Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2012 - 2013

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know how difficult it is to get into the primary scholars pathway? the three year program?

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know how difficult it is to get into the primary scholars pathway? the three year program?

At my interview they said that each year they have about 8 open spots left that no one takes, but at the same time they say that you don't have a better shot depending on what pathway you choose. Although, it would seem that you do because some people put one pathway, got denied, and then called and switched pathways and were accepted.

At my interview they said that each year they have about 8 open spots left that no one takes, but at the same time they say that you don't have a better shot depending on what pathway you choose. Although, it would seem that you do because some people put one pathway, got denied, and then called and switched pathways and were accepted.

Primary Scholars is not like the other pathways. Someone can express interest in the pathway during their interview, but those that actually do the pathway have to fill out an application to the pathway during anatomy. After anatomy is when those people are selected. All of PCSP students start out in LDP, DSP or PBL. Their anatomy grade strongly influences whether they get accepted into PCSP or not.

For those that are thinking of doing PCSP, keep in mind you are agreeing to go into family practice or general IM - and remain in one of these areas for 5 years after your residency is over. If you do not do this, then you will have to pay LECOM tuition for the 4th year of school.

Members don't see this ad :)

I have only heard of this being the case with regards to Seton Hill PBL. This is mainly because Seton Hill usually has spots left over and is a good alternative for people who want PBL. So people who are waitlisted for Erie PBL (when all the Erie LDP, DSP, and PBL seats are full) could switch to Seton Hill and be accepted if there are seats available.

Primary Scholars is not like the other pathways. Someone can express interest in the pathway during their interview, but those that actually do the pathway have to fill out an application to the pathway during anatomy. After anatomy is when those people are selected. All of PCSP students start out in LDP, DSP or PBL. Their anatomy grade strongly influences whether they get accepted into PCSP or not.

For those that are thinking of doing PCSP, keep in mind you are agreeing to go into family practice or general IM - and remain in one of these areas for 5 years after your residency is over. If you do not do this, then you will have to pay LECOM tuition for the 4th year of school.

Wait, so the only thing you have to do is pay the extra 4th year tuition and you still finish in 3 yrs and can do whatever you want? While a little sketchy, it surprises me this isn't more sought after as a way to finish med school in 3yrs, and get an extra year of attending salary minus the $30k or so for 4th year. I wouldn't do it, but I'd imagine some might take advantage of such an easy out policy.

I just got awarded $57,000 in financial aid (Federal Direct Unsubsidized Ln & Federal Direct Graduate PLUS Loan). Do u guys think it's a good idea to accept all of it now and then accept lesser amount the following years as needed. I highly doubt I'd need $57,000 for two semesters; im thinking of keeping some extra money as contingency plan. What do u guys think?

that's $57,000 before they take tuition and insurance out right? So really it's like $28,000 for a year of living, which isn't actually that much. Unless I'm misunderstanding the financial aid stuff (I haven't received mine yet)

Wait, so the only thing you have to do is pay the extra 4th year tuition and you still finish in 3 yrs and can do whatever you want? While a little sketchy, it surprises me this isn't more sought after as a way to finish med school in 3yrs, and get an extra year of attending salary minus the $30k or so for 4th year. I wouldn't do it, but I'd imagine some might take advantage of such an easy out policy.
In theory, yes. But good luck convincing any residency program but primary care (FM or IM) to accept you with only three years of medical education and limited clinical experience. You give up all of your electives from third/fourth year, so you really don't have an opportunity to do anything during your clinical months except primary care.

In theory, yes. But good luck convincing any residency program but primary care (FM or IM) to accept you with only three years of medical education and limited clinical experience. You give up all of your electives from third/fourth year, so you really don't have an opportunity to do anything during your clinical months except primary care.

I'm from Ohio and know I want to go into FM. I was thinking this might be a good way to get started on what i do early--but i guess my mind could always change in medical school. Also, I thought they just gave you acceptance into the program, I didn't know there was a specific anatomy requirement

I'm from Ohio and know I want to go into FM. I was thinking this might be a good way to get started on what i do early--but i guess my mind could always change in medical school. Also, I thought they just gave you acceptance into the program, I didn't know there was a specific anatomy requirement

I don't know that there is a "specific" anatomy requirement, rather, I know that the grade someone gets in anatomy strongly plays into whether they will allow the student to be in PCSP. It's just one of several factors they look at. Basically, they want to see that you can at least keep up with it and do well in anatomy because the PCSP curriculum is quicker than the standard med school curriculum. It's more of they don't want to give the spot to someone that might struggle with the accelerated pace.

