Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I finally got through in the afternoon, and left a voicemail. Jamie is usually good with emails, did you email him?

I'm hoping we all get off the waitlist. Based on previous year threads, it seems likely.

I did email him but never heard back. I found out that they lost my alternate form by calling and it was lisa who i talked with. She was great! So i would recommend calling and asking specifically for her. For some reason ive had zero luck contacting jamie and amy.

But for sure man...i hope we all get off this waitlist...im so envious of people who are in right now! lol

Members don't see this ad.

I did email him but never heard back. I found out that they lost my alternate form by calling and it was lisa who i talked with. She was great! So i would recommend calling and asking specifically for her. For some reason ive had zero luck contacting jamie and amy.

But for sure man...i hope we all get off this waitlist...im so envious of people who are in right now! lol

What was the number for her? No contact this whole cycle with them.

I interview last Thursday for Seton Hill. When did you all have a portal change. I looked on Thursday since I read they meet on Wednesday but no change so far. Hope to hear back soon. The wait is killer!!

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who are accepted and attending for Class of 2017, do any of you know what the "Contingency Accept Form" is? I submitted all my paperwork last week but my portal says that this form is missing. Thanks.

For those of you who are accepted and attending for Class of 2017, do any of you know what the "Contingency Accept Form" is? I submitted all my paperwork last week but my portal says that this form is missing. Thanks.

Admissions emailed me saying that I will most likely by accepted, but they can't guarantee a specific pathway as they wait for acceptance offers to have deposits put down or declined. I also received a matriculation packet and financial aid form to complete by Jun 1. I think the "Contingency Accept" is part of that. If you were straight-up accepted, this probably doesn't apply. Definitely worth asking admissions/student affairs about.

This process has been like trying to get out of the friend zone. Wait, we want to see if something better comes along. Ok, maybe, I'll keep you on the hook a little longer. I'm thinking it will happen, lets get a little more serious. Oh, chances are looking good, get checked by your doctor while we think about it..... I'll let you know by summer.

Admissions emailed me saying that I will most likely by accepted, but they can't guarantee a specific pathway as they wait for acceptance offers to have deposits put down or declined. I also received a matriculation packet and financial aid form to complete by Jun 1. I think the "Contingency Accept" is part of that. If you were straight-up accepted, this probably doesn't apply. Definitely worth asking admissions/student affairs about.

This process has been like trying to get out of the friend zone. Wait, we want to see if something better comes along. Ok, maybe, I'll keep you on the hook a little longer. I'm thinking it will happen, lets get a little more serious. Oh, chances are looking good, get checked by your doctor while we think about it..... I'll let you know by summer.

When did you get that in the mail?

The packet was emailed just last week and I interviewed Feb 7th... So they're probably just starting to send those out to the folks. I've heard they don't rank their waitlist. What does that even mean? Random? Are their schools that post a waitlist on the wall and the committee throws darts and whichever names get hit are accepted?

Do any current students in the LDP pathway care to share what an average day/week is like (how long you really are in class, testing schedules...)? Thanks.

I'm a 3rd year who was in LDP. Average week your first year - classes start at 8 am most days, get done anywhere between 4 & 5, M - F. Second year - classes start at 8:30 am and get done anywhere from 2 and 5 (depends on clinician schedules who are going to be teaching you). Wednesdays are OMM/OPP days - 1st years have class and lab in the morning; second years have class and lab in the afternoon. Exams are usually every Monday, OPP has a quiz at the beginning of lecture usually every week or every other week.
Lunch 1st year is at noon; 2nd year it's at 11:30 (lasts an hour).

It's pretty much a full day every day.

The packet was emailed just last week and I interviewed Feb 7th... So they're probably just starting to send those out to the folks. I've heard they don't rank their waitlist. What does that even mean? Random? Are their schools that post a waitlist on the wall and the committee throws darts and whichever names get hit are accepted?

Supposedly its ranked based on first come, first served, so who knows. That doesn't make sense to me, but since I interviewed a few weeks after you and didn't get a packet, it might be true.

