Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Depends on which classroom your in. But if you're really gonna nitpick over it go to another school I suppose. I think it's ridiculous too but I'm more concerned about the place making me a good doc and not makin me in debt forever
I agree completely. As a physician, will you be able to drink whenever you please at work? Probably not. As a physician, should you be trusted to exercise caution with open beverages? Obviously. The policy is just as absurd as the preoccupation with discussing it.

Members don't see this ad.

My gf is currently a 2nd year at LECOM and I am in an MD program in Ohio, I have heard some pretty common complaints from her and her friends so I thought I would chime in.
PROS:
-Dirt cheap tuition for out of state tuition students and low living expenses --> manageable debt load after 4 years.
CONS:
-Dress-code, if you are in PBL and ISP (I guess they now call it DSP), then you will be fine and won't have to deal with this but if you are in LDP, you are in for a world of hurt. I understand all that about professionalism and being a physician etc. but having to dress up everyday 9 hours a day is just outright painful and uncomfortable. The workload is big and with the added stress, I have a feeling that you won't be performing at your best.
-Strict rules: no food/water in class, weird parking/driving rules on campus and god forbid, even the smallest of violations will get you in troubles, sometimes blown-out of proportion by the administration, and it will make you freak the hell out and feel really bad about yourself. You have a feeling that you are constantly being watched and judged. Her friends often joke that it feels like they are under a communist regime at LECOM.
-Facility is clean but that's all there is to it, no cutting edge technology, no nothing, everything is kept to the bare minimum but that is justified by the low tuition.
-Minimal support from staff, you will pretty much be on your own to figure things out for yourself.
-Setting up 3rd year rotation is hit or miss, sometimes your rotation is dropped unexpectedly and you are left to scramble/set up a new one on your own or stuck into an armpit of a site where nobody wants to go (where they send the bottom quartile of the class to do rotation).
-Location: pretty much what others have said, people tend to get out of there as soon as class is done. The area is depressing and run down.

The issues are bad enough that people set up a site to rant about it http://wehatelecom.com/ so I guess my gf and friends are not in the minority.

I would say if this is your only acceptance then you would have no other choice. Otherwise, if the difference in cost of attendance isn't all that much, I would say go somewhere else.

Then again, take my post with a grain of salt and make the decision based on your own research. I feel like the LECOM fanboys are going to show up and deride me but I am just sharing what I heard, right or wrong, they are from the mouth of current LECOM students.

Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
My gf is currently a 2nd year at LECOM and I am in an MD program in Ohio, I have heard some pretty common complaints from her and her friends so I thought I would chime in.
PROS:
-Dirt cheap tuition for out of state tuition students and low living expenses --> manageable debt load after 4 years.
CONS:
-Dress-code, if you are in PBL and ISP (I guess they now call it DSP), then you will be fine and won't have to deal with this but if you are in LDP, you are in for a world of hurt. I understand all that about professionalism and being a physician etc. but having to dress up everyday 9 hours a day is just outright painful and uncomfortable. The workload is big and with the added stress, I have a feeling that you won't be performing at your best.
-Strict rules: no food/water in class, weird parking/driving rules on campus and god forbid, even the smallest of violations will get you in troubles, sometimes blown-out of proportion by the administration, and it will make you freak the hell out and feel really bad about yourself. You have a feeling that you are constantly being watched and judged. Her friends often joke that it feels like they are under a communist regime at LECOM.
-Facility is clean but that's all there is to it, no cutting edge technology, no nothing, everything is kept to the bare minimum but that is justified by the low tuition.
-Minimal support from staff, you will pretty much be on your own to figure things out for yourself.
-Setting up 3rd year rotation is hit or miss, sometimes your rotation is dropped unexpectedly and you are left to scramble/set up a new one on your own or stuck into an armpit of a site where nobody wants to go (where they send the bottom quartile of the class to do rotation).
-Location: pretty much what others have said, people tend to get out of there as soon as class is done. The area is depressing and run down.