Wait, so the only thing you have to do is pay the extra 4th year tuition and you still finish in 3 yrs and can do whatever you want? While a little sketchy, it surprises me this isn't more sought after as a way to finish med school in 3yrs, and get an extra year of attending salary minus the $30k or so for 4th year. I wouldn't do it, but I'd imagine some might take advantage of such an easy out policy

I would echo what Slane responded. The PCSP curriculum is geared toward primary care a lot more than the standard curriculum (which already is geared toward primary care in may regards). Some specialties and some programs virtually require audition rotations. For example, if you want to do surgery, you absolutely must do audition rotations. If you go through PCSP with the plans of doing what you describe, you won't get the audition rotations in surgery - thus, your chances of getting a surgery residency is virtually nil. Also, if you complete one residency, and then decide to do another residency in another area, you will have a hard time securing that due to funding issues and questions about commitment to the particular specialty.

Has anyone heard of any movement on the wait list? I figure that it must be coming soon right?

There are definitely risks, but if you knew for sure you wanted IM or an IM subspecialty, I could see people going for it just to be done sooner. Like I said, the pathway is not for me (the idea of not having a summer to work/research/spend time with family sounds terrible to me and I'll probably be working in PA for at least 5 years anyways), but I would have thought the out clause would be something more binding, kind of like with OU-HCOM and the hundreds of thousands you have to pay there if you don't work in Ohio after residency/fellowship.

There are definitely risks, but if you knew for sure you wanted IM or an IM subspecialty, I could see people going for it just to be done sooner. Like I said, the pathway is not for me (the idea of not having a summer to work/research/spend time with family sounds terrible to me and I'll probably be working in PA for at least 5 years anyways), but I would have thought the out clause would be something more binding, kind of like with OU-HCOM and the hundreds of thousands you have to pay there if you don't work in Ohio after residency/fellowship.
Nope, you just owe that year of tuition and it has to be paid in full immediately. I'm sure there's a clause there stipulating penalties if you don't pay right away too. But aside from owing the school $30k or so, you could do an IM residency and then a subspecialty fellowship after it and shave a year off of your school time. You'd owe the $30k though when you started your fellowship, as the contract you sign states you specifically won't do a fellowship unless it's OMM or geriatrics (they don't even allow sports medicine.)

On a side note, I don't know if the pathway has improved since I was in it two years ago, but my classmates received an awful education through it! It was poorly organized and just complete chaos, not worth the year less of schooling IMO. Myself and two other students left the pathway between first and second year, and then two more left after second year (although they got in some trouble with SPG for switching then after signing their contracts...) Take that for what it's worth, I just can't recommend the pathway to anyone. Go ISP or PBL and you'll be much happier.

Members don't see this ad :)
...On a side note, I don't know if the pathway has improved since I was in it two years ago, but my classmates received an awful education through it! It was poorly organized and just complete chaos, not worth the year less of schooling IMO. Myself and two other students left the pathway between first and second year, and then two more left after second year (although they got in some trouble with SPG for switching then after signing their contracts...) Take that for what it's worth, I just can't recommend the pathway to anyone. Go ISP or PBL and you'll be much happier.

Your description is basically why I wouldn't do it even though I want to do primary care. I can't speak for teaching, but the idea of compressing med school coursework and losing the variety of experiences you get in electives just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Your description is basically why I wouldn't do it even though I want to do primary care. I can't speak for teaching, but the idea of compressing med school coursework and losing the variety of experiences you get in electives just doesn't seem worth it to me.
The coursework isn't compressed, you just go two months over the summer to be able to start rotations two months ahead of everyone else (you still get time off in May to study for boards, although you're forced to study at LECOM in a special PCSP board review course.) They cut that year of time off mainly through dropping elective, selective, and rural/underserved rotations--plus you only do one surgery and EM rotation instead of two each. It's mainly just far less clinical experience, which IMO is the most important part of your medical education except for when it comes to taking your COMLEX Level 1.

Hey everyone, I really feel pbl is a better and more ideal path to learn from in medical school for me. I put in a request to change to pbl a couple weeks ago. Is there a waitlist for accepted students to get into pbl from ldp? If so, what are the odds I can get a pbl spot?

I wish I knew more about the pbl pathway in december. I did not realize there were pretty big differences between ldp and pbl and that several ldp people switched to pbl and were so glad they did. I did not find those threads in october. I also did not get the chance to talk to a pbl student on interview day. I talked to a dsp student.

Thanks.

