Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
In the secondary, you indicate your campus preference. You can list Erie as your first choice and Seton Hill as your second or vice versa. You can also simply indicate preference for one campus.

awesome! Thanks! :) Other than location, I wonder what are the differences between the campuses. Has anyone come across this information?

Thanks once again!

Members don't see this ad.

awesome! Thanks! :) Other than location, I wonder what are the differences between the campuses. Has anyone come across this information?

Thanks once again!

SH has pure PBL and no anatomy lab.

If you prefer one site over the other would it be smart to only fill out one secondary for this school? What are the secondary questions? Can someone PM me with them.

Thanks! :)

Do you mean Erie/Seton Hill vs Bradenton? If so, it really doesn't matter whether you fill out both or not, they are two completely different admissions processes. The only overlap in the process is that if you are accepted at both, you can only put down one deposit to hold your seat.

As far as the Erie/Seton Hill secondaries go, its one secondary and you can indicate campus preference on it, but even if you don't, at the interview (if you go to Erie), you can rank your pathway preference, and Seton Hill PBL is one of the pathways.

Thanks once again!

The primary difference other than location is that Seton Hill is strictly PBL, whereas Erie has the PCSP, LDP, DSP, and of course Erie-PBL pathways.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes that happened to me, and I waited 2 days and everything was showing complete. I think they just haven't actually updated it yet. It's a process. It does not mean you haven't turned anything in, or that they don't have it. Just give them a day or 2.

Even though you submitted your secondary and got the email saying your application was processed? I just checked the portal, and it says my application is under review.

Definitely my favorite secondary so far.

The primary difference other than location is that Seton Hill is strictly PBL, whereas Erie has the PCSP, LDP, DSP, and of course Erie-PBL pathways.

Hey Hallowman or anyone... so I am not too sure about these differences... I am sure that they are different styles of teaching. Is there somewhere where I can get good information on these? How will I know which one is best for me?

Thanks once again for all your help!

check out LECOM's website - it explains everything

Thanks you are right... it is all right there!

In addition to the website, there are some pretty good posts by current students in the older school threads.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=912629 - Slane has some good posts describing the pathways on the first few pages.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showpost.php?p=13678382&postcount=1044 - Check the LECOM reviews on this thread too for more info.

Bottom line: PBL = lots of self-study (tons of book reading) and small group discussions with lots of "free" time (i.e. study time), LDP = full day of required attendance lectures and mainly studying from powerpoints, DSP = access to lectures, but mainly you work/learn independently with an advisor and certain objectives/modules, usually good for people with a history of some type of medical education.

Dang I got a interview invite, they asked me to choose a date. Very very unexpected but quite a pleasant surprise. I submitted my secondary on 7/9.

Interview invite as well. Very excited to say the least!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview invite received today! Super excited!

anyone who is interviewing on 7/19 did you get a call from them yet confirming your attendance?

anyone who is interviewing on 7/19 did you get a call from them yet confirming your attendance?

No, Ive been wondering the same thing. I emailed back a confirmation but they haven't called

AACOMAS verified my application and it says it was released to schools on 7/11. I have already received two secondaries, but have not received one for LECOM.

I was wondering how long after your application was released did it take to receive secondaries.

My stats are 3.95 science and non-science and 28 MCAT.

Submitted my secondary on 6-26 and got an interview invite this morning!

Even though you submitted your secondary and got the email saying your application was processed? I just checked the portal, and it says my application is under review.

Yep

No, Ive been wondering the same thing. I emailed back a confirmation but they haven't called

I don't remember them calling me last year to confirm. Don't worry, as long as your date is scheduled its still on. You can call them to confirm just in case you're worried, but its not necessary. When you go in your name should be on the list.

AACOMAS verified my application and it says it was released to schools on 7/11. I have already received two secondaries, but have not received one for LECOM.

I was wondering how long after your application was released did it take to receive secondaries.

My stats are 3.95 science and non-science and 28 MCAT.

If you don't get it in 1-2 weeks (so some time next week), I'd contact them.

Anyone else have an interview 8/23? I got my invite yesterday and I am SUPER excited!

Hey guys, I'm pretty psyched about my August 2nd interview - and by that I mean slightly terrified.

Does anyone have any idea when I might get a final decision from them considering my interview date? I'm very interested considering if I get accepted here I'm pretty much going to write off about half of the schools I applied to and hopefully save some application money.

Also, generally speaking, does anyone have a sense of how the interview invite affects your chance of admission?

Hey guys, I'm pretty psyched about my August 2nd interview - and by that I mean slightly terrified.

Does anyone have any idea when I might get a final decision from them considering my interview date? I'm very interested considering if I get accepted here I'm pretty much going to write off about half of the schools I applied to and hopefully save some application money.

Also, generally speaking, does anyone have a sense of how the interview invite affects your chance of admission?
Generally, if you get an interview invite it increases your chance of admission. If you don't get an interview invite, you have a 0% chance of admission.

I'm interviewing on 08/16. Ticket is so expensive! ��. What hotel would you guys recommend to stay ??