The issues are bad enough that people set up a site to rant about it http://wehatelecom.com/ so I guess my gf and friends are not in the minority.

I would say if this is your only acceptance then you would have no other choice. Otherwise, if the difference in cost of attendance isn't all that much, I would say go somewhere else.

Then again, take my post with a grain of salt and make the decision based on your own research. I feel like the LECOM fanboys are going to show up and deride me but I am just sharing what I heard, right or wrong, they are from the mouth of current LECOM students.

Good luck!
I was majorly concerned about this as well especially the site. I addressed it with a few students when I came to visit campus after my interview and I spoke with their teachers and staff. I sat in on a class and it seemed straightforward. The people I spoke with debunked the main issues wehatelecom posted when I spoke with them and they admitted the school has flaws they're working on. It's med school, and the rule annoyances seem legit. But the impression seems to be that most of the frustration of medical school is what exaggerates people's negativity of the school. Bottom line is I made my own opinion and everyone should too. If you have other options go with it but I seriously doubt choosing Lecom is a mistake

Members don't see this ad :)
Could you please tell me about the questions that they asked?
Sure I’d be happy to let you know what I remember.

I don’t remember all the individual questions – some were: where do you see yourself in ten years? Describe a difficult experience. Describe a positive experience. What is your greatest achievement?

There were three group questions that we discussed for about ten mins each. They were: What would you do if you saw a doctor administer the wrong medication to a patient? Is healthcare a right or privilege? As a medical professional do you ever see patients as customers?

I think the questions were different for each group, and might change from week to week.

I hope this helps. Good luck at your interview!

Hey guys, I was curious: people who got accepted, what were your stats?

Congrats to those of you who got accepted into LECOM! I'm a 2nd year student right now getting ready to move out for rotations. I'm renting out my house.

It's pretty close to LECOM (10min drive) and even closer to St Vincent (2-3min drive or 15 minute walk) if you choose to do your rotations there. Grocery store is about 3 minutes drive and a convenience store is about a 3minute walk. Otis 12 (the best wings place in Erie) is about a 1 minute walk from my place.

The rent is $1200+utilities. 1664 sqft 3 bedrooms/1bath. Huge back yard. Lots of storage space in the basement with washer and dryer. Cherry oak hardwood floors. Driveway for 2 cars and street parking. Here's a link to the details and pictures of the house.
http://www.trulia.com/property/3146573398-2640-Hazel-St-Erie-PA-16508#photo-1

Message me if anyone's interested. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
It reminds me of a run-down industrialized city. Everything in the area just seemed old and worn down. Although, Erie does have a lot of great attributes including the peninsula. But lets be real, how often will medical students be able to visit the peninsula?

You've just described most small cities in the east/midwest (PA, OH, WV, IN, IL, parts of NY, NJ, etc.).

I toured at LECOM in Erie 5 days ago and was told they have about 20 open spots left. Just thought I should throw that out there!

Congrats to those of you who got accepted into LECOM! I'm a 2nd year student right now getting ready to move out for rotations. I'm renting out my house.

It's pretty close to LECOM (10min drive) and even closer to St Vincent (2-3min drive or 15 minute walk) if you choose to do your rotations there. Grocery store is about 3 minutes drive and a convenience store is about a 3minute walk. Otis 12 (the best wings place in Erie) is about a 1 minute walk from my place.

The rent is $1200+utilities. 1664 sqft 3 bedrooms/1bath. Huge back yard. Lots of storage space in the basement with washer and dryer. Cherry oak hardwood floors. Driveway for 2 cars and street parking. Here's a link to the details and pictures of the house.
http://www.trulia.com/property/3146573398-2640-Hazel-St-Erie-PA-16508#photo-1

Message me if anyone's interested. Thanks!

I'm actually changing the rent to $800/month for 2 rooms. The third room is kind of small so it can be used as an extra closet or something.

