Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
what's the interview date in july? thanks

It is July 19th for this year apparently.

For those we had interviews there before, what is the best way to get there? I live in NYC and I can either drive there (a 7 hour drive according to google) or fly to Cleveland and rent a car and then drive to Erie, which is an hour and half drive. How did you guys get there?

I've been lurking on this thread for a bit :p, and you guys have been really helpful!

Members don't see this ad.

It is July 19th for this year apparently.

For those we had interviews there before, what is the best way to get there? I live in NYC and I can either drive there (a 7 hour drive according to google) or fly to Cleveland and rent a car and then drive to Erie, which is an hour and half drive. How did you guys get there?

I've been lurking on this thread for a bit :p, and you guys have been really helpful!

Its really whatever is best for you and most cost effective. I know people who came in from NYC and did both (one drove and one flew either to Cleveland or to Pittsburgh).

I drove, but my trip was shorter than your's. That being said, I drove for interviews that were just as far away (and that was in the winter). Since its summer time, either way you wouldn't have too much to worry about.

You need a car in Erie. Personally, I would drive, just because I like the idea of having more freedom (like not having to catch a flight back), but if its cheaper or the same price to fly, you could just do that and its probably easier.

The interview is VERY laid back. Its a group interview, and you answer maybe a few questions directed at you, followed by a round table discussion about health care and other ethics-related issues.

Check out the SDN interview feedback for the specific questions LECOM interviewers ask people, study your app, read up briefly on recent healthcare issues, and overall just be yourself and know why you want to be there. The LECOM interview is pretty much the least stressful interview that you'll have.

Reactions: 1 user
I am applying here this cycle and I have a 3.86 overall gpa and a 3.78 science and scored a 23 6ps9v8bs on my mcat. I am a Hispanic Texas resident.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am applying here this cycle and I have a 3.86 overall gpa and a 3.78 science and scored a 23 6ps9v8bs on my mcat. I am a Hispanic Texas resident.

I think you just make their MCAT cutoff, so you definitely have a chance. Its worth applying here and they have accepted people with your stats before. Being a URM is also helpful.

Any chance of retaking for a higher score? You have great GPAs, and a 26/27 would give you an excellent shot at any DO program, and many MD programs.

Be sure you apply to TCOM and even a good amount of Texas schools if you have the money, because not only are they great schools, many show IS bias.

Hey,

I'm interviewing on 7/19. Is anyone else also interviewing then?

So I submitted my secondary on the first day it opened, 6/26, yet my admissions status is still "If you have not submitted your supplemental application, click the link on the left to do so. If you have, this message will update once we have processed it. Do not submit another application."

Has anyone else gone a week without them processing their application? I understand they may just not have gotten to it yet, but I'd like to make sure at least someone else is in the same boat as me or I might have to call them to make sure nothing is wrong.

So I submitted my secondary on the first day it opened, 6/26, yet my admissions status is still "If you have not submitted your supplemental application, click the link on the left to do so. If you have, this message will update once we have processed it. Do not submit another application."

Has anyone else gone a week without them processing their application? I understand they may just not have gotten to it yet, but I'd like to make sure at least someone else is in the same boat as me or I might have to call them to make sure nothing is wrong.

Yes, I realized that yesterday. I filled mine out June 26th, and was charged the fee, but it still had that message. I called LECOM and they confirmed they never received it for processing so I filled out another and asked them to credit the first charge back, and I sent them the receipts.

Yes, I realized that yesterday. I filled mine out June 26th, and was charged the fee, but it still had that message. I called LECOM and they confirmed they never received it for processing so I filled out another and asked them to credit the first charge back, and I sent them the receipts.

Looks like I might be making a call tomorrow. I'm in the same boat. I was so confused when people started getting ii's and mine wasn't even processed yet and I submitted mine the first day. Congrats on those by the way!

There portal says I was selected for an interview but I haven't received an email yet? Whats up with that

Did you guys all get a secondary email before filling it out? I turned in my primary 10 days ago and still have yet to hear anything from them. Anybody else in same boat?

my status says they received the secondary but i didn't receive any email or conformation from LECOM

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks hallowmann! I think I'm going to fly this time. See y'all there and good luck for those who are still waiting, hang in there!

It is finally showing I have submitted my secondary, even though I submitted the 26th. Hopefully a week wont set me behind too far.

It is finally showing I have submitted my secondary, even though I submitted the 26th. Hopefully a week wont set me behind too far.

Mine update today too....i also sent mine in the first day

Don't worry guys. The name of the game is patience. It'll come, but schools are notorious for being late, and its still VERY early in the cycle.

If you submitted the secondary and it still doesn't say processed or complete, I would contact them, but again don't be too worried, you all are still ahead of the game. They probably got hundreds of apps the first day so they are probably just working through the backlog.

I called Admissions this morning. Lisa said that so long as you received the Customer Receipt/Purchase Confirmation email that you should be fine. Admissions are still in the process of completing applications. I submitted mine on the 26th because of the initial glitch in the system. She said if your Portal does not show a change but sometime mid next week then to give a call back.

just got the invite today!! what hotel will you be staying at?
I'm not sure yet. Probably something like a Comfort Inn. I'll probably be too excited to sleep anyway. I'm coming from Virginia. How about you?

