Lake Erie (LECOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Early decision here, still no status update ...

gc, are you ED ?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
I interviewed early Aug, still no change in portal. I also did early notification.

Members don't see this ad :)
The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days.

:inpain:

Reactions: 1 users
The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days.

:inpain:

I'm betting the 30 day language is just to keep them from getting 1000 phone calls a day starting the day after the status changes. Please keep us up to date on when your letter arrives.

anyone know if we can call or do we have to wait for the letter? the status change is such a tease.

One more week...lol!
FYI, for those on the edge of their seats with nothing left to clean in their houses: per phone call to LECOM yesterday, I was told there was a meeting today for review of early decision applicants. Not sure, though, when letters will be sent.

did you pay attention at the interview?
no i heard what they said. but i also know other schools, like LECOM-B, said the same thing and people were able to call and hear a decision earlier than waiting for the official letter or email. so i didn't know if anyone had tried here and had success. like i said....it's just a huge tease now so i was just hopefully wishing it was possible

Members don't see this ad :)
Admissions decision. Currently making a tent near my mailbox to live in for the next month.

Reactions: 5 users
Mine changed too!! OMG I hope a letter shows up by Friday since I'm so close.

Anyone know historically how long after portal change people usually get the letter? I'm assuming/hoping its not actually 30 days

Anyone know historically how long after portal change people usually get the letter? I'm assuming/hoping its not actually 30 days

A week after I finished my secondary for Bradenton, on the portal it said "A decision has been made on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days.". It was a rejection -- didn't get selected for the interview. I think it took about 6-8 business days before I received the letter. I am assuming the letter came from Florida -- and I live in the DC vicinity.

:arghh: No change. Were you all August interviews? Any Septembers see a change?

I interviewed Late August -- still the status hasn't changed! I think they are slowly updating it from today...it should change by tomorrow or by this friday at the latest I'd say.

i hope its not 30 days. and they mail it out on Sept 30 if you chose that date.... if not before *again wishful thinking*

A week after I finished my secondary for Bradenton, on the portal it said "A decision has been made on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days.". It was a rejection -- didn't get selected for the interview. I think it took about 6-8 business days before I received the letter. I am assuming the letter came from Florida -- and I live in the DC vicinity.

I got that too. I was totally pfft.

Im pretty sure that they said that once the status changes that means that they have mailed it and it should arrive in a few days but I could be completely off with that.

Mine took 3 weeks.
Edit: I'm in the NY area.

I can't believe they actually sent out letters for pre interview rejections! That seems unnecessary

Yikes! I think priceline asks if the driver will be over 25. It has been so long since I was under 25 that I really didn't give that issue any thought at all. That really bites. There should totally be a pre-med discount. A 23 year old on their way to a med school interview is NOT the same as a 23 year old renting a car to drive on a crazy multistate road trip.

Wait what am I supposed to do if I'm only 21?

Here's a question. I interviewed at Erie and ranked my first choice for PBL at Seton Hill. My status used to not have Seton Hill listed. Now it says under Seton Hill, " The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." Under Erie it says the same thing but within 10 days. Any way of knowing what this could mean?

Here's a question. I interviewed at Erie and ranked my first choice for PBL at Seton Hill. My status used to not have Seton Hill listed. Now it says under Seton Hill, " The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days." Under Erie it says the same thing but within 10 days. Any way of knowing what this could mean?

Where on the portal do you see "Seton Hill" option? I only see Erie or Bradenton. Not sure what this means though, hopefully good news :).

That sounds very hopeful for you. I would think that if it were going to be a rejection, they wouldn't bother to have added on Seton Hill separately. If you aren't going to get an acceptance or at least a waitlist offer, they could just send the one letter to say thanks, but no thanks.

The time frame variance could be a typo, or it could mean something, but either way, I am optimistic for you.

Where on the portal do you see "Seton Hill" option? I only see Erie or Bradenton. Not sure what this means though, hopefully good news :).

Seton Hill is a subcampus of the Erie school. You apply to Erie, but can select Seton Hill. Apparently, if you do, they administer their decision announcements separately. Even if you interview at Seton Hill, you can select Erie as your preferred campus, and vice versa. It would seem that Erie is the default, and that the Seton Hill option is only activated as relevant.

My uneducated guess is that if they were going to flat out reject, it would be easiest not to add the Seton Hill process to the portal. At least, if I were doing it, rejections would be as simple as possible. Complexity suggests a more positive outcome.

It's all quite confusing! I interviewed at Seton Hill on 8/21 and chose Seton Hill PBL as my first choice. On my portal under the LECOM-Erie tab my status changed to a decision has been made, but LECOM-Seton Hill still say the interview status. I assume that whoever changed the status just picked one and updated it lol.

Anxiety has the best of me right now
upload_2014-9-25_8-22-1.png

Attachments

• upload_2014-9-25_8-21-32.png
    upload_2014-9-25_8-21-32.png
    11.3 KB · Views: 33
Seton Hill is a subcampus of the Erie school. You apply to Erie, but can select Seton Hill. Apparently, if you do, they administer their decision announcements separately. Even if you interview at Seton Hill, you can select Erie as your preferred campus, and vice versa. It would seem that Erie is the default, and that the Seton Hill option is only activated as relevant.

My uneducated guess is that if they were going to flat out reject, it would be easiest not to add the Seton Hill process to the portal. At least, if I were doing it, rejections would be as simple as possible. Complexity suggests a more positive outcome.