Interviewed in September, placed on alternate list, still waiting for news. Hoping for good news soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Does the 6 in PS worry you? Wow nice VR!
I wasn't happy with it haha, but I got in so I can accept it along with that fact that I will never have to take that test again. Physics was the first class I took in college freshman year, so it had been a while and clearly it had not stuck. When I was studying for the retake, I had a very limited amount of time and knew that I could make a bigger difference reviewing the OChem/Bio and was hoping the PS would stay the same...but hey, I'm letting it roll.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys,
This was dumb of me, but I have an interview in 3 weeks, but don't have an LOR from a DO physician. Am I SOL, or is there a possible way of getting one/using an MD substitute.
Thanks!

Hi guys,
This was dumb of me, but I have an interview in 3 weeks, but don't have an LOR from a DO physician. Am I SOL, or is there a possible way of getting one/using an MD substitute.
Thanks!

From what I understand, the DO LOR is absolutely required.

For anyone that was accepted in LECOM that went through the post-bac program I was wondering if you could offer some advice. I am going into the program with a 25 MCAT and 3.45 gpa. Do you think it is worthwhile to retake the MCAT to bump up the score to be more competitive at the interviews and LECOM as a whole? Also, was there anyone that didn't like LECOM and applied elsewhere during the program? (could you give me your process about going about doing that?)

For anyone that was accepted in LECOM that went through the post-bac program I was wondering if you could offer some advice. I am going into the program with a 25 MCAT and 3.45 gpa. Do you think it is worthwhile to retake the MCAT to bump up the score to be more competitive at the interviews and LECOM as a whole? Also, was there anyone that didn't like LECOM and applied elsewhere during the program? (could you give me your process about going about doing that?)

I am only going to be starting postbac and am on the waitlist for med school currently, but I would recommend taking it again if you feel up to it.

I have a 3.9 gpa in undergrad with a 25 MCAT (9/6/10), but I don't plan to retake it again because I hated that test with a burning passion. I am putting my eggs all in one basket (har har easter reference) and shooting for a 4.0 in the postbac program.

I think it would benefit you to retake the MCAT as well. Avg DO admission score for 2013 was 28.

I am only going to be starting postbac and am on the waitlist for med school currently, but I would recommend taking it again if you feel up to it.

I have a 3.9 gpa in undergrad with a 25 MCAT (9/6/10), but I don't plan to retake it again because I hated that test with a burning passion. I am putting my eggs all in one basket (har har easter reference) and shooting for a 4.0 in the postbac program.

You could probably save yourself a lot of time and money and just retake the MCAT. I doubt your GPA was the problem...

You could probably save yourself a lot of time and money and just retake the MCAT. I doubt your GPA was the problem...

I thought about it, but this past semester was a bit rough in terms of work load, so I found that I was having trouble forcing myself to study for the MCAT.

I had planned to do a May test date, but I didn't end up feeling comfortable enough to take it, and I figured any time in June is damn near too late in the cycle for it to matter.

EDIT: I also want to point out that the postbac is more than just a GPA booster. For many DO schools, the postbac is pretty much exactly what you do for the first year in medical school. If they see that you do very well in the program, they are very likely to accept you regardless of what your MCAT is, within limits of course.

Someone recently came to speak with us that did a postbac at Drexel and got accepted with a 25 on the MCAT. And that's an MD school.

Will be withdrawing my acceptance here to attend my in state school- OU-HCOM. Best of luck to you all in medical school!

you are plenty competitive as is. Just apply more broadly next year and early

I thought about it, but this past semester was a bit rough in terms of work load, so I found that I was having trouble forcing myself to study for the MCAT.

I had planned to do a May test date, but I didn't end up feeling comfortable enough to take it, and I figured any time in June is damn near too late in the cycle for it to matter.

EDIT: I also want to point out that the postbac is more than just a GPA booster. For many DO schools, the postbac is pretty much exactly what you do for the first year in medical school. If they see that you do very well in the program, they are very likely to accept you regardless of what your MCAT is, within limits of course.

Someone recently came to speak with us that did a postbac at Drexel and got accepted with a 25 on the MCAT. And that's an MD school.