Sent from my DROID3 using SDN Mobile

My husband is finishing up his second year at lecom. If anyone is coming to lecom with a family and has questions about housing or anything else please feel free to message me. We have an amazing group of families and spouses that support each other through this crazy process. [email protected]. Good luck everyone! :) if you don't have a family and questions about the school I can pass those along to him as well

I just realized yesterday that I received an email on the 20th saying that my chances are high for getting accepted before July 1st and they want me to begin filling out paperwork. Does anyone know if this actually means I will be getting accepted off the wait list? I'm scared to get my hopes up too much but I would be lying if I said I wasn't very excited! Has anyone received this email and if so, were you accepted?

I just realized yesterday that I received an email on the 20th saying that my chances are high for getting accepted before July 1st and they want me to begin filling out paperwork. Does anyone know if this actually means I will be getting accepted off the wait list? I'm scared to get my hopes up too much but I would be lying if I said I wasn't very excited! Has anyone received this email and if so, were you accepted?

People in the past have gotten those emails, and they are accepted off the waitlist, but sometimes its later than they say, so don't be scared if you don't hear something before July 1st. Definitely fill out the paperwork and send it in fast, because its very likely you'll get an acceptance soon.

I will be submitting my application next month for the class of 2018. I am interested in the Lake Erie DO program but want to know my chances. I just received my mcat score and did a lot worse than i expected.
MCAT- 21 9/6/6
GPA- 3.94 major biology, minor chemistry
I have worked in the clinical setting for 3 years now as a car attendant.
I also do research involving endocrinology, and publication is in progress.

I am mainly worried about my MCAT considering how low it is.
I was wondering my chances and the latest I can retake it and still apply this cycle.
Any feedback would be great!

People in the past have gotten those emails, and they are accepted off the waitlist, but sometimes its later than they say, so don't be scared if you don't hear something before July 1st. Definitely fill out the paperwork and send it in fast, because its very likely you'll get an acceptance soon.

I got that email 4/8 and sent everything in on 4/18 and I'm still sitting here with no response.

I will be submitting my application next month for the class of 2018. I am interested in the Lake Erie DO program but want to know my chances. I just received my mcat score and did a lot worse than i expected.
MCAT- 21 9/6/6

I was wondering my chances and the latest I can retake it and still apply this cycle.

They would consider you with a minimum of 24 in the MCAT - (23 if you did Lecom postbach and got over 3.0)

I got that email 4/8 and sent everything in on 4/18 and I'm still sitting here with no response.

Well that makes me a bit nervous. I just paid for that background check so I sure hope this isn't just a false alarm! I am going to send everything ASAP though so hopefully we will hear something soon.

Well that makes me a bit nervous. I just paid for that background check so I sure hope this isn't just a false alarm! I am going to send everything ASAP though so hopefully we will hear something soon.

Don't lose hope though. Nobody is sounding off on here about getting accepted off the waitlist yet, so maybe everything is just happening later this year. I would put money on those that got that email being first in line, but we might not find out til later.

Also if it helps, I will only take the acceptance if I get PBL, otherwise I will decline. I have an acceptance at a much more expensive school (that I don't want to pay that much for but have a deposit down on), but I would ditch it for the PBL pathway.

Aside from the letter saying I was waitlisted, 2 weeks after interview, I have not received any additional information. I figured I would wait till the end of this month for an update. Do you think it would be safe to call after June 1st?

I am also seriously wondering if I should consider applying to the post bac program now while I am waiting. I already have a 25 mcat and my cgpa is above a 3.1. Is it true that if you do very well you are "almost" "guaranteed" an acceptance? I am also waitlisted 2-3rd Q at 3 other programs. Waiting to hear back from these schools is far worse than taking the mcat ><.

Don't lose hope though. Nobody is sounding off on here about getting accepted off the waitlist yet, so maybe everything is just happening later this year. I would put money on those that got that email being first in line, but we might not find out til later.

Also if it helps, I will only take the acceptance if I get PBL, otherwise I will decline. I have an acceptance at a much more expensive school (that I don't want to pay that much for but have a deposit down on), but I would ditch it for the PBL pathway.

PBL in Erie was full couple of months ago and even now there is a wait list for those who want to move in from LDP. So there is a little chance you will get PBL in Erie but you might get at SH if class is not full

PBL in Erie was full couple of months ago and even now there is a wait list for those who want to move in from LDP. So there is a little chance you will get PBL in Erie but you might get at SH if class is not full

That doesn't mean very much though if it was a couple months ago does it? Now that the deadline for decision has passed, a lot of people may have decided on different schools so wouldn't that have opened up more spots? I don't know, I could be completely wrong about how it all works so that's why I'm asking. Do you know that it's full right now for sure?

MCAT- 21 9/6/6

I'm sorry to say that you have virtually no chances with that MCAT at pretty much any DO school unless you have residency in a state with a DO school with lower matriculant stats that has significant regional bias.