Last year, they started sending those packets out at the end of April/beginning of May, so it seems like in general they are a little earlier this year with the process.

Last edited:
I'm a 3rd year who was in LDP. Average week your first year - classes start at 8 am most days, get done anywhere between 4 & 5, M - F. Second year - classes start at 8:30 am and get done anywhere from 2 and 5 (depends on clinician schedules who are going to be teaching you). Wednesdays are OMM/OPP days - 1st years have class and lab in the morning; second years have class and lab in the afternoon. Exams are usually every Monday, OPP has a quiz at the beginning of lecture usually every week or every other week.
Lunch 1st year is at noon; 2nd year it's at 11:30 (lasts an hour).

It's pretty much a full day every day.

With such long days in class, did you feel like you were spending all evening studying too? I know a PBL SDNer was saying it was nice because he'd have all of his studying done by 5 or so and have all evening to do his own thing.

With such long days in class, did you feel like you were spending all evening studying too? I know a PBL SDNer was saying it was nice because he'd have all of his studying done by 5 or so and have all evening to do his own thing.

Sometimes, yes; sometimes, no. It really depended on the class. Some of the classes didn't require too much studying, others required a lot. I am a single parent, so I always made sure I spent time with my kids some everyday, then I also never studied on Sundays. I always did better on exams if I just didn't study the day before. During the week, I usually studied from 8 or 9 - 12 or 1. Then on Saturdays from 9 or 10 - 9 or 10 (with breaks for lunch and dinner). Fortunately, my kids aren't very young (they are 9 and 15 now), so Saturdays, they would usually occupy themselves by being w/ friends. I was also fortunate that during June right after my 1st year, they went to see my parents for the month - that gave me more than ample time to board study without having to take care of them.

Cool. Thank you for your input.

Members don't see this ad :)
Razor...hopefully you hear something positive soon, but as we all know getting out of the friend zone is tough lol. Are you accepted anywhere else or waitlisted? I assume with your stats and experience you haven't heard from just LECOM.

I was a late applicant, and was waitlisted at DMU and WesternU. At least I like to blame it on being late in the cycle to make me feel better about myself ahaha.

I didn't have the money to travel to other interviews, so I picked the schools that I really wanted to go to interview at.

I was surprised how much schools dismissed my EMT experience and focused on my scanty shadowing time. I had roughly 20hrs of shadowing, officially. Although I've spent a good chunk of time in the ED with emergency physicians and nurses.

Last edited:
Do any current students in the LDP pathway care to share what an average day/week is like (how long you really are in class, testing schedules...)? Thanks.

and going along with that, could a current DSP student share their week, at least once (from what I understand) the first 3 months are over?

and going along with that, could a current DSP student share their week, at least once (from what I understand) the first 3 months are over?

I didn't do DSP (I was in LDP), but I have friends who were in DSP within the last couple of years. Per my friends, once they are out of anatomy, they have 2 exams per class/system. They are given a 'module' which is basically the objectives for each class for each exam. Other than OPP (which they have OPP lecture on Wednesdays and Lab on Thursdays), they can study off campus or on campus. Many of them form groups that they work well with and divide the objectives up - each person putting together notes that cover their assigned objectives, and then they share the notes. My friends who did DSP, basically would study all day M - F, have their evenings free and they may or may not study on weekends according to their needs. There are a few things that they, along with PBL, are told they must attend lecture for, even once anatomy is over -- usually select lectures (such as the EKG lectures during cardiology).

Would you happen to have any suggestions for someone moving there with a family?

Would you happen to have any suggestions for someone moving there with a family?

I'm not sure how old your kids are - but, if they will be in school while you are in med school, avoid living in the Erie School District, unless you can afford to put them in private school. If you are going to use public school, you will want your kids to go to school in Millcreek School District. I would also recommend staying in the area around Grandview Elementary School, Ridgefield Elementary School or Asbury Elementary School (in no particular order, though it will be more expensive to live by Asbury Elementary, and your drive to school will be a few minutes longer). The area around both Ridgefield and Grandview are affordable, but good neighborhoods.