I personally don't think taking it in June is way too late in the cycle considering LECOM is interviewing people well into may (which I find weird).

I would really research the curriculum for your Postbac program and your wording. Most postbacs cover most of the prereqs. I would also not put that much weight on that being a ticket into a school. They usually conditionally guarantee you an interview, but only if you have a certain MCAT and GPA in their program. Just make sure to do your research in that regard, iIve heard to many cases where it didn't go so well, they interviewed, got waitlisted and didn't get in. Typically Science master programs are the ones that will have med school level programs, i.e master of science in biomedical science, which is different than a post bac program, but serves the same purpose.

If Drexel let someone in with a 25, I'm sure there is something very specific to their application to make them an exception i.e. economic hardship, adversity, underrepresented...

I personally don't think taking it in June is way too late in the cycle considering LECOM is interviewing people well into may (which I find weird).

I would really research the curriculum for your Postbac program and your wording. Most postbacs cover most of the prereqs. I would also not put that much weight on that being a ticket into a school. They usually conditionally guarantee you an interview, but only if you have a certain MCAT and GPA in their program. Just make sure to do your research in that regard, iIve heard to many cases where it didn't go so well, they interviewed, got waitlisted and didn't get in. Typically Science master programs are the ones that will have med school level programs, i.e master of science in biomedical science, which is different than a post bac program, but serves the same purpose.

If Drexel let someone in with a 25, I'm sure there is something very specific to their application to make them an exception i.e. economic hardship, adversity, underrepresented...

Thing is, it takes over a month to get scores back. If I take it in June, LECOM will literally be starting school by the time I get my scores. There is no telling if they will get the scores by then either.

I don't necessarily think the postbac is a ticket to medical school, but as I said, I am currently on the waitlist for LECOM, so I did something right. In the end when they are filling their seats because of people who left, if I don't get in I can assume that I am just missing a key component that will push them to accept me over someone else.

As for Drexel taking someone with a 25, I think you are putting too much emphasis on the MCAT. Yes, it's important as a weeding out tool, but everyone knows that it has little to no correlation to how good of a doctor you will be. Like I said, many DO postbac programs are exactly the same as what you do in your first year of medical school. If you ace everything in a postbac program, you are pretty likely to go on to ace the first year of medical school and probably the second year as well.

MD schools are slightly different in that they tend to cover courses that are different than their first year medical program. Not only that, but many of them don't even want you if you have all the pre-reqs for medical school. I cannot speak for what Drexel actually teaches though, but we did have a man who served on the admissions committee come and talk to us with a few medical students.

Thing is, it takes over a month to get scores back. If I take it in June, LECOM will literally be starting school by the time I get my scores. There is no telling if they will get the scores by then either.

I don't necessarily think the postbac is a ticket to medical school, but as I said, I am currently on the waitlist for LECOM, so I did something right. In the end when they are filling their seats because of people who left, if I don't get in I can assume that I am just missing a key component that will push them to accept me over someone else.

As for Drexel taking someone with a 25, I think you are putting too much emphasis on the MCAT. Yes, it's important as a weeding out tool, but everyone knows that it has little to no correlation to how good of a doctor you will be. Like I said, many DO postbac programs are exactly the same as what you do in your first year of medical school. If you ace everything in a postbac program, you are pretty likely to go on to ace the first year of medical school and probably the second year as well.

MD schools are slightly different in that they tend to cover courses that are different than their first year medical program. Not only that, but many of them don't even want you if you have all the pre-reqs for medical school. I cannot speak for what Drexel actually teaches though, but we did have a man who served on the admissions committee come and talk to us with a few medical students.

Hey man, Imma let you finish, but I really don't think taking a post bacc is in your best interest, assuming you have all the pre reqs (and if you don't, I recommend community college). Why would you even risk your 3.9 gpa? What if you go and muck it up at the post bacc. Post bacc ain't free either, far from it. Cost of MCAT is insignificant compared to post bacc.