That being said, its still early and if you study very hard, retake it, and get at least a 23, you'll have much better chances of getting in somewhere (including here). Definitely retake the MCAT, its an easy fix that you could do in a couple months, just make sure you only take it when you know you will do much better.

Yeah, exactly my point. Many people in the past got that email and ended up getting accepted much later, which of course freaked them out, but they all did seem to get accepted in the end.

It seems like in general movement is very slow this year for most medical schools (MD and DO), and slow movement off of the waitlist is connected between all other schools, since people withdrawing depends on them getting accepted elsewhere.

Aside from the letter saying I was waitlisted, 2 weeks after interview, I have not received any additional information. I figured I would wait till the end of this month for an update. Do you think it would be safe to call after June 1st?

I am also seriously wondering if I should consider applying to the post bac program now while I am waiting. I already have a 25 mcat and my cgpa is above a 3.1. Is it true that if you do very well you are "almost" "guaranteed" an acceptance? I am also waitlisted 2-3rd Q at 3 other programs. Waiting to hear back from these schools is far worse than taking the mcat ><.

If you really want to go to LECOM, then the post-bac is a good option. Just know that you really have to do better than their cutoffs (i.e. 3.0) in the program. If you don't get that, than you can kill your chances of getting in to any US medical school. You can always apply to it as a backup if you don't get off of any waitlists.

That doesn't mean very much though if it was a couple months ago does it? Now that the deadline for decision has passed, a lot of people may have decided on different schools so wouldn't that have opened up more spots? I don't know, I could be completely wrong about how it all works so that's why I'm asking. Do you know that it's full right now for sure?

PBL is always full first, and since there is already a waitlist for accepted students, then its very unlikely that students on the waitlist would get a PBL slot (unless maybe its at Seton Hill, but I think they are full now). It doesn't really matter that it was months ago, because its unlikely more PBL spots will open up than the number of students that want to transfer from LDP to PBL.

Yea I am pretty sure. I just finished postbac at lecom and there is a good number of my classmates who are on PBL wait list. I am not saying its not possible but don't keep your hopes up for PBL

My number 1 choice was SH because it was PBL or bust for me, so we'll see.

Just know that you really have to do better than their cutoffs (i.e. 3.0) in the program.
You only need 3.0 to make it.
If you don't get that, than you can kill your chances of getting in to any US medical school.
I know a couple of people who did not make the 3.0, yet were accepted elsewhere.

PBL is not for everyone. If you like to study on your own, read your textbook, then it's for you. Otherwise, if you are the type of student who likes to go to lecture and read power points or handouts, and do not like reading textbooks, then PBL is not for you, simple as that.

Last edited:
PBL is not for everyone. If you like to study on your own, read your textbook, then it's for you. Otherwise, if you are the type of student who likes to go to lecture and read power points or handouts, and do not like reading textbooks, then PBL is not for you, simple as that.

Word, bringslite. I don't get the trendy powerpoint bulletpoint studying. I do much better reading textbooks. They do a great job of stringing words together in complete sentences that logically flow in a paragraph that fully describe an idea. Just from reading a book you can fully learn the in-depth idea rather than memorizing a bunch of disconnected facts of a bullet point lecture.

And I kinda kid...

I know some folks get too bogged down in the finer points if they read the textbook and they need the broad strokes of a ppt only. Whatever floats everyone's boat.

My number 1 choice was SH because it was PBL or bust for me, so we'll see.

When were you waitlisted? I imagine it'll be more likely for you to get SH than Erie PBL because for some reason people don't seem to like SH (maybe because its new?). Good luck! I think you have a good shot of getting a SH seat

You only need 3.0 to make it.

Yup, like I said, the cutoff is a 3.0.

I know a couple of people who did not make the 3.0, yet were accepted elsewhere.

Like I said, it can ruin your chances, not that it definitely would. Having subpar stats, plus getting below a 3.0 in essentially a slightly lighter version of the 1st year of med school is not a positive. I know people that have gone through SMPs only to go to the Caribbean after doing poorly.

Last edited:
When were you waitlisted? .

From creeping on here, it sounds like I was in the first group to be told that "The entering class in 2013 is full." I interviewed in early Feb and didn't have a waitlist letter in my hand until first week of March. When I emailed 2 weeks after my interview, Jamie told me that the committee decision was to accept me, but there was still a lot of shuffling going on and didn't know which pathway they could offer. So who knows, and I really didn't want to keep pestering them about it and piss someone off.