Yeah I agree! I am thinking about just driving out there, I'm not the biggest fan of airplanes haha :laugh:

Just sent off my secondary for Brandenton.

Some of yall said we should also fill out Erie at that time--but I'm not seeing that option.

Should we be waiting for an Erie invite as well?

It usually takea 2-3weeks after the interview to get the decision. If your file is complete by the time of your interview (i.e. all your LORs are in), the committee will meet the following Wednesday (usually), then make a decision and send it out by snail mail by Friday/Monday. So basically depending on how far away you live you should have the letter (acceptance, rejection, alternate) in 2-3weeks.

LECOM interviews a lot of people. I believe someone last year mentioned its in the 1000-1500 range. That being said, they also have close to 400 seats, and they will likely accept 1.5-2 times their seat numbers. On top of that, they also tend to have a lot of alternate list movement. So basically, it seems they accept around a third of the people they interview, which seems about standard for many medical schools. Forget about all that though. Stats like that mean very little when you dealing with a specific individual, so just try your best to show who you are in the most positive way possible.

The interview at Erie is very low key, and laid back, because its a group setting and most of it is just an open discussion about a specific topic.

I'm interviewing on 08/16. Ticket is so expensive! ��. What hotel would you guys recommend to stay ??

Yeah I agree! I am thinking about just driving out there, I'm not the biggest fan of airplanes haha :laugh:

Yeah, tickets are expensive if you fly directly into Erie, because its a small airport. A lot of people fly into Cleveland, Pittsburgh or Buffalo and just rent a car to drive the remaining 1.5-2hrs.

Just sent off my secondary for Brandenton.

Some of yall said we should also fill out Erie at that time--but I'm not seeing that option.

Should we be waiting for an Erie invite as well?

You should see Erie in the drop down menu for the secondary. You submitted your app to Erie right? If you did, they just probably didn't process it yet. Just wait 1-2 weeks, and if you don't hear from them, I'd contact them.

Last edited:
Thanks, that's the type of information I was curious about. I'm surprised that the interview has no individual, 1 on 1 component? That to me seems a little odd.

Thanks, that's the type of information I was curious about. I'm surprised that the interview has no individual, 1 on 1 component? That to me seems a little odd.

The group interview format is not that bad. You do get 1 on 1 questions that you will have to answer in front of everyone. :)

I had mine yesterday.. Hi!

if anyone's interested I posted a description of it on the Seton Hill thread.

Hey guys, how long after you submitted did you guys notice the req. letters and credits update?

I submitted on 7/15 and got the under review email but no update in the req letters and credits
yet

what was the name of the software that all the students were using? looked pretty cool

A little off topic

I have looked into LECOMs match list the last few years and they consistently put students into 1-johns hopkins er residency (#1 on the planet) and a few in the mayo clinic.

How do they do that? special relationships? or just really really good students? any insight because its really awesome they do that.

How long after sending in the secondary should we expect a response? I submitted mine on 7/10.

A little off topic

I have looked into LECOMs match list the last few years and they consistently put students into 1-johns hopkins er residency (#1 on the planet) and a few in the mayo clinic.

How do they do that? special relationships? or just really really good students? any insight because its really awesome they do that.

Are you sure that's a JH Main match? There are a few branch hospitals, which are very different from the hopkins main. If it is in fact main (I would be very surprised about that) then its probably a connections thing or just a few superstars. Get a 270 on Step 1, get good LORs, and do some research, and you'd be able to get an amazing match almost anywhere.

How long after sending in the secondary should we expect a response? I submitted mine on 7/10.

This really varies. Some people heard back in weeks and some didn't hear back until December/January. A lot of factors involved like how far in the queue you are, your stats, etc.

Has anyone who interviewed at LECOM last Friday seen their admissions status change to "a decision has been made"? I know they said they review them on Wednesdays maybe I'm just being inpatient....

Has anyone who interviewed at LECOM last Friday seen their admissions status change to "a decision has been made"? I know they said they review them on Wednesdays maybe I'm just being inpatient....

So i submitted my secondary on 7/2 and I still don't have anything in my credits folder thing. It says my secondary is submitted next to my bradenton secondary it says "in progress"

does anyone else's still show up like this even after submitting a secondary?

So i submitted my secondary on 7/2 and I still don't have anything in my credits folder thing. It says my secondary is submitted next to my bradenton secondary it says "in progress"

does anyone else's still show up like this even after submitting a secondary?

yea mine is the same!

My primary was submitted a week ago, my stats: sgpa: 3.4, CPA:3.26, MCAT 27, but I didn't get second yet..... Getting. Nervous.....

They said it could be as soon as this Wednesday. It all depends on if the committee met this week. I believe we were told that an e-mail would be sent, and then we'd have to wait on a letter signed by the Dean telling us the final decision.

Goodluck to everyone interviewing soon! I just got my secondary today and really want to submit it soon but have no idea what my ACT scores/dates were. I heard the College Board takes a while to get back to you. Do you think they will accept my very rough guestimate or should I leave it blank? >_<