Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just got put on the alternate list for LECOM

stats are 3.35 GPA, 3.4 sGPA, 30R MCAT, MBS from Tufts (currently enrolled, expected 3.6), Somewhere around 2500 hrs clinical experience (500 shadowing doctors, the rest as a paramedic).

Has anyone from the alternate's list heard anything as of right now?

Members don't see this ad.

stats are 3.35 GPA, 3.4 sGPA, 30R MCAT, MBS from Tufts (currently enrolled, expected 3.6), Somewhere around 2500 hrs clinical experience (500 shadowing doctors, the rest as a paramedic).

No word yet, I've been on the alternate list since early December!

David West mentioned that LECOM-Bradenton won't start pulling from the alternate list until the end of the interview cycle, which I believe ends before May. I would think that LECOM-Erie/Seton Hill will likely do the same thing.

However, unlike LECOM-B, LECOM-E is not full yet, so do not despair.

Members don't see this ad :)
LECOM-B MS2 here, just thought I'd offer that you guys can PM me if you have any Q's. Got a big test Monday, so might not respond until then.

I don't remember a whole lot about:
-The application cycle/process
-Stats of my peers
-Things outside the Bradenton camps
...but can answer anything about curriculum, administration, rumors, opportunities, med school in general, etc.

David West mentioned that LECOM-Bradenton won't start pulling from the alternate list until the end of the interview cycle, which I believe ends before May. I would think that LECOM-Erie/Seton Hill will likely do the same thing.

However, unlike LECOM-B, LECOM-E is not full yet, so do not despair.

Where did you hear that lecom-e is not full?

No word yet, I've been on the alternate list since early December!

What date did you interview? Im just trying to get the lead time on them responding.

I interviewed on 2/13, and got a letter yesterday, so about two weeks.

Someone recently claimed that an interviewer told them that the class was a little more than half full. Plus, someone just got in at Seton Hill.

I really want to apply here next cycle, you guys mind telling me what I should get on MCAT with these other qualities I have?
1. UF junior, major= psychology with cognitive and behavioral neuroscience. cGPA= 3.48, sGPA=3.31
2. Over 250 hours (3 years) of elementary school volunteering, where I head the program between my school an the elementary school
3. Over 200 hours of shadowing pediatrician; 6 weeks of 8-530 days mostly
4. 5 LOR's, 1 personal, 1 clinical, 2 professors, 1 volunteer coordinator
5. Involved in AMSA, was involved in an Acapella group as a baritone on campus for 2 years, took a break for MCAT but rejoining next year
6. Wanting to do HPSP

Comments?

Are you applying to LECOM-B or LECOM-E/SH?

To be safe aim for 28+, but really with the MCAT you want to aim for the highest grade you get.

Either way, apply early (day 1), have all your LORs ready to go, and apply broadly. If you are from FL, I'd apply to all of their schools (what is it like 7 now?).

LECOM this time last year was full/practically full. That doesn't necessarily mean all seats are accounted for. Most DO schools only send out acceptances to the number of students they can accept. When that happens, students that submit a deposit by the deadline have filled a seat, but when they don't the school recounts the numbers and sends out more acceptances. Thats why the school can say something like they've sent out all or almost all acceptances, so they can't accept you at this time, but only have something like half of its seats filled.

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the general movement for alternate list is?? I tried looking at previous years, but maybe overlooked something with so many posts. Also, anyone know when their last interview month is? Thanks!!
There is movement, I know of an example where a classmate received their phonecall of acceptance the week classes began

Just got wait listed. Interviewed Feb 21. Cgpa: 3.2 sgpa: 3.9 (3.9 postbacc 60 credit hours of science) 32mcat (10p11v11b). I called last week and their admissions person said they had acceptance offers out for every seat currently...

I just turned down my acceptance. Good luck to those on the waitlist.

DJ23 said:
I just turned down my acceptance. Good luck to those on the waitlist.

Did you just get accepted or was this from a while ago?

Members don't see this ad :)
I forgot to post this but I also withdrew my acceptance a couple weeks ago. I imagine the wait list will be moving along as other people get into their preferred schools. Hopefully those waiting will be hearing back soon!