I suggest you just retake the MCAT, until you get it right. If you mess up at the post bacc, those grades get averaged in. Usually schools will just take your best MCAT. I recommend preppin' using examkrackers; really condenses all of the essential information and even throws in a little humor here and there on the side. I really enjoyed studying for the MCAT with the examkracker as my ally. Check the errata though.

Make sure your ducks are in a row for volunteering, etc. as well. Also, get those LORs.

Personally, I think people who do official post baccs are suckers. I just took classes cheaply at the local cc I needed, and it worked out for me.

Also, apply broadly. I only got accepted to one school (well I did cancel a lot of interviews afterwards, but I shudder to think what could have been if I didn't apply to the only school that accepted me). It only takes one. Well anyway, hope it works out.

This is a fitting first post, as I've lurked around here for ages learning the ropes. Thanks SDN.

Reactions: 1 users

Conversely, I am on the waitlist at LECOM with an MCAT of a 29 and a GPA of 3.4 with a 3.1 in science....so GPA isn't everything either.

You are right, though, it is definitely way too late to take the MCAT for this cycle. I was talking about the new cycle, which you would be applying to if you were to do the post bac.

I am having trouble finding what the postbac curriculum at LECOM is...couldn't find it on the site. When I toured there last week they assured me that none of the post bac classes were taught at the med school campus or by the med school professors.

You are also totally wrong about MD programs. Check out the MS in anatomy or MS in pharmacology at Tulane. You are literally taking classes with second year med students. Just trying to give you some advice and save you money, but it sounds like you have it all figured out. Good luck!

Conversely, I am on the waitlist at LECOM with an MCAT of a 29 and a GPA of 3.4 with a 3.1 in science....so GPA isn't everything either.

You are right, though, it is definitely way too late to take the MCAT for this cycle. I was talking about the new cycle, which you would be applying to if you were to do the post bac.

I am having trouble finding what the postbac curriculum at LECOM is...couldn't find it on the site. When I toured there last week they assured me that none of the post bac classes were taught at the med school campus or by the med school professors.

You are also totally wrong about MD programs. Check out the MS in anatomy or MS in pharmacology at Tulane. You are literally taking classes with second year med students. Just trying to give you some advice and save you money, but it sounds like you have it all figured out. Good luck!

The LECOM Post-Bacc is taught at the main campus of the medical school, by medical / pharm school professors, with many lectures identical to those given in the D.O. program. Whoever told you otherwise was utterly incorrect.

Fall curriculum: Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Cell Biology, Genetics, Critical Thinking, & Histology.

Spring curriculum: Anatomy, Pathology, Pharmacology & Toxicology, Immunology, Virology, & Introduction to Clinical Medicine.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi My husband is starting his fourth year at Lecom. If anyone is coming to lecom with a family and has questions about housing, pediatricians, living off loans, etc please feel free to message me. We have an amazing group of families and spouses that support each other through this crazy process. Its pretty scary to uproot your family and start over. hopefully we can help smooth the transition. [email protected]. Good luck everyone! if you don't have a family and questions about the school I can pass those along to him as well

Does anyone know if applying to the post bacc program has any effect on your waitlist position. I dont want to apply for the post bacc if it means that they will decide to not accept me off of the waitlist since I will be applying for a different program.

Does anyone know if applying to the post bacc program has any effect on your waitlist position. I dont want to apply for the post bacc if it means that they will decide to not accept me off of the waitlist since I will be applying for a different program.

I emailed Jamie Murphy about it and he said that it is a completely separate process and has no effect on the medical school application. I don't think anyone knows for sure if that is true or not though.

I emailed Jamie Murphy about it and he said that it is a completely separate process and has no effect on the medical school application. I don't think anyone knows for sure if that is true or not though.
Haha, I hope not. I love LECOM and am trying to come up with a back up plan if I dont get off of the waitlist here or another school Im waitlisted at.

Does anyone know how firm the deadline in the matriculation packet is? I still need to turn in the physical form and get in contact with my childhood doctor for all the immunizations. Do you think they will reject me, after I paid the deposit, if I'm unable to turn in all the paperwork by the date on the packet?