I'm not sure yet. Probably something like a Comfort Inn. I'll probably be too excited to sleep anyway. I'm coming from Virginia. How about you?

I am from Cleveland so I have a short drive. I was thinking of staying at the comfort inn or econolodge. Figured I can get a good breakfast and relax in the whirlpool. The other ones are to expensive for me.

I am from Cleveland so I have a short drive. I was thinking of staying at the comfort inn or econolodge. Figured I can get a good breakfast and relax in the whirlpool. The other ones are to expensive for me.
That's kind of funny. I'm going to Cleveland after the interview.

I'm assuming they're grabbing local and/or high stat applicants first?

I think they are. My stats are very average and wasn't contacted for interview.

Seems that the school is trying to "secure" students with high stats before they get picked up by other schools.

I think they are. My stats are very average and wasn't contacted for interview.

Seems that the school is trying to "secure" students with high stats before they get picked up by other schools.

I have 3.7 gpa and 25 mcat and wasn't invited

3.6 and 29. Submitted secondary on 6/26 and was notified complete on 7/1. I wasn't invited to the party either.

i certainly want to get an interview early, but not too early. i'm still writing the secondaries and learning about myself, so I'm in no shape or form to interview right now.

Reactions: 1 user
Wow... It's so early in the cycle and people are already gettind iis! It seems like LECOM is becoming MCAT obsessed just like NSU and AZCOM... Lol

i certainly want to get an interview early, but not too early. i'm still writing the secondaries and learning about myself, so I'm in no shape or form to interview right now.

Haha, same here. I want an interview invite already, but not for July or early August. I need to save up some money and get in shape (literally) first.

Haha, same here. I want an interview invite already, but not for July or early August. I need to save up some money and get in shape (literally) first.

agree. money is also a concern for me. i get paid very little from my job and will need several weeks of savings to have enough money for flights

That's kind of funny. I'm going to Cleveland after the interview.

I agree with that. Well if people with ii want to try to meet the day before the interview to chat
PM me

I'm assuming they're grabbing local and/or high stat applicants first?

I don't have that high of stats. Only a 3.7 and 26 MCAT. I dont know how I got an interview this early. It also through off my budget since I was not expecting an invite till at least September.

3.59 cGPA
3.3 sGPA
4.0 Masters GPA
26 MCAT - 10/8/8.

I haven't gotten a secondary from EITHER Lecom.

Think I should call?

Yeah, give the schools a call on Monday. You have nothing to lose.

3.59 cGPA
3.3 sGPA
4.0 Masters GPA
26 MCAT - 10/8/8.

I haven't gotten a secondary from EITHER Lecom.

Think I should call?

Depends on how you address it. Maybe call with the intention to verify your primary application was submitted correctly to get the conversation going....

Wow... It's so early in the cycle and people are already gettind iis! It seems like LECOM is becoming MCAT obsessed just like NSU and AZCOM... Lol

This is very, very good news for me, my MCAT looks much nicer than my GPA does :D

I'm a PA resident with a 3.8/29 and I haven't received a secondary from LECOM or LECOM-B. I can't remember when my primary was verified, but I've been receiving primaries from other schools since like June 26th. Should I contact them or something? I don't want to sound presumptuous, but I think my stats wouldn't be grounds for a pre-secondary rejection.

I'm a PA resident with a 3.8/29 and I haven't received a secondary from LECOM or LECOM-B. I can't remember when my primary was verified, but I've been receiving primaries from other schools since like June 26th. Should I contact them or something? I don't want to sound presumptuous, but I think my stats wouldn't be grounds for a pre-secondary rejection.

Maybe your stats were too high. Just kidding, I would call them...

Last edited:
Is there a chance you are missing some sort of req class? I would wait untill next week. I just got put under review so you have plenty of time. The worst thing you can do is look desperate or irritated at them, then you will be in an off situation.

the status says my application is under review!

Yeah I've heard that LECOM can sometimes never ever respond even after you are complete. That's what I'm scared of. False hope :(

It honestly could take months, but that's not different from most schools. If they want to interview right away, they will. If they want to reject you right away, they will. If they want to hold off and interview you later in the fall/winter or even in the spring, they will hold off, and offer you an ii about a month in advance.

I've seen people on mdapps who are complete before august and never hear anything even after the cycle ends. That's stressful especially if you haven't gotten any acceptances and are trying to consider backup plans. Wouldn't it make sense just to at least send a rejection email?

Honestly I doubt that happens a lot. Sometimes people don't update their MDapps after they're accepted, don't put the right address on their apps or even just throw away the letter by accident. Since LECOM sends all rejection/acceptance by mail, there is a pretty good possibility that at least a few people will have some issue getting it.

Hey guys so the portal says that my application is under review, but under my letters/credits folder it has that I am missing my mcat scores, secondary, and many of the pre-reqs... Could this just be that they actually haven't looked at my application yet?

Hey guys so the portal says that my application is under review, but under my letters/credits folder it has that I am missing my mcat scores, secondary, and many of the pre-reqs... Could this just be that they actually haven't looked at my application yet?

Yeah I have the same issue. I assume they will adjust for it this week because I just began my "under review" status.