I see what you are saying. I think the Seton Hill option is shown to for candidates who selected PBL as their first choice during the interview. I chose LDP pathway as my top choice, so that's probably why I don't see it. Regarding the rejections -- yes I totally agree with you! My status still hasn't changed...smh lol. Has yours?

can i not have fun on sdn anymore????

We are all just a little tense. You may mean to tease, but other neurotic nailbiting pre-meds can't hear the smile in the text. This whole process makes people really sensitive to being judged, since that is exactly what adcoms are doing. Even the most sanguine among us are liable to react badly to anything percieved as criticism.

I see what you are saying. I think the Seton Hill option is shown to for candidates who selected PBL as their first choice during the interview. I chose LDP pathway as my top choice, so that's probably why I don't see it. Regarding the rejections -- yes I totally agree with you! My status still hasn't changed...smh lol. Has yours?

Nope.

"Thank you for interviewing at the Erie Campus, you will be notifed when the committee makes a decision on your application."

At this point, I'd better get into this school. After all, I've made like 20% of the posts in this thread all by myself.

Nope.

"Thank you for interviewing at the Erie Campus, you will be notifed when the committee makes a decision on your application."

At this point, I'd better get into this school. After all, I've made like 20% of the posts in this thread all by myself.
Ha! You should send them an update to your application stating this!
I'm sure that they're taking this week to review the ED applicants and send out the decisions. Do you think that it will either be a yes or a no? My thought is, what if you're a good candidate in the ED program, but they've already sent out acceptances for all of their seats. Would they inform you that you're on the waiting list?

I wonder what kind of order they're reviewing the applications in? I was interviewed Aug - 29, what about you Promethean? (I know that you've already said this in the forum, but I lack the motivation to go searching for it)

I'm sure that they're taking this week to review the ED applicants and send out the decisions. Do you think that it will either be a yes or a no? My thought is, what if you're a good candidate in the ED program, but they've already sent out acceptances for all of their seats. Would they inform you that you're on the waiting list?

If I thought it would help, you can bet that I would. I've already written out the check, addressed the envelope, and applied the stamp. I want LECOM. If I thought that there were any way to communicate my committment to them that wouldn't make them feel like I am some kind of crazy DO school stalker, I would do it.

One of their grads has been offering for weeks to call in a recommendation that they accept me, and I kept telling him not to do it, because I was afraid it would come across as too pushy. This last week, I finally said that if he has that kind of relationship with them, and knows who to call, that yes, I would be grateful for any help I could get. I'm still anxious that it might do more harm than good, though.

I am pretty sure that they will put some folks on the waiting list. They want to fill seats with the people that they think will be the best fit for their school. If there is someone that they like enough to not reject outright, but who might also not be their first choice, I can see them offering waitlist positions, even now.

If I thought it would help, you can bet that I would. I've already written out the check, addressed the envelope, and applied the stamp. I want LECOM. If I thought that there were any way to communicate my committment to them that wouldn't make them feel like I am some kind of crazy DO school stalker, I would do it.

One of their grads has been offering for weeks to call in a recommendation that they accept me, and I kept telling him not to do it, because I was afraid it would come across as too pushy. This last week, I finally said that if he has that kind of relationship with them, and knows who to call, that yes, I would be grateful for any help I could get. I'm still anxious that it might do more harm than good, though.

hahaha, DO or die. :p...jk lol. But yea, same here, have a few current students who can write a letter for me but I told them not to because I feel like it might harm my application.

Last edited:
I looked at last years thread. The fastest was 3 days after portal, slowest about 10 days after portal.

Yep.

Has anyone tried calling about their decision that is in the mail?

Wait what am I supposed to do if I'm only 21?
you can still rent a car. they will just charge you millions of dollars. and by millions I mean $50-100 a day extra. When I interviewed at Bradenton and would need a car for more than a day I made my mom go with me to rent it. Ended up being cheaper to do that then go by myself. But for Erie I just had to suck it up and pay it.

Has anyone tried calling about their decision that is in the mail?

In previous years that has only been met with silence. Unlike Bradenton, looks like Erie will not give decisions over the phone.

I looked at last years thread. The fastest was 3 days after portal, slowest about 10 days after portal.

Yep.

THANK YOU for doing that research!

My portal just changed.

" The Admissions Committee has made a decision on your application. You will receive an official letter in the mail within 30 days. "

Ho. Lee. Crap. OMGomgOMGomgOMGomgZOMG!!!

You have to understand. I have been half convinced that they wouldn't give me an early decision. At the interview, Jamie Murphy said that just because you selected early decision wasn't a guarantee that you would GET an early decision. If there was something peculiar about your file, or if they decided that they needed to see your fall 2014 grades before they could make up their minds, then they might not review the file until later in the term.

I've been convinced that since I still need to do one last pre-req course and since I had so many issues with transcripts and other oddities in my file, that I would be set aside until December, or worse. I've been trying to talk sense to myself by saying sensible things to other people here, but anxiety sneaks up on you at times like this.

So, now at least I know that my fate is in the mail, and I can obsess about something new. I'll be roasting marshmellows at my camp by the mailbox, if anyone wants to join me for some smores.

EDIT: Gonna go look at my portal again, to make sure that it really changed.

Yep.
In that case I'm really hoping for Saturday ! And thank you for checking this