I just received my acceptance letter to the LDP program today.
My stats:
Interviewed April 4th, got the wait list letter April 16th, notification of wait list confirmation received on April 21st. Portal status changed from "you are on the alternate list" to the "decision has been made" on April 23rd.
3.83 cGPA, Double Major in BioChem and Biology. 30P MCAT. Had 4 years of research in an organic synthesis lab, had a publication. Strong ECs and around 100 hours shadowing and 300 volunteering. I was afraid that due to applying so late in the cycle I wasn't going to get in, but I got lucky I guess. Good luck to all those still on the wait list, try and stay optimistic :).

Does anyone know how firm the deadline in the matriculation packet is? I still need to turn in the physical form and get in contact with my childhood doctor for all the immunizations. Do you think they will reject me, after I paid the deposit, if I'm unable to turn in all the paperwork by the date on the packet?

Get it in by the deadline. Its a firm deadline, but they won't reject you if it's a couple days late. You have to keep in mind that confirmation for some of those immunizations could take months. That said, you don't want to get on the bad side of anyone before even arriving on campus. Just get as much as you can done by the deadline and have a plan for the rest.

Also, to be clear, immunizations are one of the things that takes longer, so you have some leeway with them, but things like the drug test and background check are not so flexible.

I just received my acceptance letter to the LDP program today.
My stats:
Interviewed April 4th, got the wait list letter April 16th, notification of wait list confirmation received on April 21st. Portal status changed from "you are on the alternate list" to the "decision has been made" on April 23rd.
3.83 cGPA, Double Major in BioChem and Biology. 30P MCAT. Had 4 years of research in an organic synthesis lab, had a publication. Strong ECs and around 100 hours shadowing and 300 volunteering. I was afraid that due to applying so late in the cycle I wasn't going to get in, but I got lucky I guess. Good luck to all those still on the wait list, try and stay optimistic :).

Congratulations!

Hey guys, Jamie Murphy came to my school yesterday and I spoke with him a little bit about the situation at LECOM. I don't remember the specifics, but apparently the waitlist is moving pretty fast this year. I would ignore how many seats are currently open, which others have posted about.

Also, I spoke with him more about the postbac program. They hold a certain number of seats for postbac students, like 40 I believe. They also interview immediately after the fall semester. If you did well, with at least a 3.0 and an MCAT of 23, and you interviewed well, you are pretty much guaranteed acceptance into the medical program. Now, it is possibly that they fill up before the spring semester starts, but it's unlikely. At the very least, they have 40 seats open for postbac students, but they could very well take them all.

He said there's about 64 people currently enrolled in the postbac program, whereas there was over 100 last year. Additionally, something like 20 people either failed out of the program or left it for something else, such as getting accepted midway through the postbac program. The average GPA was close to a 3.1 or 3.2 I believe he said.

Just some food for thought if any of you are wondering about the postbac situation.

He said there's about 64 people currently enrolled in the postbac program, whereas there was over 100 last year. Additionally, something like 20 people either failed out of the program or left it for something else, such as getting accepted midway through the postbac program.

One minor note: 64 (or close to it) is the number of people that successfully completed the Post-Bacc year. We started with ~95 D.O. hopefuls (plus Pharm). Several of those ~64 are committed elsewhere.

Just completed my Post Bacc Application, praying it doesn't affect my position on the LECOM Seton Hill Waitlist..........

The LECOM Post-Bacc is taught at the main campus of the medical school, by medical / pharm school professors, with many lectures identical to those given in the D.O. program. Whoever told you otherwise was utterly incorrect.

Fall curriculum: Physiology, Biochemistry, Microbiology, Cell Biology, Genetics, Critical Thinking, & Histology.

Spring curriculum: Anatomy, Pathology, Pharmacology & Toxicology, Immunology, Virology, & Introduction to Clinical Medicine.

It is not taught at the med school campus, it is taught at another campus in Erie.