Yes, but they will not review all of your information until it is received.

that's not true. when i interviewed i didnt have a D.O. letter. i got rejected 2 weeks later AS i working to get a letter of recommendation from a DO

They will not review you until it's submitted. I interviewed in December but have yet to hear back from them because the DO I shadowed has not sent in my letter. Not too worried about it though because personally I did not like anything about LECOM Erie, with the exception of the tuition (of course).

I have been an alternate since December and just checked my portal and it changed back to a decision has been made and I will receive a letter within 30 days. Does this mean that I will be offered a spot? I really hope so!

They will not review you until it's submitted. I interviewed in December but have yet to hear back from them because the DO I shadowed has not sent in my letter. Not too worried about it though because personally I did not like anything about LECOM Erie, with the exception of the tuition (of course).

I got a rejection letter 2 weeks after my interview and my DO letter wasnt in. I guess they just hated me that much

I have been an alternate since December and just checked my portal and it changed back to a decision has been made and I will receive a letter within 30 days. Does this mean that I will be offered a spot? I really hope so!

I hope so too. I was alternate listed January 24th, and I checked the portal and saw that the "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application." within the last week or two. (I don't check very religiously)

I hope so too. I was alternate listed January 24th, and I checked the portal and saw that the "The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application." within the last week or two. (I don't check very religiously)

Someone said that someone who was on the alternate list last year got the same message before they were offered a spot.

Congratulations if it's true!

Here's to hoping I get lucky! :luck:

I got a rejection letter 2 weeks after my interview and my DO letter wasnt in. I guess they just hated me that much

The DO letter is more of a formality. It will delay getting accepted/waitlisted if you didn't send it in, but it seems that if you are going to be rejected anyways, they don't always wait for it. The same thing happened to a couple people last cycle. Don't take it too personally, I'm sure I had more rejections last cycle than you did this one. Its just part of the process.

I interviewed on 2/28/14. My application status still says "under review". I thought the status changed the wednesday after your interview. My application has been complete with DO letter and all since 2/21/14 and are entered in the folders section. Anybody have this going on?

I interviewed on 2/28/14. My application status still says "under review". I thought the status changed the wednesday after your interview. My application has been complete with DO letter and all since 2/21/14 and are entered in the folders section. Anybody have this going on?

The status changes after they review your app and make a decision. Usually its by the Wednesday/Thursday after your interview, but it can happen later. Seeing how you only interviewed a week ago, I wouldn't worry about it. Its possible they just didn't finish reviewing the apps of interviewees, or they didn't finish verifying their number of open slots. If I were you, I'd wait another week, and if nothing changed by then, I'd contact them.

Ok thanks! I'll wait then. Maybe it's a good sign? Thanks for ur help

Someone said that someone who was on the alternate list last year got the same message before they were offered a spot.

Congratulations if it's true!

Here's to hoping I get lucky! :luck:
I got the acceptance letter on Friday! It was dated 3/3 and it got all the way to Arizona in just a few days.

Mine still says under view I interviewed in 2/28. Hopefully a decision will be made soon and this just means they r counting the open seats
Sgpa 3.8 avg gpa 3.75. MCAT 29. Clinical research coordinator for 5 years

If you don't mind me asking, what were your stats?
BS in Chemistry

3.78 sGPA
3.82 cGPA
31O MCAT

2.5 years hospital volunteering
~110 hours of surgery/family practice shadowing
1 year of organic chemistry research w/ publication

Submitted AACOMAS: September 2nd
Completed Secondary: October 21st
Interview Invite: October 29th
Interviewed: January 10th
Alternate Listed: January 24th
Accepted: March 3rd

First time applying at LECOM.

how long do you know have to respond to an acceptance letter. I am going to be on vacation for 2 weeks is this something I should worry about

how long do you know have to respond to an acceptance letter. I am going to be on vacation for 2 weeks is this something I should worry about

Depends on when you are going on vacation. Youhave2 wks to send in your deposit, so if the day you leave you see a change in your status to "a decision has been made", you might need to contact them, or have someone around check your mail.

Depends on when you are going on vacation. Youhave2 wks to send in your deposit, so if the day you leave you see a change in your status to "a decision has been made", you might need to contact them, or have someone around check your mail.
So the two weeks deadline starts when the letter is dated, recieved, or just when the portal status changes??