If you have any questions, please feel free to message me.

Just a heads up to all that were/are applying to LECOM...students received an e-mail last night stating that we are no longer going to be approved/allowed for any rotations at any UPMC affiliated hospitals.

So if you were really counting on these experiences as a reason to come to LECOM, think again... at least for now.

We have no more information than that.

I received waitlist letter a week or two ago and it said to send my response back by 15th. I completely forgot about it and I was wondering what happens if I don't send the letter back?

I received waitlist letter a week or two ago and it said to send my response back by 15th. I completely forgot about it and I was wondering what happens if I don't send the letter back?

I would call them and tell them it's in the mail (and put it in the mail right away).

Just a heads up to all that were/are applying to LECOM...students received an e-mail last night stating that we are no longer going to be approved/allowed for any rotations at any UPMC affiliated hospitals.

So if you were really counting on these experiences as a reason to come to LECOM, think again... at least for now.

That's crappy. I'm really worried about getting BS rotation sites.

I would call them and tell them it's in the mail (and put it in the mail right away).

Careful to not get caught in a lie though. It would be ****ty if somebody noticed that it wasn't postmarked yet even though you said it was already in the mail.

Latest word is they want $2,900 per student per rotation, and LECOM is unwilling to pay that (they don't pay any of their rotation sites.) Both sides are honoring UPMC rotations that are scheduled through the end of this academic year only. After that, we're locked out of UPMC, even for electives/auditions. And seeing how UPMC has no shortage of students to fill rotation spots and LECOM doesn't charge enough in tuition to pay that, we're likely going to be locked out for a while.

Latest word is they want $2,900 per student per rotation, and LECOM is unwilling to pay that (they don't pay any of their rotation sites.) Both sides are honoring UPMC rotations that are scheduled through the end of this academic year only. After that, we're locked out of UPMC, even for electives/auditions. And seeing how UPMC has no shortage of students to fill rotation spots and LECOM doesn't charge enough in tuition to pay that, we're likely going to be locked out for a while.

I mean the lower tuition is there for a reason. You have to perhaps work harder to land good rotation sites.

Hi all, just given up my LECOM seat. Hope it goes out to one of you waitlister! Good luck!

Careful to not get caught in a lie though. It would be ****ty if somebody noticed that it wasn't postmarked yet even though you said it was already in the mail.
Yes...you are right. Make sure it really is in the mail!

Hi all, just given up my LECOM seat. Hope it goes out to one of you waitlister! Good luck!

Thanks. It's people like you that get people like us into school... :xf:

Where are you going?

so far at bradenton we've only heard through the grapevine. was kinda hoping they would send out an e-mail to us directly dispelling any of the rumors circulating.

I've heard that some of the allo training sites charge the students directly. I wonder if that is what all this will eventually come down to. it would suck to pay tuition and then have to pay again to get the good rotation sites :(

Anyone know why they have "Transcript 1", "Transcript 2", "Transcript 3", "Transcript 4" in the portal document list? I haven't sent any transcripts yet but I've only attended 2 different colleges. I am not sure what the other 2 transcripts are for. Any clue?

Anyone know why they have "Transcript 1", "Transcript 2", "Transcript 3", "Transcript 4" in the portal document list? I haven't sent any transcripts yet but I've only attended 2 different colleges. I am not sure what the other 2 transcripts are for. Any clue?

Gaba, that is how it appears by default in the portal if you have attended more than one college. When they receive your transcripts from two colleges, it will be taken off.

Gaba, that is how it appears by default in the portal if you have attended more than one college. When they receive your transcripts from two colleges, it will be taken off.

Sounds good! Thank you, Lutts!

so far at bradenton we've only heard through the grapevine. was kinda hoping they would send out an e-mail to us directly dispelling any of the rumors circulating.

I've heard that some of the allo training sites charge the students directly. I wonder if that is what all this will eventually come down to. it would suck to pay tuition and then have to pay again to get the good rotation sites :(
As of right now, it doesn't even seem like they will allow us to pay out of pocket to rotate. Besides, who could afford to drop $2900 for a 4-week rotation on top of housing and food costs (Hamot provides, or at least used to provide, housing but none provide food.)

