about 30 days, but I'm not 100% sure. Does that sound right to anyone?

I thought they said at my interview we'd here back in about 30 days, but I'm not 100% sure. Does that sound right to anyone?

I signed up for early acceptance so I was expecting pretty soon after my interview.

I would go for it if I were you. It's a cheap and quick secondary. So the worst thing that could happen is you lose your deepest (which is only $50 i think?). If I were you I would give it a shot!

accepted here early decision, but it doesn't look like i have to deposit the $1500 fee if I don't plan on going here? is that correct? I got accepted to the school I want to go to, so I won't be forced to pay LECOM the deposit if I don't plan on going here... right? or was I bound to pay up $1500 even if I don't plan on going here.

If you don't plan on attending (and don't wish to hold a spot), you don't have to pay the deposit. If you don't mind me asking, what day did you interview?

accepted here early decision, but it doesn't look like i have to deposit the $1500 fee if I don't plan on going here? is that correct? I got accepted to the school I want to go to, so I won't be forced to pay LECOM the deposit if I don't plan on going here... right? or was I bound to pay up $1500 even if I don't plan on going here.

$1500 deposit is needed to hold the spot. If you 100% sure that you are not going to LECOM, then don't put a deposit.

I got a confirmation email from both campuses saying my AACOMAS app was received as of 06/25, and that they would be in contact about my app. As of now, I haven't gotten a secondary or any other communication from the school. Should I email them? Or just assume I am rejected?

I got a confirmation email from both campuses saying my AACOMAS app was received as of 06/25, and that they would be in contact about my app. As of now, I haven't gotten a secondary or any other communication from the school. Should I email them? Or just assume I am rejected?

I would definitely call them and see what's up

I'm not sure if this question has been asked here or not, but can anyone tell me why you would choose the Erie campus over the Seton Hill campus?
Or vice versa? Any input would be well appreciated!

I'm not sure if this question has been asked here or not, but can anyone tell me why you would choose the Erie campus over the Seton Hill campus?
Or vice versa? Any input would be well appreciated!

I think the most important thing to consider is that Seton hill is PBL only, Erie has different learning pathways to choose from PBL or lecture.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I think the most important thing to consider is that Seton hill is PBL only, Erie has different learning pathways to choose from PBL or lecture.

What about things like location, cadaver lab access, clinical rotation sites, etc...
Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

NY resident here. Would love to attend LECOM. Do I have a chance? 3.71/3.62 (w/o replacement), 499 MCAT.

Interviewed 9/30 feeling pretty good about how it went. Only a week left of waiting

Interviewed 9/30 feeling pretty good about how it went. Only a week left of waiting

When did they say you'd hear? I interviewed a week before and they made it seem that I'd hear before now.

When did they say you'd hear? I interviewed a week before and they made it seem that I'd hear before now.
They said that since our dates were so close to October first that we could not choose the early decision date they said well hear by November first if they aren't behind

They said that since our dates were so close to October first that we could not choose the early decision date they said well hear by November first if they aren't behind

They must be behind. I definitely signed up for early decision.

They must be behind. I definitely signed up for early decision.
They said on 9/30 that interviewers on 9/23 even though they signed up for early decision would be pushed to the regular decision because it was so close to the early decision deadline and they wanted to make sure they gave everyone's app a fair look

They said on 9/30 that interviewers on 9/23 even though they signed up for early decision would be pushed to the regular decision because it was so close to the early decision deadline and they wanted to make sure they gave everyone's app a fair look

Hmm ok. So we should be hearing this week then?

9/30 interviewees were told they might hear back on 10/30. anyone think this is still gonna be true? im getting anxious