Edit: I first emailed to say WTF it's been two weeks and we were told at the interview that the AdCom would meet that Wed so typically have <2week turnaround. It was after I was waitlisted that Jamie replied about waiting to see which pathway they could offer.

Last edited:
That's such a tease that Jamie told you the decision was to accept you. I wonder why bother telling you that because you're still here in June waiting. I feel bad cause I would be going insane! Med schools and their mind games!! Hope you hear back soon man!

MCAT- 21 9/6/6

That is a SERIOUS mismatch between your MCAT and your sGPA. Makes one wonder if your school had tremendous grade inflation or if you are just rotten at standardized tests. Not beating you up here--it just doesn't match up and will raise eyebrows if it even gets past the automated screener (it won't).
My MCAT wasn't outstanding by any means--24S, but I did take it 15 years out from my undergrad biology degree. I also had a great graduate GPA, 10 years of high-level experience as a PA and great letters, so that made up for it.
You're gonna need to bring that MCAT up to minimum. I would suggest aiming higher--26 min.
I'm pretty sure you could get into the post bacc program but it would be cheaper to take an MCAT review course and gain those 5-6 extra points.
Good luck!!!

I was accepted off the wait list but will be declining..going to another school. Hopefully one of you guys gets my spot.

Word, bringslite. I don't get the trendy powerpoint bulletpoint studying. I do much better reading textbooks. They do a great job of stringing words together in complete sentences that logically flow in a paragraph that fully describe an idea. Just from reading a book you can fully learn the in-depth idea rather than memorizing a bunch of disconnected facts of a bullet point lecture.
I'm stating this for everyone in general. Some people will change hearts when they start reading Guyton's or Goodman's on their own! Beside, many people who rely on ppts and augment them with the texts for reference; have done very well.

Last edited:
That is a SERIOUS mismatch between your MCAT and your sGPA. Makes one wonder if your school had tremendous grade inflation or if you are just rotten at standardized tests. Not beating you up here--it just doesn't match up and will raise eyebrows if it even gets past the automated screener (it won't).
My MCAT wasn't outstanding by any means--24S, but I did take it 15 years out from my undergrad biology degree. I also had a great graduate GPA, 10 years of high-level experience as a PA and great letters, so that made up for it.
You're gonna need to bring that MCAT up to minimum. I would suggest aiming higher--26 min.
I'm pretty sure you could get into the post bacc program but it would be cheaper to take an MCAT review course and gain those 5-6 extra points.
Good luck!!!
Keep in mind that the postbac requires an MCAT of 23 (in addition to 3.0 gpa) to make to the the med school, so you will have to retake the MCAT either way.

I was accepted off the wait list but will be declining..going to another school. Hopefully one of you guys gets my spot.

Congratulations on getting into school! I sure hope I get an acceptance letter soon!! If you don't mind me asking, what location and learning pathway did they accept you for?

From creeping on here, it sounds like I was in the first group to be told that "The entering class in 2013 is full." I interviewed in early Feb and didn't have a waitlist letter in my hand until first week of March. When I emailed 2 weeks after my interview, Jamie told me that the committee decision was to accept me, but there was still a lot of shuffling going on and didn't know which pathway they could offer. So who knows, and I really didn't want to keep pestering them about it and piss someone off.

Edit: I first emailed to say WTF it's been two weeks and we were told at the interview that the AdCom would meet that Wed so typically have <2week turnaround. It was after I was waitlisted that Jamie replied about waiting to see which pathway they could offer.

That's really strange. SH still had spots then, so maybe you hit some bump/delay/clerical error that they didn't catch. If I were you, I'd contact Jamie or Amy, and make sure that SH is listed as your top choice in your file, and potentially see how close you are to the top of the list (if they'll give you that info). If you're waitlisted for SH, I think you have a good shot at getting in to that campus/path, considering you got that email, and inevitably some people will drop.

That's really strange. SH still had spots then, so maybe you hit some bump/delay/clerical error that they didn't catch. If I were you, I'd contact Jamie or Amy, and make sure that SH is listed as your top choice in your file, and potentially see how close you are to the top of the list (if they'll give you that info). If you're waitlisted for SH, I think you have a good shot at getting in to that campus/path, considering you got that email, and inevitably some people will drop.
Aren't you considered for SH automatically as an alternate?

Aren't you considered for SH automatically as an alternate?

People with Seton Hill as their 2nd choice were waitlisted when Erie spots were full, and were then accepted when they made SH their first choice. If you have SH at the top of your list, it seems you are put in a separate list for SH specific applicants.

Last edited:
Why did they tell us at the interview that our campus ranking wasn't considered when being accepted? Or I guess the better question is - does anyone else remember being told this?