This concerns me as a potential incoming student. I've gotta ask, does losing rotations like this mean that the remaining sites are crappy ones that don't care about teaching? Or is the school just losing bragging rights to big name hospitals that have lots of subspecialty opportunities? If I want to do Family Med is it going to effect me that much?

This concerns me as a potential incoming student. I've gotta ask, does losing rotations like this mean that the remaining sites are crappy ones that don't care about teaching? Or is the school just losing bragging rights to big name hospitals that have lots of subspecialty opportunities? If I want to do Family Med is it going to effect me that much?

Agreed. This is somewhat troublesome to hear. I commend them for doing this to keep tuition down, however, having a good teaching hospital to do rotations is so crucial for a medical student because they can finally get hands on experience. I guess we'll see how it pans out.

They're not necessarily "crappy" in that they don't care about teaching, they're "crappy" in the sense that they're smaller community hospitals where you won't see anywhere near the same diversity of pathology as you would at a tertiary referral center like the UPMC facilities. You'll see mainly lots of bread and butter things, helpful in a clinical setting of your future practice (as those are the same bread and butter things you'd be seeing), not so helpful in a boards/shelf setting. Community hospitals have their perks though, you're not fighting fellows and residents and interns and other students for procedures, you usually get more autonomy, stuff like that. Both community hospitals and tertiary referral centers have their ups and downs. As my last attending put it best, you can be a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a big pond, all depends on what you want.

They're not necessarily "crappy" in that they don't care about teaching, they're "crappy" in the sense that they're smaller community hospitals where you won't see anywhere near the same diversity of pathology as you would at a tertiary referral center like the UPMC facilities. You'll see mainly lots of bread and butter things, helpful in a clinical setting of your future practice (as those are the same bread and butter things you'd be seeing), not so helpful in a boards/shelf setting. Community hospitals have their perks though, you're not fighting fellows and residents and interns and other students for procedures, you usually get more autonomy, stuff like that. Both community hospitals and tertiary referral centers have their ups and downs. As my last attending put it best, you can be a big fish in a small pond or a small fish in a big pond, all depends on what you want.

Thanks for your input. I think the inital response to this news was concern so thanks for providing more info on what the other hospitals offer.

If anyone has any questions about the interview day or interview, feel free to pm me

Not to incite too much false hope. The postbacc program just finished and some of them may not have met the requirements...expect the wait list to do some good moving in the next couple weeks.

Not to incite too much false hope. The postbacc program just finished and some of them may not have met the requirements...expect the wait list to do some good moving in the next couple weeks.

Why didn't they do well? Was the program harder than they expected?

Thanks. It's people like you that get people like us into school... :xf:

Where are you going?

lol, you're welcome, I hope you get in soon! And I gotten into an in-state school. It has an amazing simulation center, great rotation options, and amble of research opportunities, so I'm excited, lol. As great as LECOM may be, the LECOM medical student told me that it didn't have a simulation center and I'm very tech-centric, lol.

Good luck and I hope you hear good news soon!

Hi guys,

I know that this is probably kind of late to post in this thread, but with LECOM do I have to finish all my prereqs before applying to receive a secondary or interview? There are a couple of humanity classes I don't think I can squeeze them all in prior to June 1.

No. I had two pre-reqs in progress when I applied. Also, which humanities? You mean like English, Psych?

As long as you are above the cutoffs, they'll send you a secondary and look at your app after you submit it.

If a student were moving to Erie with a significant other who is a nurse, does anyone know how easy it is for nurses to get jobs in Erie? I know there are some hospitals, but I would be interested if anyone has any knowledge about this. Thanks.

If a student were moving to Erie with a significant other who is a nurse, does anyone know how easy it is for nurses to get jobs in Erie? I know there are some hospitals, but I would be interested if anyone has any knowledge about this. Thanks.

I would assume it would be easy except that it might not be in an area that is first choice. There will be always the need for floor nurses. :(