So the two weeks deadline starts when the letter is dated, recieved, or just when the portal status changes??

If it's anything like the alternate list letter, it starts on the date of the letter.

I was supposed to have a two week period to send the letter back, by the time I got it, I had 5 days. I called them and had it faxed to ensure that they got it immediately.

Just call admissions and see what options you have. You might be able to send in your payment like now if they can confirm you were indeed accepted.

My portal also changed... I was on the alternate list and now it says a decision has been made.

If it's anything like the alternate list letter, it starts on the date of the letter.

I was supposed to have a two week period to send the letter back, by the time I got it, I had 5 days. I called them and had it faxed to ensure that they got it immediately.

Just call admissions and see what options you have. You might be able to send in your payment like now if they can confirm you were indeed accepted.
So I called admissions. The said letter went out yesterday and I can just have someone open it up for me. But the status on my portal still says "application is currently under review". Are they behind on updating the portal or does this mean something else?

Those that are on the alternate list, does your financial aid folder (on LECOM portal) say this... "You are about to begin the Financial Aid Award Process. In the processyou will review your Financial Aid Award Letter and accept, reduce or decline your award amounts."

My portal also changed... I was on the alternate list and now it says a decision has been made.
Same thing happened to me on 3/11 and I also have the same financial aid message as student915. I can't remember if I had a different message before the status change though. I want to say I received something like a “not authorized” message while clicking on the financial aid link before. I could just be imagining things though lol. I hope this means we are accepted! It seems to be way too early for a post-waitlist rejection.

I know it said on the alternate list letter that we would remain on the alternate list until June 25th unless a seat opens up. I'm not sure if that's still the case though.

...Are they behind on updating the portal or does this mean something else?

That's what it sounds like.

I know it said on the alternate list letter that we would remain on the alternate list until June 25th unless a seat opens up. I'm not sure if that's still the case though.

You guys are fine. I highly doubt they would reject people on the waitlist at this point. Most likely they just recalculated how many seats were open and are accepting people. Good luck to all of you! I hope its great news!

You should be receiving an acceptance letter soon!!! My portal changed and I got a letter on 3/13 saying I have been accepted into Erie's PBL!! :soexcited:

You should be receiving an acceptance letter soon!!! My portal changed and I got a letter on 3/13 saying I have been accepted into Erie's PBL!! :soexcited:
Thanks for the info! Did you rank PBL as your first pathway choice?

Those that are on the alternate list, does your financial aid folder (on LECOM portal) say this... "You are about to begin the Financial Aid Award Process. In the processyou will review your Financial Aid Award Letter and accept, reduce or decline your award amounts."
My LECOM portal today updated my status to saying that I was confirmed as an alternate. I noticed this financial aid message last week while I was still in limbo about my interview results.

Hi everyone,

Instead of waiting for the roommate list to come out in May I’m trying to get a head start on finding roommates and a place to live for next year. I’ll be in the PCSP program next year, and I think it would be great to live with several other people in the PCSP/DSP programs. However, I’m very open to living with anyone. If you’re interested in looking for places with me please let me know.

Thanks,
Scott

So I interviewed 3/14 and really enjoyed myself and can absolutely see myself succeeding in the program! I do really well in a structured environment like LDP and holy moly impressive board pass rates. I know that the adcomm meets on Wednesdays...should I send in a LOI before then, or only if I am waitlisted or remain under consideration?

So I interviewed 3/14 and really enjoyed myself and can absolutely see myself succeeding in the program! I do really well in a structured environment like LDP and holy moly impressive board pass rates. I know that the adcomm meets on Wednesdays...should I send in a LOI before then, or only if I am waitlisted or remain under consideration?

LOIs are really only necessary after you get waitlisted. Obviously send your thank you letters in, and if you really wanted to, you could send an email to one of the admissions people saying that you were really impressed with the program and loved the school. Its really unknown whether this will affect their decision in any way, but if you felt that way, there's no harm in saying it.

Is the matriculation packet binding? It's due soon but I'm waiting to hear about other options.

Status changed to "A decision has been made" today....fingers crossed :shrug: